“Peaceful!”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Reviewed July 10, 2014

This was the first time I visited Skytop, but hopefully not my last. I read all the reviews and requested a room away from elevators and with as much space as possible. I was pleasantly surprised by our queen room. I really was skeptical before we arrived but I'm glad we went. It was just my husband and I. We went during the week and the place was so peaceful. I nice getaway with tons of things to do. We brought our own cooler and packed sodas/waters etc. We also ate there as well and the food was good. Our living social deal included a breakfast buffet which we enjoyed immensely especially the omelet station. We usually frequent hotels such as The Hilton & Hyatt, so believe me when I say, this place was not as bad as some made it out to be. It is quiet, secluded and the perfect place to get out of the city (Philly) for a few days.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor. Try to book when they have a special because normal rates are pretty high. As...
1  Thank MrsTJones

Reviewed July 10, 2014

My husband and I visited Skytop for 4 days/3 nights on the Summer Fun plan. I'll start off by admitting that we should have just gone for the All American plan, as being 7 months pregnant restricts the ability to do many of the outdoor activities we had hoped to do! That being said, we had a wonderful time. As others mentioned, I was very nervous about the most recent reviews and had a tentative approach when we arrived, but once we arrived in our room and then had our first meal, my fears were alleviated. Some points...

Our room was NOT ready until 4PM, but that is the guaranteed check in time, so I can't really fault them for that.

The Pine Room is a bit dated and needs some updating, but it is a historic lodge and I can understand the desire to keep things in period.

Our room was very clean, the bed was extremely comfortable and the furniture of very high quality. The bathroom is small, but not uncomfortably so. The doors between rooms do transmit noise-we were next to a family with young children, and could hear them clearly when both families were in the rooms...fortunately, they went to bed relatively early, so they did not disrupt our sleep.

The Windsor room decor is also a bit dated, but the food....wow. We were truly impressed with the quality and variety. Breakfast was buffet style, but they have a full omelet station AND full menu if you prefer lighter fare or to have something custom made. Everything was fresh and delicious. Lunch - also buffet with a menu option...I opted for getting salad and dessert from the buffet and the entree from the menu, but my husband was impressed with the hot options.

Dinner was excellent each night-there were multiple choices (including a vegetarian option) and the menu changed daily. My three dinners were mushroom risotto, sea bass and hangar steak, while my husband had the stuffed chicken, catfish and scallops. All were perfect with great accompaniments. The desserts were out of this world. The wine list is very good, but the wine stewards were just "meh"...minimal personality for most of them and they seemed bored. But the servers were attentive and helpful.

The outdoor space is beautiful-some things need updating (Archery field, putting greens), but the grounds are gorgeous. The pools are very, very nice and large enough for both swimmers and kids who want to play around.

All in all, we were very happy with our stay and would return. I would not get the All American plan again, though-WAY too much food :) But that's my personal decision-for many families, it is a wonderful option.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank M F
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I stayed here with the family over a holiday weekend during the summer. The grounds are magnificent, and the hotel is reminiscent of the old style grand estates.

My kids loved the meals (all-included), as well as the fact that they have both an indoor pool and an outdoor pool. Activities include mini-golf, archery, bonfires, hiking, etc. Always something to do to keep busy.

Tip #1: If you don't like dressing up formally (jacket and tie required) just to eat a meal, you can skip the main restaurant and make reservations in the less casual restaurant like we did.

Tip # 2 The zipline adventures fill up quickly, so make sure you reserve space before you arrive.

The rooms could certainly be bigger for the price, but ours did come with a fireplace and a balcony, which were nice touches.

