“Beautiful property with wonderful staff”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
New York City, New York
“Beautiful property with wonderful staff”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at Skytop the week before the Memorial Day this year. The resort was very quiet and gearing up for the big weekend. We got to watch they plan tons of flowers. This was our 2nd time at Skytop. We brought our 1 year old daughter and the resort was great for her. She turned 1 the week we were there and they brought out a cupcake for her and the wait staff sang to her. It was very cute. I cannot say enough great things about the dining staff. They do everything to make all your dining experiences great. They brought out anything we needed for our little girl. The food is very good and made me almost feel like I was on a cruise. It's all included with your room fee which isn't cheap but they do feed you a lot. Keep in mind any alcohol is not included and they are making a nice mark-up on that. This resort is very family friendly and don’t make you feel awful when your toddler acts out at a meal. They do stick to the rule of the suit coat for dining so don’t forgot to pack. If you do don’t worry they will let you borrow one!!! They did provide us with a crib for our room and a small fridge for all our baby supplies.
We did have a rainy week. We made the best of it and had a great time. The property is very beautiful and very well maintained. We love going on walks around the lake and all over Skytop’s property. I'm sure as our daughter gets older she will get to partake in the the fun activities at Skytop.

Overall very beautiful property with wonderful staff that cannot do enough for you!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jerseyjenn
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear jerseyjenn,

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay. I am glad that you chose Skytop as the destination for your daughter’s first birthday celebration. We certainly have a wonderful team who provide world-class service for our guests. I shared your comments with them and they were pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay. Skytop is a beautiful place year-round and it is special in the spring. Our grounds team ensures that Skytop’s natural beauty is enhanced by careful tending to our trails and gardens.

We look forward to welcoming your family back to Skytop.

Vice President & General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Polish first
Glen Mills, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My family of 6 stayed at Skytop 3-25-13 to 3-28-13.
Found the food to be diner grade at best. Staff was rude and for the most part unhelpful (with the exception of Fernando our server). Our initial food server was so rude she found it necessary to tell us how many tables she was serving when we asked for choclate milk for my son.
Activities for young children were awful, unless you like to pay a premium price to have your children spend there time in afternoon coloring and play do sessions.
Pool water looked dirty.
Adventure center staff need a lesson in sensitivity training. My 10 ten yr old son left in tears.
Front desk peronsal were not welcoming in the least. Seemed to be just putting the time in.
We were so looking forward to this brief vacation. It was so bad we left a day earlier than our required departure date. Upon departure the front desk person responded with a simple "OK" when told why we were leaving early. It seemed failure was acceptable in this case.
We won't return.

10 Thank jamesv708
Dear jamesv708,

It was a pleasure meeting you throughout your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. I personally shared your feedback with our team. They certainly were very concerned that we did not live up to our mission of providing world-class service.

I will contact you and look forward to regaining your confidence in Skytop.

Philadelphia PA
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We have been visiting Skytop for many years and this trip provided a welcome respite and delightful service. We arrived to be greeted by Dwayne, the friendliest doorman on earth. Check in was easy and our two connecting rooms were comfortable and fresh. My husband and I travelled with our teenage son and two of his friends. Although our visit was between seasons, there was plenty to do for all. The boys were disappointed that there were no bike rentals ( although we were specifically assured by the concierge that they would be available ) but they made do with some wonderful hikes, skeet shooting and playing in the game room. Dining room service was much improved from our last two visits. The hotel provides an "American Plan" and guests sit at the same table for all meals. Dinner was lovely and the boys enjoyed dressing up for a change. I only wish we could have had the same server each evening. One of our servers, Jake, was just terrific and his replacement the following day fell short. We had great service from the wine steward, Tara. Her suggestions were right on the mark. By the last night one of the boys had developed a sore throat. Our busman, Mason, noticed this and on his own, fetched tea with honey. There were many instances of this sort of consideration on our trip. So why not five stars? Well, the concierge promised certain activities that were not available and there were certain opportinities missed. We signed up for a nightime hike that was really an embarrassment -- not enough lights and a muddy trek with no leadership. If only Skytop could fix those glitches, it would be tops.

