“Great Family Vacation”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Hollywood, Fl
“Great Family Vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

This is our second time at Shawnee. Yes it's old but so spacious and charming. The cabins were 2 bed/3 baths, and very old, huge jacuzzi in separate room, off of master suite. 2 bed/3 baths. Fireplace. Patio and yard overlooking the woods and playground. Great rec center and very relaxing vacation overall. Booked with our vacation club and paid $300 for the week of Easter....A STEAL. Never would have had such a great time with 2 little ones in a simple hotel room. Lots of privacy and comfort and a great kitchen. Tons of local attractions.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2009

A lovely drive from NY gets you to Shawnee's Inn and with fall approaching the roads are lined with beautiful trees.

A beautiful golf resort on the river bank with water sports makes Shawnee's a great property for weekend getaway.

Unfortunately some rooms are very small so we had to opt for a suite. And the suite was lovely with a river view and a private jaccuzzi in the bath. Also we got pampered with access to a special area for breakfast, drinks (on the house) which we enjoyed mainly on the sunday when we sat in the balcony watching people play golf while we were taken care of by a personal attendant for breakfast & tea.

While we were not lucky at the water sports since we reached late but we got lucky walking in the river since the river was only knee length and you could wade the entire distance & walk across to the other side. Trust me it is a beautiful thing walking in a river holding hands with your better half.

• Liked — well equiped with a golf course, river (water sports), swimming pool, spa, bar etc for a weekend getaway.
  • Disliked — Standard rooms are small considerin people would like to relax on a weekend get away.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ALLIGATOR9
robhowell, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this review, May 21, 2009
Thank you for taking time out to write about your experience. The property opened in 1911. The varying room sizes and configurations are typical of historic hotels. Newly constructed resorts make each room the same square feet. It allows for great standardization, but takes away some of the charm we believe this historic property possesses. I am so happy that you asked about our upgraded rooms and decided to indulge in our beautiful natural surroundings. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Shawnee Inn for (thankfully) just one night for our anniversary weekend, when we checked into our room on the third floor we almost didnt stay at all!! The "King" room is anything but!! The room looked and felt dusty/ dirty, the bed looked like someone had slept in it literally before we arrived and the sheets never changed....YUK!! The kitchenette was basic but useable, although the coffee etc was out of date.
The bathroom was smaller than a closet, again it looked like it hadnt been cleaned!! So, we returned to the front desk and complained, the lady gave us an option to move to a room on the first floor, we checked the room, it wasnt much different to our previous room, same size....King (small) no kitchenette. We were not impressed by what was on offer but short of going back home to Philly and having our weekend ruined we decided to stay. BIG MISTAKE!!! It turned out the check in clerk put us in a room that was immediately above the club/dining room, whether it was done out of spite because we complained or she just didnt think, we'll never know!!!! We could hear clearly the loud music and noise from the club room, and to top that off the room AC didnt work, I set it before we went out for dinner at nearby Sam Sneads Tavern (which was excellent) and when we came back the room temp (77 F) was the same before we left 4 hours prior! I spoke to the night clerk and he told me the maintenance staff had gone home for the night and to open a window....great, our windows opened to the same level as the verandah / porch.... of course there were people sitting out there....I don't think so!!
The morning came and we were very keen to leave this place!!! We complained to the manager, who listened to what we had to say, I will say he was very understanding and I appreciated what he did for us in way of price reduction, could he have done more? who knows!! The Shawnee Inn is one hotel/resort I definitely wouldnt recommend to friends or family!!! Its a shame because the location and scenery are beautiful!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
robhowell, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this review, May 5, 2009
Never Again is certainly not a response you want to hear from a guest. I was away on business for the time you were here, but spoke to our Front Office Manager and Manager on Duty regardng your issues. When the review went up on Trip Advisor I knew of the situation. Each time you approached a staff member regarding your stay, they attempted to rectify the situation in a manner that would satisfy you. Unfortunately, we were unable to find the solution that would bring you back for another visit. Believe me it is not our intention to make you uncomfortable or have you not return, specifically because we have a beautiful unique property that you cannot find anywhere else. The issues you have noted have been discussed with our staff and solutions on how to prevent it from happening to other guests have been suggested and are being implemented. I apologize for the issues you faced here and we are working diligently to make sure as many guests as possible experience exceptional service and a pleasant stay.
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2009

