“3 Nights at The French Manor (The 80s was such a good decade!)”

The French Manor Inn and Spa
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“3 Nights at The French Manor (The 80s was such a good decade!)”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was looking for a cozy vacation getaway just for 3 nights within a few hours driving distance from the Philadelphia area and came across The French Manor in the ‘Select Registry’ hotels book. After looking at their website and several trip advisor reviews I booked our stay. My wife and I stayed there from 3/28/13 – 3/31/13 to celebrate our anniversary.

The location is on a hilltop and has a nice view. If you want a room with a view you need to book a one of the ‘La Maisonneuve Suites’ or maybe a ‘Spa Suite’ room. We were on a budget and booked the ‘Carriage House Room’, it has no view.

Our room was small but that has never bothered us before. Let’s just say it was ‘cozy’. The things that bothered us about the room were: outdated furnishings (wicker furniture circa 1984, two wicker laundry baskets were the nightstands), the comforter for the bed was scratchy not fluffy, the TV was the size of a large laptop screen, fake flowers in the room were old and dusty, the bathroom wall had hair on it, the towels were scratchy (not soft), the closet in our room was big but not functional for hanging clothes (instead it had lots of wire shelves…why?), the closet also had a small metal door that was stained from some dark liquid that had oozed from it sometime ago, the shower door handle came right off the first time I grabbed it, a power outlet with plugs resembling a fire hazard power strip from Christmas vacation. Our cleaning lady made a point one morning to say she was stocking the room with extra stuff (not sure what she was talking about) and then forgot to clean our sink and toilet the same morning.

Now for some good news… The shower in the room was modern and very functional (except for the broken door handle). The breakfasts were excellent. Dinners were very good also (except a little overpriced…even for the generally inflated Poconos region). The indoor pool and hot tub area were excellent and very comfortable. We both got massages, and agreed they were good. They do not offer lunch, but the staff was very accommodating for bringing us drinks and utensils down at the pool after I drove back from the Newfoundland Hotel with lunch each day (5 min drive). We want to give a special shout out to Devon, he made our special martini drinks each day and they were on par with what you would expect from a modern major city speakeasy (fresh ingredients and exciting combinations). One other pleasant surprise was when we returned to our room Saturday night, an easter basket filled with chocolates was on the bed (it was Easter weekend).

Before I tell the rest of my review I want to premise that the ‘star’ rating we gave for this hotel does NOT take into account this final experience. Overall, The French Manor seems to be stuck in the 70’s or 80’s, you know, one of those places in the Poconos that everyone’s parents from NY/NJ/Philly area went to back then. We will not be returning.

The last night there, a new couple checked into the room above us (there was another couple there the other two nights). They checked in around 10pm and were very loud taking their bags up stairs. They argued for a bit and then proceeded to play loud music until sometime after 3am and were talking loudly until at least 1:30am. I don’t know what they were on, but it did not seem to be a stable situation to intervene. Instead I called the hotel afterhours line at 12:15am and informed them of the situation. I called them back at 1:20 to say it was still going on and I was told that they called the room and left a message on their voice mail. I then told the hotel representative that we’ll deal with how I’m going to be compensated in the morning and that there is no use in both of us not getting any sleep tonight. The next morning I went to check out and spoke with the same person I spoke with twice last night. She first was going to comp me half of my last night’s stay, then she realized I stayed 3 nights and was going to comp me they cheapest of the three nights (the first night). I then said for her to comp me the last night since that was when it happened. She agreed and I provided additional feedback of our stay. She also offered to mail us coupons but I told her that even before this incident we would not be returning to The French Manor.

P.S. - You are also welcomed in your room by a decantor Sherry...but who drinks Sherry anymore?

4 Thank TheDOCatUB
frenchmanor, Manager at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear TheDOCatUB,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. It is only be receiving such comments that we may strive to improve our services and quality.

