“Expected a lot more” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Royersford, Pennsylvania
“Expected a lot more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

I purchased a Travelzoo deal for a 2-night stay at Skytop Lodge back in June of 2013. The promotion was about 64% off the actual value. The reviews on Tripadvisor were decent and so I decided to give it a try. We have recently cruised and loved the experience of having meals and most of the activities included in our rate. The Skytop deal was a good opportunity for us to try out a 'cruise on land' experience.

We are a family of four with one child who is over 12 years old. I purchased the 2-night stay at $398 plus two vouchers for an additional child over 12 for $45 per night. Our total Travelzoo purchase was $488.

There are additional charges on top of this, which we paid directly to the hotel at check out.

15% Gratuity
6% State Tax
1.5% Local Occupancy Tax

The additional charges for our 2-night stay was $89.56. Our total expenses were $577.56. The deal also included a $10 per day activities credit, which we did not end up using.

The full details with pictures and links to the Lakeview Dining room dinner menu and activities with details and pricing for the week of our stay can be found on the blog:

Our Experience
Included in our stay:

- Lodge mini-suite with a king sized bed and full sized pull-out sofa bed. The room was definitely plenty of room for 4 people.
- Three meals per day for everyone. We had dinner at the Lakeview Dining room where jackets are not required. The Windsor Dining room required men to wear jackets (they have them available to borrow if you did not bring one), which was not our style as we prefer to be comfortable.

- Activities that were included at no extra charge like archery, outdoor mini golf , volleyball, horseshoes, and other activities and presentations for the days that we were there like the wilderness survival guide and frog hunt. There was also mini-golf and ping pong tables in the arcade room on the first floor.
- Use of the indoor and outdoor pools, slides and trampoline at the lake, and shuttle service throughout the property

Extras:

- All games at the arcade, including the pool table and air hockey table.
- Pretty much everything listed on their Activities page: Rock climbing, kayaking and canoeing, bike rentals (or you can bring your own), paintball, geocaching ($10), shooting, lawn bowling, tennis (they let you borrow the racquets and tennis balls but there is a $10 court fee), and s'mores for the campfire (you can purchase them for $6 for a small bag at the Tea Room, or bring your own).
- Other activities that you can book through their Adventure Center such as the treetop adventure course and laser tag.
-Golf and fishing lessons, rock climbing sessions, and arts and crafts.

The Main Lodge:
Front Desk
Check in is at 4 pm but we were told that early check in is possible as long as the room is ready. We arrived at the lodge at around 2:30 pm. The main reception area itself was a good size but the front desk is tiny. There were two people at the front desk to help. I was assisted by Jesse, who presented a very distant and not so welcoming presence. She was quite standoffish and not very helpful. I travel to different cities throughout the country every year and have experience with up-scale hotels and I was disappointed with my experience with the Skytop front desk staff. She asked me for my Travelzoo voucher print-out, which I was first confused about because I already gave them the unique voucher numbers when I checked in. Jesse pretty much demanded it (which I think could have been done in a more professional way) and ordered us to go downstairs to the Business Center to print our vouchers. Our room was not ready yet and we still needed our travel vouchers printed so we did not yet get our keys at that time.

I read on the website that there was tea time everyday and asked Jesse about the 'tea' time, I wanted to confirm time (4 pm) and to know where it would be held. Jesse responded with a very condescending tone and said, "Is that your 'tee' time?" I then realized that she misunderstood my question for a golf tee time and clarified my inquiry. She had an attitude that she did not want to be bothered with questions and did not readily offer information about the meals and what we need to know even though I told her that this was our first stay. Again, not what I would expect from the front desk staff, whom I think are integral members of the team as they are the front line staff and often are the ones that provide the first impressions with guests.

Another front desk staff, Monica, helped us when we came back after printing our vouchers. She was much more professional, personable, and helpful than Jesse. Monica helped us in a way that I would expect front desk members to do. It took her a little while to find our keys as there must have been a mix up when Jesse first gathered our info. Monica was pleasant and explained the meals to us and answered questions that I had without making me feel that I was bothering her.

Business Center
It took us about 25 minutes to print out 2 vouchers at the Business Center. The computers were very slow in processing and internet connection. The room was very small and dingy with average inkjet printers. It wasn't something that I would expect for this type of place especially because they host conventions and meetings. The Lodge's business center was disappointing compared to many hotels that I have been to for conventions that have more updated equipment.

Activities Desk
Our first impression with the Activities desk staff was also not so favorable. There were three staff members at the desk chatting and my husband was waiting in line for his turn. No one at the desk acknowledged him and they just kept chatting. My husband tried to get their attention but they proceeded to ignore him.

