“Outstanding accommodations and incredibly friendly staff. Took a group of students for three days. Marlene Chamblee is the BEST!”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

The absolute BEST ski resort I have ever been to. Excellent food, great rates, stellar accommodations and outstanding staff! Took a group of students for three days and the staff went out of their way to accommodate us. Marlene Chamblee, the shuttle drivers, wait staff, bell staff, and housekeeping were simply outstanding!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Taylor4585
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Taylor4585,

Thank you very much for your kind comments in relation to your recent stay at Skytop. We are so appreciative of our great staff, particularly Marlene. She and all of our staff – whether in direct contact with guests or behind the scenes – work hard to ensure that our guests have a great stay at Skytop.

I hope you have a great year and see you soon!

President & General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Polish first
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I traveld to Skytop Feb 24-26. We booked a room in the original lodge and had read reviews prior to booking regarding the rooms. We felt they were inaccurate. the lodge is historical and beautifully maintained. The rooms were small but had the charm of an era we no longer live in. We had everything we needed and found no fault with the accomodations. the pool and hot tub area were well maintained and the staff friendly and welcoming. The gym, although small certainly has enough equipment to keep anyone happy. We did utilize it in the morning and while we were there other guest arrived and the area remained uncrowded. There is a libraby and game (board) rooms and a huge lobby with all kinds of comfortable seating to enjoy quiet activities like reading. There is a large video game area and minigolf that many children were playing in whenever we walked through.
Meals were plentiful and tasty. Breakfast and lunch were buffet style(there was a menu for both, if you wish to be served) and included many offerings that were both healthy and prepared well. dinner was also tast and offered items that are both well known and slightly off the beaten path. Chicken, steak, or more adventurous entress such as grouper, wild boar, and others. Appetizers were delicious and varied and desserts were all delicious. They have a extensive wine list which my husband enjoyed and the recommendations of the steward were spot on. I recommend the Inniskillen ice wine for dessert-delicious.

We never ran out of activities. We hiked, swam, ice skated, and skied. The ski hill is perfect for just learning skiers, like my husband. Equipment rental is easy and the equipment is new and well maintained. Although the upper lift was not working, the lower hill provided plenty of good skiing and helpful friendly staff. The shuttle service is perfect when you are tired, but the hike around the lake is also a great way to get to and from the ski hill.

We did do some shooting on our final day and although it was my first time, I felt safe and secure and found the instruction and supervision to be excellent. Also, the view of the area from the shooting locationis outstanding.

Skytop is on the expensive end but the experience is well worth it. It is rare that you can find a place that gives you the option to relax and be so active at the same time. It is like stepping back in time but having all the comforts of the present.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lizard3733
Dear lizard3733,

Thank you for your very kind comments regarding your recent stay at Skytop. As you so eloquently expressed, Skytop is certainly a wonderful family vacation getaway. Easy to get to, gracious, elegant rooms, great food and a ton of activities to keep your family busy. But as you point out in your narrative, Skytop is blessed to have so many wonderful employees that provide true caring service in a genuine heartfelt manner for our guests. Virtually every Trip Advisor, guest comment card and email that I receive in relation to Skytop – good or bad – always comments on the great service that our guests receive. Our staff continues to make me so proud with the attentiveness to detail they provide our guests.

I do appreciate your comments. I hope you have a great year and hope to see you next Presidents’ Week!

Schwenksville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I just returned yesterday from our first trip to this resort and had to write a review. Everything about the trip was excellent. The service was excellent from start to finish. Every staff member that we encountered was friendly and helpful. My children thought Matt the bellman was so nice that they looked for him specifically to say goodbye before we left.

We are already looking forward to returning

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank springs222
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear springs222,

Thank you so much for the comments in relation to your stay at Skytop. I am delighted that you had such a wonderful visit. We do have a great crew that makes Skytop such a wonderful resort destination. I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to Matt as well as our entire staff. They will be delighted to know you enjoyed your stay.

Have a great winter and hope to see you soon!

New Jersey
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My husband and I went for a couple days midweek. Relaxed atmosphere; truly friendly, capable, helpful staff. Tobogganing was a lot of fun, and dog sledding with Kim Darst was a real high point. Very informative! Also had a couples massage at the spa -- very, very nice.

Food was fine. For a family place they really made an effort. Dinner was decent the first night (I chose the duck) and really good the second night (EXCELLENT lamb chops). They have a pastry chef and wine stewards on staff. Decent wine selection! Breakfast and lunch buffet offerings were varied and plentiful. Desserts were consistently good. Water glasses were always dirty -- like the dishwasher didn't do its job -- but everything else was fine.

It was a winter break week (and they were running a special: 20% off your stay, with free rental equipment for all winter activities) and there were tons of kids and families. Everyone seemed to feel at home and the place was big enough for all of us. Room was small but that was expected (I've read that's the case all over the lodge) but we had a nice big bathroom and everything was very clean. We also ice skated and did some x-country skiing. We've paid more for a lot less fun. We'll definitely go back :).

Room Tip: room 303 has a big bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ridgerover
Dear ridgerover,

Thank you very much for your kind comments in relation to your stay at Skytop. I will be sure to take time to pass on your kind remarks to Kim and our dog sledding team. As you know, their team participated in the Iditarod dog sled race. They bring a high level of enthusiasm and dedication to Skytop. We are fortunate to have such a strong pastry chef and a great wine steward on our staff. I will make sure that they are aware of your kind comments. I will also check our dishwasher to make sure it’s working properly.

