“loved it but a few problems”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Reviewed July 27, 2007

My family and I have been to this resort twice for family reunions. The first time was better than the second, We stayed in a cottage and it was amazing ! My second visit was not quite as good. I stayed in the hotel and paid a lot of money for a room that was not worth it, and the bathroom was very small. The food was not the best, although the breakfast and lunch buffets were very tasty! I loved the golf course though, and all of the wonderful activities made it worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2007
4  Thank lime9
Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed July 20, 2007

I agree that the location is beautiful and perhaps the reason the resort can begin to feel that $450++ dollars per night is warranted. HOwever, for the lodging this hotel is not a 5 * rating. I am thinking that perhaps we were given a poor room since our experience is nothing like what others are stating.

We stayed in the INN. Big mistake. The room was the SMALLEST hotel room we have ever stayed in. When we booked, the reservation operator assured us it would be 'spacious' for our family. The room was attractive but very WORN. The bathroom was in need of major repairs. The tile was dirty, the toilet unlevel and shaky and the tub/shower was broken where the faucet did not work correctly.

The bed linens were scant and worse then staying in a 1 * hotel. We had NO mattress cover with a small and ripped sheet.

Meals are included here. We ate dinner in the inn and the food was suboptimal. I believe they cook in bulk and let the food sit. VERY poor for the money we paid for our stay.

I have to say, I am terribly dissappointed and expected SO MUCH MORE.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank smgcan
Reviewed July 8, 2007

Just returned from an outstanding 40 person family reunion and wanted to give some tips for anyone planning the same. The lodge is historically elegant and a perfect place for staying (versus the golf inn and cabins) because we could always find someone in our group relaxing in the Pine Lobby or sitting out on the veranda on a rocking chair. The activities desk is on the lower level so we could easily book times for, archery, paddle etc. They have a wonderful map that gives you a lay of the land so you don't have to waste time wandering around in awe of all there is to offer. Lake swimming is behind the golf inn, canoeing, kayaking and rowboating is on the lake as you drive in. We had family dining together and were able to book hayrides to a lake lunch and evening bonfire as well as have and private dining in the Library ( we were also able to enjoy big band dancing in the Pine Lobby after private dinner). We scheduled all our golf and skeeting shooting times a couple months in advance, which is terrific given the number in our group. We had a ball skeet shooting, the instructors were terrific as everyone one of us old and young hit a clay!! The website is loaded with activities that are all inclusive with a reunion. Mountain biking to Indian Ladder Falls is a must as is a beautiful hike around the lake. The golf course was in great condition and everyone was very accommodating. We have been to Skytop 5 times now during all seasons and have never been dissapointed as the staff aims to please. The rooms vary in size but the beds were extremely comfortable and most views outstanding. Skytop summers take you back in time where everything is peaceful and lovely. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
7  Thank climbeverymountain
Reviewed June 14, 2007

We booked a 5-day vacation at Skytop last summer.

The place is breathtaking -- you really know you're on vacation when you get there. Service is terrific.

We stayed at the Inn and enjoyed it. The short walk between the Inn and Lodge is lovely -- if going over for a meal, it's the perfect way to build up an appetite and to wind down from the meal thereafter. The Inn's own restaurant is also great -- more of a sleek, modern resort restaurant feel than the Lodge's dining room, which is a bit hectic.

The summer facilities and recreational options are tremendous. We enrolled our son in the day camp and he had a terrific time.

The staff was also very helpful and flexible when we needed to check out early.

Stayed: August 2006
6  Thank vacationer71
Reviewed June 10, 2007

My immediate family and extended family (mother, four brothers, their wives and children) have been visiting Skytop yearly for four or five years every winter for family reunions. This is really a great location for a family reunion with lots to do for adults and children. We stay in the cottages where we have adjoining rooms and let the kids play without disturbing other guests. The main hotel is very impressive, old but well kept up. We have not stayed in the main hotel. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. The meals are fun for a large group. We sit together and have the same waiters for the entire stay. They get to know the preferences of the kids and do a great job keeping them fed. After they finish eating (5 minutes or less) they disappear downstairs to the playroom area with golf, shuffleboard, ping pong etc. leaving the parents in peace.
The outdoor activities are the highlight with a great beginner's ski mountain for the kids, hiking trails, snow shoeing, skeet and many other activities. I highly recommend for a family gathering.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank DEfamilyman
Reviewed April 27, 2007

This resort is beautiful. We loved the historic lodge and grounds. Lot of activities but also a great place to relax. We enjoyed the spa treatments and all meals were excellent. Also, the lodge has a really nice bar with a vast selection of wine, beer, and single malt scotchs. This is a great resort for couples and for families. We look forward to going back in the Fall or Summer when the trees and flowers are in bloom or the leaves turn. Also, enjoyed the dinner at the Inn.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
8  Thank swiftlysaid38
Reviewed April 1, 2007

First went to Skytop during September of 2006. My fiance proposed and we decided to return to Skytop for our wedding. Most recently, mom and I visited for their wedding planning weekend.

First, the service is always great. People never held their hands out to either my mother or myself. Because everyone was so nice, we chose to give the bellman an extra $2 (nothing special, but he was very nice and waited for us to check in which we thought warranted an extra $2).

Dining Room was wonderful. Service was spectacular, wine steward was great, and food was delicious.

They were having a country weekend - everyone was wearing cowboy hats. It was so much fun. If you have children and want to enjoy the quality time with them like olden days, this is the resort for you. After dinner, the main hall has a live band. Kids and Adults were dancing, families were gathering together. It was really wonderful. My fiance and I can't wait to return when we have children.

Decor - this is an old building. Don't expect perfection from a building that had plumbing installed after the fact. However, I loved the decor! In my opinion, it is beautiful because of all the wood paneling.

Rooms - every room is different. Having stayed twice, I received a nice clean room with a reasonable amount of space both times. First stay, my fiance and I booked the Inn Suite - which was very spacious. Second stay, my mom and I booked a room with two twin beds. This second room was definitely smaller, however, it too had plenty of space for two people. The bathroom was very clean. Shower pressue wasn't very good - but that is my only complaint.

If you are visiting during the spring, summer, or fall, the hiking trials are incredibly well kept and beautiful. There were some problems around the lake with mud puddles, etc - but no one can entirely control mother nature. The falls were beautiful and well worth the hike!!!

As for the golf course, my fiance was quite pleased. He took a lesson and felt that the pro was a good teacher and provided good tips. While I rode in the golf cart with my fiance, we came upon several deer and turkeys. One deer was about ten feet from the golf cart. It was very cool to see nature so up close and personal!!!

Enjoy your visit!!!!

Overall, I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
9  Thank legalprincess
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
The Lodge at Woodloch

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!