“Skytop won”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Reviewed September 13, 2013

rating 3 resorts we went to this summer, bedford springs, greenbrier and skytop and skytop was my favorite, what I loved the most was the all inclusive, really? I didn't even no they had that in the U.S. Not worrying about anything, is a true vacation, thats how skytop made me feel the food was incredible, really incredible and they take care of the kids for you so you enjoy your dinner, were have you ever seen that? and there was so many things to do (make sure you get a list so you dont miss anything) also if u miss a meal time, there is a deli by the beach you can get salads and sandwiches and snacks if you dont want to pay at the other restaurants, ok the rooms were not that big but I love the cosy feel of the whole resort, the people there were great, zipeline was fun. I cant wait to go back (I would like to try a no kid visit this time)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank terriblespellher

Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Have been here a few times over the past 10 years and never get sick of it...
Beautiful walk around their Lake, great hiking by the falls and to their gazebo overlooking a cliff and their Lodge...
Noon time cookies and tea, probably the real reason I keep going back...
And unmatchable buffet brunch, phenomenal Seabass for dinner, and traditional dancing ( classy) afterwards.
I recommend October for the beautiful fall weather, dress warm-

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Dptmax
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Our experience is similar to that of most TA reviewers. My rating is based on our discounted rate which was 39% off the regular room price. We would never pay the regular room rate for Skytop. Indeed, many vacationers must have felt the same way because we found out that the place was having troubles filling the rooms, a new manager was recently hired and all were happy to finally see the place filling up again.

Pros:

Price with tax, regular activities, 3 meals a day and King suite in the Lodge cost us $477 a night. Room 368 was a nice size but it sounds like its one of the only rooms to fit that description.

Grounds are beautiful and expansive. Also on the acreage, sit private homes and condos.

Plenty of free activities to keep a family with a 9 and 11 year old busy. We all loved taking the nature hikes, playing volleyball, croquet, archery, ping pong, mini golf and bouncing on trampoline and sliding down slide in lake. The swimming lake is a short walk on the other side of the Skytop Inn. The lake has a small narrow beach with chaise lounges, chairs, umbrellas, towels and plenty of children's sand toys. It's where we spent alot of time with the kids. I even enjoyed the trampoline and slide. However, it's not for younger children. Also, do not miss the excellent hikes with Naturalist Rick Koval who will find flora, fauna and animals on the trails to delight everyone. We were there for five days and there was plenty more we wanted to do but ran out of time.

Adventure Course- We purchased the $3 gloves and were harnessed up by the staff. We first went through a small course to ensure we understood how the clips all worked and how to safely climb the obstacles and use the zip line. After we all completed this course we were taken by an ATV up the ski slope to begin the course which was in three parts with zip lines ending each course and an extra 500 yard zipline to begin the last of the three courses. This is not a difficult course physically if you are in any type of shape at all. My son was 11 and I was not nervous or watching his every move. It was just an enjoyable course to do together. Zane was a terrific guide! Indeed, Son, H and I all loved the course which was a separate price. (We were able to get a two for one deal on Living Social- daughter was not tall enough so we took turns with my son on separate days).

Paddle boarding at the lake was also fun with an additional cost of $7 a half hour no instruction just a life jacket and pat on the back good luck.

Food in the lodge dining room was really fresh, delicious and plentiful. If you couldn't find a certain food on the buffet or menu at breakfast or lunch the kitchen was more than willing to make something you desired. For my son it was a big bacon cheeseburger which wasn't offered the day he wanted it. Indeed, the wait staff couldn't have been more pleasant and accommodating, especially Major our main server for the week.

Saturday hayride and picnic by the lake was very enjoyable and a nice way to start our vacation.

We enjoyed the piano and tea time in the Pine Room which to me was comfortable but not shabby as some have written.

I felt very safe at this hotel and we allowed our children to leave the dinner table when finished to join others their age for the downstairs game room which included ping pong, mini golf, some video games and pool tables that cost a bit of extra money.