Rest of the Staff
Because of our experience with Jesse at the front desk and the activities desk staff, we asked to speak with a manager to address our concerns. We had only been there for about 30 minutes and were already ready to leave because of the staff. It took about 10 minutes for someone to come out, which ended up being the assistant manager because the manager was not available. We discussed our concerns with her and she was apologetic and answered more of our questions about the facilities and activities.

Other than our experience with Jesse and some of the activities desk staff, the rest of the staff members were very professional and accommodating. It is a shame that some staff members just ruin it for the rest of the group, first impressions always last with me and my first impression of the lodge was unfortunately very poor. The bell hops, other front desk and activities personnel, facilities and dining room staff were all great. The staff that we interacted with and made an excellent impression on us were: Jeff from the Lakeview Dining room, Tim our bell hop, Mason from the Windsor Dining room, and Rick and Cheyenne from the Activities desk.

Windsor Dining Room
Breakfast and lunch are served buffet style at the Windsor Dining room. You also have an option to get a bag lunch to take with you on a picnic. Teas, coffee, danishes and fruit are also available right outside of the Windsor Dining room during breakfast.

Tea Time
A selection of Tazo teas, lemon/lime water, pink lemonade, and assortment of cookies are served daily at 4 pm in the Pine Room, which is in the main lobby. Note that the lines get long because there is only one table for the teas and cookies and another table for the lemonades, water, and cookies.

Mini Suite (King)
We were in room 411, which overlooked onto the South porch (a really beautiful view). The room was clean. There was a Keurig coffee maker with some pods, cups, and sugar and cream. We did not get our supplies adequately replenished the next day as we did not receive more cups or enough coffee pods (only had 3 instead of 4). The sofa was older and the throw pillows were pretty flat. There were also stains on the sofa cushion. There is no in-room safe or refrigerator. The bathroom had enough room, although the toilet paper holder was placed in an awkward spot under the pedestal sink and our toilet was wobbly.

Overall, the Main Lodge had its charms but parts of it needed some repair and updating.
The Inn:
Lakeview Dining Room
We had dinner at the Lakeview Dining room for both nights. Jeff, who was our wait staff the first night, really saved the day for us after our unfavorable experience. He was so accommodating and attentive to our needs. Jeff went above and beyond to make our dining experience extremely pleasant. The food was great and we enjoyed our meals. They had a kids' table that had pizza and other desserts or the kids can order from the regular menu. The dinner menu was the same for the two nights that we were there. Each person got to choose an appetizer, soup or salad, main dish, dessert, and non alcoholic drinks that were included in the meal plan for the Travelzoo deal. The portions were generous and we never left hungry.

Summary
Overall, we were satisfied with our experience at Skytop. I would have expected a lot more from the place, however, especially based on how much it costs to stay there. I was glad to have been able to try out the lodge at a discounted rate. I don't know if what we got was really worth the retail value of the package without the discount. It was nice to try it out but our overall experience with unfriendly staff did not make me want to consider going back. Based on what we are looking for for a family vacation idea, my family would rather spend the money towards another cruise.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Fre S
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Fre S,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay at Skytop and that your accommodations and dining experience exceeded your expectations. Monica, Jeff, Rick, Cheyenne, Tim and Mason are great ambassadors for Skytop. I shared your comments with them today and they are pleased that they made your stay more enjoyable.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lapses in service you experienced during your visit. This certainly does not represent Skytop’s standard of quality. Please be assured that corrective measures have been put in place to ensure that our normal excellent service standards are adhered to.

I would like the opportunity to speak with you regarding your stay. Please contact me at (570) 595-7401 at your convenience. I trust that we will be able to regain your confidence in Skytop.

Vice President & General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Polish first
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Had a great few days at Skytop lodge during our team building event. Everything from the meeting rooms to the Tree Top adventure course was great. The main lodge is as beautiful as the grounds and surrounding views. Perfect place to get away from the office and refocus. The staff was always helpful and great to work with.

Room Tip: Rooms at the inn were very comfortable, had a nice fireplace, couch, chair and a balcony. Beautiful...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Kevin G,

Thank you for providing feedback with respect to your recent stay. Skytop is an ideal venue for corporate team building. We provide a range of options to corporate groups throughout our 5,500-acre estate. Skytop’s unique location and offerings by our Adventure Center allow us to accommodate each group’s needs.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop soon.

