“nice, but avoid weekends...when wedding crashers come”

The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 17, 2008

Lovely resort with nice golf courses, clean delaware river, well maintained indoor pool, excellent spa services, decent food... then the wedding crashers come! The resort had two weddings in one day and the music was still BLASTING at midnight. When we inquired at the front desk, they said the music was supposed to stop at 11:45PM, which seemed very late for a resort with only one building. Obviousy not much consideration was paid to guests who choose this as a vacation destination.
Once the music stopped, the crowd (very drunk by now) got louder and spilled into the hallways. There was a fight and all I heard was "f-you" being screamed down the hall. Didn't get to sleep until after 1AM, so I didnt get to play golf with my husband at 7AM as planned. It is a very charming resort, but weddings are obviously how they make their money so if you can avoid weekends, you will have a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
robhowell, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2008

Your appreciation of the finer things at our historic resort is much appreciated. Thank you for your comments both positive and negative. As you have duly noted, weddings are a large part of our business. Hopefully what you experienced is an infrequent occurrence and not the norm here. We hope you will return to our historic resort sometime in the future whether it is midweek or weekend.

Reviewed August 10, 2008

My boyfriend and I had stayed at the Shawnee before and had a lovely time, so when we had the chance to get away for a weekend, we decided to return. It's only about an hour's drive from NYC and the setting is so beautiful. We love the big front porch and the availability of canoes. Staff takes you up the Delaware and away you go!

When we arrived this time, we were thrilled to see that the grounds and hotel, which were still getting fixed up after a devastating flood just prior to our first visit, were lovingly restored. The golf course looked amazing (and we don't even golf) . The pavillion and lawns were spruced up.

Our rooms are fine--not gorgeous, but clean and we really had none of the problems mentioned with the elevators. The food is good enough, and the staff friendly. As for the pool, well, I swam in it a lot and I'm just fine.

BUT I wish I had called and reserved a room--not used their website. Because there was a huge wedding that weekend. We usually try to avoid places if there's a big event going on.

And though I'm all for weddings, this one was completely out of bounds--the police were called, the kid in the room next to ours was very bloody, the guests were abusive to the front desk staff. Around 2am a domestic fight broke out in front of my room.

Could the hotel have controlled this? Of course not . But when I checked out I complained. While I got an "I'm sorry" no one I asked seemed to be able to comp us anything--I mean, a free meal, a comp on the canoe, even some $$ off of the room would have gone a long way. I was told I'd get a letter of apology from the management and I'm still waiting.

So, my advice is to learn ahead of time if there's going to be a big party. They might behave, but if they don't, you will still pay the price.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Traveller300072

I apologize in advance that you did not enjoy your stay. As you stated, we have been striving to improve the grounds and the Inn, but that does not improve the atmosphere you desired to find. We hope that guests that choose Shawnee respect not only the Inn, but also the other guests that are staying here. Sometimes this does not happen and situations occur that you described. As I notated in the previous response, we hope this is an infrequent occurrence and not the norm here. We are working to empower our employees to interact with our guests to their satisfaction. We hope that you will decide to return to Shawnee and see what improvements have been made.

Reviewed August 4, 2008

My husband & I spent one night at the Shawnee Inn on our way back home from visiting relatives in Connecticut. We probably would have stayed elsewhere if I had read the reviews here first. On the plus side, the setting along the river is beautiful and there is a nice porch with lots of chairs & rockers to sit and enjoy the view. I suppose if we had taken advantage of the amenities like the golf course, we would have had a more favorable impression. As it was we were hiking most of the day and were eager to check in to a nice cool room. As others have mentioned the room and the bath is very small and on the warm side.

Surprisingly our room had a kitchenette area, complete with dishwasher. However the cabinets with the dishes were locked. We had not asked for a kitchenette and would have rather had a bigger room without one. The room had no nightstands beside the bed so the only way to read in bed was to turn on the overhead chandelier which was very bright. There was a small table with a lamp across the room which we ended up relocating to one side of the bed.

After checking in, all we wanted to do was escape the room, so we sat outside till it was time to eat dinner at Sam Sneads, which was very good! We lingered over dinner to avoid going back to the room.

