“Disappointing....”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Reviewed February 20, 2014

When the resort that my husband & I had reservations at last week closed due to an outbreak of Norovirus, we decided we would go to Skytop for our 2 night-3day get away. After I had made our reservations by phone (only 5 days before we were to go), I realized that nothing was mentioned about the “Spa Package” which the website claims “Relax and unwind your way. Book now and your stay includes a $100 spa credit.” Since we wanted spa treatments, I called the reservation desk again, only to be put through to voicemail, with the promise that somebody would return my call. That phone call didn’t happen…and I see from other reviewers that this is not uncommon. That was the first indication that this was not like “the other place”. So I called the “spa” a couple of days later to make our appointments. Nothing was mentioned at the time that the “spa” is on the 5th floor of the main lodge, and the elevator only goes up to the 4th floor. It’s a good thing that my 8 month old new titanium knees could manage the flight of steps from the 4th floor to the “spa” on the 5th floor. The “spa”, contracted by an independent company, is not owned or run by Skytop. It is nothing more than a bunch of rooms down a hallway with dirty carpet; there is no spa atmosphere here whatsoever. There was music in the waiting room, but none in the treatment room, other than the squealing massage chair that I sat on while getting a pedicure. Definitely not relaxing. Skytop management should take a trip to “the other place” to see what a real spa is like!

Our room itself was very comfortable. It was clean and updated (except for the TV….). The wireless internet was sufficient which was a good thing, because after dinner there is nothing to do besides read, watch TV or surf the internet, since the pool closes at 6:00 and the gift store closes at 5:00! After our “spa” treatments, my husband and I went to the hot tub (at 4 pm)…..there were no keys for the locks in either locker room…..we had to take our belongings with us to the pool area. I mentioned this to staff at the check in desk on our way back upstairs. They said that the pool attendant had the keys. What pool attendant? There was no pool attendant! Apparently there was supposed to be, but there was a sign posted that said, “No lifeguard on duty.” I also mentioned to the staff that it would be nice if the pool were open later than 6:00. Their response was that a lot of people have requested that……So why isn’t management listening??? I was also told that I would receive a survey to fill out and I should mention that. Since I never received that survey, I am suggesting it here on Trip Advisor….

Since it is flu season (and the very reason that we were at Skytop and not “the other place”,) it would have been nice if there were hand sanitizers around the facility, particularly in the main lodge (where afternoon tea is served) and certainly by the entrance of the restaurant. None. Come to think of it, there were no tissues in the room, either (nor was there a microwave or coffee maker, or even a pad of paper with “Skytop” on it, but that’s another story!).

The first night at Skytop my husband and I had drinks in the Tap Room before dinner. I couldn’t get past the food on the ceiling above us. Looked like dried ketchup. And I’ve never been served a frozen strawberry dacquiri in a tall, “Coca Cola” style glass. The second night (food still on the ceiling) the strawberry dacquiri was served in a proper glass….

The food was nothing special, no presentation at all, particularly the buffet tables, certainly nothing like “the other place”. The first night my entrée was cold. Nothing like cold scallops and smashed potatoes. The breakfast and lunch buffets were adequate, but again, much of the food that is supposed to be hot was not. The wait staff was very attentive, though.

Looking forward to returning to "the other place".

1  Thank ally54
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear ally54,

Thank you for providing feedback with respect to your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties you experienced during your visit. This does not represent Skytop’s renowned level of service.

I would like the opportunity to speak with you regarding your stay. Please contact me at (570) 595-8909 at your convenience.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We've been here a few times during summer; now we wanted to try winter. We were not disappointed. Staying in the main lodge is definitely a plus at this time of year. The climate in the building was fine. Food continues to be strong all around in the main dining room and the coffee shop (although we think the dinner dessert menu could use some work). Our kids enjoyed their skiing, snowboarding and ice skating lessons and the staff at the adventure center is great. The Grand Elimination March is even more fun during a holiday weekend. Spa was also good and very reasonable (although there are no real spa facilities there).

