“A nice stay, if you don't mind the price”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Reviewed July 30, 2007

My wife and I recently stayed at Skytop Sat - Tues. I booked our room kind of late (2 weeks) through the Skytop website. The website only showed rooms available for Sun - Tues. I wanted a King room and online availability was for the Golf Inn. I booked the room even though the price seemed VERY high ($690 a night with American plan).

My e-mail confirmation told me we had received a 'free' upgrade to a stream cottage room.

For the next several days I attempted to call Skytop to see if I could arrive on Saturday. I was never able to reach a person at their reservation line even though I called different times of day over several days. The operator who directed my call warned me that I would probably not get a person on the line. Not a very good way to run a reservation desk if you ask me. Maybe OK for a $100 a night Holiday Inn, but not for $690 a night.

I got a call back after a couple of days and spoke with a woman about our reservation. She told me that our room was not available on Saturday, but that we could stay at the main Lodge on Saturday and then move to the cottage on Sunday. She also told me we could have the Lodge room for $425. I also asked about the Family Fun package, we would be golfing once and wanted to go shooting once. The package would cost us more than just paying for the golf ($150) and shooting ($100) so I skipped the package.

We arrived on Saturday about 2PM and our room was ready. The room in the Lodge was quite small. A single queen sized bed, a bath with just a shower stall (too small for a tub).

The next day we moved to the stream cottage and it was a vast improvement. This room was extremely nice, obviously a recent addition to the resort. We got a huge room with king size bed. A bath with a enormous tub ( my wifed loved it). A surround sound system with TV, VCR and DVD. And a gas fired fireplace. A porch with cushioned rockers, looking over the golf course. If you have the money, this is the room to stay in.

We enjoyed the meals at Skytop. The staff was friendly and helpful. All the food was good, the only exception was the Grouper fillet I had on the first evening. The fish was too salty and overcooked. I avoided fish after that and was very satisfied. At dinner you get an appetizer, soup, salad, entree, and dessert. Entree seelctions usually included a choice of fish, beef, chicken, other meat (like venison), and a vegetarian pasta. I had roast sirloin and a breast of chicken that were quite good.

For breakfast we kept to the buffet. Standard buffet fare with an omelet station. Plenty of fresh fruit.

We also had a light lunch at the buffet. The last day we golfed and grabbed food at the golf deli which was also on the meal plan. Got a couple hotdogs, chips, cookies and drink. Actually wish I had found this out earlier since I liked the lunch here.

We also enjoyed grabbing a lemonade and cookie at the afternoon tea service every day at 4PM.

An activities guide is printed for the week that lists any special activities. Each day has some kind of excersize class, a nature hike, maybe a kayaking class, and an evening music group, usually with dancing.

We went on a short nature hike with the resort's nature guy, John. John was very friendly and knowledgable about the local wildlife. Mostly he found frogs and salamanders on our hike.

On Monday it rained hard all day, so the scheduled events were cancelled. John did an indoor presentation on spiders, and they showed the movie 'Cars'. Overall the place ground to a halt when it rained.

Golf was very good, the course is not terribly challenging and was pretty quiet when we played. My wife loved the deer that kept roaming the course.

Shooting was great. The two guys who helped us were very patient and encouraging for a couple that never shot before.

Overall the resort was beautiful. It was not very busy while we were there, except for Saturday when they had a couple of weddings. There were a good number of children, but we still had an adult weekend. Don't be worried that this is a children's resort.

The staff was overall very good. The only place I felt pressure for a tip was at the golf course.

My only real complaint is the cost. I was asked by the staff how I felt about my stay and I mentioned the cost. His response was 'you'd pay that to go to DisneyWorld'. True, but this was no DisneyWorld.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
9  Thank CTTraveler001

Reviewed July 27, 2007

My family and I have been to this resort twice for family reunions. The first time was better than the second, We stayed in a cottage and it was amazing ! My second visit was not quite as good. I stayed in the hotel and paid a lot of money for a room that was not worth it, and the bathroom was very small. The food was not the best, although the breakfast and lunch buffets were very tasty! I loved the golf course though, and all of the wonderful activities made it worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank lime9
Reviewed July 20, 2007

I agree that the location is beautiful and perhaps the reason the resort can begin to feel that $450++ dollars per night is warranted. HOwever, for the lodging this hotel is not a 5 * rating. I am thinking that perhaps we were given a poor room since our experience is nothing like what others are stating.

