“Wonderful Anniversary”

The French Manor Inn and Spa
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We recently celebrated our anniversary here. The view was breathtaking. The staff from check- in to housekeeping: informative, friendly and attentive. The room (suite)-excellent. The location - seclusive and quiet, but easy to return to the hustle and bustle of nearby shopping, restaurants and entertainment. Would we go again? Most certaintly!!!

The Winfields-PA

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
frenchmanor, Manager at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear Linda W.
Thank you very much for posting your lovely review about your recent stay at the French Manor Inn and Spa. It is by receiving such praise that makes Innkeeping such a joy! We passed along your kind words onto our staff who thank you as well. We hope to see you again in the future.
All the best,
The Logan Family

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Wanted to treat myself to a luxurious weekend alone and chose this property based on reviews and photos. I opted for a suite (the Genevieve) in their carriage house. DON'T. While there is more than ample space and the jetted tub was a lovely treat, I had 2 sleepless nights. The bed/mattress is old, soft, lumpy. No matter what you do, you roll to the sagged middle. The suite smelled musty despite the air conditioning. I opened the windows (only a few we're equipped with screens) and turned off the air....the window sills inside were filthy-which housekeeping took care of immediately, thank you. The open windows only aggravated the musty odor though. As this suite is located on the first floor you can hear every footstep (sounding like a herd of animals) from above, and the doors to the other suites. The suite is very dark, even during daylight, making it impossible to read without a flashlight or by going outside in the daylight. Carpeting was old and A bin for glass recycling was provided, however when I deposited my empty bottle in it it was taken out of the bin and left for me on my bedside table. Not sure why. The restaurant building (probably due to age) also has a very musty stale odor to it. The chairs are extremely hard and uncomfortable to sit in...without any cushioning.

I must mention the good...the employees are very nice, and they absolutely want to make your experience a pleasant one. Dining was very pleasant other than the odor. The grounds are beautiful and I enjoyed my pedicure. When I mentioned the issue with the bed if they had a different suite open, I feel confident it would have been offered to me. The carriage house does have a lovely seating area adjacent to it which was very pleasant to use.

Would I return? Not until updates and renovations are made, and some air purification is put in place in the dining rooms.

Room Tip: Choose a more expensive suite.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Imrudnick

Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your visit in August. We have been very busy at the French Manor completing several property upgrades including an entirely new heating system in the Main Building, a beautiful structure covering the stone veranda, all new bathroom upgrades in the Turret Suite and Manor Rooms, and all all new bedding in all of our accommodations. We value our guests comments and continually look at how we can improve not only our service but also the property itself. It is our goal to offer an elegant and relaxing atmosphere and to exceed our guests expectations. We are so sorry that we did not deliver this experience during your visit. We hope that by knowing we have made several recent upgrades that you may find it in your heart to give us another try. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the French Manor Inn and Spa again in the future.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Let's start with the beautiful grounds and if you're up to it, great walking trails. I was in a Spa Suite room with a balcony. Weather at this time was muggy and hot, so didn't take advantage of walking about. Came early and had a poolside lunch of lobster bisque and a salad. I had a wonderfully relaxing facial and foot massage. Tea was in their cafe. Basically tea and some fruit and pastries. Found dinner awesome and prices comparable to this savory cuisine being served in Manhattan. Was hoping to see two couples at a table to see if they serve "French style" where the plates are placed at each person's seating at the same time. If you can, ask the chef about the garden.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Who would expect such luxury tucked away so deep in the mountains? Every inch of the place oozed comfort.

We checked in and went almost immediately to the spa for a couples massage. Heated tables, choice of oils, and strong-fingered staff. Back to the room (Spa 1) which was large, beautifully appointed, and peaceful, including the over-sized jacuzzi tub. On to modern french dinner accented with vegetables from the back garden. Delicious! Back to the room for a fire and tranquil night's sleep.

Up in the morning for gourmet breakfast, and off to Tobbyhana State Park for a hike around the postcard-perfect lake. Back for tea and drinks on the back terrace overlooking the carpeted lawn and far-away mountains. Dinner at the Inn again, but plenty to choose from on the menu. One minor disappointment - no outdoor dining for lack of a tent and a permit. Too bad.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up. Bring your checkbook, but don't dwell on it too much. It's worth every penny.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Father’s day let down…

My wife surprised me with a trip to the French Manner for Father’s Day. This was the first time we’ve been there and we wanted to try it after hearing many complements from friends especially about the food. We’ve been to many Pocono resorts over the years, basically tried all the others.

When we arrived we were treated to tea and then were shown our room. It was large and very nice with a Jacuzzi, fireplace and balcony. There were 3 yellow jacket nests under the handrail on the balcony which I killed with a towel so be careful if you go.

The cost was about 300 per night, a reduced rate I think, without the dinner but breakfast was included. Well, that’s what they quoted us over the phone.

We got dressed up for dinner, coats are required for men. If you don’t have a coat they will loan you one or you’re regulated to a small side room called the café or you can eat outside. A little weird for a Pocono resort in the middle of nowhere but hey we decided to go for the charm of it…

When we were seated were given menus and told the specials. Note that this restaurant is very pricy, $48 for seafood risotto and $49 for surf and turf as an example.