My husband and I decided to celebrate our tenth anniversary with a five day (Sunday through Thursday) trip to the Shawnee Inn in early April. We decided on Shawnee because of the fishing trips offered by the resort. For the most part, we were very happy with our experience, although being an “off season” guest proved to be a difficult pill to swallow. Upon arriving (I tried to check in a little earlier than the 4PM check-in time - don’t bother, they’re serious about the 4PM thing) I told the front desk that my husband and I were celebrating something big and I humbly requested a free upgrade. I was told by Peggy that I was welcome to upgrade to a fancy Jacuzzi room for another $100 per night. Ouch! No thanks, but I thought it didn’t hurt to ask. My opinion is why have the fancy room stand empty (the resort was far from full) instead of #1 making me feel special and #2 having me fall in love with a room that next time I stay, I’d be more willing to pay the extra for. This is, of course the staff’s call, but we soon discovered that being an “off season” guest came with it’s limitations even though the difference in price between April and June is only $10 per night. The VERY expensive River Room was the only on premises restaurant that was open with any consistency. The Cafe was excellent, but it was only open for THREE HOURS during our five day stay. The Bistro doesn’t even open until sometime in May. Sam Snead’s was good, but not worth a walk in the rain or quick drive when we could go just a little farther and get a wonderful value at the Shawnee General Store (I had my best meal from the General Store and an excellent breakfast sandwich the next day).

Another “off season” experience I had was with the Spa. I scheduled a combo package for myself and my husband which included the Hot Rock Massage and a Mani/Pedi. I was called back and told that the person who does those types of Massages would not be in on that day. I saw an opportunity to get a little more value for my dollar and requested that they discount the more expensive combo since what I wanted was not available. I was told by Alaina’s manager that this was impossible due to the fact that it was already discounted. I could have the Swedish Massage (which alone is $15 less than the Hot Rock Massage) substituted and we could discount the combo price $11. HUH??? So, again, I’m sure that the Spa was anything but busy for that afternoon, but they didn’t get my business for that day. I did eventually decide to get a less expensive facial and pedicure and Maxine did a wonderful job, but my husband decided not to settle for a treatment that he didn’t want at a price that just didn’t make sense.

The Drift Boat trip, which was the main objective of our vacation was so much fun and we were so grateful that Will, the head fishing guide had the “off season” attitude that we were looking for. He went above and beyond to show us a great time. If we decide to return during the “on season”, it would be to get some more time on the water with Will. I highly recommend booking a fishing trip in Shawnee whether you are a novice (me) or expert (my husband) angler. We both learned tons and tons from Will.

Other likes and dislikes: The bed and sheets were so comfy; the temperature in the room was easily controlled; there was no musty or bad smell in our room at all; the shower head was a little small; Shawnee should invest in one of those rent movies from your room systems (especially during the “off season” when we weren’t able to get out and walk around as much as we would have if it were nicer out); the free (woo hoo) cookies left on the bed at night were so, so very good (I’m going to have dreams about them); the pool closed early some of the nights we were there - even turning a family away 20 minutes before the posted closing time (perhaps “off season” hours should be posted as well??).

It may sound like I was looking to get something for nothing this week, but on the contrary, I was just looking to get the best value for my dollar (it certainly wasn’t nothing... I’ll show you my bill). I booked this vacation six months ago and it was a big decision for us to go through with it even though things, in general, are economically tight. The Shawnee should remember that their business is not only from the rich Golfers who can afford a $6 bowl of instant oatmeal, but also from the people who choose to patronize their resort during the “off season”.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank marnelmorgan
Pennslyvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2009

I have been coming to Shawnee Inn and Villas for 31 years, I even spent my honeymoon here. I have never been disappointed with the Hotel, Villas or services. It has always been a wonderful experience. Staff has always been very kind and helpful. We have used room service at the hotel, and have always been very pleased with it. When staying at the Villas, it has always been a very pleasant experience. We have even become a Villa timeshare owner. Many times we have brought friends with us and they were overly pleased with the experience. Staying at the Shawnee Inn and Villas gives you a great time for a reasonable price. It may be an Old historical Inn, but it has charm and is a class resort. And I have traveled all over the world. Believe me you will be very satisfied with this resort.

Anne Lastichen

• Liked — Very friendly service, lovely charming accommodations, great food.Wonderful atmopshere
  • Disliked — Small bathrooms, but clean.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Shawneelover
robhowell, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 7, 2009
Thank you for placing your review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate that you see the resort for its charm and beauty. As a staff we constantly strive to find new ways to improve our facilities and service. If you have any suggestions, please let us know.
home
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2008

