“Always A Great Place For Family”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Homer, NY
“Always A Great Place For Family”
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Skytop Lodge is a wonderful place for families to vacation. The Historic building is beautiful, and makes my heart race with excitement when I drive up to it. Check in is smooth with the help of bell men. Meals are a great place for families to be together, and are a taste of days gone by when it comes to table manners. If your children are not ready for prime time dining, your family can be seated in a separate dining room. Buffet "kid foods" are available to limit menu anxiety. My 10 year old grand daughter likes Skytop because she gets to dress up for dinner. We take a conversation booster called Food for Talk, (cards that have conversation ideas), to enrich our time together. Rooms are very comfortable, and the housekeeping is thorough.
The activities available for children and adults are too numerous to mention. Golf, Indoor and outdoor pools, crafts, guided mountain hikes, game room for children, tennis, rock climbing, day camp for little ones, afternoon tea with piano music, fishing, laser tag, paint ball...on and on. I was especially impressed with the young men who taught my grand daughter tennis and rock climbing. They were great coaches.
Most of all, this is a place families can be, with the knowledge that other people who are here are likeminded, and children are safe.
We're already talking about going to Skytop again.
PS: This is a great place for grandparents to take grand children. Everything is taken care of for you.

Room Tip: Beautiful views out of the rooms
2 Thank Fiona08
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
Dear Fiona08:

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent visit to Skytop. I am so glad to hear that you had a pleasant visit and I could not agree with you more. Skytop is a wonderful place for families! It was a pleasure having your family with us and we all look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Sincerely
President and General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Polish first
Valley Forge, PA
Reviewed August 23, 2011

My wife and I have been going to Skytop, at least once a year, since 2003 for family reunions or quick getaways--first as a couple and continued when we had children. We loved it every time. The grounds (garden, mountain, lakes and waterfalls) and grand lodge are beautiful.

We have gone in both the summer and winter but prefer the winter because of the extent of unique activities offered and the feeling you are living the song "Winter Wonderland." On our last trip in January we decided to try the dog sledding which might seem pricey but is worth every dollar! It was one of the highlights of the trip and my five and three year olds still talk about it. I could not recommend it more! The staff was great, very accommodating and patient with my little ones, just like the rest of the staff at the resort. The ski area is small but a perfect size for kids and adults wanting to take quick couple of runs, considering it’s included in the room rate. There is a bunch of other fun outdoor activities like a sledding hill, ice skating (fee to rent skates) and snow shoeing (fee to rent shoes) to keep you busy. I am dying to try the toboggan shot, which rockets you across the frozen lake, when my kids get a little older.

I really like that jackets are required for men in the evening. It feels like a step back in time and adds to experience. Every meal we’ve had was excellent, with great service. I do wish that they would add their famous blueberry pie--and I usually don’t even like blueberry pie elsewhere--or another pie back to the dessert menu. They are all fantastic.

Since three meals a day, tips and most activities are included with your room rate it is a better value than it might first appear.

We’ve always said that Skytop is a special place and we can’t wait to go back!

Room Tip: The streamside cottages are great. In the winter, with children, I'd stay in the Lodge so you do...
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank bchawaga
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Dear bchawaga:

Thank you for your feedback but more importantly thank you for the many visits you have made to our resort. We all appreciate having the opportunity to host you and your family. I am so glad that you have had the opportunity to experience and enjoy some of the many exciting recreation opportunities available to our guests.

I couldn't agree with you more! Skytop is a special place and we look forward to having your family back with us again soon.

Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We take a family vacation to Skytop every year. We have stayed in the Lodge, the Inn and the cottages. Each delivers a unique experience and we love them all. The food is excellent and the staff is courteous and professional.

You will not find a resort with more activities. We have enjoyed mountain biking, golf, skiing, skeet shooting, swimming in the pools and lakes, lawn bowling, dog sledding, ice skating, paintball, hiking, rock climbing, laser tag, the bobsled track...and the pub. Brian and the golf staff are awesome!

Our family lives in the Philadelphia suburbs but I grew up in the Poconos. In our opinion, Skytop is the most beautiful and meticulously maintained property in Pennsylvania.

Can't wait for our next visit.

