“Maybe a bit "over rated" ...”

The Texas Roadhouse
Ranked #19 of 258 Restaurants in State College
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had dinner here on a wintry night recently , the place was packed. I had experience this chain in another city, yet this was our first time in the State College Roadhouse. I would give this place a 6.5 out of 10. for the following reasons.
on the Positive: the Steaks that were ordered at our table were very good, and the portions are very large. the side dishes Salads and appetizers (fried pickles) were also delicious. The service was decent, the selection of Beers was pleasing as well.
On the Negative: I ordered a Regular Margarita, & although the reviews i had read said that these were great margarita's , I was disappointed. In my opinion a great margarita is great tasting, where you can easily taste the tequila, w/o being too strong and is large enough that it is'nt gone in 4-5 sips, & most importantly is not overpriced.
My wife had the ribs and chicken combo & said it was average at best.
So in summary, for a meal that ran us approx 60 dollars (with tip) I thought it lacked quality and quality in a few areas.
If you love a great big steak, w/a cold beer. I would go here, but for the rest... it was so so.

2  Thank James M

Reviewed January 9, 2013

It may be a chain, but the food and friendliness of the staff make a good impression. I seem to take left overs home. Don't really like how packed in the tables are, but I guess room is money.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

I know this place is hopping most times, but service can be very slow. After being ignored at the meat case, went and sat at the bar - gave up on picking out my steak. It took about 10 min to eta beer despite having 2 bartenders and a backer at the bar when I showed up.

Food was good as most TRs, good value for what you recieve. Conversational din was not too bad, but the music is way too loud in the bar area for conversation - glad I wasn't there for any.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I Love the food here and can honestly say I have never had a bad meal. On the flipside, it is a little loud...not somewhere to go for a quiet dinner.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I usually don’t care for chains; however, I make an exception for this one. My steak was done to perfection, juicy and full of flavor. No A1 needed for this steak. In California you can expect to pay about $40 for this quality, I got my steak for 18.99, it’s called the Dallas something. I added mushrooms, and my sides were vegetable sand a Cesar salad. I loved the Veggies, they were tender but not over done, the salad was average so next time I intend to try the Italian dressing. Nic was my server (bar tender, I sat at the bar) the lovely lady who seated me (I didn’t get her name and I wish I had because she was awesome too) also took time to check in with me, was my meal okay? Were all my needs met? She was great. As I was asking Nic about the area, Andrea who was serving tables behind me offered up some suggestions, I can’t say this enough, the service here is fabulous, if you opt for a table, ask for Andrea, she is simply a good person who is giving you her all. Tip her well, she is a student who is going to be a teacher. Nic is on it, they all really care about their reputation here. Basically everyone I met was proud of this restaurant and was sincere about wanting me to have a good experience. I will be back. The only thing wrong with this place, is it's a littel loud. But thats okay.