We thank you for pointing out a few problems you found in your room. It is unfortunate, however, that we did not hear about your dissatisfaction until your online review as we would have certainly tried to upgrade you or move you to a more comfortable accommodation while you were here. In any case, we assure you that we have taken care of the problems for future guests and we thank you again for your attention to detail.

You did bring to our attention the noise from neighboring guests upon your check out and we did compensate you an entire nights stay for your inconvenience. We are so sorry that you had to leave on a bad note. Please, in the future, do not hesitate to voice your dissatisfaction during your stay so that we may make your visit at the French Manor Inn and Spa as enjoyable and comfortable as possible.

We are happy to hear that you were very pleased with the dining, service, the spa and even the cocktails during your stay. We hope that you will take this into consideration and visit us again in the future. We would love to have the opportunity to show you the room upgrades we are implementing at this time.

We hope to welcome you back to the French Manor Inn and Spa in the future. If you have any questions or concerns before making another reservation, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 570-676-3244.

Bridget Logan Weber

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Point Pleasant
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at the Inn and Spa. It was SPECTACULAR!! The accommodations were lovely and the views were amazing. We went for a "stress relieving" few days and received just that. The staff was very friendly. We felt that we were not just an "average" person walking through their doors. We were greeted pleasantly and were given a fond farewell upon our departure. We thoroughly enjoyed our couples massage as well. The food was simply amazing. The chef put care into each dish and certainly had a gift that any other chef could envy. Although the menu was limited, the selections were all enticing. The welcome cheese and fruit plate was a nice afternoon treat upon check-in. There was also sherry provided, but we didn't bother drinking that since neither my husband nor I are fans, but it was still a nice touch. Turn down service is always a nice touch that I enjoy! It is a simple touch that makes me feel special :)
The only true complaint is that for such elegant touches throughout the facility, the showers should be made larger in the suites. We had a very nice large jacuzzi tub, but the shower was a small corner glass enclosed stall. The bathroom was certainly large enough to include a large shower area.
I have seen other review state that the rooms were cold, but we found them to be quite toasty- we even opened our window on the 2nd night, despite the fact that it was chilly outside and snowed all day. We never even bothered to turn the heat on in the room, just sat by the fireplace until we went to bed (don't worry we turned it off when we went to sleep). Oh, and the sheets on the bed were some of the softest sheets I have ever slept with- a helpful tip- ask for a few extra pillows.
Our stay led us to become interested in trying some other Inns in the future.
We also learned that the French Manor will be adding a farm to table feature this summer with the vegetables that they have already sprouted in an onsite greenhouse! Perhaps we will have to visit again and see what delectable treats the chef creates with their home grown goodies...
If you are looking into this Inn as an option, stop looking and book your stay today!!! They have 4 AAA diamonds and you will certainly see that they are well deserved when you go there.

Room Tip: Be sure to get an end room overlooking the mountain views
Saylorsburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My Mom and I stayed one evening with the Spa package. Making the reservations, Genaveve was very helpful and a sweetheart) :-) We didnt have difficulty following the google map directions and found the Inn with no problem. We were greeted at reception with a warm friendly smile and our first impression was delightful. The room was pleasant, quiet, and clean. The bed was very comfortable! :-) The Spa staff ( Julieann and Annabelle) were wonderful, extremely pleasant!!! The dining room is gorgeous and rustic. The fireplaces at either end of the room added to the warm feeling. The waitstaff were accomidating and very pleasant. Niether my mother nor I were thrilled about the dinner and feel it was overpriced for the quality. We both felt it was very rich and way too heavy. That would be our only dissapointment with our overall experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

