“Very Good Farm to Table "pub' food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Crofts Tavern
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, International, Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Crofts Tavern is a farm to table, Gastropub; serving the best in hand made cocktails, craft beers and excellent food.
Downingtown, PA
“Very Good Farm to Table "pub' food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Reasonably priced creative interpretations on the basic pub fare. Fried cheeses curd, meatloaf and shepherds pie are always reliable and tasty.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank John_Downingtown
John
Thanks for your review, it's guest like you that make our hard work so worthwhile!

Philly
“Best food, service and atmosphere in the area!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

After a year or so of living in this area, we finally found our Go-To pub! We've tried many other bars and restaurants, but Croft Tavern has everything we've been looking for - great food, very attentive service and a warm and welcoming atmosphere! When we told our waitress we were first-timers, she told the owner, Craig, and he came over to our table and thanked us for coming and chatted for a few minutes. We shared a plate of the most delicious mussels ever, and we both had the Croft Burgers, which were perfectly cooked and had a very unique bacon jam. They even make their own pickles! Even though we were full, we ordered a creme brulee that was one of the best I've ever had. We topped off this fabulous meal with an After Midnight cocktail -- amazing!!

Crofts Tavern is a gastro pub that uses local and sustainable ingredients -- Go to Crofts Tavern!!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Franksgirl
Franksgirl
New York state
“Far Cry from Fine Dining”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Truly one of the worst overall dining experiences I've ever had. I was quite excited to try this place so I was sorely disappointed. In a nutshell the waitress was very preachy and rude, the drinks were terrible and the food was cold and somewhat suspect.
To start I asked the waitress what was included on today's charturie and cheese plate selection. I understand it's subject to change, but she gave me this long and sketchy story about how she couldn't tell me but it was all chef's selection. She kept stressing that they make all the meats in house, which if true is awesome, but how can you not know what you have if you ordered the meat, spent weeks curing it etc? When I pressed her that I wanted to know what they had TODAY, she refused to tell me what I would be getting and acted like I was to dumb to get the their concept. I make cheese, I lived on a dairy to learn how to make cheese - I WANT to know what kind of cheese I'm paying for.
I ordered the blood orange mojito. It was very sweet, totally flat and a pale white yellow color. Moijtos can be tricky, but this was a particularity pathetic example.
After that we played it safe and only ordered the "farm fresh" scotch eggs. After 15-20 mins 2 very large scotch eggs came out on this bizarre black triangle plate circa fine dining 1993 with fluorescent green/yellow mustard. I love artfully arraigned dishes with colorful little smears and such. This dish was laughable and pitiful. Far worse though, the the eggs were room temperature! I don't know if they had been reheated or they had died in the window waiting to be picked up, but it was awful. $9 for 2 eggs on this hideous plate and they weren't even hot. In the world of respectable dining that is a crime. Further, despite the waitress stressing the they were "farm fresh", the eggs were giant and had very pale yellow yolks. That is NOT what you see in organic fresh free range eggs.
The waitress never once asked how we were doing, so I flagged her down and mentioned the food was cold. She become extremely aggressive and defensive and flat out said we must be wrong. Even if we had been wrong being even 1/2 that rude to customers is entirely inexcusable.
I will never go back and would never recommend it to anyone.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank CollegeArtGirl
CollegeArtGirl

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you had a negative experience in my restaurant and I sincerely apologize. However, I do feel the need to respond to your review's errors.

1) Our Farm Platters are a chef's choice. I apologize that your server wasn't apprised of that day's selections. we post them and usually review them at Q time each day. that particular server has since been terminated for her lackings.

2) Our blood orange mojito is made from blood orange coulis, I am sorry if it was not to your liking.

3) Our Scotch Egg consists two FARM FRESH eggs (Highspire Farms - 5 miles away) they are wrapped with 2 ounces of house made Cumberland sausage and flash fried. They are served room temperature at the center of the egg (not unlike the original in UK). They are priced at
$ 7.00 for two eggs. Our eggs are not advertised as "organic" and most people know that the color of the yolk varies throughout the year based on what the chicken eats. Additionally, the yolk gets paler still after being hard cooked, because we have to use vinegar in the liquid to get the shells to release.

I apologize for your lack of service, as stated your server was dismissed. We have installed a new FOH manager and systems to ensure better service.
Philadephia, PA - USA
“Great local tavern!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have been here twice now and have really enjoyed ourselves both times. We always start with the cheese plate, which is wonderful. I've gotten the meatloaf and a cheeseburger. Both were great! Wait staff was also really nice. You get the sense there are a lot of regulars that visit and you immediately feel part if the family. Really good beer selection too!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank LENLAS
Lenlas
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
“A quick stop - Sunday Night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

After passing by on my way way home several times, finally had the opportunity to stop in at Crofts. Wasn't busy on Sunday around 4:00. Staff was very friendly and helpful. OK beer selection for you beer connoisseurs. Wine selection at the bar seemed limited. I did not sample any of the wines. Only had appetizers. These were good. Nice environment and friendly atmosphere.

• Visited August 2013