“Loved it”

The French Manor Inn and Spa
PA
“Loved it”
Reviewed February 2, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the French Manor Jan30-Feb1. We have stayed at many B&B's, resorts, villas, you name it and this was one of our favorites. We had the Enchanted Evenings package which included flowers, champagne and Godiva chocolates along with dinner both nights and a picninc/packed lunch. We stayed in the Suite Genevieve which had a homey French decor. Sure there were some scratches on the furniture but it was well cared for and looked comfortable and livable. If you are looking for a super plush room (ie The Tickle Pink) this is not it. The bathroom itself was a little cramped but the jacuzzi was great. The food was wonderful, the staff was very attentive and very nice. We had a great massage and all in all we very much enjoyed our stay and we will be going back, especially when the spa is built.

In our suite we noticed NONE of the other issues people had complained of and we encountered no problems from the staff or innkeepers. Go and visit this beautiful B&B and see for yourself, this is a jewel!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
New York
Reviewed January 9, 2008

Not sure what the previous member is talking about???? The French Manor is EXQUISITE!!! My husband and I were there for 2 very relaxing memorable nights...we also stayed in the top tier roonm La Mainsore, it was perfect...clean, romantic and very quiet...the food was good...but i would not rate as outsatnding... my husband is a graduate of THE CIA and the filet mignon was not a great cut for the price , the portions were very small and not sure why there was gratuity put on the liqour???The breakfast was out of this world..the staff was WONDERFUL!!! very friendly, kind. and attentive. I would give The Fench Manor a FIVE STAR rating for accomodations and 31/2 for the restaurant ( keep in mind that coming from someone who is married to a cia graduate 3 1/2 is not too shabby!!! We will definately be back to The French Manor!!!
P.S.
They are going to break ground on a spa bldg in the sping of this year!!! The plans look beautiful! Can't wait to stay there ...

• Liked — The Room
  • Disliked — The Area
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mpelisa
bucks county
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Inexperienced staff... owners with no class... moldy bathroom... if you enjoy paying 700 dollars for a weekend of this.. this is the perfect place but i suggest visiting an S&M place which will kick you in the nuts for much cheaper... seriously... i went for a wine lovers weekend and after drinking terrible wine, crappy cheese and terrible salami... i sat in a room completely noisy due to the classless fat (btw fat people with no class find this place particularly enjoyable so be warned)... couple above us who did nothing bt argue throughout the night... the irony being of course that the place is named the french manor and staff and patron alone lacks any class.. but please try it for yourself.. and leave a msg...... you will concur.

Stayed November 2007
6 Thank frenchmanorblows
mum_on_the_go, Manager at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this review, January 17, 2008
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at the French Manor for our Wine Lover's Weekend. This particular package is one of our guests' favorites, hence the reason we are offering it again this coming April (back by popular demand). I would like to apologize to all our previous guests and potential future guests for the derogatory comments from this particular review. Though this comment is quite rude, we will take your criticism in a positive light and try to learn from it. It is by our guests comments that we may strive to improve our quality and service at The French Manor.
Bridgewater, NJ
Reviewed December 29, 2007

We spent two nights at The French Manor as a short getaway during the Christmas holiday. The experience was adequate but nothing spectacular.

We stayed in the top-tier room, the Maisonneuve Suite. The name is a bit misleading since the room was not technically a suite, but rather a large room, containing a fireplace, couch and whirlpool tub. The room was clean and comfortable but a bit sterile and completely lacking in unique character. The decor and furnishings were mass-produced, little more than what you might expect at a Marriott. There was a vacuum cleaner in the closet (not sure if they wanted us to vacuum the room?). The water pressure was rather weak, the toilet did not flush well and climate control was via a large, loud, Motel 6-type unit along the wall. The walls were thin and a loud snorer in the adjacent room kept us awake for several hours. However, the view was beautiful and the fireplace was cozy.

Food at the restaurant was also good but not great. The dining room was very attractive, in the grand main house. In the case of both dinner and breakfasts, the execution was adequate but the recipes were uninspired and sometimes strange (chocolate sauce with the berry pie?). Service staff consisted largely of teenagers, who were friendly, courteous and prompt but rather unexperienced and awkward. It seemed as though more emphasis and effort was placed on presenting the meal with stilted flourishes than on the cuisine itself (perhaps as a distraction?). Although not bad, the entrees did not warrant their average $40 price.

While we could provide a stronger recommendation if the room rate were 50% what we charged, there was nothing about our experience that could justify $340/night. Particularly disturbing was the inn's practice of charging a mandatory 15% gratuity on top of the room rate, bringing the rate to over $390/night. "Mandatory gratuity" is an oxymoron and is nothing more than an underhanded way of charging a higher rate without having to disclose it up front. In general, the overarching impression we were left with was that the proprietors were trying to paint a facade of luxury through little more than exorbitant fees and window dressings.