When it was time to go to sleep we looked at the pillows on the bed and there was only one normal pillow, the rest were very large, thick pillows that seemed more like "body pillows" and were very uncomfortable to put under our heads. There was a card on the bed that I didn't notice earlier that listed 5 types of pillows (a "pillow menu") and said to call the concierge to request the one we wanted. The descriptions of the pillows were in terms of threadcount, etc. with no mention of firmness, softness or other descriptors that might have made it easier to order one over the phone! So it was unclear to me what we were supposed to do since it was late. When I asked at the desk the next morning the clerk seemed puzzled and said they just started the pillow menu and she was not familiar with it. I think the pillows in the room should have been regular pillows and the "menu" should have been an option. Since it was late, my husband ended up giving me the one regular pillow and he slept with a folded towel under his head.

I think the property should be cleaned up, repaired and updated if they want people to keep staying there. We will definitely not be going back to the Shawnee Inn!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are glad that you chose Shawnee and the things you found beautiful about the resort are what many guests return for time after time. We are striving to improve our guest rooms and going through them one at a time to make sure they are the best they can be. The kitchenette rooms are requested by guests with children that desire a little more independence from our restaurants. We will unlock them at the request of a guest if they so desire. Many of our guests choose to eat in the variety of restaurants we offer on property. Our pillow menu is brand new and has been revamped since your stay with us. It is just one added amenity in an attempt to exceed our guest’s expectations and offer additional comfort while they are away from home. As we continue our diligent effort to make this a premier resort, I hope you will decide to give us another try in the future. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed July 14, 2008

I recently stayed at the Shawnee Inn for a wedding and had an enjoyable time. The room was small, but it was comfortable, clean, and the view was beautiful. I loved the cookies at night and the overall feel was a feeling of hominess. I personally did not experience this, but a one of the barstaff was rude to friends of mine and they were not too pleased. I had a great time and was glad to have a room to stay in.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Likes2Travel61
ShawneeConcierge, Concierge Services Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2008

Thank you for sharing your experience with us as we appreciate and take to heart all of our guests comments and experiences, whether they be positive or negative. We try to offer what we ourselves would expect from a hotel, an inviting and comfortable atmosphere to unwind and relax in. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with us and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed July 6, 2008

I travel quite often and have never been compelled to write a review about a place that I've stayed in but Shawnee Inn is an exception. Aside from the general physical discomfort that other people have mentioned (dampness of the inn, smelly hallways and elevator, tiny size of the room and bathroom), I was quoted a weekend price of $209 for my stay and was told that I can "upgrade" to include breakfast for an additional $20, bringing the total price of each night to be $229. I never recieved a confirmation email but I trusted that I would be charged the same amount that I was quoted over the phone. After spending Friday and Sat nights, I checked out Sunday morning to find a bill of $577.33. THEY CHARGED ME $285 PER NIGHT. When I spoke with the front desk, they were extremely dismissive and expained that the addtional fees were "resort taxes". Aside from the surprise bill, the staff were unfriendly and the food was overpriced (and I'm from NYC). Everything closes by midnight (including the local pizza delivery place) so there's nothing to eat after 12. The pool was extremely unhygienic and I would not suggest you let your kids swim in it. There were signs in the room that explained that "certain items" in the room were on sale and went on to list the price for each item ($90 for the robe, $80 for the duvet cover, etc.) and advised that any item found missing after your stay would be charged to your credit card.

All in all, I would not return to this Inn and would not suggest that anyone stay here.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jencob

I apologize in advance that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Unfortunately it appears that you were unable to take full advantage of the amenities that we do offer as well as the surrounding area. Obviously we are a large step away from the hustle and bustle of New York City and its 24 hour conveniences. However we do like to consider our hotel a place to come and get away from just that, the hustle and bustle of daily life. Our concierge staff is more than capable to suggest and recommend entertainment and night life that is available in the immediate area that will keep you busy till the early morning hours if desired. Of course we are unable to deem what our guest’s personal idea of fun is, but we do have an idea as to where we can send them to find it. We hope that you will take the time to visit us again in the future and thank you again for choosing the Shawnee Inn & Golf Resort.

Reviewed June 17, 2008

When I came here looking for reviews I saw good & bad. BOTH opinions are correct. I'm torn on how to rank it so just let me describe it:

This is an old (built 1911) Poconos inn on a BEAUTIFUL property in a beautiful, quaint area. When you drive in, it's lovely, has a security gate, scenic backdrop across the river of a huge, tree-covered mountain with no houses or businesses - all natural & (even in off-season). Let me say here: I didn't play golf but there were quite a few day golfers around during daylight that didn't stay at night.