Collingswood, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

This was my second time back. Had a nice time last year. This year we were given a "queen room" that was tiny. We had a 13" tv that was in a cabinet that was to the side of the bed. The front desk girl, dont know her name, young, tall thin blonde. was very rude and lazy. For her to do anything for you was an effort. On the other hand, the evening desk staff was excellent. The lifeguards and and the woman at the pool who sold drinks were fantastic.

Overall the grounds were beautiful. I was surprised to find the outdoor pool dirty. Many leaves on the bottom of the pool and the water was freezing. I thought it was heated? Most guests used the indoor pool.

The Orvis store by the lake was missing half the inventory it had last year, not sure if they are shutting it down or just ending their relationship with Orvis. Had been looking forward to shopping there.

Overall, the property is gorgous and is worth a one time trip. But know what you are getting before you lay out the big bucks. Our one night stay with breakfast included was over $370.00, that was for myself and my 10 yr old son.

Last comment from a single dad who worries about his son constantly, the outdoor swimming lake is a lot of fun but if your kids are not good swimmers I would not recommend they swim out to the slide and trampoline. Its a far swim and the water is over 20' deep. As I said before, the lifeguards are fantastic and they have two at the lake but in my opinion still not safe unless you are a very good swimmer. Kids that swim behind the slide can't be seen by the life guards and if you dive under the water you can't be seen until you come up. Watch your own kids, dont count on the lifeguards.

Room Tip: The lodge is nice since you are close to everything but be prepared for old, small rooms that havent...
5 Thank edman62
Dear edman62,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your kind comments regarding our grounds and the service provided by our evening Front Desk team and pool staff.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties you experienced during your stay. Please contact me at (570) 595-7401 to discuss your stay. I welcome the opportunity to regain your confidence in Skytop.

New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We have stayed in that hotel for 3 nights. And it was so-so.
PROS: ground was above any imagination. Very good service
SO-SO: food, room, pool
CONS: VERY OLD BUILDING AND BECAUSE OF IT NO REFRIGERATOR, COFFEE MAKER,
OLD FURNITURES, ETC. A lot of additional payments and not cheap or average ones.
An entertainment is for young people only and there were nothing to do in the evening
but drink

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank insklya
Dear inskyla,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay at Skytop. I agree that our team provides excellent service and that our grounds are kept in top condition by our grounds crew.

Please accept my apologies for the conditions you found in your room. We will be sure to take your feedback into consideration in the future redesign of our guest rooms.

We do offer nightly entertainment for adults in the Tap Room as well as family-friendly activities for all ages such as our evening campfire with s’mores.

I hope to welcome you back to Skytop.

Sturbridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

The hotel and grounds are beautiful. There is so much to do! The food is excellent. The shining stars are the staff, always smiling and always available. The attitude is definitely contagious, because we smiled the whole time we were at Skytop. Dwayne, one of the bellman, and probably the first person you will meet upon arrival, is extremely friendly. You car is unloaded and your bags are in your room in no time at all. Check-in was quick, room was pretty, clean and comfortable. The food is very good. I particularlly enjoyed the lobster bisque and the crab cakes. Waitstaff were wonderful. Jessica, our evening waitress, was fun, friendly, informative and efficient. Our hiking guide, Zach, was extremely friendly and a pleasure to hike with. We hiked to the gazebo (parts were very steep) and enjoyed a box lunch and a great view. There are so many activities, it is hard to squeeze them all in. My teenage daughter enjoyed the Zipline. She is very athletic, and said it was strenuous, so you should be in relatively good shape if you are going to try it. Zipline staff was excellent, and made sure she was outfitted correctly (bring gloves) and held a 15 min training session before taking the group up to the zipline. We booked thru Jetsetter, and got a great bed and breakfast rate. However, you can book packages which will inclue all meals and some or most activities. It is probably best to call Skytop direct to get the plan that works for you. Breakfast is at 7 am and ends at 9, so be there early. The breakfast buffet is very good, lots of choices and eggs made to order. Dinner is great! You must dress up (men need jackets) and make a reservation, The dining room is huge, with large windows and lovely views of the grounds. Electronics/phone use is not permitted in the dining room (although we did see some guest texting, etc) . It was great to eat dinner without listening to someone yakking on their cell phone. Our room was on the small side, we had a king bed, and a rollaway for my daughter . Larger rooms are available. The bathroom is also small, but it is a very old hotel, and that is to be expected. It was immaculate and in very good condition. We spent very little time in our room, so it was not an issue for us. The activity prices were reasonable. I believe bike rentals were $14/hour, Zipline was about $40, shooting was $45. We also paid for archery and lawn bowling, but I think some of would have been included, if we had purchase an all inclusive package. We thoroughly enjoyed out stay and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Our A/C was a bit loud at night, so we turned it off and opened the 3 windows instead. I am sure man...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear lucymcgil,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that we were able to exceed your expectations.
Dwayne, Jessica, Zack and our entire team work diligently to provide world-class service to our guests. I shared your comments with our team today and they were glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope to welcome you back to Skytop soon.

