“WONDERFUL!”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Reviewed July 29, 2013

As I am reading some of the negative reviews, I am scratching my head. My fiancé and I just returned home from this property. Pulling in, we were amazed. The property itself is BEAUTIFUL! From the second we got in the door, we were treated like royalty. Everyone from the bell hop to the housekeeping staff was friendly and helpful. I will agree that a few of the reviews in that we were not given much guidance. The hotel is huge and there are plenty of things to do in and around the grounds. I would have liked it if we had someone familiarize us with everything, but we managed. As far as dinner goes, YES all men are required to wear a suit coat. In all fairness, if you read the "attire" on their website you should have no problem (I don't know who would book a room without further investigating the hotel website.) As far as dinner goes, we made a reservation upon check in (YOU MUST DO THIS!!) and we were seated promptly. We were in the main dining room for over 2 hours and we were not rushed AT ALL! The service was phenomenal! We had an all inclusive package which we did through expedia, that included everything but our alcoholic beverages (yes, drinks are pricey.) There was a bit of confusion matching up out itinerary information since we booked through expedia, but it was sorted out in a timely manner. I would defiantly recommend this to my friends and family. We had a wonderful time, and I do plan on going back again.

P.S. THE FOOD IN THE WINDSOR DINING ROOM WAS OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Angela61414
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Angela61414,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that we were able to exceed your expectations. I shared your comments with my team today and they are pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to meeting you on a future visit to Skytop.

Vice President & General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We chose this place because of a Groupon deal that included 2 kids under 17 at no additional cost (Please run that Groupon again next summer!) There was some trouble with the Groupon because there was no way on the Groupon site to indicate that we were bringing 2 kids when we purchased it so it printed out saying "2 Adults" and at checkout they tried to charge us an extra $90/ day for the 2 extra people in the room but after some discussion they were nice enough to believe me and remove the charge.
The place itself: The grounds are immense, gorgeous and immaculate. Beautiful views, lovely hiking trails with waterfalls and lots of flowers. Woodsy environment, clean air and beautiful lake.
The rooms: We stayed the first part in the Inn which I chose because , unlike the Lodge, the rooms have balconies with either views of the beach or the golf course. If you are bringing kids though the room is tight. We had 2 teenage boys and put one in the twin sofa bed and the other in the rollaway bed and when those were opened there wasn't much space left but the bathrooms are bigger at the Inn. Only the people in the actual bed can see the TV though.The rooms are clean and nice. Not modern but this is supposed to be an old-fashioned Lodge resort. We also stayed at the Lodge in a queen mini suite which I would recommend to people with kids because it is a big room. (Tiny bathroom though but again this is an old hotel). Loved the Keurig coffeemaker. Inn had frig. in room but a charge to get a frig. at the Lodge. Beds comfy. A/C not loud.
Activities: So much to do! Great hiking. My son and his friend loved the paintball game and the zipline obstacle course. Some wicked bruises he got from paintball but he said it was a blast. I wish the outdoor pool had a view. You would think they would have designed it to have one. Pool needs some maintenance but it was clean. Way too much chlorine in it though. My husband thought the golf course was gorgeous and challenging. We didn't use the spa. Boys did canoeing, archery, mountain biking, etc. and loved it all. They had fun also with pool table and ping-pong. The price for the non-included activities was fair. Oh, and the paddleboarding was a fun activity too. Liked the inflatables by the lake but the boys said the trampoline smelled like a wet dog. the cost of the extras for a 4 night stay between the 4 of us came to about $500 but most of that was golf and the paintball game and zipline course.
Staff: Every single employee was friendly and helpful. A shout out to Keira in the Lakeview Dining room for her great personality and also to Jessica, our regular waitress in the main dining room who was also great and has a good memory. Some of the staff get a little carried away on the golf carts and drive like maniacs. I actually saw one girl drive the cart into the building at the Inn. Calm down, people! Shuttle bus is convenient but nice to walk unless it's somwhere far like the adventure center.
Food: Oh my god the food! To think that a place that has food included in the price would serve such high end offerings. Wild boar, scallops, rack of lamb, and definitely get the chocolate obsession dessert. Ahi was great too. I was so tired of eating by the time I got home but everything was just so ggod. Even the lunch buffet had brisket, a chef making shrimp burritos, yummy soups, etc. Kind of a long wait for dinner in the main dining room but worth it. Remember to pack for the dress code at dinner. never made the breakfast buffet because I couldn't get going that early on vacation. Wish it ran a little later.
Nice gift shop with some reasonably priced cute things that weren't junky. Got stuck buying the $60 sweatshirt because didn't expect the cold weather based on the forecast. Nice benches to stop and sit at on the Indian ladder Falls trail which was more a road than a trail but there was an alternate way in that is an actual trail. The deer there are totally unafraid of people and don't even run when you come near them. paradise for them, I'm sure. Love the old world charm of the lobby but they should probably invest in reupholstering some of the chairs with dingy edges.
Congrats to the general manager on running such a fine place. We would love to go back. Would love to see a couple extra firepits like they have at the cabin for a family that may want to have their own fire instead of the communal fire. We had a wonderful time!!!

