“Fabulous location and gardens but the hotel has so many guests they are finding it hard to keep up with good service.”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Fabulous gardens but no signs along they way so you might get lost. Very hard to get thru to reservations. The reception desk was packed with only two very polite people running the desk. The rooms were nicely decorated but very small so we switched to a little suite. Nicely decorated but the carpet had holes in it. The dresser had water marks on it. The bed was very comfortable. Despite some flaws with the room we liked it and could see a little of the lake from our room. The gardeners deserve a medal. If I only visited just for the gardens it was worth it. Delighted to see this gem made it through the recession.
The dinner left alot to be desired. We had to pick from a set menu so with the speed that our food came out with we knew it was precooked in mass quantities. I had a little garden salad to start with, I think they got a head of lettuce and chopped it in half, something was drizzled on it. We had the steaks and garlic potatoes. The food was not great. Overall we will go back because of it's ambience. Ladies be careful about the toilet in the lobby. Not secure. Beautiful place but the lodge needs some loving care. Indoor/outdoor pool great sfaff. Great activities for families. Very impressive buildings.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Margaret M
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Dear Margaret M,

Thank you for providing such thoughtful feedback. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit, and I shared your kind comments with our grounds crew, pool attendants and entire team today.

Please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered with reservations and food and beverage. As I mentioned in a previous response, we have streamlined our reservations process to ensure that calls are answered and returned promptly. While all meals in our dining room are prepared to order, I regret that you were unhappy with your meal. I have addressed the issues you mentioned with our culinary team to ensure that Skytop’s level of quality is met
consistently going forward.

We hope to welcome you back to Skytop and I trust that we will be able to regain your confidence.

President & General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed August 3, 2014

This is a beautiful place to get married and this is where my husband and I had our hearts set on. It ended up being a wonderful day but it was a bit painful leading up to it. Our only real saving grace was our latest wedding coordinator, Nickole Fish. She was amazing! There were problems that occurred throughout our whole planning period leading up to the wedding, but when we got Nickole as our wedding coordinator, things changed for the BETTER for us! As problems arose, Nickole took care of them immediately! She was truly wonderful! I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to work with her because she was so easy to get in touch with, she was super nice, and extremely helpful with all of the questions and concerns that I had leading up to our wedding day!

Besides Nickole, Lynda Mazzola was very helpful when it came to getting our room reservations fixed and the day of the wedding she was a huge help with the setting up and getting everything ready! I loved the servers in both the Tap Room and the Tea Room! The grounds are breathtaking there, there truly is no other place like it!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MeganRG

Dear MeganRG,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Please accept our congratulations and thank you for choosing Skytop for such a special event. I am glad that overall your wedding experience at Skytop met and exceeded your expectations.

Please accept my sincere apologies for difficulties you experienced during the planning process. I am pleased that Nickole and Lynda were able to remedy the situation by providing caring, exceptional service. I shared your kind remarks with our entire team and they are pleased that you enjoyed your event.

I look forward to meeting you on a future visit.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

When I called Sky Top I told them how much less it was on the internet reservation service. I was told for the $400+ per night included all. But when I arrived I was told it is ala carte. I questioned and was told they would get back to me and did not! I emailed you 3 times prior to this and have been ignored. Due to your opinion request, this is the 4th contact. Let me tell you sir, ignore all you want if that is your policy. But I am about to embark on a campaign on every hotel complaint site I can locate,

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
11  Thank Dr. Joel S

Dear Dr. Joel S,

Please accept my apologies for the lack of response from my team. Please contact my office at (570) 595-8909 so that we may resolve this situation. My assistant has been able to locate your reservation information so that we may assist you in a timely manner.

