“A Mountain-Top Oasis”

The French Manor Inn and Spa
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Amid stressful circumstances, I made a last-minute reservation for an overnight stay. I needed to pick up my son, who attends college in NYC, and this Inn is located approximately 2 hours outside of Manhattan. Upon my arrival after a five hour drive from upstate New York, I reported directly to Robin, my masseuse at the Spa. One hour later I emerged feeling ten pounds lighter and pain free! I went back to my room in The Carriage House and feel immediately into a restful sleep. I woke up in time for my fireside dinner reservation in the manor lodge where I indulged in a sensory feast of fine French cuisine, soothing classical Christmas music, and festive visuals that included the largest and most beautiful Christmas tree I had ever seen. After dinner, I enjoyed the therapeutic solitude of the hot tub and salt water swimming pool. As I was leaving the next morning after my delicious fireside course breakfast, I commented to Bridget that I could not believe how much better I felt and how rejuvenating my 16 hour stay had been. I am so glad I decided to make this trip! This Inn combines historic charm with five star service and a welcoming staff that feels like family. As an added perk, it is in close proximity to antique shops, ski resorts, and The Crossings Outlet Mall. Definitely the gem of the Poconos!

Room Tip: I found The Carriage House to be very quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I brought my special friend to The French Manor for a birthday gift. I was skeptical purchasing this type of accommodation online, but I relied upon reviews and took the chance and I was not disappointed. The suite was spacious with a beautiful, comfortable bed, a jacuzzi and a great sitting area. We took advantage of a couples massage at the spa, which was very well done. We also relaxed in the pool area, which was also comfortable and clean. The grounds were very pretty, as is the whole mountain setting. Lastly, the breakfast was excellent. I have only complements on the property and staff. There was nothing we didn't enjoy and we would love to go back. With the occassional email of specials, I am tempted!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed 2 nights at this lovely inn for a conference and thoroughly enjoyed it. The setting is breathtaking, the suite was beautifully appointed, the bed was very comfortable, and the food was excellent.

This was our first visit to The French Manor and it we'll definitely be returning if we are in the area. Next time we'll take advantage of their beautiful Spa facilities!

1  Thank QV-Doug
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We have been here quite a few times and this was our second time we stayed here on Thanksgiving. On each occasion, we have stayed in a different accommodation. This visit we stayed in Spa Suite #5. The room was lovely, but the bed was not as comfortable as when we stayed in the Carriage House or Spa Suite #1. When we first entered our room and went to hang our clothes, we were confused as the closet only had accommodations for short clothes? I had a dress, full length coat and my husband who is tall had a raincoat. The closet was fine for suits, etc. We then realized this Suite is handicap accessible which was no problem except for the closet. I am certain that handicap people have long clothing or possibly the person with them does, so I strongly believe that the closet in this suite should be re-designed to accommodate some full length clothing also. I also believe that when you are making a reservation, they should advise that this room is handicap accessible as we might have decided not to book it so that it would have been available for a handicap guest.

We learned from our last visit that they add 10% gratuity to your package. So if you have a bed and breakfast package, the gratuity is added for your servers at breakfast and the chamber maid. We have no objection to this except for the fact that our service at breakfast was awful. We arrived at 9:45 a.m. We were not shown to a table, but were told to seat at whatever table was clean. We sat there for at least 10 minutes or so before anyone even acknowledged us or even asked if we wanted coffee. Another 10 minutes later they brought the coffee which was luke warm. We had to ask if they had juice and what kind. We then told them what juice we wanted and that came another 10 minutes later. When the juice arrived, they asked us if we wanted to order, but we informed them that we never received menus. They gave us the menu and then after I don't know how long, came back to take our order. After at least 45 minutes, we finally had luke warm coffee, juice and a menu that we had to ask for and our breakfast order which must have been sitting in the kitchen for a while, as the omelette and eggs benedict was not hot, and the toast was limp, Needless to say, we ate one-quarter of our unappetizing breakfast. They never once returned to ask if we wanted more coffee, a glass of water or anything else. In this case, they did not deserve the gratuity. Normally, we tip even when the gratuity is added if we get normal, attentive service. Our chamber maid was excellent, and we gave her an additional well-deserved gratuity. I think that management should hire and properly manage wait staff that provides service and attentiveness especially if they want to pre-charge you for gratuity.

