“casual elegance. just lovely. beautiful scenery, great food, wonderful!!”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Skytop is an amazing place. the scenery is magnificent. the food is very good. the staff is great also. plenty for all to do. felt very safe, comfortable. wish we could've stayed longer!
can't wait to go back. both of my children said it was their favorite place to go and can't wait to return! Sled dog excursion was so much fun.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank tierney1962

Reviewed October 10, 2010

My husband and I went to Skytop the second weekend in October to celebrate his birthday. The fall colors were coming out and the weather was clear and beautiful so the grounds of Skytop were stunning. The main lodge common areas are gorgeous, stately and elegant and very well maintained. I can only imagine how beautiful it is during the holidays.

We stayed in the cottages so our room and bathroom were spacious plus we had a patio so we could sit outdoors. It was also nice because we were able to park right in front of the cottage. The cottage was close enough to the main lodge so walking to meals, the fitness center and the pub was quick. They were also very quiet and private and nice to be able to open the windows to allow the fresh air to come in. The room itself was a bit worn. The carpet was stained and loose in places. The bed was comfortable but nothing like what I've gotten used to at Hiltons. Our room was a "king" but it was really two twins pushed together so you found yourself rolling into the crack if you weren't careful. The bathroom was functional but not luxurious.

The food was okay but nothing memorable or inventive (this goes for the food at the main lodge and the Lakeview Lodge where we had dinner one evening). Having three meals included in the room rate was nice. But when the "wine sommelier" came to "assist" us with our wine choice and place our wine order, sadly, we knew more about the wines than he did. We asked for his suggestions between two of the reds and his response was, "I don't know. I think they're all good but I like white wine so I can't really tell you." And so that was the theme with the bartenders and the servers when we asked for recommendations. So we didn't bother asking after day #2.

A 15% gratuity is automatically added to everything. Despite that, we found that most of the staff tried to be helpful but either weren't knowledgeable enough to assist us or they were too overwhelmed to help us (it seemed the place was extremely short-staffed throughout the weekend).

The "organized activities" were very disorganized. We originally signed up for activities online through the "Pre-arrival Concierge" online only to find when we arrived that the online forms were only for information requests though we never did receive any information after submitting the online forms. So we weren't able to do the skeet shooting because they were booked and our online forms never made it to the shooting center (the online forms "are confusing and they really need to be changed because this happens alot" according to a hotel employee). Then we talked to a girl at the information desk and she couldn't help us with any of our four activity requests but pointed to a phone and rattled off four different extension numbers (I guess we were supposed to memorize them because she certainly offered nothing for us to write them down on).

We did take a beautful hike on the nicely maintained lake trail around the lake and attended a lunch cookout/picnic which was also included in the package. All of the trails were well maintained and well marked. While we didn't use it, the indoor pool was bustling with activity (mostly kids) but looked nice. The workout room was pretty good. The spa was also nice and we had a very enjoyable, relaxing couples massage. At night it was so quiet and so clear the stars were amazing. And walking the grounds at night we were amazed at how many deer there were and how close they allowed us to get to them as we walked by!

There were lots of families there on vacation - it is a great place for family vacations because of all the activities. The Skytop had a published policy about making sure kids remain quiet and well-behaved in public. Unfortunately that policy didn't seem to be adhered to by most families. In the main dining room (which is divided into two sections), it would be far more enjoyable if they designated one section to diners without kids because most meals were chaotic and loud as a result of all the kids. For those of us without kids, it really put a damper on the experience.

But despite the downfalls outlined above, the Skytop Lodge is very unique. It's wonderful to be surrounded by such beauty and have everything within walking distance. With all the activities available you're never at a loss for something to do. We are going to try to make the next trip during the winter when there is snow on the ground. The skiing, dog sled rides, ice skating, and tobogganing sound like a great way to spend a long weekend. And it is like being stuck in a time warp (in a good way!).

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank eplwv69
Reviewed October 9, 2010

we went to skytop lodge through my college which is city college of new york .It took us like two hour to reach the resort . i was amazed by the beauty of the landscape. they have a small lake and river which is very beautiful. they also have a separate lodge for burning fire. there are two beds each rooms standard very comfortable . they have a bar, a gift shop and we were in the swimming pool most of the time. oh yeah we even saw deer and it was so beautiful.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nexogon
Reviewed October 8, 2010

We stayed at Skytop in mid April with friends. A old fashioned, no kids, romantic weekend for 40 somethings who love the outdoors and just wanted to reconnect. It was complete with massages, hiking on local trails, elegant multi course dinners, and evening ballroom dancing lessons with a 'big band' orchestra. The hotel itself is beautiful, and is immaculate, and the grounds are lovely. The indoor pool nice and clean. Our only complaint was the heating system, we roasted until we opened the windows and requested a fan..We stayed in the cabins- which were spacious, had an outside sitting area and even had a fridge. Apparently many areas have the same problem as it is related to the ' heat system'. Overall a great stay and relaxing weekend. We will be going back with the kids as there are a lot of activities run daily....

