“A Day Away From the 'Burgh”

Quill Haven Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Somerset B&B and Inns
Plum, Pennsylvania
“A Day Away From the 'Burgh”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed there to celebrate our 5'th wedding anniversary. For us there were pros and cons to stay at Quill Haven. The pics for this Band B are misleading. Quill Haven is not in the center of nature, it is in fact, on the main strip of Center Avenue, albeit, it is Somerset, but we were looking for a "country B and B, and passed it up (no distinguishing sign very visible, and directions appear B and B is off the beaten path... but, it isn't.). The rooms are compareable to other B and B's (room size-wise). We stayed in the Rose Room, which had old Christmas-looking flowers twisted above us on the canopy. Since we stayed there from late June-early July, I guess it was Christmas in July. I was sleeping fine until someone was admited at 1:00 am; the Rose Room is at the front entrance. These same new arrivals continued to talk (loudly at times), watch tv, and move around objects in their room until 4:00 am, at which time I finally got too exhausted and feel asleep. My husband said this was the give and take of B and Bs.
Our host was very, very busy and gracious. She made picture perfect breakfasts, except for the cornflake-covered french toast. While the food, aside from the french toast, was delicious, the portions were megre. My husband and I are thin, but we left the table wanting. For example, we shared breakfast with another couple several mornings. The last morning, we were given at total of 8 very thin portions of ham; it was clear that our "main portion" for breakfast was to be rationed. For the cost of our stay, I feel an extra slice of ham per boarder would not be asking much:).
Finally, if you are not a Fox-watching-Republican, you may want to keep your conversations generalized, or stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: We had the Rose Room, which is fine if you are an early riser, and/or you don't mind people arri...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dee B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Verona, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here while visiting the Flight 93 Memorial. It was convenient to this historic site. The inn was nicely appointed and had a common area that held the coffee and refrigerator for the soda and wine they provided.
The hedgehog collection is unique and quite a conversation piece.
Our room was spacious with a large bathroom. Only drawback was the sunken tub that was quite narrow and difficult to get in and out of for me.
The breakfast was good with waffles , sausage, fruit, three types of juice and coffee.
If you are in the area, this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013
Croydon, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I can't say enough about the friendliness and attention to detail of this lovely inn. Feeding their goats was the highlight of my recent trip and the breakfasts were top quality. Their eggs were from their own chickens, very tasty! I would go back here for a stay anytime.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This was my second trip here after my initial visit in 2009. The place is still beautiful and cosy. Another great stay! The breakfast was awesome and the hot tub was a great way to unwind after a long day of travel. Why would you even bother with Holiday Inn or any other large hotel chain?? This is THE place to stay in Somerset. I will definitely stay here if I pass through Somerset again. Thanks Carol!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Winter Springs, Florida
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at B&B's across the Country and Canada. From low price to super expensive. Quill Haven Country Inn has taken the top rating in our book! The Innkeeper was the absolute friendliest. She made us feel welcome and at home the minute we stepped through the door. The entire Inn and grounds were clean, warm, and inviting! The Rose Room was beautiful, peaceful, and spotless! The bed comfortable and the bath sparkling. A black washcloth was even offered to use to remove makeup without staining the white towels! How smart! Cookies awaited us in the den along with movies, books, games, etc. The grounds are perfectly manicured. We could even visit chickens and goats being raised on their farm. The breakfast the Innkeeper cooked for us that the other guests was wonderful and freshly prepared. We cannot wait to return! Make a mad dash to Quill Haven! It is worth the distance!

Room Tip: The Rose Room is on the lower floor and very easy to access.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I immediately felt at home at Quill Haven. The owners did a great soundproofing job when remodeling because you do not hear any noise from other rooms. I stayed three days and slept soundly each night. Each room is charming and clean. You will start each day off right with one of Carol's wonderful breakfasts! This is a wonderful place to stay and there is nothing to disappoint. I will gladly stay there again, and again, and again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Imperial, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Have stayed at Quill Haven four times. Each visit has been past awesome. Carol and Rowland are the perfect hosts, so friendly, you feel like part of the family as soon as you walk through the door. Carol's breakfasts are unbelievable, always something different, and taste so good. Stayed in a different room each time. The rooms are always so nicely decorated. Quill Haven is one place where when it is time to go, and you say " wish I didn't have to go " you really mean it.

Room Tip: Any room is great.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Somerset
Holiday Inn Express Somerset
A1Economy Inn
#4 of 12 in Somerset
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Donegal
Quality Inn & Conference Center

Been to Quill Haven Country Inn? Share your experiences!