“friendly, beautiful but not restful”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were just there for the conference this past weekend. It was beautiful. The staff was very friendly, from the bellman, housekeeping, front desk, dining room. Our only complaint is that the walls are paper thin, and we felt like we shared a room with our "neighbors". We were up on the third floor and Saturday night there was music playing maybe down in the lobby or somewhere, not sure where..some type of entertainment going on...and we heard it on the 3rd floor as if it were right next door. The room was adequate. Wish there had been two chairs instead of one to sit in and the one chair was not comfortable, felt like I was sliding out of the chair the whole time trying to sit in it. Bathroom and tub very small as well, but on the positive, the room was clean, the lodge was very historic which goes right along with our taste. The other thing that was a "let down" was the food for the sweetheart dinner. The food was barely warm and portions very small, and for the cost, we had higher expectations, and on the positive the staff in the Inn was very pleasant and our waitress Raquel was extremely nice. So on the customer service range, I'd say it was Very Good...but on the accomodations considering the room we had and the fact that we had little or no sleep, and did not feel rested at all...considering we had a 5 hour drive each way...and really anticipated being able to a good night's rest..we would have to say Poor due to the noise level. Maybe if we had stayed in a cottage or in the Inn, we would have had a different experience. Thank you. The Family Life conference was excellent as always. This is our 3rd conference. Previously we attended in Portland, Maine and Nashua, NH.

Room Tip: 3rd floor in the lodge very thin walls, not restful
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank james728
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear james728,

Thank you for providing feedback in relation to your recent stay at Skytop. We are so fortunate to have such a great staff – from the bellman and front desk upon arrival to our housekeeping staff and dining room servers, we pride ourselves on providing exemplary customer service at every level. I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to Raquel and the rest of our staff.

I apologize, however, for not meeting your expectations with respect to your dining experience at the Inn. We will take your comments into consideration for future programming and this conference.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

The sporting clays course at Skytop Lodge is very well designed and the targets range from fairly easy to how in the world do you hit that! I have patronized this range on and off for the past eight or nine years and our group always has a good time.
Now for the downside. Since the husband and wife team (Alex,Jill) left to run another business(i think they also took all their range employees with them because we no longer see them,the retired cop always was entertaining.) a father and son team took over and the quality of service has hit rock bottom. I live rather close by and my friends and i have been told numerous times the clays course is closed or no trapper was available. Other times we were only given time to shoot one round of five-stand.The past few weeks we tried to make a shooting reservation and after leaving several messages without a return call i gave up. Our group of five avid sporting clays shooters have decided to spend our money at mid hudson sporting clays,lehigh valley sporting clays and dover furnace all of which are about a 90 minute drive from north west jersey opposed to 45 minutes to Skytop.
The management at Skytop should really look for more customer friendly
people to run their clays range(Bring back the old staff) as this father and son team are not good for the shooting sports or your resort!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank jim m

Dear jim m,

Thank you for providing us with feedback in relation to your recent stay at Skytop. Please accept my sincere apologies with respect to your unsatisfactory experience with our sporting clays. Today I spoke with the sporting clay team and shared your feedback with them. Please be assured that corrective measures have been put in place to ensure that our normal excellent service standards are adhered to.

If you would please give me a call at (570) 595-7401 I would be happy to speak to you directly to ensure that we regain your confidence in Skytop.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Recently stayed to celebrate a family vacation. We had 4 rooms. It was terrific for kids, from the activities including the snake feeding, ping pong, sledding, skiing, zip line and others. Staff couldn't have been nicer. Fun evening activities too. Had same waiter throughout and has great.
A very charming spot

