“We Loved Our Stay At The Top of Skytop”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We went to Skytop Lodge after years of procrastinating about it. It looked so beautiful on the web site, especially in winter. But it was sooo expensive! So we kept putting it off and spending our money elsewhere. But then along comes Living Social with a deal that put a stay within reach, kinda, and with stay dates that would allow us to stay when the Lodge gets all decked out for the Holidays. So, I gave a 2 night midweek getaway to my wife as her Christmas gift and we stayed the week before Christmas. The Loving Social Deal saved us 50% of what would have been a $300.00 per nite expense, at least!

You need the right frame of mind to enjoy Skytop Lodge. We were expecting old lodge grandeur and atmosphere and that is precisely what we got. Our room was tiny, which we expected, with a comfortable king bed and a huge walk in closet that was ideal for getting the winter clothes hung up and the luggage out of the way. The private bath was a surprise with a double vanity, and a bathtub and shower combo. Drawer storage was adequate for our 2 night stay. I loved it that our room had a view overlooking the snow covered gardens and fields in the back of the Skytop campus. The roof and window sills of the Lodge were buried in snow when we arrived making our view postcard pretty. And the windows opened! So did the window in the bath. I give this amenity a high grade, as I love fresh air, even in winter.

Our room had a very modest sized TV but there were lots of cable choices. There was excellent wireless internet. We enjoyed a strong, dependable signal without interruption throughout our stay. There was a modest, bedside, work desk and chair with a modest light fixture. We enjoyed nice natural light through the big windows of our room from mid morning to late afternoon. Our room had no refrigerator, no microwave, and no coffeemaker and the room and bath décor was reflective of that old lodge grandeur, meaning that you needed that frame of mind that I mentioned earlier for you to get with the program. Meaning.... hey, you are not going to spend much time in your room. You are going to spend your time enjoying the Lodge... and there is a lot to enjoy.

I enjoyed soaking up old lodge atmosphere around the fireplace in the wonderful, massive Main Lobby, that showed off spectacularly with Christmas trees and Holiday decorations. We had timed our visit perfectly, as the new fallen snow had blanketed the countryside, so the views out the massive windows on each side of the Lobby showed off a variety of actual Christmas Card scenes. I soaked all this ambience right up and had to be strongly encouraged to move from my position in a comfy fireside recliner to enjoy the other amenities that Skytop had to offer.

The Main Dining Room rivaled the Main Lobby in old lodge grandeur. There was the same natural light through massive windows on both sides of a cavernous dining space. There were wonderful wood beams and massive wood moldings. There were tasteful decorations and flower arrangements and fountains. And the wait staff were all dressed up all the time in tuxedos, giving the room an elegant flair. Breakfast was included in our room rate so we arrived early and stayed late. We enjoyed fresh fruits, juices, pastries and coffee while we selected our breakfast choices from the menu. We were scolded by the Dining Room Captain for wearing a baseball hat and for opening up our cell phones in the Dining Room. It says not to do so on the Message Board as you enter.

I suggest the Poached Eggs and Beef Hash. My wife liked her French Toast. The bacon is ordered as an add on to the breakfast entrees and it was tasty and crispy. So is toast! I did not care for the sausage or for the hash brown potatoes, which were actually not hashed at all. The coffee was ok. It was served in tiny cups, which meant that I had to keep getting refills and as the Dining Room filled up with guests, the wait for those refills kept increasing. I asked for a Carafe of coffee to ease the burden on the wait staff but this idea was not considered.

We intended to visit a few locations in the Skytop neighborhood to do some antique shopping and to avoid the dinner prices at Skytop Lodge but we never went anywhere. Once positioned in the informal surrounds of the Tap Room, we sat ourselves down in front of the big TV screen and began sampling appetizers and cocktails. This was not cheap eats but the fried chicken was a substantial portion, and the ribs were excellent. Cocktails ranged from $10.00 to $12.00 as did glasses of wine. After drinking for an hour we weren't about to venture out onto unfamiliar narrow mountain roads in the dark, so we waited around until 6PM when the dinner menu appears in the Tap Room. You get to select the same entrees that are being prepared in the formal surrounds of the Main Dining Room upstairs, but you can wear your baseball hats and answer your emails while you dine! I enjoyed the Lamb Chops.

Other things that we did during our short stay were hikes (there are many trails all over the Skytop Property. I did the Swamp Trail in deep snow and had to break trail doing it.), and swimming. Bring your swim suit... the indoor pool is a legitimate size and wonderfully maintained. Why it is only open until 6PM is a complaint that I submitted to Management.

Next time my goals will be to enjoy downhill skiing and snowboarding, the zipline, and the sledding hill. These activities were not being offered during our visit. There is also a Shooting Range and a Toboggan Run to try. I added both activities to my next wintertime to do list.

