On Friday, my husband called and wanted to take an overnight trip to the Pocono area to visit Bushkill Falls. He went there often as a child and wanted to take our boys. After looking through countless reviews of area properties I decided to take a chance on this. Based on other reviews, I really wasn't that confident.
We arrived and our first impression was very nice. The landscaping was well groomed and someone was available to take our luggage.
The front desk was helpful during check-in and we were given our room 308.
Very small for a family of four. It had 2 double beds and a small bedstand in between and was basically wall to wall. The decor was fresh. Nice wall coverings, white bedding, small flat screen TV. There was a small closet with coffee maker and ironing board and a rack to put a suitcase. My only complaint was the bathroom...while clean...I would have preferred it had been updated. The fixtures, tub, toilet, sink were very old.
We did have turn down service with cookies in the evening. They were yummy...only 2 cookies and 4 people.....
We took a nice hayride around the property. We took part in a bonfire marshmallow roast. We did have to track people down in order for this to start, though!
On Sunday, we visited the activity center and was greeted by a very nice young girl. She told us all about the property and the reason for the lack of outdoor pool (massive floods damaged it!) and the kids did a craft with her.
Mike at the bonfire and tractor ride was enthusiastic. The girl at the activity desk was sweet. The front desk was nice although I got the feeling the activites and communication among employees was scattered and inconsistant. Everyone was very nice and helpful. I just think it was a bit disorganized.
It is a bit like THE SHINING. A large old hotel, but kept very well. We enjoyed the history of it.
It is a catering hall. There are many parties going on. We saw several weddings, baby shower, baptism, etc in only 1 short stay.
A room on the third floor was quiet, but I could see lower levels being a problem.
Only had coffee in the lobby and it was good. We did have dinner at Sam Snead's and it was great. I had the filet mignon and crab cake and my husband had the filet with shrimp. It was outstanding. We were shocked! My son then ordered the chocolate sack for dessert, well they should rename it the chocolate gift or chocolate box...it was huge! It fed the entire table. The service and atmosphere were wonderful. It was really a treat. We didn't have very high expectations, but our dinner was truly memorable.
We enjoyed our stay. This hotel would appeal to couples or families. You must understand that it is an older property so some things may not be exactly as you expect from a modern day facility. We paid $200 for the night. The Hampton Inn in nearby Strousburg was $170. There you will get the free breakfast and modern room but you will miss out on spectacular grounds, attentive staff, activites and even a piece of history.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Resort in the Pocono Mountains - Discover the historic Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, a unique destination for golf, skiing, vacations and meetings. Located only 75 miles from New York City in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania, the resort is set amidst the splendor of the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. Championship golf, breathtaking views, and some of the finest dining in the Pocono Mountains are only a small part of the Shawnee experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shawnee Inn & Golf Hotel Shawnee On Delaware
- Shawnee Inn And Golf Resort
- Shawnee Hotel On Delaware