Room Tip: 3rd and 4th floors have best views
1 Thank ssbPhiladelphiaPA
Dear ssbPhiladelphiaPA,

Thank you for sharing your feedback in relation to your recent stay at Skytop. We are fortunate to have such a great team – Dwayne, Jake, Tara and Mason each provide world-class service for our guests. I shared your comments with them as well as the rest of our team. They were pleased to know you enjoyed your stay.

Please accept my sincere apologies with respect to the bike rentals. We certainly should have been more responsive to your needs. I have discussed this with our Activities team to ensure that we anticipate our guests’ needs and continue to provide excellent service.

I trust that we will earn your “five-star” rating on your next visit to Skytop.

Westchester, New York, United States
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Our family of 4 just stayed here for 5 days. It's a bit of a mixed bag: there are a lot of great family activities in and around the lodge, the food is mostly just OK, the service is generally very good. We were "sold" a lodge room when we made our reservations that was supposed to be adequate for 2 adults and 2 kids. There is an additional $45 per child charge for this room. On arrival, the room was smallish, with a king bed, pullout sofa and option for a cot. Not adequate. The clincher was a depressing view of a roof with pipes and noisy HVAC mechanicals. Unacceptable! Why do hotels think it's OK to sell this kind of product? We spoke with the desk and were able to change to 2 adjoining rooms at the Inn near the golf course. Bottom line: much newer, nicer rooms with picturesque lake view for net of about $97 more per night (2nd room $187 plus tax etc but no child charge). It's a 5 minute walk to the lodge for meals etc. Also shuttle ride available.

The food: we're ex-Manhattanites so perhaps jaded, but Skytop valiantly tries to be world class with their food...the presentations are usually quite nice but the dishes (esp. meats) can be dry, gristly or over sauced. One notable exception: the last night I tried the ancho chili rubbed wild boar and it was excellent. The buffets are average, and the desserts are an orgy of sugar and gluten. One other note, although they state that at dinner, jackets are required for men, we noticed that the rule is not strictly enforced, with some men in jeans and casual shirts. C'mon, even Jack Nicholson had to wear a jacket at the crab joint in "As Good As It Gets"!!

Service is excellent and consistently friendly both at meals and all around the lodge, although at a few breakfasts the wait staff seemed to be sparse or overextended and we waited long times for service. The staff interacted in a fun way with our pre-teen son, helping to turn his crabby mood into smiles and laughs.

Activities: great hiking: check out the Leavitt Falls (stunning) and West Rim trails (amazing views). Treetop adventure: outstanding, well run and challenging! Dog sledding: fun & interesting but not the biggest bang for the buck...could have been longer. Ice skating is good.

Overall, this was a very good trip, we had a great family vacation even in occasional wintery conditions.

3 Thank tastydee
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear tastydee,

Thank you for providing feedback in relation to your recent stay at Skytop. I am glad to know that overall you enjoyed your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies, however, for the difficulties you experienced in connection with your room. I am pleased that our Front Desk team was able to suitably accommodate your family at the Inn.

I have discussed your comments regarding our dress code policy with our dining room managers. Skytop strives to maintain a sense of decorum. We will ensure that this policy is enforced in our dining rooms.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Arriving at this property is breathtaking - you know you are in for something special. The old world charm of a cavernous yet amazingly comfortable lobby is something just short of walking into one of the royal castles you see the queen going to in the country - not that I have ever been to a castle but this is what I would think it was like inside. Great couches and chairs, beautiful fireplace. I met up with colleagues and just basically lounged around down there. Views were great, the property spectacular. Rooms were very nice, unfortunately the heat was so intense and I couldn't turn it off so I had to have the windows open all night. Dinner in the formal dining room was great although I wish portions were larger - food was that good. Price was reasonable - fixed at $55 (approx.) a piece. App through desert. Not one complaint about anything from my colleagues - matter of fact all raves. Server and wine steward were exceptional. Staff wasn't overly knowledgeable about the town in which they were located so I couldn't find anyone to provide me with local info about things to do - guess the idea is to keep you fully engaged at the property. I have visited before to golf and trap shoot - booth Great experiences but this is my first time to stay and eat! Great PA treat. Saw lots of families having fun and couples enjoying romantic surroundings. Large enough not to bother anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank TeamPA
Dear TeamPA,

Thank you for providing feedback in relation to your recent stay. Skytop is a beautiful historic property. We strive to preserve our historic charm while adhering to the highest service standards. I am glad you found your dining experience to be exceptional. I will be sure to share your kind comments with our culinary team.