I trust that we will regain your confidence in Skytop.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

We have visited Skytop every summer for the last six years in a row, and in the last two years Skytop has improved in its service, facilities, and grounds. Skytop is the perfect place to come for a family getaway or reunion. Skytop has something for everyone: golf, swimming (pool and lake), hiking, fishing, shooting, adventure course, etc. I could go on and on about the multitude of possibilities for kids and grownups. The Lodge produces a flyer called "Skylites" that lists the weekly offerings (most of them included--no extra charge--in your visit) available on site, from hay rides to nature hikes to bubble play for the kids. It is an old school kind of place, so don't come expecting Danish modern furniture, flat screen TVs, and tiny plates of food. If you ask me those places are just another cookie cutter approach to hospitality. And who wants to watch TV on vacation? Skytop has history AND heart and takes you back to classic East Coast-style summer vacationing. I invite you to go have a cocktail on the lodge's South Porch at sunset and tell me I'm wrong. Absolutely gorgeous and totally romantic, so Skytop is a great place for couples too.

Of particular note in our enjoyment of Skytop is the top-notch tennis pro, a great guy named Mo. Mo is an enthusiastic and skilled tennis instructor. He and his team have revitalized tennis at Skytop in the last two years and it just keeps getting better. They provide fantastic clinics and instruction for both adults and children. They even have a grass court! We had a great time playing some games, working on our technique, and getting some instruction for the kids. We played tennis every day of our visit and were not disappointed.

I highly recommend Skytop. Skytop is THE place to go in the Poconos for family fun or a old-school romantic getaway.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear Anonymous2190,

Thank you for the kind words and thoughtful feedback. Skytop is fortunate to have a dedicated team of employees who are committed to providing our guests with excellent service and memorable experiences. I agree that Mo is a “top notch” member of our team. He has revitalized Skytop’s tennis program and consistently provides first rate instruction to our guests.

I sincerely appreciate your loyalty to Skytop and look forward to meeting you on a future visit.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

My brother and I met at Skytop for a weekend of tennis. There was lots of court availability. We took several lessons from a great pro and shared a room. The food was very good, though not outstanding. The room was comfortable but could use updating. The scenery, service and overall experience was great. Overall, a lot for the money. We will be back next year.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear Michael S,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that overall you had an enjoyable stay. We continue to develop Skytop’s tennis program, and trust that you will find expanded offerings on your return visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

Booked a "bed & breakfast" cottage for 3 people (4 nights). A little cramped in the cottage. Very expensive. Dining options were very expensive (such as $24 hamburger). Everything costs extra. Adventure Center has a variety of activities - took advantage of several - but they're expensive too. Paintball was disappointing but UTVs are awesome.

Room Tip: Cottages have a queen bed and a pull out couch in each unit - connected to 3 other units by a hallwa...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Chaperone2013

Dear Chaperone2013,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay.

We offer several package and price options, such as the Full American Plan which includes all meals, our Bed and Breakfast option as well as our Family Fun or Stay and Play packages, which include additional activities and/or golf. Many of Skytop’s activities are free of charge as part of your stay and each package provides a great value.

Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Skytop is a hotel from the 20's that looks like the set piece from the shinning. Beautiful large open lobby. It does not smell of mold or is it musty, At least not the weekend we were there (sunny days). The rooms are fine to sleep in but I can't say I would want to spend a day in one. (Do people do that? ) Of course why are you in the room as the grounds of skytop are beautiful. Take a walk read a book disconnect from the rat race. The rules of the dinning room are posted and it was nice to avoid the sound of iPads at dinner, let alone our own habit to check the phones too often. Look it's a throw back experience but where else can you skeet shoot on a 5400 acre resort? ( very cool btw if you have never done it the staff was totally helpful) food was good enough it's not going to get a Michelin star but you are in the poconos not NYC. We liked it and would come back with the kids, nice place to take in the view and relax. Yes The TVs are tubes that seems like an easy fix get some flat screens plus they can toss the amoires that fill up the room that said I didn't turn it on anyway... Our iPad has netflix.

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank DrBob5

Dear DrBob5,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Skytop provides the unique opportunity to escape from the hectic, busy lives many of us lead. We offer our guests a beautiful 5,500-acre estate with an expansive list of activities to choose from each day. Skytop’s goal is to provide our guests with exceptional service and memorable experiences in a historic, elegant setting.

Again, thank you for your feedback and appreciation for Skytop’s unique charm. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

President & General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
The Lodge at Woodloch

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!