The hotel building looks a bit like an old Insane Asylym or old hosptal - white, dingy, multi-storied masonry building that has DEFINITELY seen better days. Has a worn walkway leading from the parking lot to the poorly marked entrance (in NO way a grand entrance). That being said - that's also a small bit of its charm, the hotel seems unchanged (and maybe uncleaned) since the 1930s.

Inside is again, the SAME as it was. A bit dark, carpet & walls a bit dingy. The old elevator is broken with old taped up signs but there is one new elevator that (like another reviewer said) does smell horrible, like old musty mildew mixed with wet dog but it's a short ride or they have beautiful old staircase if you don't have much luggage. The lobby (on 2nd floor) & old library & staircase are charming and pretty.

My room was on 2nd floor and very small: Dead plant in room, okay bed, a large placard telling me not to steal the linens, the comforter, towels, the PLANT or the 4 river rocks in the room as they WILL charge me a large quantity of money if I do. Do they really have that type of guest?? I had the world's tiniest bathroom (but it has a window!) with a large step to get up into the bathroom (remember that at 3am). The rooms are faintly musty (not very).

There are a lot of old large black & white photos which are great: old parties, old golf tourneys, Bob Hope, Jackie Gleason, Ed Sullivan, etc., from the good old days that are great! Very nostalgic.

I stayed in off-season and so it was not crowded at ALL and the hotel interior reminded me of "The Shining" only smaller. Really.

As for the grounds: There is a large (new) pavilion near the Delaware River but not like a dockhouse, the views near it and by the River are pcituresque. Golf course. Spa. Pool. All seem quite nice.

Would I stay again? Maybe for a special event.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank BeanieM
ShawneeConcierge, Concierge Services Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2008

Thank you first off for choosing the Shawnee Inn & Golf Resort. I am sorry that our Inn was not what you expected and failed to meet your expectations for that matter. We pride ourselves on being an alternative to your "typical" resort destination. We also try to stick to our rich history while being able to incorporate modern day amenities and service to our guests. We are regularly updating our facilities as we strive to accommodate everyone that passes through our doors. I hope that we will have the opportunity to better accommodate you in the near future. Again, thank you for choosing the Shawnee Inn & Golf Resort.

Reviewed June 15, 2008

My husband and I went to the Shawnee Inn for a quick 3-day getaway during the week for some golfing and relaxation. We decided to go to the Shawnee Inn since a close friend of mine recommended it as a romantic and relaxing getaway, and we love to play golf, so the adjoining golf course was definitely a plus.

We really enjoyed ourselves a lot! The golf was fun, the course was very pretty with mountain scenery, and the pricing of lessons and the golfing was very reasonable.

The inn is old, yet historical, charming, and well-maintained. It features scenic views of the surrounding area, as well as a small riverside sand beach.

However, I would suggest that when you book the room, make sure you ask for one that is not adjoining to another room. Otherwise, you will hear EVERYTHING your neighbors are doing. Initially, we had an adjoining room, but then we let the hotel staff know, and they quickly changed our room, even upgrading us. We were so happy that they were so accomodating to us, and once the room change was made, we were thrilled. The room was very comfortable and quiet, and there were no problems whatsoever.

The inn offers a nice brunch for about $12 a person. This was very nice in the morning. There are also quite a few restaurant options for lunch and dinner, which we tried and liked - "The Bistro", and "Sam Sneads Tavern". There are some small towns nearby that offer other restaurant options, but nothing we experienced there food-wise really knocked our socks off.

For things to do besides golf - we enjoyed a nice hike at the nearby waterfalls - Bushkill Falls - and there was a pretty good outlet mall at Exit 299 - Tannersville. Great Nike, Burberry, Coach and BCBG outlet stores.

We actually even thought it would be a beautiful place to get married. The staff were setting up for a weekend wedding, and everything looked beautiful.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nyccouple318

Thank you so much for choosing the Shawnee Inn & Golf Resort as your midweek getaway. We are thrilled that you had such a fantastic time here and hope that it did the trick for you. I am also glad that we are able to rectify the issue of noise that you encountered originally as we understand the importance of enjoying a good night's sleep. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with as as this enables us to continue serving our guests with exceptional customer service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shawnee on Delaware
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 7 in East Stroudsburg
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek

Been to The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!