When you come during a holiday weekend and following more snow than they have received in many years, you get some complications. Such as rooms not being ready till late afternoon because housekeepers didn't get to work. (Particularly hurtful to a lady with a disabled child whom she had to carry around for several hours while waiting.) Several activities being closed due to "too much snow" such as sledding, dog sledding and the tobaggan run. We were OK with it but figure that if they had charged guests extra for the sledding and tobaggan it would have been fixed faster. We went snow tubing at nearby Alpine Mountain and that was a good activity. Nevertheless, the lines here for activities are reportedly shorter than other places and we found it enjoyable.

In certain areas they just don't seem to be supervising things well. They had a campfire each night of the holiday weekend with marshmallows with nobody on staff supervising. The fire would change direction with the wind, a pile of wood would fall down -- not really a good idea to leave the guests alone. We're also not sure about how safe the tobaggan run is having heard a few stories from other guests.

What needs work is that the hotel had various activities for kids that were organized last minute but they didn't publicize it aside from putting a piece of paper on the activity desk or writing it down on a chalkboard next to the desk, so you had staff members sitting in empty rooms with nobody showing up which was a pity because people wanted these activities. They also charged $20 a person for laser tag for an hour and families of 4 didn't do it because it was too pricey. That left other people sitting around with nobody else to play with. They would be smarter to charge $15 a head and cap it at $50 for a family of 4. They should be better at this considering they do this for a living all year round.

Overall, this is a property with some quirks and some definite weaknesses in management (some examples above plus a dirty jacuzzi, a dinner at which several tables waited a good hour and a half for their dinners) and you sorta have to go with the flow here, but it has a very dedicated staff and some time-honored traditions and we generally like the place and would come back.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank 649ic

Dear ivanciment,

Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your recent visit. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your winter stay at Skytop.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you encountered during your visit. Your comments will be taken into consideration as we continue to improve our offerings and processes.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop soon.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We were all looking forward to our Presidents Day weekend at Skytop. On the positive side, the hotel is beautifully situated and the staff were pleasant with the exception of one particularly crusty elderly shuttle driver. My woes began with reservations. I made my original reservations on the site and the email confirmation gave different dates than I requested. I called, emailed, and called again and again to finally get a person in reservations to let them know. She told me that it was correct in the system--no apology--just I should know the system had it right even if the email didn't. I checked on the sleeping arrangements--was assured that 4 would sleep comfortable on the queen size sleeper sofa and king size bed. When we arrived during a snowstorm, there was major confusion about where to park and when our room would be ready. At 3, my husband was told 3:30. At 3:45, I was told check in was at 4 and that was not guaranteed. Our room wasn't ready until 4:50 and the cottage area was almost impassable. The stairs to our cottage were a sheet of ice and snow crowded the walkway so you had to put one foot in front of the other. I was assured that there would be a place to park so we could get out luggage in but due to the snow, that was not true either. The room had a "king sized bed" that was two beds pushed together. I slept on the crack with my daughters on the outside so they wouldn't complain or fall in. The queen size sleeper was a twin--my husband just about fit and we sleep happily together on a full size bed at home. The pool was without towels for at least an hour Saturday afternoon. There were no keys for the men's lockers in the locker room and one harried woman was in charge of both locker rooms, the pool area, and solving towelgate which meant she left the busy pool unattended for 10 minutes at a time to deal with various crises. The staff at the cross-country/snowshoe rental area was less than helpful on accessing trails. The food was fine but the table often ended up with uncleared dishes and wait times for coffee arrival and water refills could be improved. We paid $500 per night when you add in the service fees and taxes. I frankly expect substantially more from a hotel at that price point.

