“Excellent stay with some concerns”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Let me say first all the wonderful things about Skytop Lodge. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms, while mine was small, was charming and well maintained. The bellhop, the restaurant staff and the housekeeping staff all lovely and helpful. We stayed in a 4th floor room with an amazing view, sweet furnishings and spotless room. Was it brand shiny new? No, and I didn't go to a stately historic hotel for a brand new guest room. My expectations were for character and not luxury and were more than met. I did not book with dinner, just breakfast but the buffet was plentiful, option for a cooked breakfast from a menu and coffee was delicious.

My only concern is my arrival. No one was at the door, the hotel lobby was empty except for one sleeping guest. It was 5 pm on a weekday? The front desk clerk getting someone ice from the bellhop closet, but finished with that task, walked by me and did not acknowledge me at all on her way around to the desk. There was no friendly welcome to the hotel, her reply to me was "yes, can I help you?". I said I was checking in and the reply was "Oh", no change to demeanor. I was not oriented to the resort, no one asked if it was my first time, no offer of help with my luggage or to park my car, all the normal service one would expect from a 4 or 5 star hotel. I was simply asked for my card/id, told I booked a room with breakfast, told the hours of service and handed my key. Okay.... not the best first impression, slightly off putting. It got a bit worse when I found my room was configured as a king and not a 2 bed twin, an hour later with not much help from that hotel clerk, housekeeping and the bellman's kindness fixed that situation.

Your front desk staff are the face of your hotel. This hotel clerk seemed uninterested in service and was not a friendly face after a drive, it was like dealing with a stone and I felt unwelcome and as if I were asking for something extra, not what I booked. I would have had dinner and paid quite a bit for that but instead, we left and found a charming simple place in town.

Please note, the rest of the stay and the rest of the staff, including a power outage (brief! the hotel has a generator) was great but one bad apple really can spoil the lot. I was glad that every other person I dealt with was friendly, welcoming, helpful and kind. Maybe there just needs to be some training here - I work in service and I understand how to make everyone feel special, it's not so hard after all and I feel the hotel manager / front desk manager needs to give this person some time to be a better fit with the rest of the staff.

Room Tip: Stayed in 407, view of garden (even numbers seem to face parking lot/back of hotel), tip: if you nee...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank ISA51
There are newer reviews for Skytop Lodge

Reviewed May 19, 2014

I brought my 12 year old son to Skytop Lodge during April vacation while my husband and daughter were touring colleges. I found the staff to be outstanding there - everyone had a pleasant greeting and was very friendly. The lodge was beautiful - I love historic hotels and this had a great old-fashioned vibe with lots for kids to do. In our couple of days there we enjoyed the beautiful indoor pool - gorgeous tropical trees in the pool area - the putting greens, the horseshoes, the walking trails, and the nightly fire with marshmallows (all complimentary). The indoor area with ping pong tables, several holes of old-fashiioned mini golf, local snakes and reptiles on display, and an arcade was great family fun. We did not get to the adventure center, but people who did loved the rock-climbing, and people raved about the guided nature walks. My son loved his grilled cheese and root beer float in the tea room, and we loved exploring the lodge. We found one very old-fashioned elevator that was so cool. The landscaping was stunning. We didn't have much time there, and we need to get back for all the things we didn't get to do. He thought the kid food was great, I thought the adult food was OK. The tea and cookies in the lobby at tea time were fun, and the chocolate mints at night were addictive! This is a great place for a family vacation, and I would love to go back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Pamela B
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Dear Pamela B,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that we met and exceeded your expectations. Skytop offers an array of activities, provided by a team of employees who consistently provide our guests with world-class service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

This was our second stay here, and the first time we brought our children. The food was incredible, there were tons of things for everyone to do, and the service was excellent. We did not walk past one staff member who didn't wish us good day, reservation desks were well staffed and eager to answer questions. Room was very nice, bathroom was a little cramped, but not bad compared with other historic hotels. Grounds are immaculate.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Val L

Dear Val L,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased that your family has experienced the best of what Skytop has to offer. I shared your comments with our team and they are glad to know that you enjoyed your time with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

Arrival through departure we were continually impressed with the amenities and staff. Sky Top did come highly recommended and since our visit we have referred many friends and posted on social media about the great time we spent there.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Peter G,