We can't wait to go back there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Skeelove
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I booked a room in the main bldg at Skytop for a quick girlfriend getaway with a friend from college as it was a good halfway point for us both. Reading the most recent reviews I was panicked because they were horrible and it was too late to cancel. We checked in Tuesday morning. I arrived at 10:30am and to my surprise I was greeted by a nice manager type gentlemen who opened the door for me, and a young man who explained he was the valet (I had already parked). To my surprise our room was ready. We had spa appointments at 11am so we headed right to the spa on the 5th floor. The hotel itself was open and airy and not crowded at all. I was anticipating a musty old hotel from the reviews and was pleasantly surprised that this was not the case. The elevator is very small and older but functional. That said, we opted for the stairs for our stay after the initial visit to the spa on the 5th floor. The spa was nice and welcoming. Definitely not your modern posh spa but it fit the hotel (for example the quiet area where you wait in your room was wicker garden type furniture). The people at the spa were welcoming and everything was clean and neat. Nicole did my massage and it was fabulous. My friend had the rose petal wrap and said it was the best she had ever received. I will say my massage music was a CD of jazzy Kenny g type music, not the usual babbling brook or ocean waves I am used to during a massage. My friend said hers was instrumental but included a Christmas song in the mix. It did not ruin the experience but was not what we were used to. After our services I took a quick shower at the spa and we headed to our room. We were in 202, a large corner room. No musty smells (again the reviews had me worried!), clean and bright. Bathroom was clean and bright as well. We spent the day at the pool, after grabbing sandwiches to go at the Tea Room. The 3 young people working at the Tea Room were very nice and pleasant and the sandwiches were decent. The pool and clean and nice. We saw a small bar with signs for margaritas etc and I finally asked the lifeguard when it opened and they said fri-sun only. So we headed into the taproom inside and ordered delicious fruity drinks we could take out to the pool. After a few hours we made reservations for the dining room dinner then changed and walked around the lake. Dinner was delicious and the service was great. It was not crowded and I felt like we had 4 servers assigned to us. We had another drink in the tap room (again friendly and attentive service) and headed to bed. There were a lot of noises in the hall, I heard kids etc in the early morning and my friend said she woke up to what sounded like maintenance (ladders opening and closing etc) in the hallway during the night. Bed was comfy enough, my friend would have liked softer feather pillows. We set the air at 60 for a cool night and it maybe hit 70. Not uncomfortable but not cool. Breakfast was included and was buffet. Again, food and service were great. We headed to the desk to split the bill as we just charged everything to the room during our stay. A bit of sticker shock as in less than 24 hrs we spent $380, plus another $360 for the room and breakfast. This did not include the $100 we each spent at the spa (pretty reasonable I thought for the spa). So a little pricy for a girls overnight but we did have about 4 drinks each from the taproom, lunch at Tea Room and dinner in dining room with a nice bottle of wine. Plus all gratuities had been added in. We were there during the week so I am guessing things are a little different and busier on a weekend. All in all we had a fabulous time and the view cannot be beat. If you are booked or thinking about it, don't be discouraged by the negative reviews. It IS a bit of a throw back to the Kellerman's from Dirty Dancing but I felt it was part of the charm. Maybe some fresh carpets would add a bit, and drinks or menu service by the pool would be a nice bonus, but it was not the dingy musty place I read about in the other reviews. I am also wondering if the staff is stepping it up, because everyone was so very attentive and nice. We will be back, I will just pay more attention to the room charges :)

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank IGP328
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We were there on Sunday and Monday night recently and we enjoyed our stay. The mattress was superb and the room was nice. The walls are thin and we could here this kid and his father at 7 am chatting away. The lunch time is not convenient if you have a meal plan only one hour. We enjoyed this beautiful resort and would consider having a special destination event there (1 hour from home). Sergio in the dining room could have not been more accomodating. All in all would recommend if you are looking to relax. I would give it a better rating if they had nightly entertainment. There is a beautiful piano in the lobby. I would have enjoyed some music with a nightcap after dinner.

