“TOP NOTCH”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
New jersey
“TOP NOTCH”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My girlfriend and I went for an overnight retreat to celebrate our birthday's. We wish time allowed for us to stay more than one night, however we were unable. Here it goes.....

ROOM: King Room @ The Inn. Clean, spacious, not too extraordinary: fire-place was nice but couldn't figure out how to turn it on. Private balcony with view of the golf course was great. No complaints here. If you are a couple and would like some privacy Id suggest the inn over the main lodge.

FOOD: Food at all-inclusives can oftentimes suck. NOT HERE. From brunch in the Windsor room to dinner at the Lakeview Restaurant the food was top notch. I couldn't compliment it enough, even the buffets had high quality food, and were delicious (We ate dinner at the lakeview since it is a little more casual for dinner)

AMENITIES: They have so much to do here i wont even begin to try to list it all. Normally I like to be active but we stayed low key. You wont have a problem finding something to do.

SERVICE: Either the staff is very well trained or Skytop is very good at hiring or both: but every employee at the resort provided top notch customer service.

ESPECIALLY Robert. He was extremely friendly, helpful, informative, he went out of his way and always seemed pleased to help. Give him a raise, promotion, pat on the back, or something because he is very good at what he does. Our server for dinner at the lakeview was Claire and in the Windsor room James. Both need to recognized for their high level of customer service and friendliness, they were personable and awesome. Cookie in the deli was a sweetheart as well.

The only EMPLOYEE that i had a problem with was the bartender (I dont recall his name?) at the INN/LAKEVIEW. And I see I am not the only one because there is a very recent negative comment about him also. Simply put he was dry & unfriendly I asked for a glass of water and for what Im paying to stay there (+ the bottle of wine @ dinner), I don't think thats too much to ask for. Well apparently he did because his body language & demeanor made me feel like I was an annoyance, like he was bothered to help me. Later on my girlfriend went to the bar and she also had a negative experience with him.

OVERALL: It is definitely pricey but you get what you pay for....The skytop lodge is a fine establishment, with beautiful grounds & scenery, great food, and an excellent staff. Besides the bartender at the inn I have no complaints. I find it impressive that they cater to such a large demographic: a family with young kids, a couple in there late 20's (myself) or an older couple, all can find something to do. Many resorts will say that and fall short somewhere, not the skytop.

I most definitely will be back, except next time it will be for a few days so I can experience more of their amenities ;)

**HINT** Make sure you take elevator to the 4th floor, walk up the fifth and check out the observation tower. Great view from up there ;)

Room Tip: king @ the inn for a little more privacy and your own balcony/fireplace
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank p2daj
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear p2daj,

First, allow me to express a sincere happy birthday wish to you and your girlfriend. Skytop is honored that you selected our Lodge to celebrate your special day. In reference to our fireplace, the timer is located on the side of the fireplace. We should have pointed that out to you. In relation to our food and food service, we realize how important it is to serve a great meal to our guests. Our Executive Chef has been with Skytop for 25 years and continues to amaze me with his culinary achievements. We are fortunate to have him. We do have an ample supply of activities to keep you busy, particularly with our upcoming theme weekends and holiday celebrations. We are loaded with things to do. I am particularly delighted that you point out the service of our employees. We take a great deal of pride in the caring service that our employees provide for our guests as a statement of their true professionalism (I also will be sure to point out to the Lakeview bartender how important his contribution is to our overall effort). I hope you have a great fall and that we can welcome you back again soon.

President & General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Polish first
North Caldwell, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have been going to Skytop for at least 5 years. My wife and I love it, and so do the kids. I think it has the most beautiful surroundings in the Northeast. There are many activities including biking and boating. There are at least 50 bikes (Treks mostly) which is nice because we don't have to lug our own bikes there. We like the food and the rooms are very nice and clean. The only issue we had was a few weeks ago. In the past, the outdoor pool was always nice and warm. For some reason this year the pool heater was not on. The water was ice cold. When we requested it be turned on we got quite the run around. Many tales were spun but it finally came out that it was done to save money. After a bit of complaining it was turned on and warmed up for the next day. We plan on returning for our anniversary and again next summer. Ed, please keep the pool heated next summer. That is one of the best assets of your resort.