My husband and I spent two nights at the Shawnee Inn, hoping for a romantic little getaway. Imagine our disappointment to find we were given a room with two double beds, instead of the king or queen we had requested. The room itself was fine, although a little small. The worst part was the bathroom. It was literally the smallest bathroom I have ever seen in my life. Two people couldn't be in there at the same time without touching each other. You had to go up a step to enter the bathroom (which my husband forgot about once when leaving the bathroom and literally stumbled his way clear across the bedroom before regaining his footing--amazingly, he wasn't hurt.) The door couldn't open all the way because of the towel rack behind the door. The sink hung several inches over the side of the bathtub because the room was so small. The toilet was about 3 inches from the wall, so you couldn't even get to the toilet paper holder while you were sitting on the toilet--you had to stand up to get to the toilet paper. The toilet ran for a long time after being flushed and appeared to have low water pressure because it didn't flush completely. My husband once lost almost all water pressure while taking a shower. The bottom of the bathtub was loose and wobbly. It's hard to describe, but while you were standing in it, the floor of the tub moved underneath you. The bathroom desperately needed refinishing--the walls, the flooring, the fixtures. It all looked very old and in need of replacing.

The door to the room had both a chain lock and a standard flip-bar lock (so you can open the door a few inches to see out), but the screws for both of these locks had been so strained that it looked as though a good stiff wind could have blown the door open. The locks were barely hanging on in the wooden door. There was certainly no security with those locks. (There was also what appeared to be a deadbolt lock by the handle, which I assume was secure, but I would not have relied on the chain lock and flip-bar lock to open the door and see who was on the other side-and there was no peephole in the door.)

Housekeeping forgot to leave any washcloths on the second night, so we had to go down to the front desk to get some. We interacted with three different front desk employees. Two of them appeared to have great difficulty speaking English well enough to understand what we were saying. The third one (at checkout) gave us a receipt to sign with the wrong guest name on it. It was under our room number apparently, but it wasn't our name (not even close to our name). When I pointed this out to the clerk, she got somewhat agitated and said that was the name in the system for that room. She didn't appear to know what to do. I still don't know how this happened, but she finally printed a new receipt with our name on it. She almost acted like it was our fault! My husband asked her about an item on the activity sheet that was posted and she said she didn't know anything about the activities and that we would have to ask the activity director.

The property was certainly huge and historic and the grounds were pretty. If you enjoy old, historic buildings, you would probably enjoy this place, but if you are interested in that, I would recommend just stopping by to walk through the vast public areas of this hotel, but staying somewhere else.

• Liked — property setting
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank vicki61956
robhowell, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this review, November 29, 2008
Thank you for taking time to write about your experience here. I apologize for the issues you faced at our resort. Communication is a vital part of any business and it seems that ours broke down in a number of places. I assure you that the delivery of bed types, proper activities and ensuring that our guest rooms are stocked with the proper amenities will be addressed. As for the bathrooms and guest room doors, we are fortunate to be the stewards of a beautiul piece of historic property. Our dedication to making this a first class resort is honest and sincere and we hope that you will continue to witness and be part of this renaissance.
Brookhaven
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2008

A group of us visited Shawnee for the Haunted Mystery Murder Weekend. The value for the weekend was incredible. It included our room, several meals, and a variety of activities. Before arriving, we had several questions that were answered by the staff. They were very friendly and helpful.

Check-in was a breeze. As part of our package, they delivered a welcome bag with snacks and water. Nice touch. Our room was nice. The room and bathroom were a little small, but keep in mind that this inn was built in 1911 not 2008. The amenities were nice and the cookies at turn down were great! We could hear our neighbors but not enough to bother us.

Friday night we enjoyed a cocktail hour and a movie....The Shining... very appropriate for the property!

Sat we had a buffet breakfast and enjoyed several rounds of the mystery game. We also used the spa. The Riverstone Massage was fantastic. The manicure of one of my friends was so-so. But, spa management took care of it with no problems. Had the weather been permitting, I am sure the campfire would have been enjoyable. Sat. evening we had a costume ball and dinner. It was fun and the food was good.

Sun. we wrapped up the game and said good-bye to our new friends. Many of us are planning on returning next year.

Sam Sneads Tavern, the coffee shop, and the General Store are all very nice and a good deal for your dollar.

Overall, the inn is beautiful and the staff is very friendly. Everytime we met or passed a staff person they had a smile and a hello. You don't get that everywhere.

We will be visiting again!

• Liked — The friendly staff, the charm of the property
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank Berries97
robhowell, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2008
Thank you for taking time to tell about your experience at Shawnee. Our goal is to provide exceptional guest service in a comfortable, luxurious atmosphere. As you so noted, our historic Inn was built in 1911 and the size of each room varies. In modern resorts, all rooms are built to the same specification. This is part of the charm of staying at a historic resort. We hope to see you at our Spring mystery or next Fall. Thanks again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shawnee on Delaware
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,391 reviews
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,251 reviews

Been to The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!