“Skip this one. You'll thank us!”

The French Manor Inn and Spa
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Skip this one. You'll thank us!”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Father’s day let down…

My wife surprised me with a trip to the French Manner for Father’s Day. This was the first time we’ve been there and we wanted to try it after hearing many complements from friends especially about the food. We’ve been to many Pocono resorts over the years, basically tried all the others.

When we arrived we were treated to tea and then were shown our room. It was large and very nice with a Jacuzzi, fireplace and balcony. There were 3 yellow jacket nests under the handrail on the balcony which I killed with a towel so be careful if you go.

The cost was about 300 per night, a reduced rate I think, without the dinner but breakfast was included. Well, that’s what they quoted us over the phone.

We got dressed up for dinner, coats are required for men. If you don’t have a coat they will loan you one or you’re regulated to a small side room called the café or you can eat outside. A little weird for a Pocono resort in the middle of nowhere but hey we decided to go for the charm of it…

When we were seated were given menus and told the specials. Note that this restaurant is very pricy, $48 for seafood risotto and $49 for surf and turf as an example.

We noticed that everyone else was given bread except us but we asked and it was given to us well after we had ordered. I knew then that we may have a problem waitress but I kept my hopes up… We ordered a bottle of wine.

The appetizer of Lobster bisque was very good. My wife had a glass of diet coke and I enjoyed the wine but, for the price of the place, I found it odd that I had to pour the wine myself. Others were having theirs poured? Oh well... I still kept my hopes up. At no time during the meal did they ask my wife if she wanted more coke even though her glass was as dry as the Sahara.

Before the entres a weird dish came out for us gratis that was a ¾ inch cubed piece of melon with some spices on it. It was on a large plate and looked like it was a mistake or some sort of joke. Apparently, according to the waitress, it was some special dish complements of the chef. All I could hear in my mind’s eye was Gordon Ramsey yelling “Pretentious crap” but hey it gave us a chuckle.

I ordered my steak medium rare and when our dinners came, the waiter handing me mine saying here’s your steak medium well. I told our regular waiter that I ordered it medium rare and she insisted that medium rare was how it was put in so it’s right. OK, I said, then I cut into it and of course it was burnt to a fine medium well! I called over the waiter, told her it was overdone and they took it back saying it would be re-fired in 5 to 10 minutes. 20 or 25 minutes later my wife had completed her diner and I had lost my appetite so I called the waitress to cancel my still missing dinner. 5 minutes later they brought out my dinner, even though I said I didn’t want it, and the waiter looked at me like I just slaughtered a puppy. Sorry dude!

After a while, the waitress came over to us and said "would you like some coffee?" And then said "I can’t’ bring the dessert tray over since its being used”; we giggled at the continued unprofessionalism and just asked her what she had to offer. We split a piece of so-so cheese cake, $10.00 and at this point just wanted to leave.

What a disappointment.

We called to complain and the night front desk person was very compassionate and said she would do something.

The next morning, since we didn’t want any more disappointments,we skipped the free breakfast. We just wanted to leave so we went to check out. The lady at the front desk made us feel as though what occurred just wasn’t possible saying this never happens and we’ll talk to the chef. We told her that it was the floor staff not the chef but she wasn’t really listening. My wife really tried to explain the details but she just kept saying this never happens and we’re sorry but this never happens so we just figured, Hey, this never happens and we happily got in our car and drove away.

They took the price of the food off the bill but we noticed a few other gratuities that we were charged for that we were not informed of when we booked. Service gratuities or something strange like that but, Oh well, we just paid and were very glad to leave.

As we said before we’ve been to numerous Inns, B&Bs and Resorts in the Poconos. This one is overpriced, pretentious and out of date. Skip it; you’ll be happy you did.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank 518Traveler
frenchmanor, Manager at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear R L,
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations on this visit. We value your opinions and hope we can make it up to you. We would love to prove ourselves to you in the future. Please give us a call on 570-676-3244 and speak to either myself, Bridget, or Genevieve. We would be thrilled to hear from you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Looking to just get away for just a night, my partner and I stayed here recently over the holiday weekend and were lucky to get the Versailles room in the main house. The room was tucked away above the dining room, with its own staircase and was so peaceful. The property is stunning - reminded me of some of the historic B & Bs back in the UK. It was beautifully furnished and with a gorgeous view over the grounds at the back. I am glad we chose a room in the main house as these seemed to have more character than the rooms in the spa suites. We were so lazy, we didnt even venture to the spa or the gym - but that looked to be of a good size. The cheese and fruit plate and decanter of sherry in the room was a nice touch too.

We ate that night in the gorgeous dining room ( it was too chilly to sit outside on the terrace)- which was wonderful, and managed to get a seat next to the piano player in the high comfy chairs. The ambience was perfect. The food was great, not fussy and the service was good, and very relaxed. We did feel rushed when they brought out the main course before we had finished the sorbet which was disappointing. That was our only complaint.

