“I'm torn: Nostalgic & Worth It OR Run Down & Needing help”

The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
GreenLeadersBronze level
Savannah Georgia US
“I'm torn: Nostalgic & Worth It OR Run Down & Needing help”
Reviewed June 17, 2008

When I came here looking for reviews I saw good & bad. BOTH opinions are correct. I'm torn on how to rank it so just let me describe it:

This is an old (built 1911) Poconos inn on a BEAUTIFUL property in a beautiful, quaint area. When you drive in, it's lovely, has a security gate, scenic backdrop across the river of a huge, tree-covered mountain with no houses or businesses - all natural & (even in off-season). Let me say here: I didn't play golf but there were quite a few day golfers around during daylight that didn't stay at night.

The hotel building looks a bit like an old Insane Asylym or old hosptal - white, dingy, multi-storied masonry building that has DEFINITELY seen better days. Has a worn walkway leading from the parking lot to the poorly marked entrance (in NO way a grand entrance). That being said - that's also a small bit of its charm, the hotel seems unchanged (and maybe uncleaned) since the 1930s.

Inside is again, the SAME as it was. A bit dark, carpet & walls a bit dingy. The old elevator is broken with old taped up signs but there is one new elevator that (like another reviewer said) does smell horrible, like old musty mildew mixed with wet dog but it's a short ride or they have beautiful old staircase if you don't have much luggage. The lobby (on 2nd floor) & old library & staircase are charming and pretty.

My room was on 2nd floor and very small: Dead plant in room, okay bed, a large placard telling me not to steal the linens, the comforter, towels, the PLANT or the 4 river rocks in the room as they WILL charge me a large quantity of money if I do. Do they really have that type of guest?? I had the world's tiniest bathroom (but it has a window!) with a large step to get up into the bathroom (remember that at 3am). The rooms are faintly musty (not very).

There are a lot of old large black & white photos which are great: old parties, old golf tourneys, Bob Hope, Jackie Gleason, Ed Sullivan, etc., from the good old days that are great! Very nostalgic.

I stayed in off-season and so it was not crowded at ALL and the hotel interior reminded me of "The Shining" only smaller. Really.

As for the grounds: There is a large (new) pavilion near the Delaware River but not like a dockhouse, the views near it and by the River are pcituresque. Golf course. Spa. Pool. All seem quite nice.

Would I stay again? Maybe for a special event.

• Liked — Scenic area, nostalgic old inn
  • Disliked — Musty. Hotel has seen MANY better days. Needs cleaning.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank BeanieM
ShawneeConcierge, Concierge Services Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this review, June 25, 2008
Thank you first off for choosing the Shawnee Inn & Golf Resort. I am sorry that our Inn was not what you expected and failed to meet your expectations for that matter. We pride ourselves on being an alternative to your "typical" resort destination. We also try to stick to our rich history while being able to incorporate modern day amenities and service to our guests. We are regularly updating our facilities as we strive to accommodate everyone that passes through our doors. I hope that we will have the opportunity to better accommodate you in the near future. Again, thank you for choosing the Shawnee Inn & Golf Resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Manhattan, New York
Reviewed June 15, 2008

My husband and I went to the Shawnee Inn for a quick 3-day getaway during the week for some golfing and relaxation. We decided to go to the Shawnee Inn since a close friend of mine recommended it as a romantic and relaxing getaway, and we love to play golf, so the adjoining golf course was definitely a plus.

We really enjoyed ourselves a lot! The golf was fun, the course was very pretty with mountain scenery, and the pricing of lessons and the golfing was very reasonable.

The inn is old, yet historical, charming, and well-maintained. It features scenic views of the surrounding area, as well as a small riverside sand beach.

However, I would suggest that when you book the room, make sure you ask for one that is not adjoining to another room. Otherwise, you will hear EVERYTHING your neighbors are doing. Initially, we had an adjoining room, but then we let the hotel staff know, and they quickly changed our room, even upgrading us. We were so happy that they were so accomodating to us, and once the room change was made, we were thrilled. The room was very comfortable and quiet, and there were no problems whatsoever.

The inn offers a nice brunch for about $12 a person. This was very nice in the morning. There are also quite a few restaurant options for lunch and dinner, which we tried and liked - "The Bistro", and "Sam Sneads Tavern". There are some small towns nearby that offer other restaurant options, but nothing we experienced there food-wise really knocked our socks off.