Dave and Trish Chawaga

Room Tip: Our favorite rooms overlook the 18th green - great setting for happy hour on your private balcony!
2 Thank dchawaga
Dear dchawaga:

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your feedback and your comments regarding your recent visit to Skytop. I couldn't agree with you more Skytop is the best hotel in Pennsylvania! Having your family return to Skytop again and again just reinforces for me the wonderful experiences families have at Skytop and is the reason why Parents Magazine recently named Skytop one of the "Best Resorts for Kids".

Thank you dchawaga for staying with us. We all look forward to welcoming your family back soon!

Floral Park, New York
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I read about SKYTOP Lodge about a year ago and it was listed as one of the BEST FAMILY vacation. I kept a sticky note with it on my desk and every once in a while I would think about going then an opportunity came up last week. I went to my bible (which is Trip Advisor) and I was very disappointed to read the mixed reviews so I decided to call the resort directly. Joanne, in reservations was fantastic. She truly put her reputation on the line when she booked me. She keep saying she wanted me and my family to really enjoy SKYTOP. Instead of booking just one night, she talked me into buy two nights get one free. When I explained my husband was coming from Manhattan she said he could take a bus to Mt. Pocono and that John, a van driver from the resort would pick him up for NO charge. After driving 2 1/2 hours from Long Island with the kids it was a nice treat to enjoy the tea, lemonade and cookie service instead of driving 45 minutes round trip getting him at the bus depot. Thanks Joanne for the welcome basket and the bottle of wine, it was nice touch!

We were so impressed with SKYTOP when we pulled into the drive my daughter exclaimed are we staying at this castle! And she was correct it is truly like staying in a beautiful castle with activities from 7am to midnight. They have an AWESOME kids program called Camp in the Clouds. The director Bushy, his side kicks, Coco, Hanna Montana and Piggy, were just fantastic! Their names are created about the children and the counselor are eager to laugh, tell stories, play and entertain your children from 9am to 4:30pm (again, this was included free with my reservations). Our daughters made real flower arrangements which now sits on my dining room table, they make fortune teller crafters (which created hours of fun) and they played games, archery, tennis, mini golf, ping pong etc. This team of college kids is the best in the country and I can't thank them enough. My girls begged to have a sitter one night and we went to Mount Airy lodge casino for a few hours of gaming.

JB, the lifeguard with seen at the inside/ outdoor pool or later in the day at the beach. This is a 5 minute walk from the main hotel and my girls has a fantastic afternoon of swimming out to a trampoline on the lake connected to an inflatable slide. JB was a world of knowledge sharing insight to the resort having the only dog sledding adventure in the country. Thanks JB!

The additional staff of Jackie in activities was there morning, noon and night. She was our daily guide on our morning hikes through the lakes, streams and falls. She also helped to set up my husbands clay shooting and gave directions to local places. She was a delight to chat with while reviewing the weather and plans for the day.

Being we are from NY, food is one of the most important parts of any vacation and did SKYTOP hit it out of the ballpark. Their menu was creative, delicious and plentiful. Breakfast and lunch was either a full buffet with omelette stations, kids food stations, or you can order directly off the menu. Dinners were steaks, fish, chicken, lamb, you name it, they had it. Our servers were quite busy, but their support team Mason, Eduardo and JT were on the spot. Carol and Debbie, the managers, do a nice job!

By the time we were back from breakfast our room were spotless and set up with 8 new towels. The bell station team of Roy, who greeted us and Randy who checked us out, were happy to help, pack and unpack our car. There was always someone in front of the resort opening and closing in the doors.

In conclusion, I am so grateful to Joanne for selling me on SKYTOP. She made three days of our summer filled with wonderful memories. My husband and I were so impressed with the resort, we actually looked into buying a house on the property. We meet with a real estate agent in town and plan to pursue it.

Thanks to GM, Ed Mayotte for leading such an amazing group of people. We travel internationally and are very happy to find a place less than three hours from home where we can create a long term relationship. You will really enjoyed SKYTOP!

2 Thank ChristyR_11
Dear ChristyR:

Thank you for your comments regarding your family's visit to Skytop. I am so glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience and had the opportunity to really enjoy all that Skytop has to offer. The Skytop team members you mentioned exemplify the standard of service we strive to attain for our guests during each and every visit. I am delighted that we surpassed your expectations.