Room Tip: For more than 3 people in a room get a mini suite in the Lodge, otherwise get a room a the Inn for t...
3  Thank Amy K

Dear Amy K,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at Skytop with your family. Keira, Jessica and our entire team consistently provide our guests with exceptional service. I shared your comments with them today and they were pleased to know they exceeded your expectations.

I look forward to meeting you on a future visit.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had a midweek stay with my ladyfriend and the experience was positive with caveats. The positives: the grounds were lovely, sitting on the porch in a rocking chair a real pleasure, the available activities (nature walks, golf, fishing, boating, etc., etc., etc.,) endless and run by knowledgeable guides, the employees, personable folks who really seemed to like their jobs and be helpful, generous pours in the Tap Room, fine dinners given the mass produced nature of the food, great dining room service, a fun Saturday picnic, and a lovely little beach on a creek for swimming.

The negatives all relate to the actual hotel accommodations in the main lodge. To begin with, the room was small though, based on the maps of the building, by no means the smallest. I would estimate the room (not including a walk in closet or bath) was about 150 square feet. The bath was tiny with virtually no space for cosmetics and other bath necessities, no towel bars, no bathrobes (there would have been no place to hang them if there had been). The bathroom, while clean, was vintage 1970 with a rather funky shower control. Worst of all were the towels which were small and reminiscent of sandpaper. Breakfast and lunch were both buffets which are not my cup of tea but I would concede that for steam table food, the quality was okay and quite varied.

I was using a travelzoo coupon that cost me $200/night before service and taxes so I cannot complain about the cost which included 3 squares for two people. I would think twice, however, before paying rack rate which was quoted at $550. On balance, a positive experience but don't expect the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons.

Room Tip: Stay in the cottages, which I am told, are much more modern than in the main lodge.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear jagman8f,

Thank you for your feedback in relation to your recent stay. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay. I shared your kind comments with my team today and they are glad to know they exceeded your expectations.

Please accept my apologies regarding the conditions in your room. We will take your feedback into consideration in the future redesign of our guest rooms.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and 12 year old daughter and I just returned from a weekend at Skytop. The Lodge, the lake, the grounds and the atmosphere at Skytop in general are beautiful. There is an endless supply of activities for adults and children - we highly recommend the Treetop Adventure obstacle and ziplining course. It is more strenuous than it appears, however, and might not be appropriate for those with a fear of heights or who have not exercised regulalrly in a while. We stayed at the Inn and the room was clean, comfortable and nicely appointed. It also had a gas fireplace and a nice view of the golf course. All of the meals were tasty and there were plenty of choices. The staff is well-trianed, professional, and very accommodating - our server in the Windsor Dining Room was Dawn and she was excellent! All in all, we were extremely pleased during our first visit to Skytop and we plan to return in the future.