There is a giant Recreation Room within the bowels of the Skytop Lodge to keep many levels of children occupied. There are several arcades, putt-putt golf holes, pool tables, ping-pong tables, and even a Nature Center to keep the little buggers occupied. The Activities Desk prepares a Calendar of Events that tells of hikes and marshmallow roasts and other stuff for kids to do, and some for adults to do too! The Lodge also employs a naturalist who will take you on a hike, suitable to your fitness level. And, by the way, there is also a nicely equipped Fitness Room with all sorts of contraptions to make you sweat and feel pain.

Our 3 days and 2 nights vanished extremely quickly, leaving me wanting more. Our modest room was adequate at best, but the grandeur of the Lodge more than trumped the modestness of the room, which we spent so very little time in. I want to go back at the same time next year. We avoided the great Christmas rush by going when we did. Had we gone a few days later, we would have encountered the surge of families that jam the Skytop Lodge over the holidays. I doubt I would have enjoyed the Lodge so much when it is filled with the screams and shouts of lots of children, out of school and filled with children energy. The Skytop Lodge prides itself on being the destination of several generations of families who gather year after year at Skytop for reunions over the Holidays. God bless them!

You have read long enough. Time to summarize. The Skytop Lodge offers modest rooms and lots of true old lodge amenities. It is a wonderful, albeit expensive getaway. The location is easy to find once you find it the 1st time from I-84 on Rt 390, but do this in daylight. Our 2 night stay ended with a prompt 10AM checkout. No exceptions are granted. Housekeeping will be knocking at your door. One very thoughtful room amenity is a genuine wood hiking staff. There is also a full size umbrella. I had only a few dislikes. The hours of the indoor pool was the biggest. The lack of a safety grab bar for use getting out of the shower as you climb over the bathtub was another. The tiny TV set was a third. The tiny cups of coffee in the Dining Room is a 4th.

I hope to be back at Skytop Lodge next year. I could make this a Christmas Time habit. It will depend on Living Social!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mauiman98
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear mauiman98,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and we were able to meet and exceed your expectations. Our mission is to preserve Skytop’s traditions while providing our guests with memorable experiences. Skytop is a grand, historic resort, supported by a team that strives to provide world class service at every level. I shared your comments with them today and they are pleased to know you enjoyed your visit.

I hope to welcome you back to Skytop again soon.

There are newer reviews for Skytop Lodge

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Our family of 12 visited Skytop Lodge for the first time this past weekend. I can't say enough praise for the staff, the cottage we stayed in, the activities and the fun we had. We all decided to make this a yearly visit. Thank you Skytop...we will definitely be back.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank gail d

Dear gail d,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad that we were able to exceed your expectations during your stay. Our team strives to make Skytop a “home away from home” for all of our guests. I shared your kind comments with them today and they were glad to know you enjoyed your visit.

I look forward to meeting you on a future visit.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Skytop is this beautiful 1920s era resort in the middle of nowhere. We spent most of our stay trying to figure out the service and rhythm of the place.They operate much like they did in the 1920s - including the expectation of dressing for dinner. We didn't bring dress clothes (we were on a ski vacation) and weren't organized enough to realize that we needed to make dinner reservations at the resort even though we were staying there. Since it was snowy, super cold, and far from other restaurants, we had to get creative to get dinner - essentially sneaking into the tavern right before dinner service. The food was delicious when we figured out how to get fed. Our waitress in the main dining room, Gabrielle, was very attentive, friendly and helpful. Our room was in the main lodge and what I expected from an early 20th century building - low ceilings, quirky floor plan. TVs are Zeniths from the mid 80s. Internet exists in the rooms, but I wouldn't rely on it for real work. Lots of activities - including stuff they don't put in their booklet, such as the laser tag field they put in one of their large ballrooms in the new conference center wing. They also had snowshoeing, a decent sized indoor ice rink, a small ski hill with towbar, crafting, esoteric indoor games (such as "horse racing" - ask them what that is). Highly recommend the dog sledding experience if you go in winter. Very kid / family friendly. A nice, historical travel experience - as long as you are expecting that.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sakecat22

Dear sakecat22,

Thank you for providing your feedback. An important part of our mission is preserving Skytop’s history and tradition while providing our guests with upscale accommodations and a variety of activities. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and we were able to meet and exceed your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop soon.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

My husband and I and our two boys(aged 11 & 13) had a great time at Skytop. Unfortunately, our two nights away turned into 3, due to snow and frigid temperatures. They were very accommodating, finding us another beautiful room when it was too icy to chance driving home. We did not do a lot of outdoor activities due to the freezing temps, but our boys LOVED the arcade, heated pool, afternoon tea, and as a family we had great fun playing ping pong for hours. The staff was excellent and the food was outstanding.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building which was very convenient for all the indoor activities.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear nohonor,

Thank you for providing your feedback. I am pleased that we were able to accommodate your family’s needs. I shared your kind comments with our team today and they are glad to know you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to meeting you on a future visit.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

This was our second time at Skytop. I am extremely particular in regards to hotel accommodations, food, and service and found Skytop to be extremely clean, have excellent customer service, and amazing food in the dining hall. It was our children's first time skiing and it was the perfect experience. There were no lines at the lift, the staff was encouraging throughout the weekend, and there was no worry of running into other skiers. When we go back, I would not go to the Tap Room. I felt that the menu was limited and the food was mediocre at best. But The Lakeview and the dining hall are amazing.

