“Very good but can be a bit more accomodating...”
Review of The French Manor

The French Manor
Reserve with OpenTable
The French Manor is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Huckleberry Road
Transit: Limousine services can be arranged. Overnight guests can be picked up by The French Manor at the Mount Pocono Bus Station or Scranton / Wilkes-Barre Airport (fee applies).
Description: One of Pennsylvania's finest Pocono's Restaurants... The elegant dining room at The French Manor features a 40 foot vaulted ceiling & two massive fireplaces. Request a table near the terrace for a wonderful view of the Pocono Mountains, or a table by the fireplace for later dining. Breakfast in nice weather can be accommodated on the stone veranda. Our gourmet dinner menu features both Classical & Nouvelle French Cuisine. Candlelight dining, culinary expertise, & our pampering staff make each meal a memorable dining experience. Jackets are suggested for gentlemen in the formal dining room. Please note that the restaurant is not suitable for children under the age of 12 years. Hanna's Cafe offers casual dining & cocktails nightly. Terrace Dining available - weather permitting. AAA four-diamond rated restaurant & lodging. Featured in Gourmet magazine as one of Pa's best restaurants. Written up in the Philadelphia Inquirer as "Dinner Fit for a King".
Piscataway, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very good but can be a bit more accomodating...”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The meal itself and quality of food was excellent. My only complaint was their vegetable side was asparagus which I hate. When I asked if I could sub another vegetable the waiter said "no" very abruptly but then quickly said "let me go ask". When he came back to take our order he mentioned nothing about asking. When I brought it up again he said "oh yeah he can't do that, he (the chef I assume) only has 1 vegetable choice". I found it strange that a simple request such as this could not be accommodated. To "make up for it" he said he'd give me extra potatoes (but did not, in fact the amount of potatoes I got was very minimal). Our drinks were comped which was nice (but only because a waiter knocked over a glass bottle of liquor and it spilled all over the floor near our feet and soaked my purse.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Gabrielle N

Poconos
“Going Downhill”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We are "locals" and save the French Manor for one or two special occasions a year, and always on our anniversary, which was last night. It is seriously overpriced but we look on it as a special treat ... mainly because it is nice to be among people who have dressed for dinner and, for the most part, silenced their cell phones.

Last night it was NOT worth it. Service was slow and inept. Worse, however was the fact that the food was just plain bad. I began with lamb confit ... clearly intriguing. But the lamb had none of the unctuous quality so critical to any confit. It consisted of dry hunks of lamb on a crustini that was billed as having squash puree. Whatever was smeared on the crostini was tasteless. The goat cheese topping tasted like goat cheese. Hooray for that.

My husband ordered a steak that was so tough that he (forgive me for being graphic) actually had to put chewed pieces back on the plate. It was that inedible. He did not manage to get the attention of the waiter until he was halfway through. The chef offered to prepare another steak but my husband declined since wehad already been sitting for nearly two hours.

My main course - boulliabaise -was hit and miss. Scallops were silky and outstanding; lobster was tough, overcooked and chewy ... not admirable qualities in lobster. And there was no calamari as promised on th menu.

We shared a piece of chocolate cake for dessert. It was ice cold, a sure sign that this came from the freezer, not the oven.

Wine is -- as other reviewers have stated -- way overpriced, especially given the trend we have seen in a number of other upscale restaurants toward lowering wine mark-ups. And be warned: the tack on a bar gratuity without your permission. read your bill carefully!

Unfortunately we have decided that our special occasions will be celebrated somewhere other than French Manor.

• Visited October 2012
4 Thank finpits
Newfoundland, Pennsylvania
“Cold Meal”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Over 90 minute wait for cold meal. Three times overcharged for wine selected. Gift certificates offered and never sent.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Dan K
Washington,DC
“Above average food with high prices”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

One of the things you are paying for in this restaurant is the atmosphere. To say the least, the dining room is very nice. That said, I did not bring a jacket on our mid-week escape from the grind, so my girlfriend and I were relegated to sitting in the "cafe", which does not have nearly the same ambiance. (They do have loaner jackets, which I declined. So admittedly, we were in the cafe by choice.)

The appetizers and salads were above average, and the main course was very nice. The California wines were good and reasonably priced. Overall, the food was over priced, however.

All things considered, it's between 3 and 4.

1 Thank BalkanHoneyNVaBear
Naples, Florida
“Exhorbitant prices for poor quality and poor service”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

$50 entrees that are badly made, poorly presented and badly served by willing but untrained staff. Lost of customer complaints were heard. None of the management seemed to care.

Visited July 2012