Dear MMurphy313,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at Skytop. I agree that the Treetop Adventure course is fun and challenging – it is a great family activity.

Thank you for recognizing Dawn as well as the rest of our team in their efforts to provide world-class service. I shared your comments with them today and they are pleased to know you had wonderful visit.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

The location and lodge is beautiful. All the staff is friendly, helpful and professional. But, don't expect award winning food, and you must rush to get to all the slotted time intervals to eat that are strictly enforced. The BIGGEST downfall is that no information about anything at the lodge is posted anywhere, you must ask to find out about dining, ask about every activity and pay, you must ask where anything is on the resort, you must ask about every detail of your stay. Be prepared to hit "0" many, many times. Terrible value for the price we paid. Will think twice about staying here again or recommending to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank Locutus64

Dear Locutus64,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I appreciate your kind comments regarding our team. They will be pleased to know you found their service to be exceptional.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties you experienced during your stay. We provide information onsite at the Front Desk and Activities Concierge and throughout the property. Our website also offers a great deal of information about activities and other details about our resort.

Please contact me at (570) 595-7401 to discuss your stay. I welcome the opportunity to regain your confidence in Skytop.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

The experience we enjoyed at Skytop was better than expected. The grounds are spectacular. This is a wonderful destination if you have children that are active and enjoy outdoor activities. There is no shortage of things to do in this regard and we have a list if things we want to do when we return. I agree wholeheartedly with something one of the other reviewers wrote- unlike so many other resorts, Skytop does not nickel and dime you for every little thing. The service is exemplary from the moment you are greeted at the door. I very much appreciate that a 15% gratuity is already factored in to the charge so I don't have to carry tip money ( although several of the staff merited it and I did so anyway ). The dining arrangements were great in that you dined at the same table for all your meals for the duration of your stay. We were never disappointed with the meal selections and we were happy we stayed active as a counter balance to the good meals we ate. (Especially good was the wide variety of fresh fruit that was offered. ). The overall experience can be summer up by saying it was an enjoyable and welcome step back to gentler and quieter times gone by. We will go back.

2  Thank DrPSDPM

Dear DrPSDPM,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Skytop offers an abundance of activities for all ages to enjoy in a beautiful, natural setting. As you noted, our Full American Plan offers a great value to families, as it includes accommodations, gratuity and three meals a day.

Thank you for recognizing the efforts of our team in providing world-class service. I shared your comments with them today and they were happy to know you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you to Skytop again soon.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Purchased a travelzoo and were unsure of what to expect! This place is NOT your typical "poconos resort." We felt like we stepped back in time to a place where manners count, hospitality rules and nature trumps technology. They didn't nickel and dime you for all the activities..my daughters loved the crafts and they were all under $5. Most of the activities were free and we LOVED the guided hikes by a naturalist. The staff (Jackie) is very knowledgable! Every single staff member was polite and friendly and accomodating..especially the front door staff (Dwayne you are so nice!) Don't know how they keep such a friendly demeanor all the time! We never touched our bags...they loaded and unloaded for us. Even the young teenagers who work there are friendly and customer oriented. The food is unbelievable...top quality, gourmet dining. Filet Mignon, NY Strip, seafood, all presented well and delicious. Loved the tea room, if you want a quick bite or delicious milkshake. Please don't change the charm or character this place has. The setting is pristine. Lakes, hiking trails, gardens are immaculate. The zipline treetops course was amazing fun! Only complaints I have are the bikes need some attention..we couldn't find one for my 9 yr old - either too big or too small. And the cots are terribly uncomfortable. Overall, I love love love this place and plan to come back again.

Room Tip: Cottages are private and roomy if you don't mind a short walk or shuttle.
2  Thank goodwhine

Dear goodwhine,

Thank you for your feedback. I agree that Skytop is an exceptional resort destination. Jackie, Dwayne and our entire team endeavor to preserve Skytop’s historic charm and natural beauty while providing our guests with world-class service. I shared your comments with them today and they were pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Vice President & General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
The Lodge at Woodloch

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!