“Rude”

Cuisines: Chinese
Reading PA
“Rude”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

My wife and I went into this buffet at the end of lunch. When they started dinner they put "dinner only" tags on the food to let us know what we couldn't eat. Almost everything was now "dinner only", even the noodles. What was ok for lunch 10 minutes ago was now not allowed to be eaten unless you paid the dinner price. What was even worse was that we were going to eat some more shrimp (we had some earlier) and after we had it on our plates, the manager told us we couldn't have it because it was for dinner, but there wasn't even a sign on it saying it was for dinner only. She was very unprofessional towards us. She didn't just tell us we couldn't have it, she was freaking out on us. If we knew we couldn't eat it and we were trying to get away with something it would be more justified. But to not know we did something "wrong" and be treated that way was uncalled for. We have eaten here before for lunch and we know that some items are dinner only and we don't eat them. But why harass us if we didn't know we couldn't eat what we did 10 minutes earlier (or 10 visits earlier)? They were making up the rules as they went along. Almost everything was "dinner only" which left us with the only option of leaving. We will not go back again after being treated this way.

• Visited April 2012

Pa
“Won't go back”
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Had a late lunch here (walked in at 2:45 PM). The place looked clean and neat, so we thought we would try it out. We thought it was new, but learned that this is the same establishment that was in Shoemakersville, now moved into the new Walmart Plaza next to Cabelas. Back to the food......on first glance, it looked OK. Typical chinese buffet style. Had a hibachi and sushi bar. The problem we encountered is the fact that the food was cold and they didn't replace any of the items on the buffet. The bins were nearly empty. I suppose it is because of the time of day, but that shouldn't matter. There were other people there eating, too. We eat slow, and they changed to dinner at 3:30. They came around to each table and told us that we were not allowed to go up to the buffet any more, since we came in at lunch time, we needed to get what we wanted now, it would be our last chance. I said, "not even for dessert" and the hostess said "NO". Not very friendly, either. And they had a woman watching the buffet. They also went up to the people who were AT the buffet and asked them if they paid for lunch or dinner!! Now I understand that it was dinner time and we paid for lunch, but there were items that remained the same on the buffet. Only now they were fresh and hot. Really can't give this place a good review....we won't go back. The food was cold and so were the employees.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank roaming_around_US
Shoemakersville, Pennsylvania
“Not gonna cut it.”
Reviewed July 30, 2011

This restaurant moved from a tiny location where the limited buffet was 6.95 to 9.95 on weekends. The food was hit or miss. Nothing like authentic city chinese food, but the same cut-and-paste entrees most buffets have . But here there'd be only one kind of rice, some entrees/sides would go empty for the duration, and any battered meat (almost all of it) entrees would be chewy on of questionable meat content. Mandarin oranges were rancid on two occasions. But you could always find enough of something to make a meal out of it. An acceptable option for the price of a large hoagie.

I tried the big new location with high hopes. At the new Tilden Ridge shopping center, they have to satisfy folks from out of the area (coming to Cabela's from all over the eastern part of the country). People from NYC, Philly, Balt-Wash etc. are best kept happy if this place is going to pay its mega-$$ lease. The place is now larger, nicer, and has a made-to-order hibachi.

I do not eat seafood so can't speak for it-- which is a big part of the menu. I didn't have the time to wait for the the hibachi lines. I like chinese chicken entrees, and filled my plate with Kung Pao chicken, sesame chicken-- ALL the chicken entrees plus a beef or two. Again, we have the battered meat nuggets-- that I assumed would improve now that this buffet costs 5 bucks more. NAY NAY! It actually seemed worse. It was so chewy I couldn't even chew through the whole nugget, and there's little to no real meat inside-- more like a by-product. The beef I tried was not battered but it was still rubbery as could be. I littered the table with napkins full of unchewable food. No time to wait for the hibachi, so I loaded up at the salad bar. The salad bar has lots of fruit, pasta salad, and other goodies-- it was the only saving grace. I was not happy, having to wait in line for a seat (Saturday) and leave $15 behind after tax, tip, and drink.

I will give it one more chance with the hibachi sometime. But honestly, your best best is to go load up on shrimp and crab and salad stuff. Aside from that, for what you're going to spend, you will do much better at neighboring restaurants: Cracker Barrel, Logan's roadhouse, or even Five Guys.

Visited June 2011