“didn't live up to hype”

The Inn at Starlight Lake
Ranked #2 of 2 Starlight B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I came away from my weekend with a complete sense of disappointment. The Inn is well beyond it's prime and it shows in the upkeep,( or lack of) in the rooms and buildings. I've never had the host of a B&B show such a complete lack of interest in her guests. The restaurant's food was mediocre. I feel that it was outrageous that we were unable to pay for our dinner. It was charged to your room where they added 18% gratuity, whether it was earned or not. It wasn't! I looked forward to this weekend and having to come away rating this place a 2 out of 10,was a disappointment. They got a 2 because of Patty the waitress.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank JoJo501

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Thanks for a great stay and for lighting the big fire for just us you where amazing would return without question great staff and amazing surroundings
The lake was stunning locked away in a green leafy backwoods off the beaten track from arrival to departure it was so present , cotton sheets old style warm furniture and a rocking chair on the porch to watch the wildlife

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Mark D
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I had stayed here previouslyduring a business trip, was the only guest, they treated me like gold.
This weekend was incredible, brought my wife, food was out of this world, you need to visit!!!!
They couldn't have treated us better, we felt as if we were part of their family (who in fact work here!!)
We were asked all weekend long how we enjoyed the food, service and room service, they went out of their way to make us feel like VIP guests.
I will definitely visit again and bring our closest friends with us.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, service great and very clean.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I had a weekend away at this wonderful out of the way Inn. We found it cozy, and inviting. The staff could not have been friendlier. The food was fantastic. While I agree the cleaning crew could improve a bit, I loved the atmosphere. Hubby and I truly enjoyed ourselves. Sari was very helpful and sweet to us. We are going back again for our anniversary weekend.
If you want full service in an upscale hotel, this is NOT the place for you. If you love a quaint place with old charm, more like home, this is the place!

Room Tip: We had a room in the main house, and loved it!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We just returned from visiting and this was our third summer staying at the Inn. It is definitely a highlight of our summer and we always feel welcomed and remembered! Our parents love visiting as do our young children and its enjoyed across generations. It's incredibly relaxing with a sentimental feel, and the lake view is just lovely. We enjoy visiting with our family in the tavern and restaurant areas (which have an impressive selection including premium liquors); and, on the front porch. I always wish that I would stay just one more day ..... The restaurant is fantastic and the service is friendly and they will take your cue whether you are rushed or wish to linger. Everything is always tasty and fresh. I travel frequently for business and it is clear that this is a very well run operation and that the management has years of hospitality experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Iftheshoesfit
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My family just returned from a weekend at the Inn at Starlight Lake for the second year in a row (8 of us in four rooms). We have really fallen in love with the place, which is why we returned. The Inn is located in a beautiful area, across the street from a serene lake equipped with a dock and chairs. The building itself has an old-time charm. The rooms are cozy and meticulously cleaned. The beds are comfy. The showers have good water pressure. The staff at the Inn are friendly and helpful. The restaurant is a must-do. The food is fresh and very well prepared. The prices are reasonable and have a range, so what you spend really depends on what you order. Our favorites are the jager schnitzel and the smoked trout. The breakfast is an especially great bargain. For under $7 you get a beautifully prepared full breakfast of your choice including coffee, juice, main entree and sides. In the evening we have enjoyed sitting out on the front porch and enjoying the lake view with our drinks or coffee. We definitely plan to return again next year. My only advice is to make your reservations early because the Inn does fill up during busy weekends. Also, make reservations for dinner, particularly if you have a big group. I highly recommend!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank KristenSeni
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was our 8th summer in a row staying at the Inn at Starlight Lake. We have children at 2 different camps and it is the most convenient way for us to stay and get to both children on time on Visiting Day. Every year when we go (early-mid July) it is a packed house. The rooms are lovely & the food is delicious but our favorite part is the beautiful lake. After a long day of visiting with the kids we sit on the dock and talk about our day. We always jump in for a refreshing swim and this year we took out both a row boat & a sailboat. The staff is kind and helpful and we always have a great time when we are there. There are games, books, a ping pong table and a TV area to use. WiFi is also available.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Erh760
Also consider these accommodations in or near Starlight
Holiday Inn Express Gibson
#3 of 3 in Honesdale
The Carbondale Grand Hotel & Conference Center
The Lakewood Lodge & Restaurant
Schrute Farms

Been to The Inn at Starlight Lake? Share your experiences!