“am i missing something”

Tomcat Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Decided to try this place for breakfast after reading all of the great reviews. Huge menu and nice staff, but my pancakes were tough - perhaps due to over mixing? I was disappointed - didn't eat even half of my plate and the server didn't ask if everything was o.k. Too far to drive and worry if breakfast is going to be cooked properly.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

I am lucky enough to live near Tomcat Cafe and I need to tell you I will never tire of the place. First of all there are hundreds of choices. Over 50 pancake choices alone! Where else can you choose Fruity Pebble encrusted French toast, sweet or savory crepes, breakfast sandwiches with eggs and smoked gouda between two cheeseburger bacon pancakes or an omelet with chicken, figs and a creamy blue cheese hazelnut sauce (my fav ..The purple haze).

All of the staff are friendly and the atmosphere is cozy. Yes, there is often a wait, but trust me it will be worth it. Why doesn't he expand? Perhaps Scott refuses to become just another person who became larger only because he can or perhaps he just likes having afternoons off and spending time with his family? The atmosphere is a little bit rock and roll rebel and I like it. It's a wink and a nod to all great music, with such entree names as Blitzkrieg Bop, Zappa, Claypool, Blind Faith and Graceland. How good is it? My 17 year old son and 5 of his friends woke themselves up at 6:30 am on a Sunday just to be first in line to eat breakfast there on my son's birthday.

If you want to avoid crowds you might try to be there at around 10AM on weekdays to avoid the lunch rush..... Weekends, just be prepared to wait. If you are curious about the menu, they do have a Facebook page "The Tomcat Cafe" and their menus are under the Photos tab. The FB page also has the weekly specials ... not included on the menu. In fact their menus is so large, it might be helpful for you to look ahead of time. If you wait till you get there you might be overwhelmed. Trust this, if you are in the Berks County area, make the effort to check them out! You will not regret it.

1  Thank joius24
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Awesome, huge, and bizarre menu full of delicacies your palate will surely love... The bacon is a meal in itself - sooooo good!

Arrive 30 mins +/- before you want to eat, put your name in and give your cell # they can call when your table is open.

The menu is truly expansive, you'll find something to try with ease. The staff is super nice and eager to please. Bring cash in case the credit card machine is down, and expect to spend $25 to $35 for an adult couple with OJ, breakfast, a side dish, and at least a 20% tip.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

What a hidden gem in Berks County. I used to drive by this place every week until I heard people talk about. We gave it a shot one day and now a favorite of ours. I tell everyone I know how creative the chef's are that the food is amazing. This is a small but quaint place, worth the wait on a weekend. Bring your appetite, the portions are huge! Servers are great and friendly - always have hot coffee ready! Try it once and you will be a believer.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

After eating here, I thought "Am I really in Berks County?" This place feels like a popular café you'd find on Beale St or in New Orleans.... but not in boring, meat-and-potatoes Berks County? This place was AMAZING!!! I loved the eclectic food choices, portion sizes, and the overall experience with the Blues theme. OK, what sucks is it does take a while to get your food but just go there knowing that and it's worth the wait. I got the "Momma said knock you out" French toast which was stuffed with crème brulee, spicy chocolate and topped with amaretto soaked strawberries and my husband got the.. think it was called Riley B Scramble. Each one of these was an explosion of flavor. Another thing to note- the menu clearly states no omissions, substitutions or additions (there's a separate part of the menu where you can build your own) and I respect this. We met the chef/owner and, yes, he's a little eccentric, but I love that! He knows his food and he put a lot of thought into the combinations and you have to respect that. Be brave, trust the chef... try something new!

1  Thank landladytina