“AWFUL - Room Smelled like Snoop Dog had a Party!!”

Shippen Place Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Shippensburg
Lansdale, Pa
“AWFUL - Room Smelled like Snoop Dog had a Party!!”
Reviewed September 17, 2009

Worst experience ever! At Shippensburg for Family Weekend to see my daughter who is a Freshman. My husband and I also had our 11 year old with us. When we went back to our room around 10:00, we walked in and the room stunk of Pot. The people next door were having quite a party. The walls were paper thin and the smell filled our room. My son was horrified. We told the girl on duty who informed us a manager was not available. She tried to help but there were no other rooms to put us in. We had to leave an find a room at 11:00 at night. The hotel did call us but I expected at least a room comped for our horrible experience. This was a FAMILY weekend and a treat to stay at a hotel. All they offered us was a discount because it was not their fault! Unbelieveable!!!!! I would NEVER stay there again or advise anyone I know to stay there. Go to Chambersburg only 15 minutes away, cheaper and better beds and no SMELL!!! Customer service..Ship Hotel does not know the meaning of!!!

Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Ohio
Reviewed August 17, 2009

This hotel was a gem. It was very easy to find, as it was in the center of Shippensburg, on the main street. It provided free parking in the back. The hotel had a wonderful atmosphere. The lobby was beautiful and our room was equally delightful. Behind the hotel was a nice outdoor sitting area where one could purchase foods or drinks from the adjoining restaurant/tavern if desired. The hotel was very quiet and we slept well each of the three nights that we stayed. We definitely had NO BED BUGS!! We saw no bugs of any kind, and we have no bug bites on our bodies. We enjoyed our attractive room, and we plan to stay at this hotel again. We have already recommended it to other family members.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Stroudsburg
Reviewed August 15, 2009

I traveled to Shippensburg for Game in University and selected Shippen Place to stay over the weekend. Hotel seemed ok but hard to find. Many of us ended up with a bite and later we found out it was a bed bug. It seems like 8 of our 12 rooms had this problem. I really wish I could have selected some other hotel.

• Stayed August 2009
1 Thank Cash4Dash
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed July 2, 2009

My family and I stayed here one night and returned home with bites on us. We occupied 3 rooms. We didn't stay any place other than Shippenplace. There were seven of us. I've stayed there many times in the past three years and no problems. Spoke with the manager and he had checked one of the room and didn't see any evidence of bugs. According to the internet they are hard to find as they only come out at night. Photos on the net matched our bites exactly. Many hotels are getting these bugs even the posh ones. The manager hasen't bothered to phone me with his last findings or how he handled the problem. Fumigation is the only remedy! Be aware of this possibility if you choose to stay here. Also the BED BUGS like to travel in luggage!

• Stayed June 2009
Maryland
Reviewed September 7, 2008

There are very few hotels located in Shippensburg, our son attends Shippensburg University, and we needed a place close to the school. I read the reviews about this hotel and decided to try it. It was a pleasant experience, nice hotel, clean and the staff there was courteous and helpful.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
La Jolla, CA
Reviewed August 20, 2008

We visit family each year in Shippensburg, PA. This was our first stay here. This hotel on the main street is more like an English Hotel with its reception lobby and an adjoining dining room and bar area. There is a rear patio for dining or to have a cocktail in the warmer months, when we were there. The patio has a wall blocking the parking lot view. The place is a little gem, for such a small town. I agree with the previous reiewer that the beds could be a little more comfortable. They are kept clean. Many of the staff, for the most part, seem to be students at the local University. The rates at $89.00/nightly could not be beat for such a large room. It definitely beats the ho-hum chains off the freeway ramps.

• Liked — The Traditional English Hotel layout, and the location right in Town on the Main Street
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
WA
Reviewed July 11, 2008

I stumbled across this hotel during an internet search for the Shippensburg, PA area. I was traveling to Shippensburg for a last minute visit with family friends and was unable to get a room at the larger chain hotels in town. The price here was right and the reviews I could find were positive.

After staying here, I would agree with the earlier reviews. The rooms are basic, but clean. The continental breakfast is mediocre, but as expected. I also found it strange that the cleaning staff and front desk clerk routinely helped themselves to the breakfast spread while the guests were still in the room. It appears this is also the hotel staffs normal breakfast.

From what I gathered talking to the staff, the hotel is owned by Shippensburg University and is normally reserved for the university's distinguished visitors. The hotel has a lot of potential, but as it is right now it is just a place to crash while you are enjoying the Shippensburg area. Do not expect anything more than a clean room and free ice!! I personally found the beds a little uncomfortable and in need of replacement. Overall, I would stay here again if traveling thorugh the area.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable bed
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank WorldTraveler807
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shippensburg
Courtyard Shippensburg
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chambersburg
Super 8 Chambersburg I-81
Super 8 Chambersburg I-81
#9 of 16 in Chambersburg

Been to Shippen Place Hotel? Share your experiences!