“Nice clean place to sleep”
Review of Super 8 Somerset

Super 8 Somerset
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Somerset
Valley Stream, New York
“Nice clean place to sleep”
Reviewed May 4, 2012 via mobile

The night manager was very helpful and the room was clean and comfortable. For the price this is great.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Roseville
Reviewed April 27, 2012

My stay was absolutely awful and ended up costing me an additional 200 to 300 dollars. They offer(ed) laundry service for $5 but lost almost all of my clothing, leaving me with only one pair of work clothing. Eventually the maid found a few of my worn t shirts and some underwear in another room. The laundry was returned to someone elses room. Accidents happen, but I was made to feel like a thief and accused of inflating my losses. What nerve! Patrick Patel refuses to compensate me for my loss and he will have his day in court.
The facilities were worn out and dirty. The low ceilings and dim lights make the place feel like a cave. When child molesters die, they should spend an eternal stay at this flea bag dive.

Room Tip: Go to any other hotel and ask if they have a vacancy.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Tanderson51

Travelers are raving about these Somerset hotels

Carnegie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Friendly and helpful staff..clean and comfortable room..Xfinity cable..open garage-like parking..an exercise room..all for a great price!

Room Tip: Join the value club for a discount rate.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Going here, you know up front this isn't a $100 a night quality hotel. Yet, the room was marked up, the bed did not have a fitted sheet, the mattress sunk in the middle (making for sore backs the next morning), and our first floor room had a huge parking lot light right outside our window. Even with the curtains closed, the room was very lit up at night. Walls have numerous marks. Continental breakfast oddity is that the milk is in a pitcher with no ice.

A big security concern is that you can access the hotel from street level parking (either from the side door at the end or the door by the under the building garage parking) and these doors are open all the time! No key needed. The hotel really needs to look into this. I know anyone can come into a lobby, but side our underground entrances that are open are odd. Most hotels I've stayed at you need a key to get into the building if it's not at the main entrance.

All the above made us decide to cancel the second night of our reservation. Because we had made this on the hotel site, the front desk clerk (who was very helpful and efficient) said we had to call the company to cancel. We called and they had no record of our reservation. The clerk then canceled the reservation and gave us the bill for the first night. The bill was higher than what my online booking receipt showed. Thankfully, when I showed her the receipt she charged us the online rate, but had I not said anything or noticed, we would have been overcharged.

We had stayed here once before and had a better bed and no outdoor room light on the second floor, since the lights are all on the first floor rooms.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kteacher10
Hays, Kansas
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed here a couple of nights ago. We were a group of 7 people traveling from New York to Indiana for Thanksgiving holidays. Before we left, I had talked to the hotel front desk personnel (Debbie) over phone and had not even made a reservation as she told us that it was not peak season. When we arrived it was after 3 am, but she greeted us with a smile and recollected having talked to me (4 days ago) and gave me the same price that was mentioned (it was also the lowest fare for the season).

The hotel is located conveniently just off the highway, but still it was calm as I could not hear the drone of the vehicles from the highway. There is a parking garage on the lower level (which is covered) and from here you could enter the hotel's main lobby by an elevator. This was very convenient as it was quite cold when we arrived. We were given 2 rooms with king size beds and one with 2 queen beds all of which were kept clean. The heaters were working fine when we switched them on and within a few minutes I was fast asleep. Breakfast is not special, but you get the usual continental stuff. There is a waffle maker for waffle fans. I cannot complain as I paid a very nominal price for my rooms and also got a decent breakfast. There is also a Starbucks Coffee place just behind the hotel (see behind the area of the parking garage) and a McDonald's right across. You could walk there in 2 minutes. If you don't like the breakfast provided by the hotel, these are good alternatives.

We were already on our way by 10 in the morning. The hotel just suited our purpose. We wanted a clean, safe, inexpensive place that was located not very far from the highway and this was our find!

Room Tip: Try to ask for rooms that are not located at the end of the hallway as these rooms could be a little...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank NYPhysician
Martins Ferry, Ohio
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I noticed the hotel soap made me itch a lot and it felt like bug bites. As soon as I switched soap, no itching. Bed was very comfortable. Only complaint I had was poor water pressure in the shower, but it was enough to get the job done. Waffles, cereal and bagels for breakfast.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Jason D
Granville, Ohio
Reviewed October 23, 2011

The rates were good, we didn't feel like we were buying the place for two nights. The linen looked washed and not washed, some were white and some were brown, this could have been the water, which had a brown tint to it. The staff was courteous, they even brought from home a jar of jelly for the toast in the AM. We had commented on there being no jelly in the breakfast area, the next day there was a jar of jelly. The coffee was awful weak, the waffles were delicious. The room was large with a new flat panel TV, the new screwy light bulbs were dim. The under the building parking was great, out of the elements great. The hand rail in the elevator was loose and slid down when touched. The beds were the worst ever, didn't sleep well both nights.

Room Tip: View room before commiting
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple