“Terrible Place / Waste of Money”

The French Manor Inn and Spa
Philadelphia Area
“Terrible Place / Waste of Money”
Reviewed February 6, 2009

Inexperienced staff to the point of rudeness. So so food. Over-priced for what you get. This place is like a parody of what an inn of this type is supposed to be. The rooms have mildew. The heat is oppressive or if off it is freezing cold.... there is no in between. I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Most everything except leaving.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank PhillyTravelFan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
NY, NY
Reviewed January 21, 2009

We stayed at the French Manor this past long weekend for 3 nights and enjoyed it very much. We stayed at room #1 called Brigitte. The room was recently renovated. Renovations are nice and I loved the colors. The Jacuzzi and bathroom are really lovely. It was convenient to have refrigerator there. We loved the fireplace after having skied all day it was a nice treat. I have few reasons why I didn’t give it French manor 4 stars. First, the Jacuzzi tub was dirty. It had hair all over it when we just arrived, I had to clean it myself before we could enjoy the bath. In fact I had to clean it everyday myself, because apparently the maid never bothered to do more than fold our towels. The bed, I had horrible 3 sleepless nights. The bed was hard and uncomfortable. I travel a lot and never had this problem before. Dinner: my boyfriend raved about the restaurant because he stayed here before and loved the food. Our dinner was included in the package so we did enjoy it. I agree with previous reviews that the restaurant is lovely but overpriced. I am from NY and I have been to great French restaurants that charge the same but provide better quality food. So, when you pay $45 for an entry, you expect better quality. Service was very good during dinner. I actually found it very cutie that most waiters are young college students that don’t have much experience but try so hard it makes up for it. Service during breakfast was mediocre. We got served burned home fries; I couldn’t believe it when I saw what they served us! So, we ended up having breakfast somewhere else the next day. The only down side is that there are not many food places in the immediate area, but we managed. So, 3.5 stars is a fair rating for a pricey B&B.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank krisNY09
lancaster, PA 17602
Reviewed January 3, 2009

My wife and I visited the French Manor to celebrate both our anniversery, and the New Year. I would first like to point out that the "B&B feel" is very evident at this facility. The consistent warm welcoming smiles, good mornings, and good evenings you receive go a long way.

While we stayed at the Manor for several days, the chef and dining room team went as far as preparing special meals for my wife during the duration of our stay, and we only had to mention our dietary needs once. The New Years Eve dinner was even catered to our needs. However, although the atmosphere was supurb, the dining was not exceptional. We were particularly disappointed with breakfast on New Year's Day. Seemed to have a lacking effort by the breakfast team as a less than fair buffet was prepared.

The room was beautiful. We stayed in a suite with a hot tub, sofa, and lounge chair. The bed was very comfortable. However, staying for several nights, and paying close to $300 a night, you would expect to have your sheets changed, at least every other day. Not the case here. The housekeeping room service was less than adequate, as new towels were really the only service provided. Turn down service in the evening was nice, but I would rather focus to the simple daily services that would provide guests with more satisfaction.

Overall, the guest services were great with the exception of housekeeping. The grounds were beautiful, and the restaurant atmosphere very comfortable and quaint. I would recommend the Manor, but would not recommend breaking the bank on this location.

• Liked — Very warm guest services, catering to dietary needs.
  • Disliked — Housekeeping service/ cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank pedalcar99
new york
Reviewed November 10, 2008

This is certainly not a five star establishment. They should take some of the money that is being spent to built the spa facilities and do some necessary maintainance, painting, cleaning, etc. We have stayed in a range of B&Bs and Inns across the country (both with an "old world" charm - as the French Manor is shooting for and modern). Claiming old world charms should not provide for an excuse not to maintain paint, replace/repair a torn window shade, rickety shower, repair damaged tiles. There was a strange screw half exposed in the side of the shower wall. We also had the wobbly cable spindle converted into a table vis a vis a lace "table cloth." Top of the soap dispenser in bathroom looked like it had been used in a mechanics shop for a couple of years - could use a good cleaning itself. Towels, pillows and linens were more Best Western than fine inn (particularly at this price point). Attention to detail was lacking all around. I can see where the intention is but it just fails to hit the mark. Breakfast in restaurant was fair. Staff was pleasant though, as another comment suggested, more high school part timers than professionals. There will be a10% (non-discretionary) service charge added to your room charge. All in all I would not recommend to go out of your way to stay here - at this price point, one has better choices.

