“nice surprise!” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
long island, ny
“nice surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2008

On Friday, my husband called and wanted to take an overnight trip to the Pocono area to visit Bushkill Falls. He went there often as a child and wanted to take our boys. After looking through countless reviews of area properties I decided to take a chance on this. Based on other reviews, I really wasn't that confident.

We arrived and our first impression was very nice. The landscaping was well groomed and someone was available to take our luggage.

The front desk was helpful during check-in and we were given our room 308.

The Room:

Very small for a family of four. It had 2 double beds and a small bedstand in between and was basically wall to wall. The decor was fresh. Nice wall coverings, white bedding, small flat screen TV. There was a small closet with coffee maker and ironing board and a rack to put a suitcase. My only complaint was the bathroom...while clean...I would have preferred it had been updated. The fixtures, tub, toilet, sink were very old.

We did have turn down service with cookies in the evening. They were yummy...only 2 cookies and 4 people.....

The Ammenities:

We took a nice hayride around the property. We took part in a bonfire marshmallow roast. We did have to track people down in order for this to start, though!
On Sunday, we visited the activity center and was greeted by a very nice young girl. She told us all about the property and the reason for the lack of outdoor pool (massive floods damaged it!) and the kids did a craft with her.

The Staff:
Mike at the bonfire and tractor ride was enthusiastic. The girl at the activity desk was sweet. The front desk was nice although I got the feeling the activites and communication among employees was scattered and inconsistant. Everyone was very nice and helpful. I just think it was a bit disorganized.

The property:

It is a bit like THE SHINING. A large old hotel, but kept very well. We enjoyed the history of it.

The parties:

It is a catering hall. There are many parties going on. We saw several weddings, baby shower, baptism, etc in only 1 short stay.
A room on the third floor was quiet, but I could see lower levels being a problem.

Restaurants:

Only had coffee in the lobby and it was good. We did have dinner at Sam Snead's and it was great. I had the filet mignon and crab cake and my husband had the filet with shrimp. It was outstanding. We were shocked! My son then ordered the chocolate sack for dessert, well they should rename it the chocolate gift or chocolate box...it was huge! It fed the entire table. The service and atmosphere were wonderful. It was really a treat. We didn't have very high expectations, but our dinner was truly memorable.

Overall:
We enjoyed our stay. This hotel would appeal to couples or families. You must understand that it is an older property so some things may not be exactly as you expect from a modern day facility. We paid $200 for the night. The Hampton Inn in nearby Strousburg was $170. There you will get the free breakfast and modern room but you will miss out on spectacular grounds, attentive staff, activites and even a piece of history.

• Liked — The grounds and common areas
  • Disliked — The bathroom!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank shoney
robhowell, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this review, October 15, 2008
Thank you for taking time to relay your experience at Shawnee. Your comments are taken to heart. Your honest assessment of each area of the resort will be shared with our staff. We are working hard to improve our facilities and service and trust you will take the opportunity to visit again and see the changes. Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your thoughts.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Bucks County, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2008

My husband & I went for what we intended to be a relaxing weekend getaway. Unfortunately I didn't read the reviews posted here or I would have know better than to stay here. There was a wedding taking place the weekend we stayed and the wedding guests got drunk & very rowdy both nights. It is imposible to sleep at night. Friday night was bad, but Sat night was worse. When we came back from dinner (off premises) there were a bunch of wedding guests outside smoking & one guy was urinating on the grass right in front of everyone including us. All throughout the night there were various fights, cursing, & banging--very tense--right outside our door. We called for security & complained to the front desk. When we checked out, there was no record of our complaint & no compensation whatsoever. Conveniently, the manager wasn't there but we were assured that he would call us. We're still waiting. The place also needs a lot of upgrading. It's not worth the price even without the out of control wedding guests. And there is no "Do not disturb" sign for the door. After the 1st sleepless night, my husband golfed & I tried to sleep in, but I had to chase housekeeping who knocked on the door every hour on the hour. I finally got a shower to go out & they opened the door (thankfully I had the chain on) while I was getting dressed! Do yourself a favor & just go somewhere else. I wish I had.