We stayed in the INN. Big mistake. The room was the SMALLEST hotel room we have ever stayed in. When we booked, the reservation operator assured us it would be 'spacious' for our family. The room was attractive but very WORN. The bathroom was in need of major repairs. The tile was dirty, the toilet unlevel and shaky and the tub/shower was broken where the faucet did not work correctly.

The bed linens were scant and worse then staying in a 1 * hotel. We had NO mattress cover with a small and ripped sheet.

Meals are included here. We ate dinner in the inn and the food was suboptimal. I believe they cook in bulk and let the food sit. VERY poor for the money we paid for our stay.

I have to say, I am terribly dissappointed and expected SO MUCH MORE.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank smgcan
Reviewed July 8, 2007

Just returned from an outstanding 40 person family reunion and wanted to give some tips for anyone planning the same. The lodge is historically elegant and a perfect place for staying (versus the golf inn and cabins) because we could always find someone in our group relaxing in the Pine Lobby or sitting out on the veranda on a rocking chair. The activities desk is on the lower level so we could easily book times for, archery, paddle etc. They have a wonderful map that gives you a lay of the land so you don't have to waste time wandering around in awe of all there is to offer. Lake swimming is behind the golf inn, canoeing, kayaking and rowboating is on the lake as you drive in. We had family dining together and were able to book hayrides to a lake lunch and evening bonfire as well as have and private dining in the Library ( we were also able to enjoy big band dancing in the Pine Lobby after private dinner). We scheduled all our golf and skeeting shooting times a couple months in advance, which is terrific given the number in our group. We had a ball skeet shooting, the instructors were terrific as everyone one of us old and young hit a clay!! The website is loaded with activities that are all inclusive with a reunion. Mountain biking to Indian Ladder Falls is a must as is a beautiful hike around the lake. The golf course was in great condition and everyone was very accommodating. We have been to Skytop 5 times now during all seasons and have never been dissapointed as the staff aims to please. The rooms vary in size but the beds were extremely comfortable and most views outstanding. Skytop summers take you back in time where everything is peaceful and lovely. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank climbeverymountain
Reviewed June 14, 2007

We booked a 5-day vacation at Skytop last summer.

The place is breathtaking -- you really know you're on vacation when you get there. Service is terrific.

We stayed at the Inn and enjoyed it. The short walk between the Inn and Lodge is lovely -- if going over for a meal, it's the perfect way to build up an appetite and to wind down from the meal thereafter. The Inn's own restaurant is also great -- more of a sleek, modern resort restaurant feel than the Lodge's dining room, which is a bit hectic.

The summer facilities and recreational options are tremendous. We enrolled our son in the day camp and he had a terrific time.

The staff was also very helpful and flexible when we needed to check out early.

Stayed: August 2006
6  Thank vacationer71
Reviewed June 10, 2007

My immediate family and extended family (mother, four brothers, their wives and children) have been visiting Skytop yearly for four or five years every winter for family reunions. This is really a great location for a family reunion with lots to do for adults and children. We stay in the cottages where we have adjoining rooms and let the kids play without disturbing other guests. The main hotel is very impressive, old but well kept up. We have not stayed in the main hotel. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. The meals are fun for a large group. We sit together and have the same waiters for the entire stay. They get to know the preferences of the kids and do a great job keeping them fed. After they finish eating (5 minutes or less) they disappear downstairs to the playroom area with golf, shuffleboard, ping pong etc. leaving the parents in peace.
The outdoor activities are the highlight with a great beginner's ski mountain for the kids, hiking trails, snow shoeing, skeet and many other activities. I highly recommend for a family gathering.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank DEfamilyman
Reviewed April 27, 2007

This resort is beautiful. We loved the historic lodge and grounds. Lot of activities but also a great place to relax. We enjoyed the spa treatments and all meals were excellent. Also, the lodge has a really nice bar with a vast selection of wine, beer, and single malt scotchs. This is a great resort for couples and for families. We look forward to going back in the Fall or Summer when the trees and flowers are in bloom or the leaves turn. Also, enjoyed the dinner at the Inn.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
8  Thank swiftlysaid38
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!