“An Old School B&B”

The French Manor Inn and Spa
Westchester County, New York
“An Old School B&B”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at The French Manor in the Turret Room during the coldest weekend of the winter, and the main building (where the turret room is located) is definitely an old time B&B. The room was fairly chilly throughout, but styled exactly as it should be for a wintery cottage. The staff was friendly, breakfasts were awesome and the bed was incredibly restful. While we missed dinner due to illness, we did see the dining room packed every night. Oh, the dining room was pretty cold too. The vaulted ceilings and wide space combined with being built years & years ago make it tough to keep warm, despite the bookend fireplaces.

It's out of the way, but not too bad, was a short drive to Camelback Mountain, and overall a relaxing weekend. We'd go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
New York
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have a mixed feeling after a 2 weekdays stay at the French Manor. Maybe my expectations in reading the brochure were too high ? This place really could be a paradise but a few weaknesses left me a kind of frustration taste.

The PROS : the location is wonderful even if the place is not easy to find (don't follow the GPS !), the main building is unique, the dining room is a piece of art, our room in the Spa building was large, comfortable and clear with a beautiful view, the food is excellent even if the service is a little bit obsequious (but that is OK in such a decor), the prices of the wine list are reasonable ... Many PROS , almost a paradise but :

THE CONS : visibly there is a lack of leadership or maybe a lack of staff in the Manor. We went 3 times in 3 days at the pool which has not been cleaned during these days: some black spots at the bottom, some hair in the water, the water of the hot tub was cloudy. The maintenance of the premises is not optimal : the walking paths and stairs were slippery without treatment against the ice, a plastic bag stayed one full day in the pathway of our room, a small piece of plastic on the ground was not removed from our room, the rooms are not soundproof and in spite of the very low occupancy during our stay we got neighbors (not very quiet) just next door, the signs on the road need some fresh paint, some pieces of furniture are on the cheap side in the bathroom (no place for our toilet staff in the bathroom) and the bedroom (refrigerator furniture), the Spa treatments are just OK ...

Nothing major I must admit, I am a demanding frequent traveler, but just enough for partly ruining a promising 2 nights stay in a 4 diamonds inn. I understand that it is family own B&B and restaurant , and that must be a difficult business, but 3 diamonds would be more appropriate in order to fix the correct expectations

4 Thank HenriNewYork
frenchmanor, Manager at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear HenriNewYork,

We greatly appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the French Manor Inn Spa. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that you appreciate the unique architecture and location of our mountaintop oasis.

Our Spa Suites, our newest accommodations, have been a huge success with our guests. When outfitting the suites, we worked with a designer who helped us individually decorate each suite with beautiful and comfortable furnishings. We are sorry that you did not find the decor to your liking.

We are very sorry that the pool showed some signs of use and that the walkways were a little slick. We took your concerns very seriously and have addressed your points with maintenance as safety issues are a very important. The winter months certainly keep up busy and test us every day.

Now with Springtime upon us, we have some exciting projects to spruce up our little "paradise" with new French Manor signs, new carpeting in the Spa Suites, etc. We hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again to see for yourself our improvements. We would love to hear from you again.