• Liked — My husband liked the golf course.
  • Disliked — Terrible environment.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Travler033
robhowell, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2008
Thank you for your review though difficult to read. I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. As stated in your review, a manager was conveniently absent and has not responded to date to your issues. I make no excuses, but assure you that listening to our guests and responding to their issues is our utmost concern. Each and every review is responded to and the issues mentioned are addressed with each manager and our staff. The beauty of our location make us a perfect sight for weddings. We have security available to try to alleviate some issues with guests who are not as respectful to other guests as we would hope. I will continue to work to empower our staff to address guest concerns immediately and lessen the severity of your displeasure. Thank you again for your time and I hope that someone will speak to you personally in the near future regarding your issues.
Tinton Falls, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2008

Decided on last minute trip away from the Jersey Shore (since that is where we are from) & after an exhaustive search on the internet for the Poconos decided on the Shawnee Inn. We got a very good price for a 3 night stay. When researching this resort on Tripadvisor I noticed that the hotels' manager seemed to reply to most of the comments left by previous customers. I respected that. My wife and I travel rather frequently to all types of destinations. We found this one to be exactly as planned - relaxing with enough activities to keep us busy. She does not play golf and it was not a problem for me. We hit the spa the first day & there seemed to be confusion on the length of services we requested & what we actually received. The online brochure is different than the rates once we got there. It was, however, adjusted to my satisfaction. The staff is local, which is nice and were pretty attentive and knowledgable. Dinner in the River Room was nice, considering they have a relatively new chef w/ some pretty good entries. Decent wine list to accompany the meals. We dress up for our meals - do not do that here. It seems to be a little more casual at dinner than what you may expect. At any time of the day your attire need not exceed khakis & a golf shirt. A nice pathed walk to Sam Snead's provides more casual cuisine in a more livelier atmosphere. We sat outside on the 2nd level which was very pleasant. The next night sat outside on 3rd floor - try to avoid that if possible. There is a nice general store where you can have breakfast, next to Sam Snead's. The buffet breakfast in the Inn was not really worth the price, BUT the coffee was excellent along with the service. The outside restaurant-tables (open for a few hours for lunch) is located under the trees and was very relaxing and had excellent lunch cuisine options and was very moderately priced. I would recommed eating here in this casual atmosphere. Instead of golfing, we hiked the Jersey side of the Appalacahin trail 1 day and canoed the next. I would recommend hiking to Sunfish lake on the white trail and return via the green trail along the creek - very pleasant & great workout. The canoe tour company picks you up right at the resort and you can canoe right back to the resort, or go further, which we did & then get picked up & returned right to the inn (just be patient while you wait for the van). Make sure you make reservations, we did not but got out by 1pm & it was not a problem. Reading about the prior 3 major floods through 2007, could not believe how the hotel recovered along with the golf course. Considereing the Delaware river was up to the front porch and the golf course obliterated I can deal with the minor mustiness that emanated only sometimes in the hotel. It takes a sharp eye for any indication of the floods on the course and even the hotel. I'm glad that they decided to keep the hotel in business & not cut their losses and leave. The indoor pool is nice especially when you lounge outside. Considering all of the previous flooding, I presume that is why the outside pool is empty & does not look like it will be open anytime soon - that was OK with us. My only real gripe is that we booked and paid for a King room and we got a Queen room. Since it was on the 2nd floor with a great view of the front lawn & river I decided not to say anything since I did not want the potential of being moved across the hall to a rear view room. We read that the adjoining doors on the rooms (if we got one with it) allowed all noise from the adjacent room to be heard - so we simply brought a sound machine that drowned the noise out and we slept perfect. The cookies at turndown were a nice touch especially since I have a sweet tooth. The grounds were enjoyable to walk , at any time. I particularly enjoyed viewing the great pictures all over the hotel & restaurants of basically 'the history of golf' - loved the one with Arnold Palmer & Jackie Gleason. Would definitely return, maybe in the fall with the foliage - but would like to get the king bed. Rate the experience a 4 although the resort is more of a 3.