1  Thank Wendy M
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I received a one night stay at Skytop Lodge as a gift from friends. It was aClassic Queen Bed and Breakfast Package. Due to a traffic nightmare, we arrived at the property at around 6 PM.
As we drove up, we were excited, looking forward to the stay. The grounds were beautiful, and the exterior of the main building was impressive.
We parked our car and walked up to the main entrance with filled with excitement in anticipation of a wonderful stay.
Our hopes were quickly dashed as we opened the door and was smacked in the face with the smell of must and mold. The place was so so old and worn. We could get over old and worn, but could not get past the smell. Almost immediately my wife's throat began tightening up from the smell. The place reminded us of The Kellerman Lodge in the movie Dirty Dancing.
We went to check in, and when we presented the female clerk with our Gift Certificate for our stay, she looked at us like we had two heads. Had to call for someone else to help. I asked if there was a problem and he said no. After about a 10 minute process we received our keys, and was told our room was on the second floor. On our way to the elevator we passed the main dining room, and a sign was posted that jackets were required, ties optional. Since we were in our vehicle for over 7 hours(previously mentioned traffic nightmare) for a ride that should have taken only and hour and a half, we were hungry. We had looked forward to getting refreshed and having a nice dinner. That thought was crushed because we did not pack formal attire for one night. I went back to the check in desk to inquire about dinner. I was told that since I did not have a dress shirt and jacket, i would have to eat in the Tap Room on the lower level.
We made it to the 2nd floor. The elevator door opened, and a whole new smell. It smelled old, and not fresh. We made our way down the hall to our room. Used the key to open the door. What a surprise, and not in a good way. This "Classic Queen Room" was the smallest hotel room I ever checked in. Smaller than an inside stateroom on a cruise ship. Way smaller than our balcony staterooms on a cruise ship. The room was old, but clean. The TV was a 19 inch VCR combo with a broken cassette door. I am not exaggerating on the room size. There was a wall a small night table, the lumpy egg crated uncomfortable bed, another night table, and then the outside wall. The bathroom had a pedestal sink, a toilet, and two foot by two foot shower. oh, there was a little table between the sink and toilet that held the hair dryer with a broken off/on switch.
We decided to leave the old cramped room and walk down two flights of steps to go to dinner. We left our room and tried to use the stairwell closest to our room. I open the door to the stairwell, stepped in, stopped immediately and closed the door. The smell of mold was overwhelming. We used a different stairwell, mid hall way that didn't smell quite as bad.
We reached the level that the tap room was on. (the basement). The musty smell was there too. We got to the Tap Room. The servers were friendly. TheColby Burger was good but way overpriced for a frozen machine formed patty (19.00). It did come with fries. My wife's ribs were excellent, and moderately priced (17.00 for a half rack) The soda was good. the first glass of water tasted good. The refill from the pitcher that the server brought around was undrinkable. The taste was nasty.
After dinner we wanted to sit by the pool. We got there, at about 7pm, and it was closed. It is summer, it is a vacation resort, it is light out to past 8:30, and you close the pool???
So we walked the grounds, and they are beautiful. My wife found a r row of rockers on a patio area. She just wanted to sit and rock and look at the beautiful view, but as she sat down on the rocker, it was creaky, dirty, old, and unstable. We then walked up to the observatory. The view from the old look out tower was wonderful. There is a plaque on the wall beside the steps that says it was used during world war 2 to spot enemy planes. Being on the roof was the best 15 minutes of our stay there. We walked back to our room through the dimly lit musty smelling halls and had a sleepless night on the uncomfortable lumpy bed. There was not even an ice machine on the floor. You had to call the porters to bring you ice.
We went to breakfast, and I guess because we were on the bed and breakfast plan, they sat us in the first dining room. It is a huge room. We were the only ones in that room. Everyone else was seated in the back dining room where the omelette station was. The eggs were cold, the coffee was bad, but the bacon and sausage i had was ok. We were in and out of the dining room in less than 15 minutes. Went back to our room, got our bags and checked out. Never ever to return.
By the way, that gift of the bed and breakfast package to me, cost my friends $280.00.
I have stayed in an $89.00 a night hotel room that was way better than this place.
I would not recommend this place to anyone.
It only took us an hour and a half to get home.

20  Thank dedosr
Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

This place was so bad that we checked out early and just ate the very big loss per the 30 day cancellation policy. Food is disgusting. Frozen, premade and in more than one case inedible. Service was terrible. I asked for a table by the window, was told they were all reserved and watched them sit empty the whole evening. I should say I tipped everyone on sight. Many activities were "unmanned" every time we tried to contact. Rooms are old and smell. Gross! Technology is out of the 80s. The shuttle vans are rusted out. Are you serious? Everything has devolved to "spend as little as possible". If you read similar reviews you'll see the manager often responds with the exact same form note. Has he ever been to a well run resort? Don't listen to the positive reviews.

• Stayed: May 2014
14  Thank Bluemarlin2003
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!