Room Tip: Staying at the cottages entails a lot of back and forth from the main lodge but more privacy.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Laura L

Dear Laura L,

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We decided to stay at Skytop, because we thought it was a "higher end" resort. We paid $700 per night. When we got to our room, we were very disappointed. The upholstery on the pull-out loveseat was filthy. It looked as if it was never cleaned. I could deal with an outdated room, but not a dirty one. The wallpaper on the bathrooms had stains on it. It looked as if it was never wiped down. Also. there was so much dust behind the desk. We ended up leaving a day early.
However, we did enjoy the dining and the activities. I just wish they invested more in the rooms and trained their cleaning staff appropriately.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank via2222

Dear via2222,

I am pleased that my office was able to connect with you to discuss your stay and offer resolution regarding your early check-out.

I trust that we will be able to regain your confidence in Skytop and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights over the weekend. I purchased the voucher from travel zoo which included a bed & breakfast deal. I really have no complaints with anyone being rude or unfriendly, everyone was professional. My only complaint was the lack of variety of things to do in a short amount of time due to time restrictions. For instance, check in is 4pm by that time a lot of the activities has ended or near ending. Therefore your first night is a waste. Snowboarding ends at 4pm because the slope sights don't have lights. The clay shooting ends at 5pm and you need a reservation. Ice skating is open during the day and re-opens at night. You shouldn't have a problem if you're staying for more than 2 nights it will give you plenty of time to do things. I also agree with a previous reviewer that said the bell boy gave a more extensive generalized property orientation than the people from the front desk.

The food is a bit overpriced, a hamburger is 13 dollars, a beer will
Cost you 5.50, cocktails 10-12 dollars. Dinner menus are from 16-36 dollars. If the quality of the food was worth the price I wouldn't mind paying but I honestly can't say it was. Keep in mind I only ate the breakfast buffet (the best meal during my stay), tap room, and tea room. There is fancy dining in the Windsor room but we opted not to try it. No regrets there!

Pros
-open late ice skating rink
-Good selection for breakfast buffet
-Shuttle takes you everywhere
-Game Room
-The employees in the skytop lodge AND especially the skiing area.
-Ski slopes are for beginners, like me!
(If you are advanced these slopes are not for you, it's good to learn in and for beginners)

Cons
-The bed was rock hard, but soft pillows.
-I was suppose to get 1 king bed room and was given a 1 queen bed room
-Limited options for late night eating
-Late check in
Ski slopes close early
-Pricey food
-Not a place for young couples, more so families or retirees.
-The teenagers who ran havoc in the ice skating rink and was never told to stop by employees. They were racing, throwing themselves on the ice to slide, and Inappropriately throwing around the large green plastic ice skating beginner walker.
-Btw the candlelights around the ice skating rink is not that nice or romantic looking as it looked it pictures. It may have been the teenagers bouncing off the walls or the lights not being dim but either way I was not impressed.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank lujen

Dear lujen,

Reviewed February 9, 2014

This place is really a hit or miss depending on which review you read. We read plenty of reviews prior to booking the deal through Travelzoo, and people either hated it, or they loved it. Our (my girlfriend and I) overall impression of the stay was somewhere between average and very good.

Overall Impression:
We stayed in the main lodge (facing the front of the hotel) on the fourth floor. While the room felt like we were staying in the attic of a house -- due to the way the windows were shaped -- it was quite quaint. The biggest complaint that mostly everyone had was that the rooms are too small, which is true. Although, if you plan on doing a day's worth of activities, then the room size shouldn't matter too much since you would only be there during the evening anyway. While the room could use some modern renovations, they probably wanted to preserve that old world charm. Mind you, you need an actual key to get into the room. The lock wasn't electronic.

The staff members were very helpful and friendly to us. They had no problem pointing us in the right direction if we had questions regarding where everything was located. As far as the food goes, breakfast was pretty good. It consisted of an omelet station, a selection of hot foods (scrambled eggs, sausage patties, bacon, etc.) as well as cold (bagels, cereal, etc.). We didn't eat dinner at one of the hotel restaurants. Rather, we decided to drive into town to eat. We didn't eat at the restaurant because we didn't feel like dressing up. Jackets are required for the men and the women were required to dress semi-formal. Not that this was a bad policy, we just didn't feel like it. There wasn't too much available around the area as far as restaurants go, so if you do not plan to eat on-site, be prepared to drive.