• Liked — The setting - the view and architecture
  • Disliked — The price, poor value
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank roxandnate
Atlanta
Reviewed October 16, 2007

My wife and I were married a few weeks ago in Wilkes-Barre, PA (were she grew up). We decided to take a few days, which was all we had time for, after the wedding to "disappear" into the Poconos. We certainly were not looking for any of the cheesy/typical Poconos getaways, and The French Manor was perfect! It is secluded and private with amazing views. The staff was very helpful and friendly, too. My wife and I had been so busy planning and executing our wedding, that all we wanted was some quiet, relaxing time alone. We didn't even venture into the dining room once, as the staff brought all of our meals to the room! We sipped wine in the evenings and gazed out at the beautiful changing leaves. It was a perfect way to spend the days following our wedding...we just wish it could have been longer!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SRPnLAKP
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed September 3, 2007

We stayed at the French Manor for one night on a recent return trip from Canada. It was a disappointment. Our room was in the Manor house right next to the resataurant and we could hear the noise from the restaurant the whole evening. The room was shabby and in need of major renovation. The bathroom had mildew and cracks and was altogether dingy.

The bedroom air conditioner was worthless: noisy without being able to cool the room at all. And you could not close the curtain without impeding the airflow from the unit.

One was supposed to be able to control the room lights and the lights over the bed from a switch in the bedboard. The knob for the switch was missing, so the room lights and overhead lights could not be turned off at the bedside. You had to get out of bed to turn the lights on and off at the main switch!

The food was mediocre at best, with the bread being poor. You cannot even order an expresso. Beware also of the billing procedure. We were presented with a bill that did not leave room for a tip, so we gave a cash tip to the Maitre D. Our tip was based on the total bill, including wine. On check out we noticed that an addtional gratuity had been added to the cost of the wine!

In short, best to give this place a miss, particularly.
given the cost of staying there.

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank Bluejayway
mum_on_the_go, Manager at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this review, September 25, 2007
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the French Manor. We are saddened to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay as we normally receive such kind reviews from our guests. Therefore, you can be sure that we have taken your comments seriously. In fact, we have already addressed the issues concerning the guestroom you accupied.

For future reference, the bar tab is always attached to the back of every check so that dinner guests may review it prior to paying their bill. We will certainly take your comments into consideration. Perhaps we may try presenting our dinner checks differently in the future. We appreciate your suggestions.

We hope that our attention to your concerns has renewed your faith in the French Manor. We hope for the opportunity to welcome you back to the French Manor in the future.

All the best,
The Logan Family and French Manor Staff
Maryland
Reviewed July 6, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the French Manor last month (June, 2007) for our 25th wedding anniversary. Short version: our room was nice, but their accommodation to my simple dietary restrictions was a disaster! Read below for the longer version of my story.

I am celiac, which means that I can't eat wheat, rye or oats. If I do, I get very ill. When my husband and I made our reservations the preceeding February (2007) on-site, I told the receptionist that I am celiac. The receptionist assured me that the French Manor could accommodate people with dietary restrictions.

Flash forward to our stay at the French Manor a few months later, in June 2007, with the Enchanted Evening package - we had two dinners and two breakfasts during our stay. During our first breakfast, one of the dining room staff told me that the kitchen had gluten-free pancake mix, and suggested that they would be happy to make me gluten-free pancakes for my breakfast the next day. I was very much looking forward to this, and ordered gluten-free pancakes for breakfast on our very last day (the day that we checked out of the French Manor). The pancakes that I was served tasted wonderful. I left the dining room, went back to my room to finish packing, and received a phone call in my room in which one member of the staff informed me there had been an error in the kitchen - I had been served regular wheat flour pancakes, not the gluten-free pancakes promised. The person who I talked to didn’t know what to do, except apologize.

I didn’t know what to say to the person who called, or to the person at the check-out desk who also apologized before we left. Since I was
diagnosed with celiac disease three years ago, I haven’t had a gluten-containing meal since, so I didn’t know how my body would react. In a half-hour, it was painfully obvious that I would not have a good day. That breakfast caused me to feel nauseous for the next two days. I feel that I was lucky to live relatively close – a three hour car ride is all that it took me to get home and recuperate. I’m very glad that I didn’t have to drive myself home, or have to endure a long car, plane, or train trip home. I’m also lucky that I didn’t have a more severe reaction; some celiacs end up in the hospital after exposure to glutens.

I wrote a letter to the owners of the French Manor and told them of this episode. Currently, almost one mohth after my stay, I have yet to hear from anybody at the French Manor.

Basically, I feel that for the large amount of money we paid for the room and for the meals, that we had not been treated well. I would not recommend the French Manor to friends or to other people who have dietary restrictions.

• Liked — View from room was nice
  • Disliked — Their accommodation of my special diet.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ellyn54
mum_on_the_go, Manager at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this review, August 14, 2007
We appreciate your comments regarding your experience at The French Manor. I assure you that we are taking this matter seriously.

The French Manor is a family run business in which we truly care for all aspects of our guest’s comfort. It was certainly not our intention to make you feel uncomfortable. We do frequently have guests with certain dietary restrictions and are very careful to be sure that all requests are met. When we discovered there was a mistake in your breakfast order, we felt that it was important to address it immediately.

Of course, we made it a point to review your comments with our staff. As professionals, they realize that it is only by receiving such suggestions from our guests that we may improve our services.

We at The French Manor strive to combine an elegant setting with the warmth and graciousness of our service. We hope that we have restored your faith in the French Manor wish for the opportunity to welcome you back to the Manor in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Sterling
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,264 reviews

Been to The French Manor Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!