4 Thank Mark E
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Mark E,

Thank you for your nice comments in relation to your recent stay at Skytop. Your Skytop support is deeply appreciated. Unfortunately during your stay our pool heater malfunctioned causing us not to have the heater system working in the outdoor pool. It did take us two days to procure the necessary parts and repair the heating system. We should certainly have been more forthcoming with you. Our pools are always a big feature at Skytop. I can assure you it will be heated to the appropriate temperature next summer.

Again, thank you for your kind comments.

Jersey girl
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My husband & I recently stayed @ Skytop Lodge for 2 nights (3 days) with my 15 year old son & my 24 year old nephew. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. So much to do!! Yes, the place is a little stuffy, but that gives the lodge character. Getting dressed for dinner was a little inconvenient for the men (w/ jackets), but the appearance of the dining room was a welcomed change! I love no cell phones in the dining room. We elected the family fun package & took full advantage of it. Our family ziplined the obstacle course, played tennis, rock climbed, kayaked, played ping pong, pool, canoed, swam in the lake w/ the trampoline, played golf, horseshoes, badminton, paddle tennis, driving range - so much to do & so little time! Food was excellant & w/ 3 large "boys" in my family, the buffet for breakfast & lunch was perfect for them, while I ordered off the menu. Food over-all was excellant. Yes, the lodge does seem pricey, but you get what you pay for. Quality food & great service (especially Dwayne the doorman). We had a room @ the lake w/ a fireplace, fridge & balcony over-looking the lake. Beautiful. We loved dining @ the lake dining room. Our only negative, the Lake Inn bartender had a terrible attitude, like we were bothering him. He made horrible drinks. Guess he had a bad day. Drinks were almost un-drinkable. The golf pro was kind enough to waive the "no athletic shorts" rule for my son to play golf. We didn't see the rule in writing, just no jeans or cut-offs. Seems rather absurd for a 15 year old not to be able to wear athletic shorts, but they are trying to keep a certain decorum. Yes, we will definitely be back, we might just try this winter!!

Room Tip: Lake Inn rooms over looking the lake, but you'll either walk or take the shuttle to the main lod...
2 Thank Jerseygirlgirlfriend
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Jerseygirlgirlfriend,

From reading your comments, it appears that you packed a whole list of activities in a two-night stay. It sounds as though every member of your family had a great experience. From ziplining to golf to horseshoes to tennis, I am not sure how you were able to pack all of these things into your two-night getaway! You are certainly a family on the go and I am glad that we were able to keep you properly nourished during your stay. I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to all of our staff, particularly Dwayne. I will also address the issue that you encountered with our Lake Inn bartender.

Thank you again for your kind comments. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Chatham, New Jersey
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Found out about this place while looking for a last minute replacement to a cancelled trip to DR thanks to Tropical Storm Issac. What a fantastic plan B. The service is unbelievable. Perfect from beginning to end. The food was delicious. The grounds are breathtaking. My husband and I had so much fun hiking, doing the treetop obstacle course and ziplining, swimming, and just hanging out. It was like a time warp, but in a good way. Everyone went out of their way to ensure we had a good time.

My only suggestion is that the website indicate that reservations are needed for dinner and the men need jackets for one of the restaurants. This turned out not to be a problem because they had jackets to lend out, but my husband felt a little uncomfortable at first. Maryann, the night manager, was fantastic and explained everything to us in detail.

The Treetop Adventure Center was great, however, the safety portion was rushed through to accommodate the groups behind us. When I voiced my concern, the manager at the Tree Top (I wish I knew his name), a husky guy, barked back that he has large groups behind us and we can't stay all day. The safety portion was all of 10 minutes. Our guide, however, was fantastic. Lisa, was able to sense who needed extra help and who was okay. She ensured we all had a good time, while being safe.

I highly recommended this trip to my family and friends and my husband and I plan on returning with our three girls.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Nuyorquina,

Thank you for your comments in relation to your recent stay at Skytop. I am delighted that you had such a wonderful stay at our Lodge. There are certainly so many wonderful and interesting activities that we feature at Skytop. I will be sure to address the safety issue that you mentioned with respect to our Tree Top Adventure manager. That is such a wonderful activity and we want to make sure that everyone feels completely safe and secure. Yes, we do ask gentlemen to wear dinner jackets and it does seem to lend a sense of family tradition and decorum in our dining room. I will be sure to pass along your kind comments in relation to Maryann and Lisa. They and all of our staff will sincerely appreciate knowing that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope you have a great summer and see you soon.

Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This experience was nothing like i had expected. Having done a treetops course before i was excited to try this one. The couse was short and not very challenging but fun for beginners. While our guide and the people behind the desk were great, his boss was leading the group that was directly behind our group on the course. While our guide was giving us his safety talk the man who i was told is his boss (A short, chunky bald man, I tell you this as a warning, if you are going to make a reservation request that he not be your guide!) came up to us, yelling that we were all taking too long and that our guide should give refunds and send us home! I was surprised to say the least, as we were not taking a long time, there were about 20 of us in our group and naturally it would take a while for us to go through the basics of how to do things! Once on the course the boss's group was right behind our group and they rushed us like we were having a race, cramming more then the recomended number of people onto a platform or bridge so they could get through the course fast enough to get to ride the last zip line twice. I would recommend that if guests are made to rush like this then maybe the ammount of poeple given reservations should be lessened to avoid people feeling like unwanted guests.

3 Thank ilovesummertime913
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear ilovesummertime…,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inappropriate actions of our supervisor that you experienced on our Treetop course. I have discussed this issue with him. This is a good opportunity to realize that people in all situations need to be treated with care and respect. Should your travels bring you back to Skytop’s Adventure Center and Treetop zipline course, please give me a call. I would love to host you for a complimentary trip through our course.

NJ
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We ate at the Inn at Skytop, one of two restaurants on the property. We waited for 15 minutes for someone to seat us, then after ordering drinks the hostess came over and said she would like us to order as soon as possible as the kitchen was not busy and soon would be .. never has a hostess said anything like that to me or anyone else in our party. The entrance sign said no t-shirts and a boy sat next to us without one. The menu was a joke, 5 apps, 2 salads, and about 7 entrees. There were no specials on a Saturday night! One person got swedish meatballs, 3 on some greens, unbelievable; one entree was Mahi Mahi with 2 of the smallest pieces of fish ever, we gave our friend some of our food as it was not enough for a child to eat. Before, yup before, our dessert came the waitress brought our checks. There were two checks, one for the food a second for the bar.. never before on that.. then we paid and waited 25, yes, 25 minutes for our checks and change. The manager was totally rude and the waitress undertrained, but trying to do her best. The food was passable, that's all, the service was poor compared to last year when there was more professionalism with the staff. We will not return and tell our friends to skip it, there are too many other places that know how to treat customers well in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank jrcphc
Dear jrcphc,

Thank you for your comments regarding your dining experience at Skytop. Please accept my sincere apologies for the service issues that you experienced in our dining room. It is always amazing to me how we can provide an outstanding dining experience for so many of our guests and then for one reason or another the wheels seem to fall off. I can assure you that I will discuss your issues with our dining and kitchen staff. I did note that you had been here last year and had a wonderful experience. I would appreciate it if you would give me a call and I will be sure to make every effort to regain your confidence in Skytop.

I hope you enjoy the remainder of the summer.

North Carolina
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I've just returned from Skytop lodge, where i planned our family reunion for 35 people, ranging in age from 6 months -77 years. This was the perfect place to hold it! There were so many different activities - someting for everyone, and the grounds are beautiful. The Inn is a smaller facility on the propoerty with about 23 rooms. We all stayed there, so we had our own private lounge area, where I hosted a reception, put up banners, the kids could run around, etc. The food at Skytop is fine, but not really great. Nevertheless, everyone was thrilled with the location and facility. staff was very helpful.

2 Thank pqrstuvwxyz
Dear pqrstuvwxyz,

Thank you very much for your kind comments in relation to your recent stay. Skytop does shine, particularly with family reunions. It is a place that appeals to people of all different age groups. I will surely pass along your kind comments to our staff. They are always eager to be appreciated for the job that they do.

I hope you enjoy the remainder of the summer and I hope to see you soon.

President & General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,263 reviews
The Lodge at Woodloch

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!