Cons:
Janet at the front desk is extremely rude. No pleasantries when I walked up to check in. Instead she looked at my reservation slip through Groupon and down at my daughter and announced that my reservation was only for two adults. I explained to Janet that I was not surprised since many on Trip Advisor complained about the problems with their reservations so in order to combat this issue I had called and spoken to Douglas Hustaud's secretary- twice -to confirm the size of the room I reserved and the amount of guests. I informed her that I had prepaid through Groupon for four people and that she better not put further charges on my bill or I would speak to her personally at check out. Janet had nothing more to say but when we walked away from the desk my daughter was upset about how we'd been treated. I will be writing personally to the new manager of the hotel since Janet's front desk rudeness has been written about more than once on this site for the Skytop management to see.

Room was not properly cleaned. When were able to get into our room and unpack we found a pair of dirty socks under a chair and lacey black underwear under dresser. Both would have been found if the room had been properly vacuumed before our arrival. The rest of the room appeared clean but I was still skeeved.

Sofa bed squeaked every time my husband breathed so in order to get a good nights sleep he finally just moved to the floor. If we go again we will bring our aero bed. Luckily, the king bed had an actually king mattress and was very comfortable. But what kept waking me up was the air conditioner's loud noise every time it kicked on.

Shower pressure was extremely bad at times which I don't usually complain about but it was so bad that we almost resorted to rinsing the shampoo out of my daughter's hair in the sink. Also, at times, I needed to let the shower run a good 5 minutes until it wasn't freezing although I just hate wasting water it was unbearable cold. With such limited breakfast times (7:00-9:30) you needed to get moving in the morning or you would miss the breakfast you had paid dearly for in the room rate.

Tea Room makes the downstairs and stairway smell like grease -which is not very pleasant. Staff were not very polite. One day we missed the lunch times in the dining room because staff at the Adventure Center changed our 3 hour adventure course time at the last minute. My husband made me a chicken ceasar salad at the lunch buffet but we went to the tea room to get my son's lunch rather than have him eat cold food. But, the servers in the tea room wanted me to pay for his lunch even though it was not our fault we missed the lunch buffet. I had to go to the dining room manager and have him ok the no charge for my son's meal.

Adventure Course is fun, but as others have written, they are disorganized so beware you're reservation may not exist when you arrive. In an attempt to combat this problem, I twice confirmed my son and H reservation with a nice girl at the adventure center (I can't find her name now). Unfortunately, when they arrived for their scheduled time there was no reservation -but luckily, since it was the first slot in the morning and a guide was there They were able to go just the three of them. Because it was only them and the guide, the course took only 1 1/2 hours. Later on in the week, I went with my son and we had a full group of 12 so it took the entire 3 hours. I'd say try and make reservations prior to your stay but based on my experience that may or may not ensure a spot.

Spa was dreary and deserted. Technicians are employed from an outside agency that staffs three places- Skytop being one of them. So I guess each technician brings their own tools for mani/pedis. Indeed, the rooms were empty of people and equipment. While the boys were on the tree top course I made reservations for me and my daughter to get pedi/manis together. This confirmation was received via email so I did not call the spa back to confirm. However, they did call me the day before to inform me that due to an emergency we could not have our appointment together but one after the other. In hindsight, I'm not sure why they couldn't simply call the agency they use and try to get a different technician. Just another example of lack of customer service at this place. Technician- although very friendly -did not seem to know what she was doing nor where she placed the things she needed. Also, she did not seem to know how to work the chairs and lights in the room. To be fair, I did hear some guests at meals raving about their massages but don't come here for a full spa experience.

Shuttle is available to take you around the property but ensure you call for it early if you have a scheduled appointment because there is no rush on the drivers part for prompt pick up and you are not likely to be taken directly to your destination if others are also in shuttle van.

Check out lines were extremely long the entire time we were there. Taking a tip from the front desk clerk I reviewed and paid my bill after breakfast on our last morning. Thankfully there was no line and the bill was correct -surprisingly. Anything I purchased thereafter we paid for since we couldn't charge it to our room. We then dropped off the keys with the bellman at 1:00 check out with no hassle.

