“The French Manor is under rated and worthy of much higher ratings”

The French Manor Inn and Spa
Boston
“The French Manor is under rated and worthy of much higher ratings”
Reviewed November 3, 2009

My wife is a Regional Manager for one of the largest wine companies in the world. I am a Territory Manager for a large industrial supply company. As business professionals we have traveled all over the US and abroad and expect excellence when on vacations. The French Manor exceeded out expectations and in our opinion merits much higher ratings than 4-Diamonds by the AAA. The 1930’s built manor is immaculate. The entire staff from the Inn Keepers to the Spa Staff is 100% committed to making your stay a pleasant and memorable one. The quality of the food, ambiance, breath taking views, service and wine selection is worthy of an André Michelin rating. If you take advantage of the Spa I recommend you request Daisy as your message therapist. Anyone who had a negative experience has to be crazy and should stay at home because they would be miserable anywhere in the world. We plan on making The French Manor a regular part of our extended weekend getaway locations.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank baochse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed November 1, 2009

My wife and I (professionals in our early 40's) needed a spa get-away, and spent a night here in a Spa Suite in late October. The Spa Suite is in brand new building, with relatively contemporary decor. Rooms with more traditional decor can be found in the manor building. The rooms were quiet and clean. The new pool and spa were also quiet and clean. We had a couples' massage in the spa, which was great (the therapists were well trained and eager to discuss your preferences for the massage). We had dinner and breakfast in the main manor; both were excellent. The food is classic style French cooking, which is a bit "old school." Nevertheless, it was excellent - I haven't had shrimp of this qualify and cooked this well in a long time. Most important, I don't think that I have ever encountered a friendlier staff and owner. Yes, it's expensive, but we would go there again without question.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SchlomoSchlabotnik
Brooklyn
Reviewed October 22, 2009

My brother and sister-in-law just got married here and it was absolutely lovely. Despite some rain, the hostess and everyone there made it so beautiful, welcoming and perfect. It is a gorgeous area, the rooms were cozy (a fireplace!!) and I had the best time of my life.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank khottens
Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 21, 2009

My husband and I fell in love with the surrounding area and actually built a second home nearby. We have stayed at least five times in the past five years. We had exceptional service and wonderful accomodations in the suites. We have since recommended to family and friends when our rooms fill up. They have had wonderful experiences as well. They are also seasoned travelers. I have a Bachelor's degree in Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Management and found the management and staff exceed hospitality expectations! I am sorry for anyone who did not have this positive experience, but please talk directly with the staff in the future, rather than blasting this fine establishment online.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NewfoundlandROX
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed October 2, 2009

I just logged on to write a review of my wedding weekend at The French Manor and was so surprised to read the previous review. My experience was completely different. The location is stunning and the staff at The French Manor (especially Bridget) could not have been more accommodating the day of.

We had a Saturday night wedding at the end of August with a lawn tent for dining. Cocktail hour and dancing were on the tented veranda. My wedding party and immediate family stayed at the hotel that night as well.

I am still getting calls from guests saying how lovely and special the Manor was... everything from the view, the food at the wedding and breakfast the next morning could not have been better.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank brooklyn319
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 15, 2009

They gave us problems getting into the ready room in the morning at the time that we needed- after using the ready room as a selling point when they were trying to get me to book there. When we got there in the morning, there was a garbage bag hanging from the tree in the yard (about 20 feet from the overlook where we were getting married). And they had cut the grass recently and not raked the grass clippings. There were also lawn chairs out on the overlook. They told my coordinator that they did not have menu cards (which Bridget- the FM coordinator- was making). The biggest problem of the day was dinner. It lasted two and half hours (read: almost the entire reception). They had entree counts three weeks before the wedding so there was no reason that they shouldn’t have started cooking until the start of dinner. And they make you order your wedding cake with their baker. Our cake was wrong-It was supposed to be brown and instead it was lime green. And it was severely lopsided. When we met with Bridget after the reception ended to pay the rest of the bill, we brought up all of these problems with her. She was completely unapologetic and didn’t seem to care if we were happy or not. She gave us half off the cost of the cake because it was the wrong color, but didn’t care that we spent our entire reception sitting at our table. At all the weddings I’ve been to, the bride and groom are served first so they can walk around and mingle. Well not here. We were served at the same time as everyone else and we barely got to talk to anyone. My husband didn’t even get to meet some of my family and I didn’t get to meet all of his. Bridget was just horrible to work with- the biggest mistake I made was having my wedding here. Don't make the same mistake!

• Stayed June 2009
5 Thank pantsarella
frenchmanor, Owner / Manager at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2009
Thank you for your review concerning your wedding day. We take pride is providing custom weddings and excellent service for each event. There were points to this email that made me question who exactly posted it, because some of the points were unclear. The wedding location is in the middle of a field on top of Huckleberry Mountain (there are no trees near this at all), and I never in all my years here ever remember a garbage bag haniging in atree! We do, of course, freshly cut the grass each week, and expecially for weddings. I am sure that there were grass clippings on the morning of your wedding day, but were raked and cleaned up meticulously prior to the start of set-up for the ceremony. This is standard procedure. Other points made are vague - of course we have lounge chairs on the observation deck, but they are removed for the ceremony. I don't see the inconvenience. Entree counts prior to your event are simply for ordering purposes... not so that we can prepare your food in advance. Food is cooked on the day so that we can provide freshly cooked meals for each of your guests. I am sure you can understand. We offer two types of weddings - a Garden Style which is stations and free-minglng, and a Sit-Down dinner that affords you time to sit with guests and enjoy dinner.

I must admit that there was a problem with the cake. The bride had chosen a cake and provided a picture. In the picture, the cake was green, but she definitely ordered a bronze/brown cake, and what was delivered was beautiful and delicious, but not the right cake! We were very upset, but obviouslt not as upset as the bride, and tightfully so. We took 1/2 off of the cake and gave the bride and groom a gift certificate for a night in a spa suite to come back for their anniversary, where we would provide a fresh cake topper in their colors for their anniversary, it was the least we could do. The wedding planner, which the bridal couple hired, was suposed to facilitate the event... not create problems and make the bride and groom very upset. She unfortunately pulled Bridget, the French Manor wedding coordinator off very important details where if she were left to do her job, problems would not have arisen . We are truly sorry that the two of you had to suffer as a result. We hope you come to stay with us and take advantage of the complimentary overnight stay that we offered you. We would love to welcome you back for your anniversary.

All the best, The French Manor
Long Island
Reviewed June 27, 2009

This is a perfect place for a romantic getaway. We stayed here a few times, each time in the suites that have a jacuzzi. The rooms are large, clean, comfortable, and the view from the deck outside the sliding doors is beautiful. We try to get the most value when we go places, so we take advantage of the Enchanted Evenings package and get the breakfasts and dinners included with the stay. The food is excellent and the staff is very friendly and polite, and will help you however they can. The filet mignon topped with a lobster tail was cooked to perfection. Every dish has a beautiful presentation. We were somewhat apprehensive before this last visit, because of some of the reviews we read. But, we still have never been disappointed when we stay here. If you're looking a bargain place with adventures for a thrill seeker, try a Google search. If you're looking for a quiet romantic retreat with a great French restaurant, give this place serious consideration.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
Crescent Lodge & Country Inn

Been to The French Manor Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!