“Spectacular - inside and out!”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Malvern, Pennsylvania
“Spectacular - inside and out!”
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Our family has been meeting annually at Skytop Lodge for 9 years. We have enjoyed both summer and winter getaways at this spectacular location. The grounds are an amazing combination of natural beauty, panoramic views and meticulously kept gardens. The hotel sits majestically on a hill overlooking a lake that accommodates swimming and boating in the summer and tobogganing in the winter. The rooms are beautifully appointed and a pleasant change from the standard hotel rooms you find in so many places. When you walk in you feel relaxed, comfortable and pampered!

Our family vacations together with children ranging in age from 2 - 20. Never once have I heard a complaint of not enough to do. That is saying a lot when you consider that the majority are teenage boys with lots of energy! We have taken advantage of everything from skiing and dog sledding to golf, mountain biking and lawn bowling. Yes, those teenage boys could not wait to go back and challenge the lawn bowling champions from the year before! I will confess that their favorite activity this summer was spending hours at the lake on the new water trampoline and inflatable water playground and huge slide!

One of my favorite times is the time spent together enjoying the fabulous meals in their beautiful dining facilities. Everything is perfect, soup to nuts. The table is set beautifully with real china and silver . The staff is accommodating and friendly. Most importantly, the food was amazing! There is a broad selection of gourmet food that every age group in our family enjoyed. My favorite, of course, was the Chocolate Obsession! All the meals we have had have been fabulous. From the Sunday brunch and afternoon tea in the lobby (complete with delicious cookies!) to the picnic at the ski lodge! Many options for everyone.
There is so much to do and so much to see that we always wish we had more time. Can't wait for our next visit to the amazing Skytop Lodge!

Room Tip: Different types - let them know a bit about your party so they can accomadate your needs!
1 Thank Karen D
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Dear KarenD:

Reading your comments made me think again how lucky we are to have many, many families return to Skytop year after year. It is a testament to how special Skytop is for all that is important to families when they travel together. Good food, good fun and good memories are all things families tell me Skytop provides for them in a safe family friendly environment.

Thank you KarenD for coming back to Skytop again and again. It is our pleasure having your family with us and we look forward to your return visit.

Ed Mayotte
President & General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Polish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We recently stayed at Skytop on a family vacation with 3 grandchildren, their parents and my wife and I. We really enjoyed Skytop. There is something here for everyone and the grounds were very scenic. We stayed in the creek cottages next to the stream from the main lake to the lower lake. The staff did a great job and were very friendly from Vaughn and Fernando in the dining room to JB at the iceberg keeping the slide wet for everyone to enjoy. Our granddaughter really loved the day camp and went 2 days. She was excited when she caught the first fish of her life. We would like to make this an annual vacation spot.

Chris and Janet,
Austin, TX

Dear Janet C:

The memory of catching her first fish is something your granddaughter will always remember and I am delighted that Skytop was a part of it. Our guests tell me time and time again the fond memories they have of visiting Skytop as a child and because of that are now continuing the tradition with their children. We are very proud of that and welcome your family to our family.

We would welcome the opportunity to host your family on an annual basis. If I may assist with the arrangements please contact me.

lancaster, pa
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We had a great time - Beautiful setting - great food - wonderful staff

1 Thank vglos
Dear vglos:

Thank you for your comments. The 3 things you listed are probably some of our greatest assets and the reason many guests keep returning to Skytop. If I could add anything to your list it would be the many activities available and I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy them.

Thank you again vglos and we all look forward to having you with us again soon.

Canadensis, PA
Reviewed August 19, 2011

My family and I just returned from a wonderful mini-vacation at Skytop Lodge. We have been going there for 9 years and have yet to be disappointed. This summer we stayed in the Main Lodge and found the room accommodations charming. You feel like you are visiting a lovely guest home, a delightful change from a chain hotel's cookie cutter rooms that we often see when traveling. The Skytop staff has even put books and plants in all the guest rooms to add to the ambiance.
The meals continue to be a highlight and the service from the staff cannot be beat! My family enjoys the formal atmosphere in the dining room (and there are 7 teenage boys and young men in our family). To see them all in sports coats and comfortable in the formal atmosphere at dinner assures me that some values are worth preserving. Plus when we were leaving, everyone got big hugs from our waitresses and the dining room captain!
Our family played golf, did boating, hiking, riding bikes, lawn bowling and swimming. The highlight of our activities, I believe, was the new slide and raft in the lake. EVERYONE loved it.
Thank you to everyone at Skytop for another year of making beautiful memories for my family and we look forward, with anticipation, to next year.

