“two tries”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Shippensburg
Orlando, Florida
“two tries”
Reviewed May 23, 2011

we stayed here for a night on the way north.
good - dinner/burger was okay, sweet potato fries blah, complimentary breakfast was excellent, room was large, clean, comfy
bad - room key wouldn't work, had to go down a couple of times to get the key programmed, music from the bar was heard in our room, had to move a sleeping child and all our stuff. arg., both rooms had terrible mildew around tub

then we stayed again on our way south
good - familiar, safe, comfy, clean, quiet
bad - restaurant closed on sundays, desk clerk sent us on goose chase to a walkable restaurant also closed, ended up ordering pizza delivery - paid extra for the order and they got it wrong, and it tasted awful; mildew on tub, so few guests in hotel that they didn't serve any breakfast!!!!!! this is not acceptable, especially with a child; then we ate snacks in the room as breakfast just to have the maintenance WALK IN, why??? he had a work order for something - i asked him to leave until we check out.
ARGGGGGGGGGGGGG

comments to owner - use tilex!!!!, hire people who have half a clue, keep your promises (for complimentary breakfast), keep strange men OUT of rooms with women and children - we didn't call maintenance, he should NOT come in

fix these issues for a better rating

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank nygirl2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Palmyra, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 7, 2011

A very nice hotel. Parking in rear of hotel. Employees were happy to assist. Restaurant dining was very nice. Food was great as was our service. The continental breakfast was superb. clean, Sherry the hostess was wonderful. Plenty of fruit, breads, muffins, cereal hot/cold, tea, coffee, juices, make your own...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
North Wales, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 21, 2010

A very nice hotel in the center of town. Convenient. Parking in rear of hotel. Employees were happy to assist. Restaurant dining was very nice. Food was great as was our service. The continental breakfast was superb. Breakfast area was inviting, clean, Sherry the hostess was wonderful. Plenty of fruit, breads, muffins, cereal hot/cold, tea, coffee, juices, make your own waffles! Did not feel rushed what so ever. All the food was displayed very nice. We came down for breakfast 10 minutes before serving time was to conclude, but everything was still plentiful, clean, and appetitzing. My daughter for prep school and college played ice hockey and had been to many hotels over the course of her ice hockey career. She stated this was the best continental breakfast she had scene. Many hotels never replenish, have under par food and clean up 20 minutes before ending time which was a problem for the ice hockey players in the morning. Kudos and 5 stars to The Shippen Place Hotel!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Springfield - Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 10, 2010

Found the room to be larger and more comfortable than at the Shippensburg Best Western. Hotel and Restaurant staff were awesome. Location couldn't have been better for Family Weekend at Ship, we walked around town and were close to campus. Food and beverages in the restaurant and Tavern were delicious and reasonably priced. We also liked the quaint decor, it adds an almost Bed & Breakfast type feeling to the hotel instead of a cookie cutter chain decor.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 15, 2010

If you are looking for a hotel to stay at while you are getting drunk with your fraternity buddies this would be the place. However if you visiting with your family be prepared to wake up in the middle of the night after all the drunks come home. Beds suck! Foods good, location is great, rooms where clean. Not a family place.

• Stayed September 2010
Burlington VT
Reviewed April 12, 2010

I traveled there for work. Overall, it is average. Staff is friendly. Rooms could use an update. Avoid rooms with adjoining door or maybe it doesn't matter. I had a bad neighbor. Noisy even past 1am. Calling down to the front desk didn't help. This was 2 nights in a row. Not sure the BestWestern is much better.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
PA
Reviewed September 20, 2009

I have had many opportunities to visit Shippensburg, PA and have stayed only at the Shippen Place Hotel. That's why I was a very surprised to read the review about the possibility of bed bugs. So, before making my next trip, I took it upon myself to personally speak to the general manager of the facility. He was very kind and understanding of my concern and explained to me that right after the complaint, he immediately brought in a nationally known pest control company to inspect the rooms. The representative inspected several rooms and beds and found NO evidence of the existence of bed bugs nor any evidence that bed bugs were EVER a problem at this facility. I thanked the GM for his time and continued with my plans to stay at the Shippen Place and, as I expected, I didn't regret my decision. I have NEVER had a problem while staying there. I have NEVER had a bad experience. The staff is wonderful -- friendly and attentive. They make you feel that they are happy you are there. The rooms are nicely decorated and larger than some rooms in which I have stayed in "name brand" hotels. The suites are cozy with a separate sitting area. I love the fact that the hotel is right on the main street of Shippensburg. It has a nice "small town" atmosphere with cute little shops to peruse in your free time. As a guest here, you also have access to the local gym if you need to fit in your workout while traveling....

I also want to compliment the Black Horse Tavern. This restaurant is conveniently located right inside the hotel so you don't have to leave the hotel if you don't feel like it. Plus, they offer room service -- not something you can easily find at hotels in this affordable price range. And, the food is FANTASTIC! I have NEVER had a bad meal there. I am from Maryland and love crab cakes and they serve some of the best crab cakes I have ever had! No joke! The bar is relaxing and casual and has several televisions if you're in the mood to watch a football game while you eat. There have even been occassions where I have visited and there was live entertainment, which made for a pleasant evening. I love to eat outside, so when the weather is nice, there is a charming patio with tables with umbrellas where you can eat and relax.

In summary -- great service, comfortable clean rooms, friendly staff, free continental breakfast (with waffles!), in-house restaruant and tavern, great food (esp crab cakes), free parking, access to a gym, affordable price -- I will continue to stay here when I visit Shippensburg and highly recommend it to others!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shippensburg
Courtyard Shippensburg
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chambersburg
Super 8 Chambersburg I-81
Super 8 Chambersburg I-81
#9 of 16 in Chambersburg

Been to Shippen Place Hotel? Share your experiences!