“no thanks!!!!!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Starlight B&B and Inns
new jersey
“no thanks!!!!!”
Reviewed July 5, 2009

inhospitable environment created by the hosts... should not be in the hospitality business. rooms bare minimum.. and i mean bare... hot water a luxury.. if they could have charged for the use of their beat up tennis rackets, dead balls, broken oars on the rowboat, they would have. broken plastic adirondack style chairs ring the dock area... could they be any chintzier?????? we still had a nice time in spite of them..... definitely are not looking for repeat business here!! thanks ,but no thanks. the 15% gratuity charge is really a rip off since it is on the entire room charge, not a small expense to begin with... would not return , sincerely, people who enjoy going to bed and breakfasts and have travelled extensively.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cindi1951

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Connecticut
Reviewed June 24, 2009

We just spent several nights at the Inn. We always enjoy coming back. This is a great place to decompress. Time moves at a very relaxing pace. Leave the laptop and cell phone at home. There are plenty of things to do, rain or shine.

The rooms, though not large, are quite comfortable, and most have a full large bath. You can’t beat the full breakfast that comes with the room. All meals at the restaurant are carefully prepared and reasonably priced.

Besides all the attractions that the lake and countryside offer, there are large common areas inside the Inn for relaxation as well. Try out the new Spa! The staff is friendly and can offer many suggestions about area activities and sights.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We hadn't been to Starlight in over ten years. When we arrived it was like being back home.
The Inn is now 100 years old and still has the charm we grew to love. If you want quiet, peaceful, serenity and just plain comfort, this is the place. This is the type of place where you can explore the countryside, or in the winter cross-country skiing or do absolutely nothing. NO TV. No cell phone service(unless you have Verizon). Didn't miss any of it. Dinner was delicious,and a great value. Breakfast was terrific, and it's included in the room rate. There have been renovations which have made the Inn more functional and updated, but has not taken away from its charm. We enjoyed our stay and will return again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cargomsgt
USA
Reviewed May 10, 2009

The moment we walked in, The Inn at Starlight Lake was unwelcoming. Was it the unfriendly owners who refused to acknowledge us when we arrived to check-in? Or was it the pungent odor of cat urine that permeated the entire first floor and restaurant? The room itself was dirty (the shower/tub had a ring around it) and I dared not take off my shoes the entire visit. The room was damp and drafty, though one cannot expect much for a 100 year old house. Most of the guests that stayed overnight left very early in the morning, tires peeling down the road with zeal at never having to return to Starlight again.

The only thing keeping me from giving The Inn at Starlight Lake 1 star is the restaurant. The food was surprisingly decent but not tempting enough to make us stay for our complimentary breakfast the next morning.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed May 8, 2009

This place is not like "historic inns" that get million dollar renovations and full upgrades. It was like walking into 1909 but with electricity and running water. I was searching for a place to stay during fishing season along the Deleware River (without a reservation) and Hancock, NY was booked solid; a sign near the center/border of town pointed to cross the Deleware River into PA for The Inn. I was looking for a motel but the bed & breakfast was having a $100/night special rate to celebrate their 100th anniversary until their summer rates take effect. Their summer rate is on the border of being too high for me but I know my wife and 2 kids will love this place. My Verizon cell phone worked so I was able to communicate with my friends I had to meet up with to fish in the A.M. but there is no internet cafe/wi-fi area but I would bring my laptop and the portable DVD player for the kids; no TV's in the rooms. This one family employee talked my ear off but it made me understand why his inlaws (past loyal guests) bought the place when they heard it was for sale and why there is no TV & AC in the rooms (gut the place and lose the character). The food was way better than I expected for this area (Hancock has diner's and fast food); it's "family fine-dining" with something for everybody, just come dressed I was told. Everything is charged to your room bill and settled at check-out; the 15% gratuity on the whole bill seemed high but when I did the math in my truck for a (full American breakfast was in the room rate) dinner I had after checking-in, drinks at the bar, a TOGO lunch made for me after breakfast before I checked out and what I should've left on the dresser for the housekeeper-it was fair. The innkeepers I got to know while having a couple drinks seemed rough-around-the-edges at first but they aren't "local", just the kind waitresses and housekeeper are. I got to give the family of four innkeepers credit for keeping together a 22 room inn/B&B (with 3 cottages) that needs constant upkeep without losing it's rustic charm. I'll be back with the family! Didn't get to try the: outdoor shuffleboard, horseshoe pit, boats on the lake (non-motors only), kids playground (no need to explain), bikes, tennis court, basketball (one end of the tennis court); did get to try: the indoor shuffleboard and pool table (my kids will camp out by the ping-pong table). There was a TV room with cable and movie library and I was allowed to watch ESPN on the bar's flatscreen. I was told to tell my wife that the innkeepers were building a day spa to open in May. Do not expect to be waited on like you're the only guest in "grandma's tiny B&B" but you get more than just a (slightly dated) room when you stay here.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed February 13, 2009

We had not been to the 100 year old inn for years and it looks the same. Not pristine, not polished, but just a relaxing place to have a beer by the woodburning stove and chat with the snowshoe, cross country ski crowd. Every room in the main house was booked.And yeah, the rooms are nothing special. The bed was comfortable. No tv or any frills which was ok. Sari and Jimmy-the innkeepers who had frequented the place for 30 years before buying it, are not warm and fuzzy but they do grow on you. They have a lot of personality! The food is very good. A full breakfast comes with the price of the room and it's great. Actually the food has to be very good because there is not much to do up there. In the summer we have enjoyed floating around the lake in an inner tube or in a canoe. Bring some books, forget the cell phone as it will NOT work here. (this can be good!) It is a very old fashioned kind of trip. The carpet in the room could have used a cleaning. And yes, there is a 15% 'gratuity' on the room rate and the dining charges which seemed a bit much. But it was cheap to begin with. -We went with some old friends and just relaxed and had a great time. i would not recommend it to my best friend only because it is too rough around the edges for most folks.

• Liked — you could relax and the food was good. It was an atmosphere you can't find much today
  • Disliked — room a bit shabby- but I expected that
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank PattyPhiladelphia
Philadelphia
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Innkeepers were not welcoming and projected a vibe that they really weren't interested in you, your comfort or your perception of them. Also beware of the "In lieu of a gratuity a 15% service charge will be added to the room rate". If you sleep in a dump do you really want to pay the 15% penalty for being stupid enough to stay there in the first place? Oh yeah, the food is laughably horrible.

• Liked — The Name is quaint
  • Disliked — The food, the food service and the attiditude of the
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank John2736
Also consider these accommodations in or near Starlight
Holiday Inn Express Gibson
Wayne Inn
#3 of 3 in Honesdale
The Lakewood Lodge & Restaurant
Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center

Been to The Inn at Starlight Lake? Share your experiences!