“Best Filet/Great Place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Upper Black Eddy, Pennsylvania
“Best Filet/Great Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband and I live pretty close to the Springtown Inn. Having grown up in the area, he had eaten at the Inn a number of times before and always enjoyed it. We were having dinner with my sister (who had also eaten here before). Having never had a meal at the Springtown Inn I was hoping for a decent experience and food since everyone that I had talked to enjoyed their time spent here.

The location in Springtown is quite nice, and I love historic buildings so I was pleasantly surprised by how nicely kept the place is. We walked in the front door, into what would have originally been the homes foyer. We had called ahead for reservations (I don't think they are mandatory). Our hostess seated us in the dining room to the right of the front door. The room was pretty much full but even then the noise level was average. The atmosphere was definitely warm and cozy and it seemed that the people there were definitely in their "mature" years. We are in our 30's and it seemed like we were younger than everyone else there by at least a good 10 years. This was NOT an issue for us. The room itself was beautiful. Stone walls, deep windowsills, stained glassed windows. Definitely charming.

The three of us ordered our dinners. They each came with salads, we ordered the house dressing. Very tasty, although my sister said that she wished she had asked for her dressing on the side, since she felt that there was just a bit too much on her salad. I on the other hand, had no issues with the amount of dressing on my salad. If you aren't a fan of a lot of dressing, just ask for it on the side.

My sister and I both ordered the Filet, she with the brandy peppercorn sauce (on the side) and I ordered the bleu cheese on top of my filet. Both arrived, perfectly cut and absolutely delicious. FINALLY the filet mignon that I have dreamed about! The steak was perfect. So tender, you barely needed a knife. My sister wasn't a fan of her sauce (she's a little picky) but I thought the bleu cheese tasted quite nice on top. It was not a sauce but rather crumbles of bleu cheese that had softened from the heat of the steak, offering a slightly salted taste to the steak.

My husband ordered the prime rib. I've heard many people say if you want a prime rib that the Springtown Inn was the place to go for it. And they weren't wrong. He ordered the Queen cut (they offer a Princess and a King cut as well) and when the waitress brought it out, you could hear the other people in the room react. There were gasps, comments and murmurs, basically saying the same thing, "Holy Cow! That thing is huge!!". And it was. I could not imagine ordering a King size, it must require it's own plate. My husband tore into his prime rib and loved it, finishing it all. I tried a piece of his and while I liked it, I wouldn't have traded in my filet for the prime rib but HE like his prime rib so much he wouldn't even try my filet. So it really depends on what you prefer.

The sides were pretty standard, choice of potatoes and broccoli and cauliflower (not a fan). I wished they had another choice for vegetables but really I didn't mind that much just because the steak was THAT good. They could have served rocks as vegetables and I would have still been happy.

Bottom Line-The filet was the best I think I have ever had. The place itself was clean and very charming, the service good. The location in a small town in Bucks County, a great place to stop for any occasion. They just opened an outdoor deck, which I haven't checked out yet but it was off the back side of the place (not close to the road), so that is always a plus. Check out the Springtown Inn. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kristal S

Hellertown
“Monday night buffet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We tryed the monday night buffet this passed monday it was GREAT for only 10.00 we had clam chower, salad, stuffed shells , sherberds pie to die for Tilipia with a fresh tomato topping, stuffed pork loin with a apple stuffing, stuffed peppers, and a pot roast that was so tender it melted in your mouth. The server told us a menu changes every week on the buffet. We signed up to get the email every monday to see whats on for that night. she said there is always 10 hot entrees plus soup salad and dessert. For dessert we had blueberry peach pie, the best rice pudding ever!!! custard cake tasted like a cream puff, cheese cake and key lime cake not pie cake GREAT. We have since gone back for prime rib last night AMAZING!!!

• Visited August 2012
5 Thank Mary G
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“A memorable monday night buffet!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

but not in a good sense. This small town tavern used to be excellent. How far have they fallen? The buffet offerings were almost certainly comprised of last week's entrees, not an uncommon practice at many decent restaurants, but a total disaster here. The overcooked turkey and pork were indistinguishable, both covered with a sauce of undetermined origin. zucchini with no taste, wilted salad, and a seafood mix which tasted like it had been in the fridge for days. Overall, the buffet looked and tasted like food served in a low end nursing home. Had I not been a guest of a longtime friend. I would have walked out immediately! Oh, the cake was good!

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Chuck H
Hellertown
“very homey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

we go here every year for my husband's birthday, it is like going to someones home for a great home cooked meal, their pork chops are amazing

1 Thank Marianne Y
Hellertown, Pennsylvania, United States
“Springtown_Inn_better_days”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

Don't kwow what happened, this place used to have great Prime Rib, last visit was a disappointment. Maybe it was bad day - worth trying again.

1 Thank JudgeJoe2089