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cfpt
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We stayed here the first weekend in October. The grounds are beautiful. We went with the intention of wanting to start a tradition with our new family of a fall escape near our home in NYC. Skytop, unfortunately, will not be it.

FOOD: The deal with the room rates is that your meals are included. The meals are terrible. I mean, some of the dishes were barely edible. There is huge and massive quantities served in a beautiful setting - much like on a cruise ship, I would presume -- but the quality of food is awful. The service, because there is no tipping, is not indifferent but certainly not experienced. It's like eating at a communist-state restaurant, no motivation to make sure your dishes arrive hot or that you are not ignored. That said, some of the staff do their best.

ACTIVITIES: disorganized and much of the equipment was shoddy. The tennis courts were clay and the tennis pro seemed very knowledgeable. The shooting and boating house had some nice people running it.

ROOMS: This is where I take major exception. The rooms were like a Motel 6. Icky carpeting, bad beds (king bed was two twins pushed together!), crappy sheets and pillow cases. Awful bathroom. Did not match the grandeur of the exterior Lodge.

We met people who had been going to Skytop since the 1940s. Yes! Amazing. But it seems stuck in the 1940s, as if they never heard about new ways to prepare food or that you can have a hotel bathroom that is cheap.

Price wise we spent $1000 for two nights for two adults (child was free). Included some wine, gratuities and the resort fee. The place was completely dead on Sunday nights -- maybe five to 10 couples at the entire resort. We will not be going back, though if they upgraded their food offerings and their service and their rooms, we would be back.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank neptuno3
Reviewed October 5, 2010

My daughter recently got married and celebrated her wedding with a reception at Skytop Lodge. From the beginning the service they received was subpar. There were supposed to be rooms set aside for the guests in the main lodge. We ended up in the cabins. I understand we had been bumped from the lodge to the cabins by a convention. When we arrived at the lodge the attitude of the staff was less than professional. The hallway of the cabin I stayed in had dirty dishes on a table right inside the door. The carpets were filthy throughout. One of the other guests rooms had dirty wet towels in the bathroom. Another had no heat. My 91 year old father had reserved a room with my brother and when they arrived at noon they had to wait till three in the afternoon to get in their room. The wedding was at 4 pm. They missed the first half. The hotel staff was as I said very unprofessional. They kept telling my father they were getting his room ready. Three hours? My son called for room service. There was none, though they advertise room service. We had guests from Germany. The groom is German. I did not have time to speak to them about what they may have experienced but suffice it to say I and many others were less than pleased with the overall experience. Would not come back. I doubt this review will appear on this site but I needed to write it. I was terribly disappointed for my daughter. She worked with this lodge for quite a while to make this a memorable experience. It was, but no thanks to this lodge. I heard many complaints and I would not recommend this resort. You need to reevaluate your service.

• Stayed: October 2010
3  Thank displeasedYorkPa
EMayotte, Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2010

Dear Very Disappointed,

Thank you for commenting on your daughter's wedding. I am delighted that the Bride and Groom of this wedding had a wonderful experience and were so happy with their special day. In fact, their glowing account of their wedding is being used in our promotional material. In relation to your father's accommodations, I realize that he arrived on Saturday at 9:00 A.M. Because only a small percentage of our rooms were checking out that day we were unable to immediately room him and his guest. As out posted check-in time is 4:00 P.M. we made every effort to room him as soon as possible. We certainly want to ensure that every guest experience at Skytop far exceeds expectations. I am sorry that was not realized in your case.

Hopefully we will have an opportunity to have you as our guest at a future date. Please give me a call. I would be happy to have you experience Skytop as it should be.

Reviewed October 3, 2010

I've been to Skytop a million times and I just love it. Really its very quirky so you have to realize that but it has a good balance of old school and current ammenities. I like how the staff seems happy to help, and they know who you are without KNOWING WHO YOU ARE...meaning they kind of keep track of you enough for you to feel cared for, but not annoyingly so much that you feel invaded and stalked. I dont know its hard to explain.
The place itself has an old stately feel to it and you must dress up for the traditional things like dinner and when in the main building. Yes it has a sort of preppy feel, the "old money" feel but I like that you have to show some respect, I have been there with my kids and they wear nice clothes and the have to behave, napkin on lap, sit up straight, say please and thank you, walk not run...etc and I like that! My husband and I also came here on our honeymoon and let me tell you it was very romantic. The rooms down by the creek are nice and private and you feel very far away, in a good way! lol. Ive also stayed up in "The Big House" (Main lodge) but the doors seem thin and you can hear people in the halls. Its part of the charm in some ways as usually its happy people coming from weddings etc so I never got annoyed. The people are generally pretty polite and classy. There is alot to do there the lake walk is really nice, picnic hayride is nice, golf, lawn bowling, archery, ping pong, mini golf, ice cream shop, afternoon tea, yoga classes, nature walks, a nice basic spa with good massages, good food and every meal is included, they have paintball and rock wall (extra $) the pools are nice (older but still nice) Overall its a neat different type of place that has kept its old school charm.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!