“"Great Gatsby! A Roaring Great Experience"”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Time travel really is possible at Skytop Lodge. After crossing over a beautiful lake bridge, my husband and I were transported back in time as the sight of this magnificent structure came into view. In this beautiful mountain setting, we were immediately treated to quick and efficient service from the friendly front hotel staff. Walking into Skytop is like walking into the Roaring 20's. The hotel lobby is absolutely breathtaking with its vintage furniture, massive fireplaces, original wood decor and grand piano; all just waiting for Jay Gatsby and Daisy to enjoy. Our room was clean and spacious with a big closet, full length mirror (great for dressing for dinner) and a newly renovated clean bathroom. The bed linens could have been a little newer, but the bed was comfortable and clean. The breakfast buffet is simply amazing. There were made-to-order omelets, Belgian waffles, pancakes, large assortments of pastries, different hot meats and juices. I was just out of shoulder surgery with my arm in a sling and the wait staff carried my plates of food for me. The wait staff in the dining room was attentive and friendly. The food in the Windsor dining room, Tap room and Tea room is first class. All the food was prepared and presented wonderfully. We had large portions offered at all of our meals. Complements to all of the chefs. We took advantage of the many activities the hotel has to offer. Of special note is that the many children who were visiting were not glued to their phones--they were playing games, both inside the lodge and outside on the beautiful grounds. We especially enjoyed the "horse racing" venue. We were in a room full of enthusiastic guests and we cheered for our "horses" as they came down the stretch. The young man who was doing the calling for the horses was fantastic We also enjoyed the outdoor pool, which has beautiful landscaping around it. Speaking of this, this resort has spectacular landscaping full of gorgeous flowers on the grounds. We enjoyed long walks around the massive grounds and the fun evening bonfire complete with toasting marshmallows on sticks. There is even an old fashioned ice cream parlor which serves up great mid-day food if you need a snack. Don't miss the original elevator, complete with call bell and sliding brass door. I can see the great Gatsby emerging from Skytop Lodge and being very pleased. As we left, the wonderful bellman helped us with everything we needed. The hospitality at this resort is wonderful and as my husband and I left, we exchanged wistful glances when we drove over the beautiful lake bridge that took us back into the present.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with either a Garden View or Lake View. The Garden view is on the back side and the...
3  Thank Mary T

Reviewed July 21, 2014

The lodge and the surrounding areas are just beautiful and sights are to die for. The rooms leave a lot to be desired. Needs an updating real bad it is still in the 60's which sometimes is not a bad thing. Small musty room with a king bed and a tv with a picture tube. No ice machine although if you want ice they will give it to you at the front desk or coffee maker which even a Super 8 has only in suites. Service was good,, front desk did not not what they were doing. Sorry not for me.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank melanie6174
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed in the cottages for a family reunion. Each cottage has 4 separate guest rooms that all have little porches or patios. They were perfect for our group...a place to gather and nicely updated rooms. The bathrooms were smallish but fine. They have adjoining rooms that are perfect for families with kids.

Several reviews have talked about the musty smell in the main lodge, and just walking down the halls you can smell it...yuck. I'm glad we didn't stay there. The main lobby is gorgeous but the other common areas are a bit tattered. The game room/arcade was FUN but needs an update. The pool is small. The lake looks fun but unfortunately because of lots of rain, bacteria levels were high and it was closed...kinda gross, and disappointing, but not uncommon for small lakes anywhere. The separate small boating lake was fun for an hour to paddle around, but "all-inclusive" it isn't...everything costs extra. That's pretty obnoxious considering the rates.

One of the best things we did WAS free...taking a walk to the beautiful Indian ladder falls. It's an easy walk on a gravel path that my 80-year-old mother-in-law could manage. The "more strenuous" hike is to just go higher up the same falls. There are activities on the lawn like volleyball and archery that some of our group did and enjoyed, and another waterfall hike that we didn't have time for. Then of course there's golf, which we don't play so I can't speak to the quality of the course, although it did seem well-maintained and wasn't crowded.

The food in the main dining room and the separate lakeside Inn was okay, but here's the weird thing...the menus were the same, every day, every meal, in both dining rooms. It got old since we were there 3 days. The service in the Inn was MUCH better than the grumpy waitresses in the lodge dining room, and the jacket thing is silly, so I'd suggest eating at the Inn. Don't do the Adventure Center picnic. It was gross.

The grounds are really beautiful and the staff (except the lodge dining room waitresses) are helpful and friendly. If you do stay, make sure to go up to the widow's walk on the roof of the lodge. It's a picturesque view of the area.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Martha 'Bo' B
Reviewed July 19, 2014

What's not to love?! Skytop offers everything imaginable to make your experience there a memorable one. The staff is wonderful and they go out of their way to make sure that your stay is the best it can be. The food is amazing and fresh at every meal- and if there's something you need and don't see it- just ask- it surfaces every time! (Gluten Free and vegetarian too). It's an amazing place to just unplug and unwind! If you you've never played tennis but have always wanted to learn- go visit Mo at the tennis center for a lesson!

Room Tip: Lakeview has a beautiful view of the sunrise over the lake!
3  Thank 12345KM
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Visited during the winter, great place for family fun. There is something for everyone, from sledding to spa. Food was good, we had the all inclusive package. The vistas are scrumptious. I've gone a few times, with varying room quality. Ask for an updated room. It's not a luxurious resort, it's more old world charm. BEST service I've had in years, they do hospitality right! I'll be back.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank kmh091309
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Skytop Lodge has something for everyone from families to a business gathering. The setting is really to behold. While the Hotel has been around for over a century the staff keeps the place in tip top shape. If you like golf their course will provide you just the challenge you want. If you're on the meal plan, watch your calories. Also, don't miss the downstairs ice cream parlor and bar. They will remind you of a time long ago.

So you can gather we had a great time at Skytop. Try it, you will too.

2  Thank readytotravel_7
Reviewed July 10, 2014

This was the first time I visited Skytop, but hopefully not my last. I read all the reviews and requested a room away from elevators and with as much space as possible. I was pleasantly surprised by our queen room. I really was skeptical before we arrived but I'm glad we went. It was just my husband and I. We went during the week and the place was so peaceful. I nice getaway with tons of things to do. We brought our own cooler and packed sodas/waters etc. We also ate there as well and the food was good. Our living social deal included a breakfast buffet which we enjoyed immensely especially the omelet station. We usually frequent hotels such as The Hilton & Hyatt, so believe me when I say, this place was not as bad as some made it out to be. It is quiet, secluded and the perfect place to get out of the city (Philly) for a few days.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor. Try to book when they have a special because normal rates are pretty high. As...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsTJones
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!