The Logan Family
Owners/Innkeepers
Hamilton
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Our weekend away was a belated Christmas gift for my husband. I chose the Inn because of the reviews I read and what I viewed on the Inn's website. Even though there were some not so nice reviews, I decided to give it a try because everyone's taste is different. We stayed in the Spa Suite Soleil room #5, it was exceptional. The room was very clean and the bed very comfortable. We enjoyed the beautiful view of the snowy scenery from our loveseat by the fireplace and made great use of the Jacuzzi in our room. It was also a nice touch to have a small cheese and fruit tray with sherry waiting for us in our room upon arrival. I was surprised that bottled water was not available for us as most Inns and B&Bs have it available for their guests. The Inn itself and it's surrondings are just lovely. I made our reservations back in November. I informed the Inn that my husband is gluten-free. I also requested a table in front of the fireplace in the dining room. I received e-mails confirming that his diet was noted and we would have a table in front of the fireplace. I even called a week before to confirm his diet and our dinner reservation requests. I was told it was noted, not a problem. Even when we checked in I made sure they knew of his diet and our dinner reservation. Well, we were not seated at the table I requested nor did they have his diet noted. In fact the waitress suggested that we should have requested a gluten-free diet upon making the reservation and I told her I did. How many times can you remind them. So that was disappointing. However, what was more disappointing was our dinner. We ordered the Quail, Sea Bass, Filet Mignon and Seared Lobster Tail. The Filet was good, the rest very disappointing. Not tasty at all, in fact the fish was frozen not fresh. For desert we ordered the chocolate tort, that was good. The bottle of wine was fairly priced, but my husband's expresso martini did not hit our dinner bill but our check out bill instead. The food is way over priced. We eat at a lot of high end restaurants. In our opinion this was not one. The room's atmosphere is very nice in many ways. However, the dress code should not require a jacket for men. Most people know how to dress properly, in fact, the couple that got the table in front of the fireplace, was allowed into the dining room with a fleece outside jacket and jeans, which surprised us. A nice touch was the piano player, we did enjoy the music. If cost is an issue for you, you may not want to spend your money eating at the Inn. Instead of spending a lot of money on dinner, treat yourself to a spa treatment. My husband and I did a couples massage with AJ and Jane. They are exceptional therapists. The only disappointment with the massage was that there was a fireplace in the room, however, that was another package, I did not know that. In other words, putting the fireplace on for us would have cost more money. If there is a fireplace in the couples room you should automatically be able to enjoy it without an extra cost. Jane did light some candles and apologized for the misunderstanding. Again, enjoy the SPA instead of being disappointed by dinner. The pool and hot tub were very enjoyable and very clean. You may also think that Cafe Hana is another restaurant at the Inn, it is not. It is the tea room and the room that they put you in if you are not properly dressed for their fine dining room. Same menu as dining room and same prices. We would highly recommend that you travel just a few miles down the road to the Hotel. The Hotel is a local bar and restaurant. Nothing fancy at all. However, great tasting food, and a nice variety with inexpensive drinks. The owner Mike and his staff were all so friendly. Jesse was our generous bartender,we really enjoyed him. A definite local hangout, but very welcoming to travelers. When we checked out on Monday, I questioned some of the charges on the bill. Some things just did not make sense to me. Genevieve, the General Manager became defensive. She asked us if everything was okay she actually became upset when I started to tell her the things that disappointed us. In fact she interupted me gave us a copy of the Select Registery book and wanted us on our way. The same thing happened at the SPA check out too. The receptionist did not show good judgement when asking us how much of a tip we we planning on leaving, and she called the therapists out to help her explain to us that a certain amount of the tip had to go on the books. Our main concern was that we did not want the therapists to get short changed. We thought that it was unprofessional of her to talk about their books in front of us. While talking with other guests there was some apparent disapppointment with their rooms and dinner meals. In fact we would have dine at the Inn the following night, but did not want to take a chance in having another disappointing experience. Be very careful in choosing a room, not all the rooms are the same. Also, treat yourself to a dinner outside the inn and enjoiy the dining room for the breakfast which is included with your rate. Breakfast was good. It would have been nice for my husband to have gluten free choices, such as toast, pancakes, or muffins. Also, the Manager walked back and forth with loud heels serving coffee, that was a bit annoying. Afternoon tea was served in the Cafe Hana room. Nice but again no gluten-free cookies for my husband. Dominque was quite helpful to us throughout our stay and she was also the staff member that greeted us at check in. You can tell she really enjoys her job and that means alot to a guest. Almost all the staff were friendly, sociable and helpful at all times. The Manager needs to be a little less defensive. Especially when there are signs to offer suggestions. This Inn has great potential! Please be sure to read the reviews and do take them seriously when making your reservation. We did enjoy our stay in many ways. We hope you do the same!

Room Tip: Spa Suite Soleil Room #5 Newer Room, modern and also handicap friendly. End unit.
1 Thank JLPHamilton
Greentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My jusband and I decided to stay and dine at the French Manor for Valentine's Day. Everything was magnificant to say the least. Everyone greeted us and was so polite, from the owners to the hopusekeepers. We were made to feel like royalty. The room was so beautiful and a large jacuzzi tub right in the room. The photos on their website don't do the location justice. The views were spectacular and the manor itself is built right into the side of the mountain. You can tell every detail was thought over and over again. The spa was out-of-this-world and the salt-water pool made you feel like you were in the ocean, but without the bad weather! The salt-water pool is in a building hwere the spa is located, so whatever the weather is outside, you can swim in this heated pool. The dinner was to die for. My husband and I had quail to start and it was fabulous. My husband's filet mignon was done to perfection. My pasta was homemade and you can definately tell the difference. The money was well worth it, because sometimes you have to treat yourself and your loved-one. We'll definately be back! I can't imagine anyone not enjoying themselves there. Everything was a dream and it makes it so much easier "traveling" to the South of France without every boarding a plane!

Room Tip: Before you book your room, tell the reservationist what you want. Some rooms have a jacussi in the r...
1 Thank 5397love
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed there midweek, about two weeks ago so had the benefit of few guests around. This is a beautiful elegant property and while a bit hard to find, that is one of the appealing aspects. If you are thinking "Poconos", nothing could be further from reality. It would be a spectacular venue for a summer wedding, or couples getaway. Most have king beds, impossibly soft sheets, fireplace and small deck. Soaking tubs are located in the bedroom proper but again, this is mostly for couples. There are three separate buildings so if possible ask for the Spa Suites or the Maisonettes building; there are one or two rustic rooms in the main building which may not be for everyone but you will think you are back in the 1920s Great Lodges. Dinner in the restaurant was amazing and service was impeccable. Yes, the requirement is for formal dress, but it is in keeping with the elegance of the property. Food was varied, perfect and inventive. Chris our server was well trained and amiable. My only comment is that one has to walk outdoors from your room to the spa, and if it is cold out, it is uncomfortable. Otherwise, I would highly recommend this and hope to go back myself in the future.