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank Davido0823

Dear Davido0823,

Thank you for your kind comments in relation to your recent stay at Skytop. Skytop is an ideal location for a family vacation, as we provide an array of activities for each family member to enjoy. Participating in snake feeding with our naturalists is quite an experience for kids and adults alike. Skytop is so fortunate to have such a great group of employees who uphold the standards of world-class hospitality. I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to them as well. They will be pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope we can welcome you back to Skytop soon.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Ok All...I am an avid reader of trip advisor and have used hotels based on what everyone else has written. I am a 5 star fan..ie ritz carlton, grand floridian in disney etc. The food was as good as the reviews stated I would give it a 8.5 out of 10. the service was excellent. The resort amenities and activities were fulfilled as written before. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. yes a bit of modern is needed but I still am going back, Hey we are out side all day with plenty of activity and by 10 I am ready for sleep. The mountain is good for intermediate and the service and instructions as well as support is great. It snowed both days we were there and we had great time. Excellent for families. The Guests that were there were all of similar status ..
I think they do a wonderful job ..thank you sky top

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank tommyfresh

Dear tommyfresh,

Thank you for sharing your recent Skytop experiences with me. I am pleased that you were able to fully participate in the host of activities we offer. We have been blessed with great winter weather this season, which has allowed us to provide sledding, skiing and even tobogganing for our guests. I agree that our food is excellent. Our Executive Chef Steve Sundberg creates delectable seasonal menus. I will be sure to share your kind comments with him and our culinary team.

Skytop is a great family destination. I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

just back, heard great things, wanted to give it a try.

great place to get away w/ the family. place was surrounded by mountains, and plenty to do - whether it's ice skating, skiing, dip in the (indoor) pool.

my only issue was w/ the food. we did a special which didn't include the meal plan. i guess there was some conference there, and there was literally no choices outside of the main dining room. the two places they had on site were either not open or so busy w/ limited choices, made eating there a non-choice.

that's fine tho, i would highly rec the pour house down the block, and we did do brunch @ the lodge which was really good.

ppl there were very nice, and the shuttle came also instantly every time we called.

i'd also rec callie's candy kitchen and pretzel factory, also down the road, kids loved both (and so did the parents).

would def go back again, prob as much fun during summer and fall.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank margojon1
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear margojon1,

Thank you for your kind comments in relation to your recent stay at Skytop. We did host a large conference over the weekend of your stay but I am delighted that we were able to provide for your needs and that you had a chance to get into our little town of Mountainhome. We are so fortunate to have such great neighbors and we are delighted that you were able to support them. I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to the Pour House and Callie’s Candy Kitchen. They are both neat places.

We hope to welcome you back again in the summer when we have a boatload of activities. Again, thank you for your comments and have a great year.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed for a weekend in February. There are lots of things to do. We decided to go with the meal plan and the food was good. Rooms are small but well kept. The bathroom was clean but water pressure was constantly changing. This is an old hotel but overall we were pleasantly surprised. On a negative note we keep a lot of change in our car for parking and forgot to lock it up. On our return home we realized it had been taken and the only place we had been was the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Happytravelinfamily

Dear happytravelinfamily,

Thank you so much for providing us with your kind comments in relation to your family’s visit to Skytop. We are fortunate to have such a great list of activities for our families to enjoy and the weather this year has been truly cooperative. Throughout the entire winter we have been able to provide skiing, sledding, dog sledding, our fabulous toboggan run and many other activities. Please let me know if you are able to join us this summer to enjoy our many summer activities, particularly our new zipline. I am concerned about the missing change from your car. I will certainly discuss this with our valet staff. If you would like to give me a call at (570) 595-7401 I will be happy to discuss this with you.

I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay at Skytop. Hopefully we can welcome you back again.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We did our company retreat there and everything was perfect. I don't ski but that didn't matter as there were many other things to do and see. The rooms were clean, very important to me, food was excellent and the staff were all wonderful. I would highly recommend this place. The surrounding grounds were amazing. I would love to see it in the summer months when all things are in bloom.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Valerie M
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Valerie M,

I am glad that you had a successful company retreat at Skytop. This is really a perfect location to focus on team building, getting reacquainted with other members of your group and setting company goals and objectives. Hopefully on your next visit you will be able to enjoy some of the many activities that we offer with your family or friends. Also, I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to our staff. They will be delighted to know you had such a wonderful stay.

Have a great year!

President & General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!