Again, thank you for your kind comments. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I bought the obstacle course/ ziplining on groupon and I when I went there it was a beautiful place. I was a little frightened to do a few things at first but our guide Ryan made me feel extremely comfortable. He helped me along the way just in case I needed it and my friend who I went with needed all the help he could get lol. We had a really good time. The obstacle course was very fun.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank AmberRose12
Dear AmberRose12,

Thank you for sharing your kind comments with me. Skytop’s Treetop Adventure course is one of our most popular activities. The treetop experience is enhanced by knowledgeable guides who provide a safe yet challenging journey through the course. Ryan exemplifies the qualities we seek in an Adventure Center guide. Each member of the Adventure Center team provides experiences for our guests that build confidence as each obstacle is overcome.

Again, thank you for your kind comments. I look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop.

Crosswicks, New Jersey
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We recently finished a 3-day stay at Skytop and enjoyed it quite a lot. We had mini-suite in the lodge with an adjoining room. The suite was nice and large so the whole family spent most of their "room time" there, with the kids sleeping in the adjoining room. March is the off season and when we checked in, there were only about 10 other cars in the parking lot. If you want a resort to yourself, this is the time to go.

The main lodge is a beautiful stone structure with slate roof. The main lobby (the Pine Room) is beautiful, as is the dining room. The grounds appear to be well maintained (there was snow on the ground when we went). Since it's an old building, it has some quirks. For example, heat is supplied by radiators and the room was a little stuffy, but that was easily cured by cracking the windows.

Skytop has lots of activities, even in March. My son and I had a blast on the tree-top adventure course. Chris was a wonderful coach/guide. The ice rink is large and my son and I had it to ourselves for an afternoon. We also went cross country skiing one day. My wife and daughter didn't like the skis so much so they took theirs off and walked while I skiied along. We also tool a walk around the lake, played ping pong and mini-golf, rented some movies, went swimming and hot tubbing, etc. Note that this was the off-season and many of the activities were closed. During the summer or winter, I think you could spend a week there and never do the same things twice.

One of the highlight activities for us was dog sledding with a woman who raced in the Iditarod. How often do you get a chance to do that?

The food in the main dining room is very good. In addition to the menu, they have a buffet during breakfast and lunch. Dinner was wonderful, although the menu didn't change much during out few-days stay.

It's important to note that Skytop maintains a sense of decorum. Men are expected to wear jackets to the dining room at dinner. You are expected to change out of your bathing suit before leaving the pool area. Basically, you'd be wise to have more pants than jeans and more collared shirts than tee shirts.

We weren't able to schedule a visit to the spa because we waited until our last day and the masseuse wasn't in that day.

Overall I had a wonderful time. My only complaint is that we didn't realize that most of the dining facilities were shut down for the season so the only real dinner option was the main dining room where you have to dress up. There was also a lot of maintenance going on while we were there (they use to shut down completely in March for this reason). The main kitchen was apparently closed, the bar was closed, and the lake house was closed (for the season). Skytop would do well to explain these things on the website or at the time of booking, just to ensure that guests bring appropriate clothes and expectations.

A word of advice, book your rooms by calling the lodge. We got our second room for half off through an unadvertised special. The rooms aren't cheap, but normally they come with a full meal plan. Equivalent food probably would have cost us $50-$100 per day per person. Overall I thought the price was quite reasonable.

Room Tip: lodge mini-suites are very large.
5 Thank dmh663
Dear dmh663,

Thank you for sharing your Skytop experiences with me. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay. Skytop is a wonderful family destination as we offer activities for the entire family to enjoy year-round. I am glad that your children enjoyed the Treetop Adventure Course. Chris is a great guide who ensures that each trek through the trees is safe and fun. Dog sledding with an Iditarod team is a truly unique activity that Skytop is proud to offer.

I agree that Skytop’s All American Plan offers families a great value, as three world-class quality meals per day are included in the room rate.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop soon.

Vice President & General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!