“Very pleasant and comfortable”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Westfield, New Jersey
“Very pleasant and comfortable”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We have never been here before. We stayed for a wedding and were pleasantly surprised with how nice of a hotel and grounds this was.
The hotel is charming, the service is cordial. The lobby is large and welcoming. It also has tea time every afternoon, also charming.
The room was quite large. While it is old, it had the usual amenities. The air-conditioning worked very well. The bathroom was small and maybe a bit awkward, but I thought it was fine. The bed was comfortable.
The food was very good.
The grounds are beautiful. The area had nice places to see.
All in all, I would return for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I booked the reservation 1 month in advance . I purchased it via Living Social ( 2 night with breakfast $230 total ) for my anniversary . It was me , my hubby & another couple. So we booked 2 rooms.

1. Property is amazing 5500 acres , lots of activities so you wont be sitting ideal. Beautiful , nice people, family friendly just not enough words to describe.

2. Taking half star away because they have 2 buildings far from each other so me & another couple got rooms in different building which we were not aware off neither while make reservation they informed us. They do provide shuttle without hesitation.

3. First night we book Dinner at Lake View it was Fancy but crazy Expensive and its not worth it. So I am taking half star for that.

4. Free Breakfast is amazing

Suggestion:

* If you don't have a deal this place is very expensive for per night ..

* If you want to save money on food stick with Tea Room & Tap room they have available for good food & good price or else go outside the property couple of miles away they have lots of good Diner

Overall it was a wonderful experience . It made our anniversary memorable.

Room Tip: * If you don't have a deal this place is very expensive for per night .. * If you want to sav...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fatima G
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We loved the outdoor activities, hikes, nature walks, rock climbing and fishing. Golf class was excellent. Pool was also very good and clean. Staff is nice. They can do better with more healthier food choices and speciality coffee drinks. Fronk Desk need to be warm and welcome with smile at checking in, we found that they were a little cold initially and didnot explain the properties and amenties at all. We stayed in cottages, room were ok.

Room Tip: We only stayed in Cottages, Queen size is too small, go for King size, water heaters may run out of...
Massachusetts
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Let me say first all the wonderful things about Skytop Lodge. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms, while mine was small, was charming and well maintained. The bellhop, the restaurant staff and the housekeeping staff all lovely and helpful. We stayed in a 4th floor room with an amazing view, sweet furnishings and spotless room. Was it brand shiny new? No, and I didn't go to a stately historic hotel for a brand new guest room. My expectations were for character and not luxury and were more than met. I did not book with dinner, just breakfast but the buffet was plentiful, option for a cooked breakfast from a menu and coffee was delicious.

My only concern is my arrival. No one was at the door, the hotel lobby was empty except for one sleeping guest. It was 5 pm on a weekday? The front desk clerk getting someone ice from the bellhop closet, but finished with that task, walked by me and did not acknowledge me at all on her way around to the desk. There was no friendly welcome to the hotel, her reply to me was "yes, can I help you?". I said I was checking in and the reply was "Oh", no change to demeanor. I was not oriented to the resort, no one asked if it was my first time, no offer of help with my luggage or to park my car, all the normal service one would expect from a 4 or 5 star hotel. I was simply asked for my card/id, told I booked a room with breakfast, told the hours of service and handed my key. Okay.... not the best first impression, slightly off putting. It got a bit worse when I found my room was configured as a king and not a 2 bed twin, an hour later with not much help from that hotel clerk, housekeeping and the bellman's kindness fixed that situation.

Your front desk staff are the face of your hotel. This hotel clerk seemed uninterested in service and was not a friendly face after a drive, it was like dealing with a stone and I felt unwelcome and as if I were asking for something extra, not what I booked. I would have had dinner and paid quite a bit for that but instead, we left and found a charming simple place in town.

Please note, the rest of the stay and the rest of the staff, including a power outage (brief! the hotel has a generator) was great but one bad apple really can spoil the lot. I was glad that every other person I dealt with was friendly, welcoming, helpful and kind. Maybe there just needs to be some training here - I work in service and I understand how to make everyone feel special, it's not so hard after all and I feel the hotel manager / front desk manager needs to give this person some time to be a better fit with the rest of the staff.

Room Tip: Stayed in 407, view of garden (even numbers seem to face parking lot/back of hotel), tip: if you nee...
7 Thank ISA51
Sudbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I brought my 12 year old son to Skytop Lodge during April vacation while my husband and daughter were touring colleges. I found the staff to be outstanding there - everyone had a pleasant greeting and was very friendly. The lodge was beautiful - I love historic hotels and this had a great old-fashioned vibe with lots for kids to do. In our couple of days there we enjoyed the beautiful indoor pool - gorgeous tropical trees in the pool area - the putting greens, the horseshoes, the walking trails, and the nightly fire with marshmallows (all complimentary). The indoor area with ping pong tables, several holes of old-fashiioned mini golf, local snakes and reptiles on display, and an arcade was great family fun. We did not get to the adventure center, but people who did loved the rock-climbing, and people raved about the guided nature walks. My son loved his grilled cheese and root beer float in the tea room, and we loved exploring the lodge. We found one very old-fashioned elevator that was so cool. The landscaping was stunning. We didn't have much time there, and we need to get back for all the things we didn't get to do. He thought the kid food was great, I thought the adult food was OK. The tea and cookies in the lobby at tea time were fun, and the chocolate mints at night were addictive! This is a great place for a family vacation, and I would love to go back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Pamela B
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Pamela B,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that we met and exceeded your expectations. Skytop offers an array of activities, provided by a team of employees who consistently provide our guests with world-class service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop.

Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 17, 2014

This was our second stay here, and the first time we brought our children. The food was incredible, there were tons of things for everyone to do, and the service was excellent. We did not walk past one staff member who didn't wish us good day, reservation desks were well staffed and eager to answer questions. Room was very nice, bathroom was a little cramped, but not bad compared with other historic hotels. Grounds are immaculate.

1 Thank Val L
Dear Val L,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased that your family has experienced the best of what Skytop has to offer. I shared your comments with our team and they are glad to know that you enjoyed your time with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Arrival through departure we were continually impressed with the amenities and staff. Sky Top did come highly recommended and since our visit we have referred many friends and posted on social media about the great time we spent there.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Peter G,

Thank you for providing your feedback. I am pleased that we were able to exceed your expectations during your recent stay. I shared your kind comments with my team and they were glad to know you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop soon.

Vice President & General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!