1 Thank Maureen C
Dear Maureen C:

You are welcome! I am delighted to read your comments and I appreciate you sharing them. Let me personally, and on behalf of our entire staff, thank you for 9 years of entrusting your family vacations to Skytop. We are so proud to have many families just like yours return to Skytop time and time again. It truly shows how special Skytop is and we are glad you are apart of our family.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon for year number 10!

Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I went here for a wedding, and to be clear I have no complaints about this space as a wedding venue. Most of our friends stayed at local B&B's during the wedding weekend, but we booked too late and chose to stay at the wedding location.

Besides the fact that the rooms are close to $500 for a standard hotel room, I'd expect that they would be up to date in some way. The clunky TV only had a VCR, there was a stand up shower without a bathtub, and I'd think for the exorbitant prices they'd at least include free internet (nope - you have to pay for it!)

The cherry on top was the dirty underwear left next to the bed from the last guest at the hotel!

When I complained about this, they gave me a measly $50 off their exorbitantly priced rooms. Honestly I've had better service and accommodations from $15 a night hotels in the jungle. Couldn't recommend this place less!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank pokacco
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
Dear Pokacco:

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Skytop Lodge. Please let me apologize to you for the issues you had with your guestroom. There are no excuses for presenting a guestroom like this and I have discussed this with our Executive Housekeeper and her team. I would like to point out that we take our guests’ comments and suggestions very seriously. We have two means of collecting these comments and suggestions. We use an electronic comment card that is sent to all guests that have provided us with an e-mail address and a handwritten comment card that is available in all of our guestrooms. We rate each and every comment in every category and share these comments with our employees and our managers so that we may continue to improve our product and services. Seeing your comments made me take another look at how we're doing in the eyes of the many guests that share their feedback with us. To date the cleanliness and attractiveness of our guestrooms rates a 97.7 on a scale of 100. This rating is based on a score attained from well over 1,000 comment cards year to date. The rate at Skytop Lodge includes more than just the room. It also includes 3 meals per person per night's stay and use of most of the recreational opportunities on our 5,500 acre estate. Presenting the rate as a room only rate is not an accurate portrayal of what is also available to you as a guest of Skytop Lodge. I am glad that you enjoyed Skytop Lodge as a wedding venue. I could not agree more that the magnificent setting of the Main Lodge and the beautiful Skytop estate provide an excellent setting for that special day. Thank you again Pokacco for your comments. I hope you will return to Skytop to really experience why generations of families have been visiting Skytop for well over 83 years and it would be my pleasure to assist with these arrangements.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I was here on business. My company covers it so there is no financial cost on my part. If you think you might like to come here I would pass on it. It is a beautiful spot, and a grand hotel, but not worth the $300.00 plus per night. I stay all over the country at hotels and resorts in cities and remote llocations, but this is the worst I have ever been to. I checked in and the room was tiny, with two twin beds......yes twin beds. Small bathroom with a nery low shower and no pressure. Musty smell, food comes with room but is average at best (I ended up ration at The Pine Hollow Restaraunt", great steaks).

If you like old, worn out, and overpriced, go for it. Also, be careful on check in. There are charges in the fine print for gratuities, etc that they don't tell you about when you make reservations. Again, do yourself a favor and pass on this one!

Room Tip: Make sure you state exactly the room you want when booking.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank Kate1107
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Dear Kate 1107;

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to Skytop Lodge. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us to improve our products and services. I have addressed your concerns regarding the low water pressure in your room with our engineering department and have asked them to look into the possible cause of this problem. I apologize for the quality of our food not meeting your standards. This surprises me as our food is consistently rated at very good to excellent on our guest comment cards. As a matter of fact, on our year to date comment card results the quality of our food is rated 94% on a scale of 100% by our guests and we’re pretty proud of that. You are correct in stating that the nightly rate your company paid to host you at Skytop does include your 3 meals daily. What you did not mention is that it also includes your company's meeting space, break-out space, audio visual equipment, and morning and afternoon beverage breaks. We find that the many companies that meet at Skytop prefer to have a complete meeting package (CMP) which includes all of the important elements for a successful meeting. We are also proud to note that Meeting Planners that read Meetings East Magazine have voted us a "Best of the East" award for the second consecutive year. In relation to your room charges let me state emphatically that there are no hidden charges at Skytop. All of the charges are clearly outlined on the Meeting Confirmation Agreement signed by a representative of your company. I am sorry they did not share this information with you. There is no excuse for an uncomfortable guestroom. I can assure you that if you had informed us that the room your company assigned to you was not to your liking we would have taken immediate steps to ensure that you received more comfortable accommodations.

