“Unpretentiously Excellent”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This diner (that actually is your basic old-style diner) was a rare find. We went there for dinner because it was listed in our Hampton Inn hotel guide. Atmosphere was friendly. Waitress seemed to know most everyone who was eating there. Cost was very reasonable for both portion quantities (which were large) and price (which was low). Food quality was surprisingly good. Spaghetti and meatballs, for example, tasted better than most so-called Italian Restaurants (insert Olive Garden here) in my opinion. Milkshakes were only $2.99 and made the old fashioned way with a metal container, which they brought to the table with all the extra. The two of us ate for under $20.

There are newer reviews for Summit Diner

Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Summit Diner has a good breakfast special, but skip this place for lunch and dinner. Small portions, low-quality food, poorly cooked. A very bad value. Our server was incredibly rude - I wonder if the owner knows how much business she is costing them. There are many other restaurant choices available nearby - you can do much better.

1  Thank pa_professor
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Our road trip took us to Somerset, PA where we found Summit Diner. I was excited to try this find because most of the diners I try are pretty good. However, Summit Diner was a BIG disappointment. The place does have the authentic diner look. From the stainless steel facade to the booths it had all the makings of a good diner, but the service and the quality of the food was not what I expected. The wait was long before the waitress came for our order and than she did not get the order right. Chili, a fish sandwich, and a peanut butter cheeseburger. Greasy and small. I do not mind paying more for a real size burger. The burger looked like a slider. 3 bites! My wife's fish sandwich looked like it came out of a cafeteria: frozen and greasy. What a disappointment. I recommend you pass on Summit Diner.

1  Thank ChiKid60035
Reviewed July 9, 2013

There aren't a lot of choices for breakfast and a diner always seems to be the best so we went to the Summit Diner for breakfast one morning. The juices were HUGE in size, and the waitress was very accommodating. My husband had an omlette and I had SOS with home fries. They were both very good.

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Really wanted to like this place as we always look good local places. We even ignored the mixed reviews to make up our own minds about it. We had a quirky server with a somewhat abrasive demeaner. That was ok - her directness was quite humorous actually. As our first time there, we asked about "house favorites" and she suggested the hot turkey sandwich. Staff knows these things (one would expect!) so we ordered up. It was horrible, the gravy was cold and thick, the turkey was skimpy and dry, just not good. The diner seems charming at first, but the bathrooms were filthy and looking closer so were the dining room floors. Still, we thought maybe our experience could be salvaged with fabulous homemade pies for dessert; we ordered cherry and coconut cream. The crusts were pretty good and probably homemade, but the fillings on both pies tasted straight out of a can. Pretty unmistakable! Be sure to have some Tums handy, about an hour after eating that mess, my husband and I both needed the relief! The Summit needs to clean it up and increase the quality of ingredients - and the place could be awesome. The good news, I guess, is that the gross food was cheap.

1  Thank stephanie s