“Great setting for our parent's 50th anniversary celebration”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shawnee on Delaware
Santosha on the Ridge Bed and Breakfast Sanctuary
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Our family rented all the rooms (ages teens to 70s) and enjoyed the openness of the house, but we all had places to retreat if necessary. The decor was clean and rustic with many things to discover along the way that were fun for our family to participate in together. We walked the labyrinth outside and utilized the singing bowl inside. We watched and listened to the animals in the pond on the property and enjoyed the clouds at eye level as they circled around us above the river in the morning. Lots of great outdoor space on the decks as well as trails just a short trip away at the bottom of the mountain.
Our hosts provided the perfect mix of being there when needed/invisible when we didn't need them. Leslie's yoga session for the family was wonderful. Ingredients in the food were local when possible and the dishes they made with them were delicious.
We have already recommended Santosa on the Ridge to friends.
Loved the house dog, Lucy. She was very polite.

Room Tip: Master suite upstairs has it's own A/C unit. Other upstairs rooms were comfortable, too. Our dow...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 3, 2012

This was our second stay at Santosha on the Ridge and we loved it just as much as the first time. We stayed once again in the Naturescape room because it is so roomy and private. The architecture is stunning and it has all the amenities. It's so nice to be able to go out onto the deck and have a glass of wine while looking out into the woods and listening to the bullfrogs. My husband is so happy they've added a shower and I love the antique bathtub for a relaxing soak. Leslie, the owner, is a wonderful lady who made us a delicious breakfast the next morning. She made us feel welcome and right at home from the moment we saw her picking a fresh bouquet for our room. I love the homemade soap collection and always have to buy a few to take home. There is a unique ritual for leaving where you can write down something you want to "rid yourself of" and I think it may actually work as we left feeling free and light-spirited after another wonderful stay!

Room Tip: We have only stayed in Naturescape as this is our favorite room for quiet and roominess.
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My wife and I recently spent an evening at Santosha on the Ridge in the Pocono Mountains, and we couldn't be happier. Travel restrictions kept us from keeping a previous reservation, and there was no pressure to reschedule or anything, even though it was the night before we were scheduled to arrive. We ended up having the entire house to ourselves, and were immediately struck by how beautiful the land is, and how quiet! We could hear every insect and bird chirp (in a good way!), and the view overlooks Mt. Tammany across the river in NJ were unbelievable. Summer in the Poconos is just as nice as autumn or winter, but be aware that the roads are quiet steep and may require all-wheel drive in the snow. East Stroudsburg and Shawnee Mountain are very close, as are Bushkill Falls Waterfalls and other local attractions. The house is amazing, with reading nooks, a hot-tub and outdoor shower, fresh garden, and a labyrinth through the woods. The "Naturescape" suite was stunning, with views overlooking the bullfrog pond, a kitchenette and dining area, sit-up pedestal bathtub, and other amenities, while seeming far away from the rest of the house. My only gripe, if you can call it that, is that we're used to a firmer tempurpedic mattress at home, so the bed seemed a bit soft, but it's not anything to write home about and certainly nothing to complain about. Amy and Leslie were perfect hosts, offering suggestions for local restaurants and attractions and even have a large collection of DVD's for your viewing pleasure. In the morning, home-cooked puff pancakes with fresh fruit and juices awaited us, and we felt calm and relaxed after one night at Santosha. We came as strangers, and left as friends, and I HIGHLY recommend stopping by, even for an evening. I can't say enough nice things about Santosha, and thank Amy, Leslie, and their families for opening such a beautiful home with the unforgettable view! 5 Stars!

Room Tip: "Naturescape" (suite above the garage) is the highest price, but offers private balcony, i...
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Spent a wonderful 2 nights at Santosha. Leslie and Amy were friendly hostesses and made our stay very comfortable. The facility is awesome and the grounds equally beautiful. This B&B made a perfect home base for exploring the area. Gourmet breakfast were served every morning and coffee, tea, water, snacks were always available. They basically opened up the house to us and the other quests which made us feel quite at home. We also had fun with Lucy the dog who guarded the premises from all outside critters. Great place to visit.

Room Tip: We chose the small room on the lower floor, very cozy.
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband and I were celebrating our 1st anniversary. When I first saw the Santosha website, I immediately fell in love with it. The scenery, the rooms, everything just looked so perfect. It seemed to have all the things that I valued: simplicity, zen, peace, love, happiness...and so much more. We decided to go with Nature escape, the best room in the house.

The place turned out to be exactly what I’ve had in mind. I love every flower and every rock around the house. The room was absolutely perfect. My husband kept commenting on how cool everything is. Lastly, I went to check out the bed. To my surprise, it was really really soft. As soon as I sat on it, I just sank right in. I told my husband I don’t think I like the bed very much. He sat on it and said he doesn’t really mind. That night I got about 4 hours of sleep, intermittently. When I got up the next morning, I could feel my back hurting and my pulse racing... I realized I was stressed out. I looked to the side, my husband was not there. He had moved to the couch. That was our anniversary day, and I just couldn't continue like that. So I've decided to check out early and perhaps move to Shawnee Inn.

We silently ate our breakfast (which was very delicious btw) with the other guests, who were also celebrating their anniversary. I told them that our anniversary was today, and everyone, except the inn keeper (Leslie) congratulated us. Leslie sort of had a confused look, mixed with a frown. I couldn't really tell what she was thinking. But oh well, I thought, we're leaving anyways.