Stayed October 2008
3 Thank lost60
mum_on_the_go, Manager at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this review, December 19, 2008
Dear Guest,

We are proud to announce the completion of two major renovations at the French Manor (apart from the new spa facility we are currently building). These renovations were include updating all 5 accommodations in our Manor House and a complete bathroom remodel in the Suite Genevieve.

In the Manor House we have updated all of the plumbing and tubs as well as replaced all the sinks with lovely pedastool sinks and beauiful hardware. We have also removed the carpeting and refinished all of the original hardwood floors. The rooms look gorgeous and we cannot be more pleased with the outcome.

In the Suite Genevieve we have added a beauiful bar with a granet countertop and stainless steel refrigerator. We also completely remodeled the bathroom adding in a large walk-in shower with elegant tile-work and a soothing rain shower head.

The French Manor is a lovely historic inn with lots of charm. The architecture has a rich history and is beauiful as well. We work hard to maintain it's character and hope that our guests appreciate our labors of love. We hope that you will find it in your heart to re-visit the French Manor to see first hand all of the improvements we have recently done.

The Logan Family and Staff of the French Manor
Virginia
Reviewed August 5, 2008

We stayed one night in the San Remo room which is on the 2nd floor of the carriage house. Although the room was clean and well decorated, it was quite small and attic-like with a window air conditioner. The bathroom was large and well-lit but there was no room to put anything other than the adjacent window sill. The bathroom could use some renovation -- new faucets and hardware would be an improvement. I also felt that it could be cleaner; i.e., a metal toothbrush holder and soap holder were dirty and a liquid soap dispenser was also dirty--these items are not really necessary and should be removed.

To be fair, our previous 2 stays at the French Manor were in the La Maisonneuve Suite building, which is a totally different experience! We loved the rooms in that building and will stay in those if we come again. They are the most expensive rooms, and the 2nd Floor carriage rooms are the least expensive so we did expect a much smaller room, but it was still less than what we expected.

We did not eat diner at the French Manor so can't evaluate the dinner menu. However, we really did enjoy the breakfast out on the terrace the next morning-- service was wonderful, food was great, view was to die for.

Other good things about the French Manor -- The staff was very friendly and helpful, gave us maps of hiking trails and directions. The grounds are very pretty and the views (especially from the La Maisonneuve Suites and the dining room) are great.

Some room for improvement -- The "hiking trails" on the property are not maintained well. We started out fine, but ended up turning back because it was overgrown. The "gratuity" on the entire room rate seems strange -- it should be explained what the gratuity is for.

Lastly, we checked out and my husband discovered on our way to Connecticut that he accidentally left the room key in his pocket. At the bottom of our bill it says "$30 key charge for keys not returned -- thank you"! it would have been better if we were reminded to return the key during checkout -- its not like we wanted to take it -- just forgot and a reminder at the checkout desk would have been appreciated. We called the French Manor to explain and have mailed the key back to them.

I would recommend the French Manor to those who like to try different inns and are willing to pay more for the larger rooms.

• Liked — Location in the Pocono area
  • Disliked — Small outdated room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dsarah
mum_on_the_go, Manager at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2008
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the French Manor. Comments from our guests are of utmost importance and enables us to imporve upon our services.

We also wanted to let you know that our hiking trails have just been services, trimmed and re-labeled with new directional signs. We hope you are able to come back again to enjoy our trails.

Thank you once again and we hope to welcome you back to the French Manor in the future.