Thank you ChristyR for sharing your Skytop experience. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Staten Island, New York
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We are 4 adults and 2 children, 4 and 8. All had a great time. The childrens' camp ran from 9 to 4 and occupied them with a variety of fun activities. Parents got a good rest and could engage in activities. Older folks played golf on a beautiful well maintained course.

Food was good with a wide variety of choices. Two dining rooms to choose from. Wine and liquor selections excellent. Our rooms at the Inn were modern and spacious. Staff were courteous and extremely helpful. went out of their way to make our experience pleasant.

Jackets required for dinner at one dinning room. No baseball caps or cellphones in the lobbies or dinning rooms (Excellent!).

We have travelled widely and find Sky Top an excellent value with much to do. A wonderful family vacation spot. We signed up again for a week next summer.

Room Tip: We found the modern rooms at the Inn to our liking. Larger family groups might prefer a cottage.
1 Thank SheldonB007
Dear SheldonB007:

It was a pleasure reading your comments regarding your recent visit to Skytop. I am glad that you and your family all enjoyed their visit. Skytop is a special place especially for families, and we are glad to have the opportunity to welcome you back next summer.

Malvern, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Our family has been meeting annually at Skytop Lodge for 9 years. We have enjoyed both summer and winter getaways at this spectacular location. The grounds are an amazing combination of natural beauty, panoramic views and meticulously kept gardens. The hotel sits majestically on a hill overlooking a lake that accommodates swimming and boating in the summer and tobogganing in the winter. The rooms are beautifully appointed and a pleasant change from the standard hotel rooms you find in so many places. When you walk in you feel relaxed, comfortable and pampered!

Our family vacations together with children ranging in age from 2 - 20. Never once have I heard a complaint of not enough to do. That is saying a lot when you consider that the majority are teenage boys with lots of energy! We have taken advantage of everything from skiing and dog sledding to golf, mountain biking and lawn bowling. Yes, those teenage boys could not wait to go back and challenge the lawn bowling champions from the year before! I will confess that their favorite activity this summer was spending hours at the lake on the new water trampoline and inflatable water playground and huge slide!

One of my favorite times is the time spent together enjoying the fabulous meals in their beautiful dining facilities. Everything is perfect, soup to nuts. The table is set beautifully with real china and silver . The staff is accommodating and friendly. Most importantly, the food was amazing! There is a broad selection of gourmet food that every age group in our family enjoyed. My favorite, of course, was the Chocolate Obsession! All the meals we have had have been fabulous. From the Sunday brunch and afternoon tea in the lobby (complete with delicious cookies!) to the picnic at the ski lodge! Many options for everyone.
There is so much to do and so much to see that we always wish we had more time. Can't wait for our next visit to the amazing Skytop Lodge!

Room Tip: Different types - let them know a bit about your party so they can accomadate your needs!
1 Thank Karen D
Dear KarenD:

Reading your comments made me think again how lucky we are to have many, many families return to Skytop year after year. It is a testament to how special Skytop is for all that is important to families when they travel together. Good food, good fun and good memories are all things families tell me Skytop provides for them in a safe family friendly environment.

Thank you KarenD for coming back to Skytop again and again. It is our pleasure having your family with us and we look forward to your return visit.

Ed Mayotte
President & General Manager.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We recently stayed at Skytop on a family vacation with 3 grandchildren, their parents and my wife and I. We really enjoyed Skytop. There is something here for everyone and the grounds were very scenic. We stayed in the creek cottages next to the stream from the main lake to the lower lake. The staff did a great job and were very friendly from Vaughn and Fernando in the dining room to JB at the iceberg keeping the slide wet for everyone to enjoy. Our granddaughter really loved the day camp and went 2 days. She was excited when she caught the first fish of her life. We would like to make this an annual vacation spot.

Chris and Janet,
Austin, TX

Dear Janet C:

The memory of catching her first fish is something your granddaughter will always remember and I am delighted that Skytop was a part of it. Our guests tell me time and time again the fond memories they have of visiting Skytop as a child and because of that are now continuing the tradition with their children. We are very proud of that and welcome your family to our family.

We would welcome the opportunity to host your family on an annual basis. If I may assist with the arrangements please contact me.

President & General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!