I think the value of Skytop is its affordability for families, particularly when you include our meals and many of the activities we offer. I hope to have the opportunity to meet you on a return visit. Have a great winter and hopefully we will see you this summer.

Briarcliff Manor, New York
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We have visited a number of grand family resorts - Greenbrier, the Breakers, Sagamore, Otesaga - but we had never been to Skytop before this past week-end.

On the whole we liked it. The toboggan run was fun and nearly unique. The dog sledding lesson from Kim Darst was actually unique in this area and was instructive, fun and memorable.

The food was plentiful and good but not stupendous - although kudos to the chef in the Inn during our stay who turned out delicious veal chops and duck breast. We found the dining periods, particularly for breakfast and lunch very constraining (e.g.; ending breakfast at a vacation resort at 9:00 a.m. is a bit silly).

The room at the Inn was confortable and transportation (shuttle) to and from the lodge and other places on the property was acceptably prompt.

The main lodge is historic and obviously was beautiful in its day but it needs some updating in the public spaces which are showing too much wear. The staff was very friendly and pleasant, with few exceptions. My 12 year old very much enjoyed the laser tag and game room area (again, could be updated). We spent some time in the indoor pool which was adequate but, again, a bit dated.

Our last activity was the sledding hill, for which we'd assign low marks. The hill was inadequately groomed and maintained and I was not crazy about the hard fence posts surrounding hill - bit of a danger with that (p.s. as in the case of the tobagan, helmuts would be a good idea). I do not thinkit would be difficult to bring this up to snuff.

All in all, we had a good first experience and we will try Skytop again, perhaps in a different season.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Napawright,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experiences at Skytop with me. It is definitely an honor to be placed in the company of resorts like the Greenbrier, Breakers, Sagamore and Otasaga. Skytop is definitely a family resort and we are fortunate to have employees that offer caring service. I am delighted that you and your family had such a wonderful stay. We are always looking to update our guest activities. This summer we will focus on improving our sledding hill both as to the size and the length of the slope. We are working on our golf course to make improvements throughout our golf area. Additionally, we will be working hard to provide our guests with new gardens and plantings. With the snow that we have had this year we are expecting to have a great deal of flow in our waterfalls. This should be a spectacular year for hiking and biking along our 30+ miles of trails.

Thank you for your kind comments. I hope you have a great year.

northeast
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I was a little concerned reading the mixed reviews but I really wanted a fun winter escape and that's exactly what I got! The building is very impressive when you arrive - definitely oooo's and ahhh's as you approach. I opted for a room in the lodge for the charming historic experience - yes the rooms are a little small and can certainly use some updating but I felt it was part of the historic charm. I managed a peek into the cottages which are very spacious and have fireplaces as do the rooms at the inn.

I thought the food was quite good and loved the wine selection. My favorite part of this resort is that you are truly surrounded by nature and that is clearly the focus of fun. They have onsite skiing - not Telluride by any means, but fun and perfect for families especially for those just learning. They also have a great treetop adventure course that is open all year round (closes occasionally is there is too much ice) which is great fun and a great core workout! they have dog sledding (costs extra) and stunning nature hikes. Their naturalist Rick is adorable, funny and extremely knowledgeable. I love when I learn something new while having fun. But the best for me was the Tabbaggon run! This thing is so much fun - it's crazy fast and so exciting. I can remember tabbaggonning as a kid but I have never done it out of a shoot covered in ice - it was exhilarating!

Overall the price was not cheap but once I figured out what it would cost for a room plus meals plus all the fun stuff to do, I left feeling like I had gotten my money's worth and then some.

Room Tip: The more spacious rooms are in the cottages and at The Inn - all accessable with a shuttle or short...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank SirRead
Dear SirRead,

Thank you for sharing your comments in relation to your recent stay at Skytop. It sounds as though you were able to take advantage of the many wonderful family activities that we offer our guests. You are correct, our guest rooms are somewhat small in size but I feel as though it is compensated with the great outdoors that is right at your doorstep. We do have a full inventory of activities that keep most people busy from early morning to late evening, including not only our dog sledding and thrilling toboggan run, but also a list of other activities including downhill and cross country skiing, snow shoeing, ice skating as well as the opportunity to sit by a cozy fire in the late afternoon.

I am delighted that you and your family were able to enjoy Skytop and hope that we can welcome you back soon. Thank you for your comments and have a great year.

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is a place that looks grand as you approach from simple Pennsylvania mountain roads. It's a castle-like mansion nestled on a hilltop among the sprawling Pocono mountains. It has swimming, boating and hiking nearby and onsite in the green mountain area of eastern PA. Everything could be quite grand, except, in the end, the value just is not there. It has romantic potential (and there are lots of weddings as far as we could tell during our weekend stay) but the food is average, the room service charges are mandatory, the service in the restaurant is harried and less than friendly, and the rooms seem like they were last updated in the mid-1970s. It is clean and a good weekend trip away from the city, but the price tag when you check out makes you wonder why you did not get on a plane and go to Dublin, Vail, or Sedona.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gary F
Dear Gary F,

Thank you for your comments in relation to your October stay at Skytop. I am delighted that overall you had an enjoyable visit. The value of staying at Skytop is quite good, particularly when you consider that your stay at Skytop includes food and a number of activities that we provide for our guests. I realize that during the middle of October and during the height of the tourist season that we are quite busy with many guest activities, but I believe on the whole that with 5500 acres we are able to provide our guests with a great experience.

I thank you for your comments and hope that you will plan on visiting Skytop in the future.

President & General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
The Lodge at Woodloch
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!