“unhappy people”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I was ready to leave before I was seated. The manager who seated us put the menus on the table and proceed to walk away into me. He was a big man and I am a small person. He didn't wait for me to be seated and he didn't apologize for almost running me over.
The food was okay. The prices were high. The staff was not happy and showed when they served you and other customers. I wouldn't eat here again.

1  Thank Mary B

Reviewed September 16, 2013

This was touted as the best restaurant in Somerset, plus the hotel gave us a discount coupon. We just had hamburgers. The menu was small and somethings looked expensive. Obviously other people like it as it filled up quickly. It's right across the road from the Comfort Inn.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We visited the Pine Grill for dinner upon the recommendation of a nearby hotel. The interior sports a traditional colonial revival decor "from our parents' day", which adds to the overall comfort of the place. It is not retro or campy; it's clean and attractive. The menu is extensive, the prices are fair, the portions are ample, and the quality is excellent. Comfort foods are a specialty, and we learned that their daily specials can sell out fast. I had meatloaf with real mashed potatoes and gravy, very tasty and satisfying. My partner had large, plump Maryland crabcakes, which he pronounced to be delicious, also with mashed potatoes and gravy. Both entrees came with a nice salad. I only wished that I'd left room for dessert. If I'm ever in Somerset again, I will definitely pay another visit to the Pine Grill.

1  Thank Travelin_Bear
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Nice looking place that was full of local people on a Sunday evening. The food tasted home-cooked and the mashed potatoes were real, not instant. The meatloaf was fine. My wife's linguini with meatballs and sauce was cooked al dente and the sauce had a fresh tomato flavor, it had not come from a jar. Two dinners and two draft beers came to 21.00, quite reasonable.

1  Thank RKBOhio
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The Pine Grill was recommended to us by the hotel front desk staff. They gave us a discount coupon for this restaurant as well. It was a short walk down the hill and across the street.

The first night, I had one of the specials, Moist Chicken Thighs. They weren't kidding. I sort of hinted to the waitress that I wondered how the chef got them so moist, as I never could get mine that tender and juicy (after 31 years of cooking), but I never got the answer back from the kitchen. I suppose they want to keep it a secret, as I guess it should be! My husband had the half-portion of the Grilled Chicken Pasta, and was very pleased. He has a big appetite, and he was pleasantly full with the half portion. We both had room for pieces of their delicious pies.

We were so impressed, we returned the second night of our stay in Somerset. The hotel was kind enough to give us a second discount coupon, after we asked. This time, my husband had the Moist Chicken Thighs (as he had a taste of mine the night before), and I had the Shrimp and Crab Pesto Genovese. That was equally delicious. My portion was large and I could not finish it. I would have taken the rest home for a lunch the next day, but we were back on the road so, sadly, I had it cleared. We did save room for two more pieces of their delicious pies, though.

The restaurant is clean and cozy with its knotty pine walls. The waitstaff was friendly and attentive, even though the restaurant was more crowded on our second night, which was a Monday.

This is the place for a taste of home cooking in Somerset, PA. We will definitely stop here again, as we pass through on our next trip.

1  Thank JGPfromPA