Thank you again Kate1107 for your feedback. We hope that your company will become one of the many that entrust their meetings to Skytop year after year and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Lodge soon.

Peapack-Gladstone, New Jersey
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We have been going to Skytop for family reunions for about 10 years now because of the amenities (golf,fishing,hiking) and the location (lakeside setting nestled in the mountains and close to NJ/NY). Lately however, we have become disillusioned with the Skytop experience, perhaps because the poor economy has hurt the corporate cash-cow bookings.

You are nickeled and dimed at every turn: $10 for in-room wi-fi access? (and, no I don’t want to trek to the business center just to check e-mail, thank you) and $20 ($40/magnum!) to twist the cap off a bottle of wine in the dining room? If they really want to you to order off the wine list, just prohibit BYOB and don’t insult us with outrageous corkage fees. The experienced housekeeping and dining room staff take pride in their work and are excellent; the newer help, not so much... The menu features a few innovative choices but is a bit bland, yet accurate: the Shrimp and Scallop entree was just that, a few shrimp and ONE scallop.

As management has said, the cottages are undergoing a refurbishment – but for 5+ years? When will it be completed? The screen doors have seen better days and some sections of the ‘new’ stone veneer foundation are still missing. Also, PLEASE trim the potentially eye gouging low hanging branches and repair the ankle twisting walkways between the cabins.

For those booking a larger family gathering beware of the archaic accounting/billing system! Granddad has a coronary every time he reviews the bill and finds many errors (never in his favor, by the way). And, as others have commented, the front desk help and phone staff are in need of customer service training. The activities staff could also use a refresher course: On our last visit an older guest went to the bike rental area with a flat on his bike trailer. They gave him a tube and sent him on his way. I was nice enough to change it for him when I saw him return to his cabin, tube in hand.

We are hopefully looking forward to Skytop returning to its former standards of service.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank DarlasDad
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Dear DarlasDad:

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at Skytop Lodge. More importantly thank you for being one of our loyal guests for 10 years. It is guest like you that have kept Skytop Lodge a popular resort for generations of families. I am truly sorry that your recent visit did not live up to the expectations of you and your family.

I have reviewed our corkage fee with our Beverage Manager and have determined that it is in line with similar properties and is a fair price for the service we provide to serve, store and in many cases decanter your wine. The Business Center with complimentary internet accessibility is conveniently located on the lower level of the Main Lodge and is easily accessible from our guestrooms and public spaces.

I am glad that you found our menu innovative. Many of our guests comment on the excellent menu selections and food quality our Executive Chef and his team provide. In fact many tell us it is the highlight of their visit.

We are undertaking a renovation of our 10 cottages both inside and out. However, renovating 10 buildings while maintaining this beautiful historic property does take some time. Our carpenters and skilled trades staff are also engaged in the other projects we currently have underway to improve our guest’s experience. We have recently begun construction on a new paintball field called “The Texas Town” and are about to begin a project to construct a tree-tops adventure course at the Adventure Center at Skytop. We hope to have both of these available to our guests by the end of September. I am sure you and your family will enjoy these exciting additions on your next visit.

I have discussed the incident you referred to at our bike shop with our Activities Director. Our Activities Director was involved with that situation and has informed me that the trailer the gentleman brought to our shop with a flat tire was his own personal trailer. Our Bike Shop staff are not bicycle mechanics but tried to help as best they could. They offered the gentleman the use of one of our trailers or an inner tube from our inventory. He chose the inner tube which we offered to him complimentary. I am sorry you did not have all of the facts regarding this incident.

Thank you again DarlasDad for your invaluable feedback. We appreciate you sharing your experiences with us so that we may take corrective measures to ensure your next visit will live up to your expectations. We are all looking forward to welcoming you and your family back to Skytop Lodge soon. Please let me know if I can assist further.

President & General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!