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

A gorgeous lodge with meticulously maintained gardens and grounds. It is clear that service is a high priority here as every staff member we encountered was extremely friendly and courteous. From the bellmen to the security guard to the waitstaff in the restaurants, we were welcomed and treated well.
If you like to hike, the many trails are beautiful, peaceful, varied in difficulty and well maintained. You can really get away as none were crowded at all. Daily activities are offered and though many require an additional fee, many (tea time, board games, putting green, indoor mini golf, croquet lawn bowling) are included. The large porch with its many rocking chairs s a great place to read, relax and chat with old friends and new.
Only disappointment was breakfast buffet. Food quality was good, but eggs, home-fries and sausage were all cold, even when it came right from the kitchen. Fruit was good.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JackInBrooklyn,

Thank you for sharing your feedback in relation to your recent stay. Our grounds crew works hard to preserve and maintain Skytop’s grounds in excellent condition.

Thank you for the kind comments regarding our team. Skytop strives to maintain a level of world-class service, from the welcome by our bellmen and attentive dining service to the friendly check-out at our front desk.

I look forward to meeting you on a future visit.

Monmouth Junction, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

We found Skytop Lodge through a Travelzoo deal. We booked 2 nights during the week because the weekend we wanted was already full. We stayed at the Inn rather than the Lodge. Pulling up to the Inn was rather disappointing because we had stopped at the Lodge first. In comparison, the Inn looked rather unimpressive. However, we were pleasantly surprised by the room. While small, it was pretty clean and had a nice view of the lake. The biggest downside to the room was that the balcony was shared with a few of our neighboring units. There were no dividers, so people could walk up to each other's windows and doors to look inside.

The staff was friendly and helpful, but not always on the ball. My wife and I are on a gluten free diet. We mentioned this when booking our stay, but that didn't save us from having to mention our special requirement at every meal. When we did, the staff was very helpful and accommodating. The chefs came out to discuss which items were OK for us. One time, I mentioned our requirement when reserving a slot for dinner, but that didn't stop them from running out of gluten-free bread. The chef was apologetic and made us fried potato chips as a substitute. That same meal, the chef missed that couscous wasn't gluten free. Once again, the chef was apologetic and sent out a replacement. Despite these hiccups, we found the dining experience to be very good as a whole. The food was really good. In fact, I regret opting for a lunch hike to Campbell's view one day because we wound up with just sandwiches for lunch. The view wasn't impressive enough to make the trade-off worthwhile.

There were many activities on site and the facilities were very nice. Some of the activities in the main campus have a cost, such as rowing, shooting, and renting mountain bikes. The vast majority, along with necessary equipment, were free, including ping pong tables with plastic paddles, mini-golf, volleyball, horse shoes, croquet, a putting course, and even archery. The Lodge has an indoor as well as an outdoor pool, neither of which were special. The grounds are huge, so the free shuttle service is extremely helpful. The Adventure Center is outside of the main campus and offers zip-lining, obstacle courses, rock climbing, and paintball, but none of which are free.

On our checkout day, there were a few more hiccups. The meal plan included through our Travelzoo vouchers entitled us to 3 meals per night of our stay. Breakfast was supposed to be our final meal, but there was a mix-up and we received a bill for $67 for 2 adults and 2 kids. The mix-up was cleared up by our helpful server. At check out, they missed that we had purchased and presented 2 vouchers for our elder child who was too old to be free. That was cleared up quickly. They also missed that the Travelzoo voucher entitled us to some credits towards activities. That was also cleared up pretty quickly. It took quite a bit more time to clear up an Adventure Center charge that we never incurred. We took the kids Rock Climbing, which showed up on our bill legitimately, but there was a further charge for the Tree-Top Course, which we didn't do. That took longer as calls had to be made to the Adventure Center staff to confirm that we indeed did not do the course nor failed to cancel a reservation for the course. Overall, it took about half an hour to clear it all up. Also, they put about $30 per night for gratuities. Keep that in mind when deciding on what to tip the staff.

5 Thank Yuan T
Dear YuanNek29,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you found your accommodations to be comfortable and that you were able to enjoy many of our activities.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties you experienced at check-out. I am glad to know that our Front Desk team was able to resolve the issues to your satisfaction.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop again soon.

Vice President & General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
#1 of 1 in Scotrun
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,321 reviews

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!