Room Tip: I have stayed in the cottages and the main lodge. I liked the main lodge better, especially in the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Bridget A

Dear Bridget A,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased that we have been able to meet and exceed your expectations during your recent visits. Our team strives to provide our guests with world-class service and memorable experiences. I will be sure to share your kind comments with them.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We went with a 3 years old for 3 nights (in a cottage) at the end of december 2013. We knew the facilities were old before going, but were very disappointed by:

- food: very poor quality and with a B&B formula, ridiculously overpriced, only one restaurant really even if they say there are 3, all equally bad!

- activities: with no snow and very cold weather, which made it impossible to stay outside, nothing to do for our child, apart from video-games, tv or very short, overcrowded and done in a hurry arts-and-crafts once a day (10 minutes total)

- swimming pool: overcrowded and DIRTY, very old again, people can wear outside shoes close to the pool, not hygienic at all, old, stained towels

- arcade: noisy, full of electronic games, nothing authentic or simple

But the location is good and it's probably worth a visit in the summer time for the outdoors activities they organize, in the winter holidays, with no luck of snow, very risky and overpriced

we ended up reducing our stay (without even getting fully refunded) but better to lose money than to stay in a place where you don't get proper food as a minimum!

Room Tip: We only tried the cottages, they were ok, certainly less noisy and probably larger than the other ro...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Veronica S

Dear Vesusani,

Thank you for providing feedback in relation to your recent stay.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties you encountered during your visit. Please contact me at (570) 595-7401 to discuss your stay. I welcome the opportunity to regain your trust in Skytop.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

My wife and I always do some sort of December trip for our Anniversary. This year we chose Sky Top. It was out first visit to the lodge and didn't really know what to expect.
The grounds and Lodge were everything I had imagined. You could feel the history of this place - so much character in the building and common rooms. We both loved all the Christmas decorations.

Activities:
There are quite a few things to do but the only pay activity we did was the skeet shooting. We arrived on time but apparently the van they use to transport you to the range broke down. We did have to wait awhile - which appears to have been a fluke - but the staff were very apologetic and even cut the price in half ($80 to $40). The shoot was fun but too quick - not all stations were up and running so we couldn't do the full skeet circuit. There were only 4 of shooting - two couples - but upon getting to the range I felt like the goal was to burn up the ammunition as fast as possible and get us down again. Three of our group had never fired a shotgun before - but no instruction at - why such a rush? The 4 of us were done in 20 minutes and shuttled down the mountain. I'm glad we didn't pay full price!

The grounds are beautiful with plenty of hiking trails. Very good trails that are well marked.

A weekly newsletter shows the various events occurring each day. Nothing extravagant - tells when music might be playing or perhaps a craft of some sort etc.

Dining:
I can't complain at all about the dining staff and food. Staff were friendly and the food was excellent. I love that the menu changes daily. Best breakfast and lunch buffet I have ever had. I do agree with other reviewers. Wine and mixed drinks appeared a bit overpriced.

Rooms:
The rooms were good. Bed was nice and we slept well. No issues with cleanliness. Cleaning staf we nice and respected out do not disturb signs. TVs are dated and my remote wouldn't work - flat screens would be nice at these prices.

Staff:
All staff were friendly and willing/glad to help with any issues.

Overall:
Overall I feel guests may feel nickle and dimed over some pay activities but I feel the best way to spend your time at SkyTop is take it easy. Enjoy the fireplace - which is huge - with a good book. Do some crafts or spend time out on the hiking trails or bring some good board games. This place isn't that far from Cammelback Ski area so I guess that's also an option.

We had a good time, felt relaxed and enjoyed the food.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a quieter visit - try to be there during the week - it appears lots of fam...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ronman114

Dear Ronman114,

Thank you for providing your feedback. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies with respect to your unsatisfactory skeet shooting experience. I shared your feedback with our team today to ensure that our normal excellent service standards are adhered to going forward.

Thank you for the kind comments with respect to your accommodations and dining experience. Our team is dedicated to providing our guests with friendly and helpful service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop again soon.

Vice President & General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!