“Great location for actually meeting the Amish”

Mill Stream Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Smoketown B&B and Inns
Baltimore, MD
“Great location for actually meeting the Amish”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We only booked the Mill Stream because our first choice had no vacancies. What a blessing in disguise! We'd certainly return. First, it was a relatively simple route from Baltimore. Then, we found ourselves in an immaculately kept, quiet place between busy streets and quiet farmland. The property is very modest (small room, no coffee maker) but well kept, on a lovely treed stream, on a street mixed with agricultural interests, residences, and other small hotels. Best of all, we actually encountered the Amish, either sharing the road with buggy drivers and robust, well maintained horses or occasional Amish walkers. Amish folks owned or worked where we stayed and shopped. The property offered a 2-hour, complimentary bus tour that is not to be missed (the driver's compensation is gratuities) although one must drive to an affiliated hotel maybe two miles away to take the tour. Other tours and museums were in town. Good Amish food (Good N Plenty) was right next door - or one could drive a few minutes for more of the same. If not Amish food, then pizza, Olive Garden and others were within a 10-minute drive, no more. But you will need your car. Complimentary continental breakfast was good and featured locally made yogurt, etc. There is a pool. Good location for the quiet pursuit of history and light intercultural exchange.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Pamela T

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Kahnawake, Quebec
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We'll be going to Mill Stream at the end of July. We've been going there for the past 5 years. Last year we booked online & Mill Stream was full so we booked at another place not so great. We went to visit Mill Stream & they HAD rooms available (online mix-up??) , so we checked out of our hotel & went "home" to Mill Stream! Yes, it's like a home away from home! Everyone is friendly & helpful. Justin helped us out at reception & Sarah in the dining room is always ready to answer our questions. Breakfast is good for us - just what we'd usually have at home - nothing extravegant. The rooms are very clean. The maids/ "girls" are friendly & very efficient. If you need anything, they'll get it for you (or tell you where to find it). We spent alot of time by the pool - talking & making friends with other guests who were just as pleased. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Choose a room at the rear - just to be able to watch the stream & the children playing! No eleva...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank FrannieAnnie
Millersville, Maryland
Reviewed June 20, 2012

My husband and I were on a mid-week 1-night get-away to the Lancaster area. After doing some research from home, we decided to make a reservation at this Inn. This was our first time staying here, and boy were we happy with our choice! We enjoyed this place very much. Of course, we can only comment on our 1 night, but our visit was a good one. The Inn is located on a small, quiet road, but still close enough to all of the happenings. The grassy grounds are very pretty, and the property appeared to be very well-kept. You can tell from the outside that it's more of an older, more quaint place, but that was just fine with us. The front desk folks that we encountered were pleasant. Our room was very nice. It was basically a typical 2-queen bed motel room, but it was clean and attractive, and in my opinion was a little more spacious than lots of motel rooms I've been in. And the room included plenty of amenities - upholstered chairs (more like what you'd find in living rooms) and nice little wood table rather than the small cheapie type of table and chairs that you see at lots of places, small frig, small microwave, hair dryer, telephone, radio/alarm clock, ironing board and iron, and a well-operating TV. Actually, my husband said that this place offered the largest array of available cable channels that he's ever seen at a hotel/motel/inn (and that's saying alot for him! LOL). Also, our room had the bathroom sink and vanity area located outside of the actual bathroom, which we really like alot (I've seen comments from people who don't like this - but we find it offers a good opportunity for one person to have privacy in the bathroom while another person uses the sink/vanity area). Our room faced the front/road, and the outside of our room had nice chairs where you could sit and relax and take in the vehicles (and buggies!) quietly going up and down the road. The hotel also offers an outdoor pool (and they also provide pool towels!) - the pool is a little small, and folks with kids should note that there's no "shallow" end (the lowest entry point is 3 feet), but we visited the pool area for about an hour in the evening and it was very enjoyable. The Inn also offers a "deluxe continental breakfast" each morning, and this turned out to be more extensive than we were expecting. In addition to the usual cereal, breakfast breads, and fruit, they also had belgian waffles, homemade biscuits and sausage gravy, locally-made yogurt, and hard-boiled eggs. Ttheir breads seemed to be more of the "home made" type. And at breakfast they also offered cookies made fresh on the premises each morning. We were pleasantly surprised at all of the breakfast offerings, and we enjoyed everything that we tried. Also, complimentary coffee and hot tea are available all day long in the lobby (until the lobby closes, which I think it around 9pm). And, of course, you get to top all of this off with the 2-hour bus tour that's included with your stay (which we enjoyed very much, as well). All-in-all, it's a really nice place which offers a nice variety of amenities and extras. We enjoyed it alot, and would highly recommend it to others.