Bridget Logan Weber and
Genevieve Logan Reese
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 28, 2008

My husband and I were recently married and we were given a gift certificate to stay at The French Manor. We took advantage of the opportunity to get away and retreat to this beautiful bed and breakfast in the mountains and we were not disappointed. The staff was so attentive and polite. To emphasize this, I will tell you that we left our camera charger in our suite and realized this after we returned home. I placed a call to the French Manor and they immediately retrieved the charger and had it in the mail that very day. We received it the following day. They were very helpful and kind in doing this. We stayed in one of the suites with a beautiful view of the mountains. Our room was very clean and comfortable. We were greeted with a fresh fruit and cheese tray as well as a box of Godiva chocolates and a bottle of champagne. We enjoyed afternoon tea on the terrace and just relaxed. The dining room has a french cuisine and is a formal atmosphere. Our service was wonderful and the food was absolutely delicious! One of the best meals I ever had. If you enjoy seafood, I recommend the Napoleon dish! The next morning we enjoyed a gourmet breakfast. All of this was included in our midweek package. I thought that the price was very reasonable for the quality of service and food. If you're looking for a rejuvenating trip to escape from your daily routines and would like to retreat to a peaceful, charming atmosphere then this is the place for you.

• Liked — The setting
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MKN09
mum_on_the_go, Manager at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2008
Dear Guest,

We truly appreciate the kind review you wrote regarding your recent stay at the French Manor. It is by receiving comments such as yours that makes Innkeeping such a rewarding experience.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back to the French Manor in the future.

All the best,
Bridget Logan Weber and Genevieve Logan Reese
Boston, MA
Reviewed July 16, 2008

I've stayed in a number of Select Registry recommended B&B's, and was a little surprised after my stay that this made the Select Registry list. To be fair, the grounds really are beautiful and they have a very lovely view of the Poconos. I would also say that my bed was very comfortable and the breakfast was really quite good. That being said, the waitstaff at breakfast was relatively unfriendly. Although we showed up at breakfast at 9:40 AM, we were still guests arriving in the breakfast time interval and deserved to be smiled at at least. And even though breakfast turned out to be quite good, we as guests chose not to stay at the French Manor for dinner the night before because the 'Chef's Selection' of cheeses consisted of cubes of Jalapeno, Cheddar, and Swiss from the local A&P with some A&P pepporoni on the side. Our thoughts were, if that's the chef's selection... I would then question your fine French Chef. Pointedly, the French Manor lacks any sort of homey feeling, and it very much felt that the bed and breakfast business is an after thought to their restaurant and event services. Oop, I forgot that our room was 'kind of' ready when we arrived. After we got to our rooms, someone downstairs must have realized that the correct number of wine glasses was not in the room, so they suddenly appeared with another wine glass. This occurred again with bath towels a little later. Odd to say the least, as was the mix of french decor and wood panelled walls. Worth $300? I'd stay at a Hampton Inn and save my buck for the next B&B opportunity else where, but everyone has an off day now and again, so give it a whirl.

• Liked — Beautiful View
  • Disliked — No place outside to enjoy the beautiful view
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent comment on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the constructive criticism. I would like to point out, however, that the wood paneling you are referring to is called "Pecky Cypress" and is quite rare - especially in NE PA. The French Manor was originally built as a private retreat in the mid-1930's for mining magnate, Joseph Hirshhorn, who brought some 165 German and Italian craftsmen and artisans to 500 acres on Huckleberry Mountain in the heart of the Poconos of Pennsylvania to construct his "summer retreat." He used locally quarried stone, imported Spanish slate for the roof, and the Pecky Cypress was more than likely brought in from Louisiana.

Your comments regarding the complimentary fruit and cheese plate we provide in the guestrooms for arrival is appreciated as well. We will certainly discuss your suggestions with our chef.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We truly appreciate constructive criticism, as it is a critical tool for improving our services.

All the best,
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to The French Manor Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!