Activities:
When it came to things to do while staying at the hotel, they do offer some seasonal activities. We did the dog sledding, outdoor ice skating, and skiing.

Dog sledding was definitely a new experience. As the name would have it, you are on a sled (sitting or standing) and are being pulled by Alaskan Huskies. We were Kim's (our tour guide) first adventurers for the day and while the experience was great, we do not recommend being the first class for the day because when we got there, they were still setting up. They were not to blame for this since the field was covered from two snowstorms earlier in the week. Additional preparation was required to pat down the snow so the dogs could run. As a result of all of this, we only had time to do one lap around the field. There was a group after us and I'm sure that they were probably given at least a couple of laps since the dogs were already out and the field was leveled from our run. This activity cost about $130 for two people. A bit pricey for one lap mind you, but it was definitely worth going to.

Outdoor ice skating was okay. Like the name suggests, you are skating on the frozen lake that was outside of the hotel. We were the only people skating so having the lake to ourselves was pretty cool. It was more for the experience than it was for the skating. The skate rentals were $10pp.

Finally, the last activity we did was the skiing. The hotel had its own skiing area so it make it convenient for people already there. Alternatives were Camelback or Shawnee, but those required you to drive. Since we were both beginners, we opted to stay on-site. That was another reason why we went with this hotel because we knew they had their own slopes. Ski rentals were $24pp.

Final Thoughts:
I do recommend staying at Skytop if you want to experience winter in a lodge. If we did come back, it would probably be with more people and if we find a deal. I think the regular rates were at least $200–$300 a night.

Dear Jou C,

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent visit. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay.

Skytop is a four-season resort, offering activities from hiking and boating in the summer to skiing, tobogganing and ice skating in winter. I am glad that you were able to participate in one of our signature activities, dog sledding, during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Do NOT stay here! I was really looking forward to taking my boyfriend here for a nice weekend getaway for his birthday. I purchased the travelzoo voucher for $199 for free "lift tickets" and a one night stay (including another $50 for service taxes which is absurd when we only stayed ONE night). Unfortunately we were both extremely disappointed with everything about this place. Before even getting to Skytop it took forever to speak to someone in the Windsor dining area to make a reservation and I was disconnected at least 4 different times which is very frustrating when you have some questions about the menu and prices (on a side note- I live in NYC and have been to some pretty amazing restaurants. If you are charging $35 for an entree and require men to wear suit jackets, please update your cafeteria Dirty Dancing looking dining room for a more updated intimate experience). We got to the hotel around noon expecting check in time to be 1PM. The front desk told us our room would not be ready until 4pm. I have never in all my years of traveling had a check in time so late when we are paying for a full night stay and also expected to ski all day. The most ridiculous part was that the ski slope shuts down at 3:50PM so how we were going to ski if we didnt even have a room to get changed and ready in!?? None of this was told to me before when I spoke to the front desk. I found the customer service to be extremely disorganized and unaccomadating. After arriving at the hotel, we got into the elevator and the smell was ABSOULTE HORRID. It smelled like a wet dog. Our room was depressing, dark, small and outdated. I really couldn't wait to get through the night so we could leave the next day. Also- please get rid of your shower curtain for the shower. It is disgusting to have a shower curtain when there are new guests staying in the room every other night. The curtain was extremely dirty and unsanitary. Oh and the fact that I could hardly fit my body in the small tub was almost comical. I will NEVER recommend this outdated unclean unsanitary hotel to anyone. Most MOTELS (not even hotels) for half the price were cleaner than this place. Do yourself a favor and take ur $250 to another hotel that has updated amenities and accomadates you when you pay them to stay there.

Room Tip: Choose another lodge to stay in if you want a good room
12  Thank Kristen C
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear Kristen C,

Thank you for providing feedback with respect to your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties you encountered during your visit. This does not represent Skytop’s renowned level of service.

I would like the opportunity to speak with you regarding your stay. Please contact me at (570) 595-8908 at your convenience.

Vice President & General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!