Thank you for providing your feedback. I am pleased that we were able to exceed your expectations during your recent stay. I shared your kind comments with my team and they were glad to know you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop soon.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stayed in early May for a conference and since this annual meeting are in nice resorts, I had high expectations as the cost was right in line with a five star resort. The cost was extreme for an older hotel that desperately needs updating. I get the charm of the older hotel - but come on - update the old box TVs with new flat screens - it would make a huge difference. Our room was one of the nicer ones from our group - the bed was comfy and a decent size room. One of the other attendees asked for an upgrade and she got a "lakeview" room that was half the size of our room. Someone else's room had just a shower - no tub and they put the soap dish up over their head or it would be poking them in the back because the stall was so small. It seemed every room was different - sure some good and bad to all. We had an adjoining room and we could hear right through the doors.
The grounds were absolutely beautiful and it appeared there was a lot to do though it was chilly our weekend.
The food was delicious and absolutely one of the pluses of the resort. The staff was attentive and friendly enough.

Overall, I think some updating would improve this place tremendously while keeping some of that "Shining" charm.

Room Tip: Watch what the upgrade includes. You don't want to pay more for smaller room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
9  Thank Kim W

Dear Kim W,

Thank you for providing feedback with respect to your recent stay. I appreciate your kind comments with respect to our team, as they make every effort to provide world class service.

Please accept my sincere apologies that our guest rooms did not meet your expectations. We will certainly take your feedback into consideration of the upcoming refresh of our guest rooms.

We hope to welcome you back to Skytop.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

We stayed for two days (one night) in early May, passing through the area. There were some definite pluses and minuses. The golf course is farily long and in good shape for a resort cvourse. (They should build a few new ladies tees to shorten it a bit.)

One the plus side, the food was fabulous, with the atmosphere in the main dining room everything you could expect from a grand hotel. The partridge soup was simply one of the best dishes I have ever experienced. The service was excellent, though the hotel was almost empty early in the seaon so I can't make offer any judgements on summer. In walking the grounds, it looks like there's more than enough to do in warmer weather. I might circle back to try the toboggan chute into the lake.

On the negative side, the suite in the main hotel was a bit tired, with little water pressure. Even thought the hotel was almost empty, we managed to have a loud talker in the next room who was on his phone until almost midnight. Next time, maybe one of the cottages so we can have a place to sit outside -- no decks in the main inn.

Room Tip: Main hotel is classic, but the rooms are small. No decks. The inn at the golf course looks nice, but...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Slightlycranky

Dear SlightlyCranky,

Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your recent stay. Skytop is a wonderful place for a short getaway and I am pleased that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations. I shared your comments with our team today and they are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop soon.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We have visited Skytop for years. Our return once or twice a year surely shows that we have an appreciation for the venue. This year we travelled in a group of 10; six had never visited Skytop. It was our hope that they would love it as we did. For logistical purposes, we reserved 4 rooms in a cottage. It took five calls to get this reservation correct. We kept getting charged for an additional room. We asked for a specific set up for one room, and I called several times to confirm this. Guess what? The room was not set up as requested. We had to call housekeeping. Also there were bags of trash in the room. Yes, it was corrected. But I was still irritated. We rented bikes and they fell apart. yes, they fell apart. pedals came off, seats were twisted, handlebars bent. Yes, they reimbursed us for the bikes, but it ruined the afternoon. Dinner on Saturday was awful. The service was clumsy and inattentive and two of the dishes were inedible. Yes, they credited us for the meals, but it was a really unpleasant evening. We had many more problems with the stay. Yes, they gave us a credit, but can you ever really get a weekend back? This place is certainly not the place we fell in love with many years ago

Room Tip: We have always stayed in the Lodge. This time we chose a cottage. If you choose the cottage, bring...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
10  Thank ssbPhiladelphiaPA

Dear ssbPhiladelphiaPA,

Thank you for providing feedback with respect to your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties you experienced during your visit. This does not represent Skytop’s renowned level of service.

I am pleased that a member of our senior management team was able to connect with you to discuss your stay and offer resolution. I trust that we will be able to regain your confidence in Skytop and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Vice President & General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!