“Would definitely go back again.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Franco's Trattoria - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Would definitely go back again.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2011

The South Hills area of Pittsburgh seems to be lacking in good and unique (non-chain) restaurants. My husband and I went to Franco's Trattoria for my birthday in November 2010. We were seated immediately by a friendly hostess. Our waiter was personable and attentive, but not at all pushy or overly attentive. We ordered the crab balls - if you like crab cakes, you have to get these. They were FABULOUS! Four delicate crab balls, roughly the size of jawbreakers, with lump crab and a delicious sauce drizzled over top. I could have made my meal just several orders of these. The dinner salads were the only unremarkable part of our experience. They were your basic dinner salad. Not bad, just average. My husband ordered a salmon pasta dish, which he enjoyed immensely. I ordered one of the specials: lobster ravioli topped with shrimp and pan-seared scallops, in a creamy tomato basil sauce. It was unbelievably good. There was just the right amount of sauce - enough that the past wasn't dry, but it wasn't swimming, either. I never order scallops because they are almost always overcooked until they are like rubber hockey pucks, but these were perfect. For dessert, we split what was a scoop of vanilla ice cream coated a la Mexican Fried Ice Cream in candied whole pecans. Several sauces were available for topping - we opted for the butterscotch and whipped cream. We were very glad that we shared the dessert, as it was quite rich and more than enough for the two of us. The coffee was also better than average restaurant coffee, and was the perfect complement to the sweetness of the candied pecans. It was a wonderful, relaxing dinner, and I'm so happy that we "discovered" it.

• Visited November 2010

Elkins, WV
“Expensive, good atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2009

This is 'THE PLACE' to be seen in Peters now. The food is nothing special and the prices are high. The atmosphere is what you pay for here, and it is very nice. We go there for drinks now, but only after we eat somewhere else.

1 Thank Oofies
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Excellent Italian- Owners just open a second location in Peters Township.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2009

Excellent Italian- Owners just open a second location in Peters Township.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook