“Disengaged Table Partners”

Good 'N Plenty Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Smoketown
Cuisines: American, Dutch
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: At Good 'N Plenty Restaurant, we are pleased to offer our guests family style dining, menu dining, a takeout program, an award winning bake shop and an extensive gift shop. Bring family, friends and neighbors to enjoy our traditional Lancaster County home cooking. See and taste why we have been chosen as one of AAA's Top Ten BEST "down home dining" restaurants in North America as well as voted "the best" local PA Dutch restaurant. We look forward to serving you!!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Disengaged Table Partners”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Having heard about Good & Plenty, my friend and I visited. It's an unusual set-up. You either pay for an all-you-can-eat meal, in which case you have to eat at a table with others (strangers), or you can go into a different part of the restaurant, and choose from the menu. The bill, without tip, was about $23. As I walked up to the counter before my friend, she didn't hear the explanation of the set-up. I was all for choosing from a menu, but she wanted the all-you-can-eat option. Big mistake. Our... appetizers, I suppose you'd call them, were chow-chow, a sweet coleslaw-like dish, apple sauce, and a beef spread (sort of like a tunafish consistency). I tried the applesauce and the chow-chow. What can I say about applesauce? It was, well, applesauce. The chow-chow was okay. My friend didn't care for the meat spread, and neither of us tried the coleslaw. The drinks at the table were water, lemonade, and tea. The entrees that night were pot roast, a ham loaf, and fried chicken. Not a fan of pot roast myself, but my friend liked it. Neither of us cared for the ham loaf. The chicken was okay. The vegetables were corn, peas, mashed potatoes, and... I don't recall if there was something else. The peas and corn were fine. There were condiments on the table... cottage cheese, and two others. (Sorry, I'm blanking.) I didn't try any of them. The desserts were shoo fly pie, apple pie, an individual cheesecake (plain, or with a blueberry topping), chocolate ice cream, vanilla ice cream, and orange sherbet. I passed on the shoo fly pie, and the cheesecake. (I like cheesecake, but it would have entailed me asking the waitress for a plain one as they were scooped up first.) The apple pie - it had a crumb crust, rather than a pie crust tasted like something you'd pick up (well, I wouldn't. At least not more than once.) at a cheap supermarket. The orange sherbet was fine. My friend said that the cheesecake tasted like it had been refrigerated for a few days, and the ice creams (she had vanilla and chocolate) were tasteless and icy. What made it worse was our table companions. As you are served family-style (bowls, platters, and pitchers are passed around the table for you to serve yourself), you have to ask others to pass this or that. My friend and I were at a table with a family of six, and more often than not we had to ask two times when we wanted to have an item passed to us.

While I can't opine on the rest of the facility, I won't be going back because of my experience for the food ticket side of the facility. I thought it was over priced, the food was average, and the "service" (depending on table partners to pass on the food) was sub-par.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank CabinMate
Glen L, Owner at Good 'N Plenty Restaurant, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Thank you for your review.

Cornwall, Vermont
“Worth the trip”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We make it a point to drive down from VT at least once a year to Good and Plenty. Always a wonderful meal at a fair price. Love the selection of baked goods available and the gift shop too.

• Visited November 2013
Glen L, Owner at Good 'N Plenty Restaurant, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thank you for visiting us from VT - we appreciate your kind words and look forward to serving you again!!
River Edge, New Jersey
“Weekend”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Love the family sit down feel you get in Good 'N Plenty. The food is always great and you can eat all you want. Love sitting with people you don't know and getting to know them. Service is always great when we are there. Love going to the little shop they have here. This place is really nice.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Ann H
Glen L, Owner at Good 'N Plenty Restaurant, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
We appreciate your kind response - our servers are the best and enjoy hearing your kind words. We look forward to serving you again soon!
Gap
“Chicken was good”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

There are better places to spend this kind of money on a meal in Lancaster Co. We had a BOGO offer which led us here. The chicken was really good. It was clean.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank SEGDS
Thank you for visiting our restaurant.
NYC
“Better than expected”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Had dinner there in dec 2013 and it was GREAT! Have been going to this restaurant for over 25 yrs ! The only thing was the desserts used to be better ! They really need to remove the shoe fly pie option since not too many people enjoy that and get rid of small cheesecake sampler portion as well........c'mon guys, know you can do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank SIRydell
Glen L, Owner at Good 'N Plenty Restaurant, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thanks for your review - we appreciate the comments and are actually in the process of redoing our dessert menu. We are adding some delicious new items and look forward to serving you again!!