Room Tip: The Spa Suites building is most convenient for parking, walking to the spa and the restaurant. The...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Last weekend, I stayed at the French Manor Inn for a Girls Spa Weekend. It was one of the best relaxation weekends I have ever experienced. We arrived late Friday night in the snow and were greeted by a friendly face, Devon. He was courteous and even helped us find a local restaurant that was still open after 9:30 PM since we planned dinner at the Inn the next evening. We stayed in the Turrett Suite. The suite has the feel of a European country side bed and breakfast. Yes, it may not be Ritz Carlton, but you have every amenity and all the manor charm. The suite fits three comfortably and we loved the special touches throughout the two-level suite.

After a wonderful breakfast at the Manor, our day of spa treatments started. Everyone at the spa was amazing and you felt like you are among friends. We had massages, facials, manicures and pedicures. Services and the spa treatment rooms were top-notch. Thank you A.J., Jane, Juliana and Robin for such a wonderful experience. We left that day feeling so relaxed and glowing.

That evening we had dinner at French Manor and it was five star service. Lovely piano music played throughout dinner. It was so nice to enjoy each course and not be rushed. All restaurant staff was polite and attentive. If you love Lobster Bisque, you have found heaven. Chef Jeff, my taste buds loved every course. Special mention - Breakfast at the Manor is a must and you got to try the French toast.

So overall, if you are looking for a exceptional getaway with your honey or girlfriends in the mountains, you cannot go wrong at The French Manor. It is a place to be pampered, relax and enjoy the mountain setting without crouds. Everyone and I mean everyone was wonderful and made us feel so special. A special thank you to Becky for always greeting us with a smile and getting my Huckleberry candle. As I write this review, my candle is lite and all the wonderful memories of last weekend make me happy. Thank you for making my sister’s 40th birthday weekend so special. We definitely will be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Long Valley, New Jersey
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband took me here to celebrate my birthday for the weekend. It sounded quaint and romantic for a nice weekend. The person that greeted us was very friendly and showed us to our room which was located inside the main building (Florence room )We had to walk through the dining room in order to enter into our room. It was awkward at best with everyone staring at us and wondering why we were carrying luggage through the dining room. The room itself was bizarre. With old creaky furniture. The headboard appeared as if it was going to literally fall off its hinges. The entire room was covered with wood. The bathroom Had its original tile which needed to be redone. It literally reminded me of the 70's,But not in a a good way. Guests arrived in the upstairs bedroom on day two. They were not loud at all however you could hear every foot step, every single thing they were saying. And I mean everything! I felt as if I was in my parents house and I had to be quiet as well. Their romp in the middle of the night was disturbing to hear as well. The pool and hot tub were great. Breakfast was better the first day we were there. I feel like we got ripped off for this facility. Not at all what it is cracked up to be. Poor location as well. In the middle of nowhere. Try somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2013
frenchmanor, Manager at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Barbara123456789,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your winter getaway at the French Manor Inn and Spa. We appreciate your comments and constructive criticism. It is only by receiving such comments that we may strive to improve our services and quality.

The French Manor is a family run business in which we truly care for all aspects of our guests' comfort. All of our 19 accommodations are unique, especially the Main House rooms with the atmosphere of this elegant European Manor. For future reference, there is an alternate entry to the North wing of the Manor House for guests staying in only the Florence and Versailles Rooms. However, this entry may be difficult to utilize in mid-January if there is several inches of snow or ice. We will certainly see if there is a solution to this problem as we do understand that walking through the dining room may be awkward.

We are sorry that the Florence room did not meet your expectations. We do not normally receive comments about the noise from the upstairs room or the original charm of the 1930's deco-style tile work. In fact, the floor tile is not original. We did update this tile recently with a mosaic tile work complimentary with the architectural design. However, we will certainly take your comments seriously and investigate a possible solution to dampen the noise between the two levels.

We are glad to hear that you found our customer service very friendly and that you enjoyed our salt-water pool and hot tub. We try to make all our guests feel welcome and at home. Again, thank you for your comments. Positive or negative - every suggestion from our guests is taken very seriously.

We hope that sometime in the future you will give us an opportunity to show you what a special place The French Manor Inn and Spa is. I would be glad to help you plan your activities personally if you reach out to me directly. Thank you again for sharing your feedback. - Bridget
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Sterling
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
Crescent Lodge & Country Inn

Been to The French Manor Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!