My mom and I decided to come together to spend some mother daughter bonding time! Room with jacuzzi was awesome. Very clean! Staff was so friendly. The spa was really nice. This is a great place to relax! The food was delicious ! I'm coming back with my husband.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Freehold, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We just spent a few wonderful nights at the French Manor Inn and Spa. The experience was absolutely wonderful from the minute we checked in. We were greeted warmly and shortly after arriving in our suite we given a complimentary bottle of champagne which was very nice. The complimentary sherry and fruit, cheese and crackers was a nice touch. The breakfast was delicious.
The views were really nice from our balcony and hiking trails a nice experience, yet pretty steep at parts.
The room was very nice and having a fireplace and jacuzzi is very nice for relaxation. As for the restaurant, this was our favorite place to dine. We found the atmosphere atmosphere and food superb, but can't say enough how wonderful the maitre'd/waiter Devon was. He was so pleasureable and enjoyable to talk with during our meals. A bit pricey on some selections but the food was top quality I must say being in this industry for over 30 years, they do a fantastic job! Compliments to the Chef and Staff!
We plan on returning again perhaps on our 1 year anniversary and am glad we choose to spend a few days here! Thank you French Manor for making our Honeymoon memoriable!
Regina & Chris H.

Room Tip: Suite Rooms are very nice! Lots of room but next time we will request a second story for a better mo...
Westchester County, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at The French Manor in the Turret Room during the coldest weekend of the winter, and the main building (where the turret room is located) is definitely an old time B&B. The room was fairly chilly throughout, but styled exactly as it should be for a wintery cottage. The staff was friendly, breakfasts were awesome and the bed was incredibly restful. While we missed dinner due to illness, we did see the dining room packed every night. Oh, the dining room was pretty cold too. The vaulted ceilings and wide space combined with being built years & years ago make it tough to keep warm, despite the bookend fireplaces.

It's out of the way, but not too bad, was a short drive to Camelback Mountain, and overall a relaxing weekend. We'd go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have a mixed feeling after a 2 weekdays stay at the French Manor. Maybe my expectations in reading the brochure were too high ? This place really could be a paradise but a few weaknesses left me a kind of frustration taste.

The PROS : the location is wonderful even if the place is not easy to find (don't follow the GPS !), the main building is unique, the dining room is a piece of art, our room in the Spa building was large, comfortable and clear with a beautiful view, the food is excellent even if the service is a little bit obsequious (but that is OK in such a decor), the prices of the wine list are reasonable ... Many PROS , almost a paradise but :

THE CONS : visibly there is a lack of leadership or maybe a lack of staff in the Manor. We went 3 times in 3 days at the pool which has not been cleaned during these days: some black spots at the bottom, some hair in the water, the water of the hot tub was cloudy. The maintenance of the premises is not optimal : the walking paths and stairs were slippery without treatment against the ice, a plastic bag stayed one full day in the pathway of our room, a small piece of plastic on the ground was not removed from our room, the rooms are not soundproof and in spite of the very low occupancy during our stay we got neighbors (not very quiet) just next door, the signs on the road need some fresh paint, some pieces of furniture are on the cheap side in the bathroom (no place for our toilet staff in the bathroom) and the bedroom (refrigerator furniture), the Spa treatments are just OK ...

Nothing major I must admit, I am a demanding frequent traveler, but just enough for partly ruining a promising 2 nights stay in a 4 diamonds inn. I understand that it is family own B&B and restaurant , and that must be a difficult business, but 3 diamonds would be more appropriate in order to fix the correct expectations

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank HenriNewYork
frenchmanor, Manager at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear HenriNewYork,

We greatly appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the French Manor Inn Spa. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that you appreciate the unique architecture and location of our mountaintop oasis.

Our Spa Suites, our newest accommodations, have been a huge success with our guests. When outfitting the suites, we worked with a designer who helped us individually decorate each suite with beautiful and comfortable furnishings. We are sorry that you did not find the decor to your liking.

We are very sorry that the pool showed some signs of use and that the walkways were a little slick. We took your concerns very seriously and have addressed your points with maintenance as safety issues are a very important. The winter months certainly keep up busy and test us every day.

Now with Springtime upon us, we have some exciting projects to spruce up our little "paradise" with new French Manor signs, new carpeting in the Spa Suites, etc. We hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again to see for yourself our improvements. We would love to hear from you again.

The Logan Family
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,250 reviews

Been to The French Manor Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!