I would like to return to take my daughter on the adventure course when she's tall enough and see some of the water fall and glacier pond that we missed. It looks like it would also be a nice place to visit in the winter with all sorts of different activities but we would only stay at the more reasonable discounted rate and we will bring our aerobed!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
14  Thank mchg4
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is a great place for kids and adults! They even have a spa (it costs money). It has a HUGE range of things to do: biking, swimming, lawn bowling, archery, rock climbing, zip lines and others. Whenever I come though there is a wedding.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I purchased a groupon for this hotel ($920 for 2 nights). I was looking forward to a relaxing getaway. When we went to check in we were advised that "since we booked through a 3rd party we were bumped out of our room into a less expensive room," The room I booked had a balcony and the room they offered did not and was in the older building. I called Groupon and they advised that we are guaranteed the room that we book at the time. After several frustrating attempts at speaking with a manager we decided to cancel the entire thing (including an additional $250 in massages) and move on. Groupon was fantastic and refunded the entire amount. The staff at Skytop Lodge was extremely rude and not even a bit accommodating. The hotel is very stale and dated. The staff and the buildings need a complete renovation!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank MariaMager
Reviewed September 9, 2013

First with the positives...the grounds of this hotel are beautiful - wedding picture beautiful - and the staff is very friendly. But the room...

This was by far the worst room I've stayed in for a "4*" property. I booked this room via Jetsetter, based on Jetsetter being a "luxury" discount hotel provider. I read the reviews for Skytop and found them to generally be positive. It must really depend on what room type you reserve because this room was HORRIBLE. It was small - I mean close to Manhattan small - but not nearly as posh or stylish as the small hotels I've stayed in Manhattan. We had a 19" Quasar TV/VCR combo as our tv - who still has this? The bed was so creaky I almost woke up every time my husband rolled over or sat down. If I booked through the hotel I would've demanded a refund on the spot. There were no other room types available due to a golf tournament and wedding in town - we had a Queen bedroom. I was looking for a non-cheesy (read champagne tub and heart shaped bed) 4* hotel in the Poconos which this was supposed to be - but the grounds and friendly staff cannot be what gets this hotel a 4* rating. I've stayed at a nicer Holiday Inn Express. I was not expecting experiences that I've had at various Four Seasons, but this could've been a Motel 8 with a pretty garden and golf course as far as I'm concerned. I realize the building is historic, but do I have to see the plumbing for the retro-fitted sprinkler system run throughout the building behind a plastic casing? How tacky is that? The sink in my bathroom was cracked and there were hairs in the shower that were not ours - huge pet peeve - GROSS!

The main lodge had 1 slow elevator - for staff and guests and it maybe fit 4 people comfortably without luggage. As a pregnant woman, I took the stairs more often than not which was an inconvenience in itself. I passed another pregnant guest struggling up the stairs to avoid the long wait on the single elevator.

Also, although I had no problem with the food quality or service, the breakfast hours were terrible. 7 am - 9 am? If I am on vacation, why should I have to get out of bed so early to eat? Those are the hours for a free breakfast at a cheap chain hotel for business travel, not a resort. I did not want to give the hotel any more money by having any more meals there - breakfast was included in our package so we ate all remaining meals off property. If you want to do anything that's not on the resort be prepared to drive - but that's fine, that's what you expect in the mountains.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank MGK16
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was going to write an objective review describing the beautifully-manicured property and views, the broad menu of fun activities, the so-so cottages, and the less than stellar customer service. I was going to give the place 4 stars (really 3.5).

Then, I checked my credit card balance to pay the 1-night stay we had. One. Night. Turns out instead of charging me $366.28 for the night, I was charged $36,628.00.

I repeat. I WAS CHARGED $36,628.00 for ONE NIGHT.

I thought the customer service was bad due to several small booking mistakes and mix-ups, but this is horrible. We will never stay here again.

Room Tip: The cottages are expensive and not very nice. But they were convenient for us - 3 separate families...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank drosen81
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear drosen81,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the billing issues you experienced. This does not represent the normal level of service at Skytop. The charge on your bill was promptly corrected and we have addressed this issue with our front desk team to ensure that our processes are streamlined going forward.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Skytop.

Warm regards,

Douglas Hustad
Vice President & General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!