“Wonderful Getaway” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went to Skytop Lodge for our 25th anniversary. The lodge is a beautiful old building in a beautiful setting. When we arrived, the front desk staff and bell hops were wonderful. We booked a bed and breakfast package over the phone and asked for a king room but when we got to our room it was two twin beds, we went back to the front desk and they corrected the error immediately and upgraded our room to a junior suite. I do agree with another reviewer who said the rooms do need a little updating but the staff and services more than make up for it. We had the same waiter in the Windsor Dining Room the first 2 days we ate breakfast and the night we ate dinner there, his name was Fernando and he was wonderful,very knowledgable and friendly, and helped make our dining experience more enjoyable. The food was excellent. We ate in the pub one of the nights we were there and the staff and food was also great. The day we were checking out we had a different waiter for breakfast and he was not as pleasant or accommodating. We hiked some of the trails to the falls and and around the lake. There is plenty to do if you love the outdoors, but if you just want to relax there are plenty of places to do that too, from the south porch to the gazebo, the pool, library, lobby and the fire pit where they had a campfire every evening. Everyday at 4 pm they have tea time in the lobby with fresh baked cookies, tea and lemonade. The few disappointments we had consisted of the dining room at the inn being closed for the season and The Tea Shop being closed on weekdays so it limited lunch and dinner options and they have s'more kits at The Tea Room for the campfire in the evenings but you couldn't get one because it was closed. The rooms, the carpeting, and furniture in the lobby could use some updating but for the price we could overlook that, all gratuities were included in the price. All in all it was an extremely relaxing few days that was much needed and appreciated.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kris H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Polish first
Little Silver, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

It was a wonderful long weekend. The food was excellent. September is a good time to go. The weather was perfect. It's not busy and the leaves are changing color. My husband and I enjoyed playing golf. I did not rate it a 5 because I think the shower was so small and the room could use an upgrade but then again I'm sure the price would go up. I had a massage which was just ok.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank vacationer1841
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear vacationer1841,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with respect to your September stay. The fall season is a beautiful time to visit Skytop.

I look forward to meeting you on a future visit.

Warm regards,

Douglas Hustad
Vice President & General Manager
Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

Beautiful and majestic old stone lodge nestled in the middle of the Poconos. The best activities one could ever ask for--gorgeous lake and trails to hike. Made us want to bring the grandkids and come again in the summer. Stunning views of the mountains and Fall foliage brought us here and we were not disappointed. Oh-if you are used to plush hotel rooms and cutting edge meals, bring your adaptability gene a it is a bit of a time warp in that regard but wouldn't life be boring if all places were cookie cutter the same? The character of this place far exceeds its dated furnishings and unimaginative food(which is tasty albeit forgettable).

We will return and we are fussy!

Thank you Skytop staff...we know many of you are invisible to us yet helped to make our stay magical.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amy s
Lancaster, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I could only stay 1 night, but we enjoyed every minute we were at Skytop. We had a good lunch buffet and then took a bike ride to the water falls. We saw a great heron at the falls...lots of good pics. We spent time reading on the porch and then had a lovely dinner. We probably would have gone to the hot tub after dinner, but the pool closes early. That is the only change I would make...keep the pool open until later. Because the resort wasn't very crowded we did not have a breakfast buffet...instead everyone ordered off the menu. I had eggs Benedict which was filling. The food choices always seem to include unique things...I think there was a trout dish with caviar. I told a friend about Skytop because she would love to see all the fun things on their menu. Foodies will enjoy the selections! We also played tennis and used their exercise room...it was great to have so many choices included in our room rate. I booked using a travelzoo voucher and was told at the time of making the reservation that there would be a $45 addl fee to cover gratuities and taxes. I still got a great deal and was happy that I never needed to carry around my wallet to make sure I had tip money. We also went zip lining...I will write a separate review for that on the adventure center's TA page. If u have the time...I recommend zip lining. We had great weather and the trees were just starting to turn colors...so it was a good time of year to visit. I hope to visit again....kudos to the staff...it's a great place!

Room Tip: We had room 316 which had views of the lake....nice, clean room.
1 Thank kendrash
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

It was a surprise birthday gift getaway and such a pleasant surprise. The grounds were breathtaking. There were trails available for the novice and experienced we chose just a couple to try which were just fine for us. This was our first visit to this lodge and I found the front desk lacking immensely. Services were fine but again except the front desk. I wasn't impressed with their assistance. Every time we asked stopped to ask a question or something they were unpleasant regarding anything. The rest of the staff was cordial and pleasant they made our stay enjoyable. Definite return visit in our future.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Christine L
Ringwood, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Visited Skytop Lodge this weekend for a zipline adventure course. My hubby and I had no idea what to expect, and we were not disappointed. The location of the Adventure Center is a little hard to find (don't turn in to Lodge at all but go down road for another 3/4 mile), so we were late for our session. But they were very relaxed about it and let us in anyway. Got geared up and headed outside for a quick demo on a very easy course. Scary, but then laughable after we had finished and saw how small it was, and remembered how nervous we had been at the start. Our guide Adam was awesome, and really went slow and took care of us. The course was extremely intimidating for most of us, as we were mostly middle aged and not used to adventure courses! But being fully harnessed and always attached helped to alleviate our fears a little. The course was advertised as a zipline adventure, but really was a full-on ropes course high up in the trees (not too high though, maybe 15 - 35ft). The zip lines were the easy part, just hold on and enjoy the ride! The obstacles from tree to tree were physically demanding and SCARY!!! Which equals super fun and makes you feel like a rock star to accomplish. Overcoming fears is an amazing feeling, especially for this mother of 2 :) I highly recommend this zipline adventure course.....keep your eyes out for a Living Social deal!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank schwamp
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I visited Skytop Lodge in September it was great experience the food excelent. I would like to go back with my family and Gr. kids in the summer. There is a lot of activities to do,
I believe that in the summer I will enjoy the beach and do more activities

Room Tip: I was the Lodge the view was beatiful
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Faceb00k319
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
#1 of 1 in Scotrun
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,321 reviews

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!