• Liked — The history, quietness & by far, the location.
  • Disliked — The inconsistencies in some of there markting materials.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank JSarbello
robhowell, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2008
Thank you for sharing your experience at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort. We are striving to continuously improve not only the service at the Inn, but the streamlining of information across all mediums. The constructive comments that you have made will be shared with our staff. Thank you again and we hope to see you at Shawnee in the future.
butler nj
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

we arrived early and to hit some golf balls before we played a round of golf.... the people were very nice and friendly... after we hit some golfballs we went to go play a round... as i was walking up carrying my clubs a guy came over and grabbed our clubs for us and got us our cart. the grounds are beautiful! of course by the 5th hole it started to rain! they have a few snack bars around the course that are great! they have a bathroom, seats with umbrellas, beer, mix drinks, food! we all gathered around waiting for the rain to stop but as it did not they closed the course... they did however give us a rain check and we decided to play saturday which worked out great. for dinner we went to the bar/restaurant that is up the hill from the shawnee inn (forget the name) the service was not too bad and the food was alright but i was not happy at the fact they said half price appitizers and $1 off drinks but then when we got there it was only for the bar area so we had to pay full price. plus they charged a $3 plate share for ribs which i could not even eat b/c they were too spicey. they also gave us salad which we did not ask for and then charged $1 for it. not that a $1 a lot but it was the point they try to get you for every little thing. the actual inn has many old photo's which were a lot of fun to go look at. they were on all the walls all around the hotel. in the downstairs of the hotel there was a little smell but i am sure that was from the many floods they had. in 2005 and 2006 they were hit really bad. they have places to eat and amazing pourch in the front with a bunch of chairs to relax on. also the prices int he hotel were not bad at all. i was very happy to know that you didnt have to pay $3.00 for a bottled water but only $1.09. usually hotels jack up the prices for everything but everything seemed reasonable.

• Liked — the amazing views and old time feel...
  • Disliked — that there was no outdoor pool
1 Thank serenacatherine
Thank you for choosing The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort for your getaway. The restaurant at the top of the hill is Sam Snead’s Tavern. We will work to ensure clearer communication in all areas of the restaurant to continue to deliver service that exceeds your expectations. Our fortunate location on the edge of the Delaware River allows us to deliver amazing views from our porch, but sometimes Mother Nature reminds us who is in charge. Improvements to this historic resort are continuous and we hope that you will return to see what changes have been made. Thank you for taking time out to share your comments.
nyc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2008

Lovely resort with nice golf courses, clean delaware river, well maintained indoor pool, excellent spa services, decent food... then the wedding crashers come! The resort had two weddings in one day and the music was still BLASTING at midnight. When we inquired at the front desk, they said the music was supposed to stop at 11:45PM, which seemed very late for a resort with only one building. Obviousy not much consideration was paid to guests who choose this as a vacation destination.
Once the music stopped, the crowd (very drunk by now) got louder and spilled into the hallways. There was a fight and all I heard was "f-you" being screamed down the hall. Didn't get to sleep until after 1AM, so I didnt get to play golf with my husband at 7AM as planned. It is a very charming resort, but weddings are obviously how they make their money so if you can avoid weekends, you will have a very pleasant experience.

• Liked — spa, delaware river in front, scenery, golf
  • Disliked — very noisy
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Your appreciation of the finer things at our historic resort is much appreciated. Thank you for your comments both positive and negative. As you have duly noted, weddings are a large part of our business. Hopefully what you experienced is an infrequent occurrence and not the norm here. We hope you will return to our historic resort sometime in the future whether it is midweek or weekend.
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2008

My boyfriend and I had stayed at the Shawnee before and had a lovely time, so when we had the chance to get away for a weekend, we decided to return. It's only about an hour's drive from NYC and the setting is so beautiful. We love the big front porch and the availability of canoes. Staff takes you up the Delaware and away you go!

When we arrived this time, we were thrilled to see that the grounds and hotel, which were still getting fixed up after a devastating flood just prior to our first visit, were lovingly restored. The golf course looked amazing (and we don't even golf) . The pavillion and lawns were spruced up.

Our rooms are fine--not gorgeous, but clean and we really had none of the problems mentioned with the elevators. The food is good enough, and the staff friendly. As for the pool, well, I swam in it a lot and I'm just fine.