We noticed that everyone else was given bread except us but we asked and it was given to us well after we had ordered. I knew then that we may have a problem waitress but I kept my hopes up… We ordered a bottle of wine.

The appetizer of Lobster bisque was very good. My wife had a glass of diet coke and I enjoyed the wine but, for the price of the place, I found it odd that I had to pour the wine myself. Others were having theirs poured? Oh well... I still kept my hopes up. At no time during the meal did they ask my wife if she wanted more coke even though her glass was as dry as the Sahara.

Before the entres a weird dish came out for us gratis that was a ¾ inch cubed piece of melon with some spices on it. It was on a large plate and looked like it was a mistake or some sort of joke. Apparently, according to the waitress, it was some special dish complements of the chef. All I could hear in my mind’s eye was Gordon Ramsey yelling “Pretentious crap” but hey it gave us a chuckle.

I ordered my steak medium rare and when our dinners came, the waiter handing me mine saying here’s your steak medium well. I told our regular waiter that I ordered it medium rare and she insisted that medium rare was how it was put in so it’s right. OK, I said, then I cut into it and of course it was burnt to a fine medium well! I called over the waiter, told her it was overdone and they took it back saying it would be re-fired in 5 to 10 minutes. 20 or 25 minutes later my wife had completed her diner and I had lost my appetite so I called the waitress to cancel my still missing dinner. 5 minutes later they brought out my dinner, even though I said I didn’t want it, and the waiter looked at me like I just slaughtered a puppy. Sorry dude!

After a while, the waitress came over to us and said "would you like some coffee?" And then said "I can’t’ bring the dessert tray over since its being used”; we giggled at the continued unprofessionalism and just asked her what she had to offer. We split a piece of so-so cheese cake, $10.00 and at this point just wanted to leave.

What a disappointment.

We called to complain and the night front desk person was very compassionate and said she would do something.

The next morning, since we didn’t want any more disappointments,we skipped the free breakfast. We just wanted to leave so we went to check out. The lady at the front desk made us feel as though what occurred just wasn’t possible saying this never happens and we’ll talk to the chef. We told her that it was the floor staff not the chef but she wasn’t really listening. My wife really tried to explain the details but she just kept saying this never happens and we’re sorry but this never happens so we just figured, Hey, this never happens and we happily got in our car and drove away.

They took the price of the food off the bill but we noticed a few other gratuities that we were charged for that we were not informed of when we booked. Service gratuities or something strange like that but, Oh well, we just paid and were very glad to leave.

As we said before we’ve been to numerous Inns, B&Bs and Resorts in the Poconos. This one is overpriced, pretentious and out of date. Skip it; you’ll be happy you did.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank 518Traveler
frenchmanor, Manager at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear R L,
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations on this visit. We value your opinions and hope we can make it up to you. We would love to prove ourselves to you in the future. Please give us a call on 570-676-3244 and speak to either myself, Bridget, or Genevieve. We would be thrilled to hear from you again.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Looking to just get away for just a night, my partner and I stayed here recently over the holiday weekend and were lucky to get the Versailles room in the main house. The room was tucked away above the dining room, with its own staircase and was so peaceful. The property is stunning - reminded me of some of the historic B & Bs back in the UK. It was beautifully furnished and with a gorgeous view over the grounds at the back. I am glad we chose a room in the main house as these seemed to have more character than the rooms in the spa suites. We were so lazy, we didnt even venture to the spa or the gym - but that looked to be of a good size. The cheese and fruit plate and decanter of sherry in the room was a nice touch too.

We ate that night in the gorgeous dining room ( it was too chilly to sit outside on the terrace)- which was wonderful, and managed to get a seat next to the piano player in the high comfy chairs. The ambience was perfect. The food was great, not fussy and the service was good, and very relaxed. We did feel rushed when they brought out the main course before we had finished the sorbet which was disappointing. That was our only complaint.

Would definately return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This was a huge disappointment to us. We had planned this long weekend getaway and had been looking forward to it. We arrived and our room was one of the new Spa rooms and it was lovely. Very comfortable. The problem was we could hear EVERYTHING in the adjoining rooms. Loud conversations, water running, phone calls, and other noises I just don't ever need to hear. Ever. We are both very sensitive to noise and the objective was to getaway and have some badly needed QUIET after a very sad and difficult time for us. We were told this was the place and we had never been to the area before. At any rate and especially these inflated rates ( $375 per night) there is NO way I will accept an inferior product. None. We talked to the front desk ( friendly and understanding) and while they offered us a reduced rate - that was not the point. Even for free this would have been unacceptable. What finally made us just say we are done was that I was told the owners were on the property and that they would talk to us and they never did. This is really poor customer service. So we drove 3 hours to get there and then 3 hours home. What a waste of time, energy and gas! Oh well, its back to the beach and our quest to find solitude elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TravelerB787
frenchmanor, Owner at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear TravelorB787,
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We are sorry we missed you while you were visiting our lovely mountaintop retreat. Many guests come to our spa hotel for our secluded location, relaxing spa treatments and fabulous cuisine. We are so sorry we didn't meet your expectations on this visit. We would love to prove ourselves to you in the future. Please give us a call on 570-676-3244 and speak to either myself, Bridget, or Genevieve. We would be thrilled to hear from you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Sterling
The Lodge at Woodloch
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek

Been to The French Manor Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!