The Spa understandably was not open on Thanksgiving, but the pool and exercise room was. Their indoor pool is very nice and pleasant, except that you have to go outside to get to it. You can not enter it indoors from the Spa Suites. This is fine in good weather which we fortunately had on Thanksgiving day, but not a good idea in cold, windy wet weather. Usually the Spa, Pool and Exercise facilities are entered into via an indoor access. I don't think this was too well thought out. In addition, they did not have the afternoon tea in Hanna's Cafe as they were serving only Thanksgiving dinner in that location. This was another negative.

We always enjoy the Restaurant. The bartender and our server were excellent, and we had a wonderful table. Our Thanksgiving dinner was delicious, but not what you would expect for an ala carte price of $34.00 for Turkey. The Turkey plate included only Turkey Breast (no dark meat was available) some stuffing, sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts. No cranberry sauce and we had to ask for additional gravy as it was dry. When this entree was served to us, we waited a few minutes thinking that the cranberry sauce was on its way. We asked for it and were told, no cranberry sauce. The server tried to make us feel better by saying that the sorbet that was served to clean the pallette had cranberry flavor in it. I really don't think that a spoonful of sorbet replaces cranberry sauce with a turkey dinner. In addition, for that cost, there should have been dark meat, at least 2 vegetables and definitely cranberry sauce. What we had was good, but not a traditional Thanksgiving meal. In addition, the desserts were so limited and no apple, coconut custard or pecan pie, etc.----also traditional on Thanksgiving. I had ordered the soup of the day, and I believe it was either $11.00 or $14.00 and although they served it in a soup plate the quantity was the size of a small cup, if that. The appetizers on the menu also left a lot to be desired, so we went with the soup. We are spenders and have the means to be, but to spend $250.00 for 3 cocktails 1 $30.00 bottle of wine, 2 soups, 2 turkey dinners which were lacking, 1 desert and 1 coffee, it left a lot to be desired.

A nice touch was that they had a gentleman playing the piano during dinner. The only thing was that he played 10 minutes and took a break for 20 minutes. I don't know why they bothered. We met some couples at the Manor, and the comments above were also made by many of the other couples we met. The last time we had Thanksgiving here, it was perfect, so we were disappointed this visit.

We will visit the French Manor again, but would not stay for more than 1 night. We don't know if we do visit again whether we will have dinner at the Manor or go off the property. It just seems like since we first started going there they have slacked off with the service, quality and attentiveness that guests should get and deserve for the prices that they charge.

Their accommodations are lovely, the property is very picturesque, and a really nice touch is the fresh flower in your room, the Sherry and the cheese, crackers and fruit plate. This they have continued to provide. We like the French Manor, but we have to admit that this visit left us bewildered. We were happy we only stayed the one night and then went into Scranton for two nights. I sincerely hope that the owners/management view these comments and work at correcting some of these issues if they want to continue charging the prices that they do in this economy and want to get people who can afford it to come back. We did encourage the other couples we met to post reviews so that maybe these issues will be considered. Management, don't spoil a wonderful venue.

Room Tip: The carriage house is lovely Spa Suite #1 is very comfortable and Spa Suite #5 is especially nice a...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank janie51
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We had the good fortune to stay at the inn recently for a Select Registry conference. All the staff, from our greeting at the front desk, the dining room staff at breakfast and dinner and the owners Genni, Bridget, Bill & Mary Kay, were delightful and all eager to please. The meals, served in the dining room that overlooked the Poconos, were perfection with artful presentations and very generous servings. Even the light snow that fell our first day there added to the special mountain stay.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Just spent 3 days and 2 nights at The French Manor Inn and could not be happier. Room was spacious and very comfortable with a stunning view over the Poconos from the private balcony. Breakfast was delicious and served with just enough formality to make us feel special. Dinner was outstanding and just spending time in the vaulted dining room makes you feel like a princess. A facial (ask for AJ!!) and a pedicure in their spa were icing on the cake. Can't wait to go back

Room Tip: Rooms in the out buildings are spacious and more modern, rooms in the main building have tons of cha...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband and I traveled to the French Manor to attend a meeting. Our room was very large (Spa Suites) with lovely amenities. The deck provided nice vistas - especially for the snowfall that greeted us our first morning. The food was outstanding. We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner there and would welcome the opportunity to dine there again. We did not have the chance to take advantage of the spa or other Inn amenities. The staff was terrific at the front desk and the dining room. Our housekeeper was very attentive and went out of her way to be friendly and approachable. We would certainly recommend the French Manor to others.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Sterling
The Lodge at Woodloch
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek

Been to The French Manor Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!