Would definately return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This was a huge disappointment to us. We had planned this long weekend getaway and had been looking forward to it. We arrived and our room was one of the new Spa rooms and it was lovely. Very comfortable. The problem was we could hear EVERYTHING in the adjoining rooms. Loud conversations, water running, phone calls, and other noises I just don't ever need to hear. Ever. We are both very sensitive to noise and the objective was to getaway and have some badly needed QUIET after a very sad and difficult time for us. We were told this was the place and we had never been to the area before. At any rate and especially these inflated rates ( $375 per night) there is NO way I will accept an inferior product. None. We talked to the front desk ( friendly and understanding) and while they offered us a reduced rate - that was not the point. Even for free this would have been unacceptable. What finally made us just say we are done was that I was told the owners were on the property and that they would talk to us and they never did. This is really poor customer service. So we drove 3 hours to get there and then 3 hours home. What a waste of time, energy and gas! Oh well, its back to the beach and our quest to find solitude elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TravelerB787
frenchmanor, Owner at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear TravelorB787,
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We are sorry we missed you while you were visiting our lovely mountaintop retreat. Many guests come to our spa hotel for our secluded location, relaxing spa treatments and fabulous cuisine. We are so sorry we didn't meet your expectations on this visit. We would love to prove ourselves to you in the future. Please give us a call on 570-676-3244 and speak to either myself, Bridget, or Genevieve. We would be thrilled to hear from you again.
Greentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have stayed at the Manor several times and always come away relaxed and feeling spoiled!
The suite rooms are nicely appointed and very comfortable, right down to a VERY good sherry on the dresser in stemmed glassware. The jetted tubs for two are roomy for large people and soothing to the stressed muscles. We opt for a nap, the spa tub and then a leisurely dinner. The dining room is not large but feel spacious and is lovely. The Tables by the fireplace are hard to get in the chilly weather but worth RSVP'ing in advance. The food is fussy French for those who are meat & potato types, but very good and the Chef surprises your palette with unusual taste combinations! The wait staff are discreet, efficient & pleasant. They now have a spa on site, but we have not enjoyed their services as of yet. The views are lovely and although you are not far from the little towns surrounding the Manor, you feel a hundred miles away when enjoying the scenery! The cost seems high for a B&B experience, but it IS upscale and close to us when we want to be spoiled, we just go!

Room Tip: The balcony rooms offer a great view and the spa rooms are the newest and most upscale.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PastorChe
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was looking for a cozy vacation getaway just for 3 nights within a few hours driving distance from the Philadelphia area and came across The French Manor in the ‘Select Registry’ hotels book. After looking at their website and several trip advisor reviews I booked our stay. My wife and I stayed there from 3/28/13 – 3/31/13 to celebrate our anniversary.

The location is on a hilltop and has a nice view. If you want a room with a view you need to book a one of the ‘La Maisonneuve Suites’ or maybe a ‘Spa Suite’ room. We were on a budget and booked the ‘Carriage House Room’, it has no view.

Our room was small but that has never bothered us before. Let’s just say it was ‘cozy’. The things that bothered us about the room were: outdated furnishings (wicker furniture circa 1984, two wicker laundry baskets were the nightstands), the comforter for the bed was scratchy not fluffy, the TV was the size of a large laptop screen, fake flowers in the room were old and dusty, the bathroom wall had hair on it, the towels were scratchy (not soft), the closet in our room was big but not functional for hanging clothes (instead it had lots of wire shelves…why?), the closet also had a small metal door that was stained from some dark liquid that had oozed from it sometime ago, the shower door handle came right off the first time I grabbed it, a power outlet with plugs resembling a fire hazard power strip from Christmas vacation. Our cleaning lady made a point one morning to say she was stocking the room with extra stuff (not sure what she was talking about) and then forgot to clean our sink and toilet the same morning.

Now for some good news… The shower in the room was modern and very functional (except for the broken door handle). The breakfasts were excellent. Dinners were very good also (except a little overpriced…even for the generally inflated Poconos region). The indoor pool and hot tub area were excellent and very comfortable. We both got massages, and agreed they were good. They do not offer lunch, but the staff was very accommodating for bringing us drinks and utensils down at the pool after I drove back from the Newfoundland Hotel with lunch each day (5 min drive). We want to give a special shout out to Devon, he made our special martini drinks each day and they were on par with what you would expect from a modern major city speakeasy (fresh ingredients and exciting combinations). One other pleasant surprise was when we returned to our room Saturday night, an easter basket filled with chocolates was on the bed (it was Easter weekend).

Before I tell the rest of my review I want to premise that the ‘star’ rating we gave for this hotel does NOT take into account this final experience. Overall, The French Manor seems to be stuck in the 70’s or 80’s, you know, one of those places in the Poconos that everyone’s parents from NY/NJ/Philly area went to back then. We will not be returning.