Room Tip: On the website it offered a choice of a front room or a back room - the front rooms face out onto th...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank travlbug2
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Although the hotel is older and not as fancy as others in the area the setting and view were fantastic. We arrived an hour before dusk and my kids ran around on the enormous grass area along the stream catching fireflys as darkness came. From the balcony I watched my California kids enjoy this new experience and I watched an Amish couple next door as they cut their field of hay. The next day we enjoyed the Amish tour that came with our hotel stay. We had to wait until the afternoon for our tour because the earlier tours were full. I wished I had known to call and reserve spots ahead of our check-in for a morning tour.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank mamafranz
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 3, 2012

This hotel has been around forever and it has some good as well as not so good points. The location is nice, on a quiet road, about a mile from US 30, the main road in that area. The staff is friendly, the rooms are small but reasonably comfortable. Those are the good points. Now for the not so good:
The rooms are small and old, the beds are old and worn, the bathroom is small and the wash area is outside the bathroom actually adjacent to the living area/bedroom. The TV is outdated and small I guess the owner never heard of HDTV. The towels are horrid and the worse we can recall using in any hotel, ever and we travel a lot. I guess there are more concerned about guests stealing their towels but if someone stole one of their towels and maybe used it to dry their car, guaranteed it would scratch the paint. The included breakfast is sub standard but acceptable. We've stayed at this hotel many times over the past 30 years and will continue to stay there when we can't get a reservation at our first three choices. We do enjoy the quiet, bring our own towels and have breakfast nearby and like I said this place does have its good points. If the owners read this review I would like to make a suggestion: Either lower your rates or improve your room amenities.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same except for 2 suites.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jack F
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed May 8, 2012

My husband and I spent our 49th Wedding Anniversary at the Mill Stream Country Inn on May 3-6, 2012 and it was just great. We were on the back side facing the stream and it was absolutely beautiful. The room was clean and nice and the people at the front desk were very friendly. The free continental breakfast was delicious and there was a wide variety of things to choose from. Included in our stay at no charge was a two hour bus tour of the Amish farmland with stops at three shops along the way. That in itself was excellent. I would recommend the Mill Stream Country Inn to anyone looking for a place to stay in Lancaster County.

Room Tip: The back side of the Motel offers a view of the stream and an Amish farm. Very serene and beautiful...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gveades
Lake George Ny
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I have found a new favorite motel in Lancaster county Pa, I almost hate to give away the name of this great place, it is The Mill Stream Inn in Smoketown, Pa.What a great place! My two boys and I stayed there during Easter break and I can't say enough wonderful things about this place.We arrived on Saturday and were planning on staying 5 nites but loved it so much we decided to stay an extra nite. We have stayed at the Bird In Hand Family run motels and Inns before but never at this property. Our room the 1st 4 nites had 2 Queen beds, mini fridge, and wonderful continential breakfast every morning, including delicious waffles, the last nite we had to move due to 2 tour buses coming in, so we moved to a family suite, which consists of 2 queen beds , bathroom, tv, chair in one room and the other room has a pullout futon, mini fridge microwave, table and chairs, dvd player and two comfy sitting chairs, and a door leading to outside balconey. I recommend the back side of the motel, there is a very lovely stream and amish farmhouse. You also have full use of the Bird In Hand Family Inn indoor pool and hot tub, although Mill Stream does have outdoor pool it wasn't open at this time, I plan on going again in the summer to make use of that pool.. I cannot say enough about the staff from the front desk personnel to the cleaning staff, and the wonderful Amish woman who owns the farm out back who works the breakfast room in the morning and makes great waffles....As I said this is my new favorite place!

Room Tip: I recommend the back of the motel because of the view of the stream and Amish Farm, but the front is...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank momszoo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Smoketown
Bird-In-Hand Family Inn
AmishView Inn & Suites
AmishView Inn & Suites
#1 of 3 in Bird in Hand
Eden Resort and Suites, BW Premier Collection

Been to Mill Stream Country Inn? Share your experiences!