BUT I wish I had called and reserved a room--not used their website. Because there was a huge wedding that weekend. We usually try to avoid places if there's a big event going on.

And though I'm all for weddings, this one was completely out of bounds--the police were called, the kid in the room next to ours was very bloody, the guests were abusive to the front desk staff. Around 2am a domestic fight broke out in front of my room.

Could the hotel have controlled this? Of course not . But when I checked out I complained. While I got an "I'm sorry" no one I asked seemed to be able to comp us anything--I mean, a free meal, a comp on the canoe, even some $$ off of the room would have gone a long way. I was told I'd get a letter of apology from the management and I'm still waiting.

So, my advice is to learn ahead of time if there's going to be a big party. They might behave, but if they don't, you will still pay the price.

• Liked — Gorgeous location; lovely front porch ambiance; close to outdoor hiking/canoeing/etc
  • Disliked — They should have accomodated the non-wedding guests
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveller300072
I apologize in advance that you did not enjoy your stay. As you stated, we have been striving to improve the grounds and the Inn, but that does not improve the atmosphere you desired to find. We hope that guests that choose Shawnee respect not only the Inn, but also the other guests that are staying here. Sometimes this does not happen and situations occur that you described. As I notated in the previous response, we hope this is an infrequent occurrence and not the norm here. We are working to empower our employees to interact with our guests to their satisfaction. We hope that you will decide to return to Shawnee and see what improvements have been made.
Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

My husband & I spent one night at the Shawnee Inn on our way back home from visiting relatives in Connecticut. We probably would have stayed elsewhere if I had read the reviews here first. On the plus side, the setting along the river is beautiful and there is a nice porch with lots of chairs & rockers to sit and enjoy the view. I suppose if we had taken advantage of the amenities like the golf course, we would have had a more favorable impression. As it was we were hiking most of the day and were eager to check in to a nice cool room. As others have mentioned the room and the bath is very small and on the warm side.

Surprisingly our room had a kitchenette area, complete with dishwasher. However the cabinets with the dishes were locked. We had not asked for a kitchenette and would have rather had a bigger room without one. The room had no nightstands beside the bed so the only way to read in bed was to turn on the overhead chandelier which was very bright. There was a small table with a lamp across the room which we ended up relocating to one side of the bed.

After checking in, all we wanted to do was escape the room, so we sat outside till it was time to eat dinner at Sam Sneads, which was very good! We lingered over dinner to avoid going back to the room.

When it was time to go to sleep we looked at the pillows on the bed and there was only one normal pillow, the rest were very large, thick pillows that seemed more like "body pillows" and were very uncomfortable to put under our heads. There was a card on the bed that I didn't notice earlier that listed 5 types of pillows (a "pillow menu") and said to call the concierge to request the one we wanted. The descriptions of the pillows were in terms of threadcount, etc. with no mention of firmness, softness or other descriptors that might have made it easier to order one over the phone! So it was unclear to me what we were supposed to do since it was late. When I asked at the desk the next morning the clerk seemed puzzled and said they just started the pillow menu and she was not familiar with it. I think the pillows in the room should have been regular pillows and the "menu" should have been an option. Since it was late, my husband ended up giving me the one regular pillow and he slept with a folded towel under his head.

I think the property should be cleaned up, repaired and updated if they want people to keep staying there. We will definitely not be going back to the Shawnee Inn!

• Liked — The location along the river, Sam Snead's tavern for dinner
  • Disliked — The small and uninviting room
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
Thank you for sharing your comments. We are glad that you chose Shawnee and the things you found beautiful about the resort are what many guests return for time after time. We are striving to improve our guest rooms and going through them one at a time to make sure they are the best they can be. The kitchenette rooms are requested by guests with children that desire a little more independence from our restaurants. We will unlock them at the request of a guest if they so desire. Many of our guests choose to eat in the variety of restaurants we offer on property. Our pillow menu is brand new and has been revamped since your stay with us. It is just one added amenity in an attempt to exceed our guest’s expectations and offer additional comfort while they are away from home. As we continue our diligent effort to make this a premier resort, I hope you will decide to give us another try in the future. Thank you again for your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shawnee on Delaware
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,386 reviews
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,229 reviews

Been to The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!