The last night there, a new couple checked into the room above us (there was another couple there the other two nights). They checked in around 10pm and were very loud taking their bags up stairs. They argued for a bit and then proceeded to play loud music until sometime after 3am and were talking loudly until at least 1:30am. I don’t know what they were on, but it did not seem to be a stable situation to intervene. Instead I called the hotel afterhours line at 12:15am and informed them of the situation. I called them back at 1:20 to say it was still going on and I was told that they called the room and left a message on their voice mail. I then told the hotel representative that we’ll deal with how I’m going to be compensated in the morning and that there is no use in both of us not getting any sleep tonight. The next morning I went to check out and spoke with the same person I spoke with twice last night. She first was going to comp me half of my last night’s stay, then she realized I stayed 3 nights and was going to comp me they cheapest of the three nights (the first night). I then said for her to comp me the last night since that was when it happened. She agreed and I provided additional feedback of our stay. She also offered to mail us coupons but I told her that even before this incident we would not be returning to The French Manor.

P.S. - You are also welcomed in your room by a decantor Sherry...but who drinks Sherry anymore?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TheDOCatUB
frenchmanor, Manager at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear TheDOCatUB,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. It is only be receiving such comments that we may strive to improve our services and quality.

We thank you for pointing out a few problems you found in your room. It is unfortunate, however, that we did not hear about your dissatisfaction until your online review as we would have certainly tried to upgrade you or move you to a more comfortable accommodation while you were here. In any case, we assure you that we have taken care of the problems for future guests and we thank you again for your attention to detail.

You did bring to our attention the noise from neighboring guests upon your check out and we did compensate you an entire nights stay for your inconvenience. We are so sorry that you had to leave on a bad note. Please, in the future, do not hesitate to voice your dissatisfaction during your stay so that we may make your visit at the French Manor Inn and Spa as enjoyable and comfortable as possible.

We are happy to hear that you were very pleased with the dining, service, the spa and even the cocktails during your stay. We hope that you will take this into consideration and visit us again in the future. We would love to have the opportunity to show you the room upgrades we are implementing at this time.

We hope to welcome you back to the French Manor Inn and Spa in the future. If you have any questions or concerns before making another reservation, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 570-676-3244.

Bridget Logan Weber
Point Pleasant
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at the Inn and Spa. It was SPECTACULAR!! The accommodations were lovely and the views were amazing. We went for a "stress relieving" few days and received just that. The staff was very friendly. We felt that we were not just an "average" person walking through their doors. We were greeted pleasantly and were given a fond farewell upon our departure. We thoroughly enjoyed our couples massage as well. The food was simply amazing. The chef put care into each dish and certainly had a gift that any other chef could envy. Although the menu was limited, the selections were all enticing. The welcome cheese and fruit plate was a nice afternoon treat upon check-in. There was also sherry provided, but we didn't bother drinking that since neither my husband nor I are fans, but it was still a nice touch. Turn down service is always a nice touch that I enjoy! It is a simple touch that makes me feel special :)
The only true complaint is that for such elegant touches throughout the facility, the showers should be made larger in the suites. We had a very nice large jacuzzi tub, but the shower was a small corner glass enclosed stall. The bathroom was certainly large enough to include a large shower area.
I have seen other review state that the rooms were cold, but we found them to be quite toasty- we even opened our window on the 2nd night, despite the fact that it was chilly outside and snowed all day. We never even bothered to turn the heat on in the room, just sat by the fireplace until we went to bed (don't worry we turned it off when we went to sleep). Oh, and the sheets on the bed were some of the softest sheets I have ever slept with- a helpful tip- ask for a few extra pillows.
Our stay led us to become interested in trying some other Inns in the future.
We also learned that the French Manor will be adding a farm to table feature this summer with the vegetables that they have already sprouted in an onsite greenhouse! Perhaps we will have to visit again and see what delectable treats the chef creates with their home grown goodies...
If you are looking into this Inn as an option, stop looking and book your stay today!!! They have 4 AAA diamonds and you will certainly see that they are well deserved when you go there.

Room Tip: Be sure to get an end room overlooking the mountain views
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Saylorsburg
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My Mom and I stayed one evening with the Spa package. Making the reservations, Genaveve was very helpful and a sweetheart) :-) We didnt have difficulty following the google map directions and found the Inn with no problem. We were greeted at reception with a warm friendly smile and our first impression was delightful. The room was pleasant, quiet, and clean. The bed was very comfortable! :-) The Spa staff ( Julieann and Annabelle) were wonderful, extremely pleasant!!! The dining room is gorgeous and rustic. The fireplaces at either end of the room added to the warm feeling. The waitstaff were accomidating and very pleasant. Niether my mother nor I were thrilled about the dinner and feel it was overpriced for the quality. We both felt it was very rich and way too heavy. That would be our only dissapointment with our overall experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
Crescent Lodge & Country Inn

Been to The French Manor Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!