After breakfast, I quietly asked Leslie if we could check out early. Her answer was a simple yes. I went on to tell her that we absolutely loved the property, it's just that the bed in the nature escape was way too soft for us. Her response to that was, "Some people like it that way, but I understand, everyone is different". Again, I thanked her for her understanding. She then asks if we want to check out the sunrise room, which has the firmest bed. I thought, sure why not, after all, we do love everything about this place.

When we walked into sunrise room, my husband immediately fell in love with it. My concern however, was the bed. I couldn't tell if it is firm enough just by touching it with my hand. Perhaps it was the fatigue, or the desperateness that made me lost my mind. Before I knew it, I found myself lying under the cover of the bed. The door opened, and Leslie was standing by the doorway. Immediately I scrambled out of bed, which probably made it look like I was “secretly” testing the bed. But in reality, I was just really embarrassed at what I’ve done. Leslie’s statement made me felt terrible: "I didn't mean you could lie in the bed. I just made that bed, and it took me a long time. To lie in a clean bed that someone else might come to sleep in later is just not right. All you need to do is tell me if you will be leaving or staying in here".
She continued to stand there.

My husband looked at me anxiously, which I later found that, he rather we just leave. But in my guilt, I responded, yes we will stay in this room. I couldn't tell whether Leslie was relieved that she doesn't need to remake the bed, or she prefers us to leave because of my lack of manner. She just emphasized that it takes a long time to make the bed. She also told me she didn't mean to make me feel bad. I decided to let it go, because it was my fault to begin with. Later on, Leslie also told us we shouldn't eat a big meal in the room because she's worried the carpet could get dirty. I could tell my husband is getting impatient. Nonetheless, we nodded in agreement.

That day we went kayaking on the river, it was so much fun. When we got back we decided to end the day with a glass of red wine on the deck. We would've had it in the room but we remembered that red wine is not allowed in the room. Due to event earlier in the day, my husband cautiously approached Leslie, "Sorry to bother you, but do you have a cork opener and wine glasses?” She reminded us to drink the wine at the deck, and handed us the cork opener and wine glasses. We glanced down at the wine glasses - they were made out of plastic. Without saying much, we went outside. We sat in the rocking chair and toasted the night away. It was a perfect anniversary day.

That night, I managed to get about 5 hours of sleep, still waking up a couple of times in the night. The sun hits my eyes right at six o'clock, and I just couldn't fall asleep anymore (even with an eye mask on). My husband tossed around the entire night. Turns out he didn't like his pillow. When we got up, he was very quiet, didn't talk much. When we got downstair, we saw a stranger in the kitchen, Amy, the other inn keeper. She reminded me of a school teacher that I had long ago in elementary. She congratulated us on our anniversary, and we had a very heartwarming conversation.

“I like Amy”, my husband said to me when we were alone. I smiled back, “me too”.

Before we headed out for biking that day, we decided to heat up the leftover food in the microwave. My husband suggested we just eat it cold because he doesn’t want to cause any inconvenience for them. I told him, "don’t be silly, we’re a guest here". Amy went to get a plate for us from the cabinet, but was stopped by Leslie, who insisted that the plate was very hard to replace. “Is paper plate okay?” she asked cheerfully. Almost immediately, husband and I answered in concord “Yes, that’s fine”. When we were outside, I asked him if he felt offended. He simply smiled and didn’t say anything. I held his hand. We had a delightful lunch on the deck. Later on when we were hanging out in the porch, Leslie came in to turn the fan on for us. We thanked her wholeheartedly. It was a very nice gesture of her, and we really appreciated it.

That night I gave my pillow to my husband because I remembered he didn’t like his. His pillow felt okay at first, but for some reason it became more and more uncomfortable throughout the night. Finally I tossed it onto the ground, and slept without it. I slept 3 hours. When the light hits my eye in the morning, I was so tired beyond words can describe. I honestly was ready to pull my hair out. My whole body aches from the hiking, kayaking and biking we did 2 days ago, and my head was ready to explode with the lack of sleep.

That’s when it occurred to me: I came to Santosha to find relaxation, along with other important qualities in life such as happiness, simplicity and zen, but in the end I realized that we’ve had all those good qualities since the very beginning. We didn’t need to come here at all. We could’ve spend our anniversary at a noisy and crowded place, and still be as happy.

Due to traffic, it took us 6 hours to get home. Although completely exhausted, we both agree that there’s no place like home 

Room Tip: The place is absolutely beautiful! But the rooms has no blind at all - early birds only!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Heng X
Reviewed July 24, 2012

The house is beautiful, and the breakfast was fantastic. There are great hiking trains nearby, and the general store has fantastic sandwiches. I think the only downside is that our room didn't have a thermostat, so one night when the house didn't have A/C on, we were too hot. That being said, we would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2012

After a week full of driving on a business trip, this was the best surprise. The B&B feels like a home away from home. It is decorated in beautiful mountain/peaceful charm without the kitschy Bed & Breakfast feeling you get from many places. No doilies, overwhelming fabric, or old furniture. We stayed in the only room on the first floor. It was a weekday so it was very quiet, so i'm not sure what it would be like with more couples and noise. You are literally in the woods, it's beautiful. The view is gorgeous, the surrounding gardens, labyrinth, and pond are fun to explore. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious. My husband and I will be going back, and I can't wait to do yoga on the porch!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Mountaintop Lodge at Lake Naomi
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek

Been to Santosha on the Ridge Bed and Breakfast Sanctuary? Share your experiences!