For things to do besides golf - we enjoyed a nice hike at the nearby waterfalls - Bushkill Falls - and there was a pretty good outlet mall at Exit 299 - Tannersville. Great Nike, Burberry, Coach and BCBG outlet stores.

We actually even thought it would be a beautiful place to get married. The staff were setting up for a weekend wedding, and everything looked beautiful.

• Liked — Many options, VERY reasonable
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nyccouple318
Thank you so much for choosing the Shawnee Inn & Golf Resort as your midweek getaway. We are thrilled that you had such a fantastic time here and hope that it did the trick for you. I am also glad that we are able to rectify the issue of noise that you encountered originally as we understand the importance of enjoying a good night's sleep. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with as as this enables us to continue serving our guests with exceptional customer service.
PA
Reviewed June 9, 2008

We attempted to stay here after after my brothers wedding. It was a very hot day so my husband and I turned the AC on in the room before the reception started. Once the reception was over we returned to our room and it was still hot. We called maintenance they came up and told us that the AC was on a motion detector. It was 75 degrees in our room and actually went up a degree while we were in there. We asked for a room without an AC on motion detector because it seem to me like it would go off while we slept. We were brought to a new room that was 73 degrees. It was to hot to sleep in a room like that especially for the price we were paying for the room, so we asked for our money back and went home (which was only about a half hour away).

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
On behalf of the Shawnee Inn & Golf Resort I would like to apologize for your unfortunate and apparently uncomfortable stay with us. It is very seldom that something of this nature happens in our guest rooms and I assure you that the specific issue was remedied, albeit too late. It is one of our main concerns that our guests are comfortable while staying with us and enjoy themselves to the fullest. We hope that you will take the time to come visit us again and take advantage of everything we have to offer our guests.
NJ
Reviewed April 29, 2008

If you like the smell of old wet dog in the halls this is the place for you. It prides it self on being quaint. I thought it was old, tiered and stunk like dog.

• Liked — Great view
  • Disliked — Dog smell
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Michaelsreview
ShawneeConcierge, Concierge Services Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2008
It is our priority at the Shawnee Inn & Golf Resort to see to it that each guest receives nothing less than our full attention and hospitality during their stay.

The last week of April saw us hosting a large dog show on our premises so the presence of our furry friends was apparent throughout our facility. I apologize that this affected your stay and initial impression of us as a resort destination. It is not our normal policy to allow pets in our hotel as we under all normal circumstances are pet free!

I hope that you will grant us another chance to show you our hospitality and concern for all our guests needs while they stay with us.

New Jersey
Reviewed February 20, 2008

We stayed here and thought the hotel was just okay. We thought we were staying at the main building BUT after arriving they told us that we were staying at the "lodge" which was basically a motel. Rooms were clean and the bedding was clean. For the price, we could of stayed at a motel six and got the same accomodations. We stayed at the deleware lodge which is basically a seperate building away from all of the amneties the hotel has to offer. If we wanted to do anything we had to walk to the main building. I would definately look around and see if there is a better place to stay then the Shawnee Inn.

• Liked — Bedding
  • Disliked — The motel like accomodations
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Head78
Boston
Reviewed October 30, 2007

Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort is an amazing location to host the wedding of your dreams. We hosted a welcome dinner for 150 people at Sam Sneads of Friday evening and had an amazing time, enjoying their outdoor deck space and great cuisine. Saturday morning Shawnee hosted 30 of our guests on their golf course and took care of our entire bridal party (+) at the spa. The staff at the salon is friendly, very talented and pampers you in every way. The Inn is beautiful, with an absolutely stunning outdoor veranda that all of our guests enjoyed. All our rooms were clean, charming and comfortable. Our ceremony by the river was breathtaking followed by cocktail hour on the veranda. The food was outstanding and our signature cocktail was a hit. The catering staff and management worked extra hard to ensure all of our guests were happy with their food and service. We hosted a breakfast on Sunday morning for our guests at the Inn and were again amazed at the service. Simone Colon is an amazing wedding coordinator, who took care of every aspect of our wedding weekend. We would recommend Shawnee Inn to everyone!

• Liked — Service and Atmosphere
  • Stayed September 2007
10 Thank rpearson1231
Shavertown, PA
Reviewed October 30, 2007

My husband and I got married at the Shawnee Inn few weeks ago. It was the perfect Fall Wedding! Thanks to Shawnee's Wedding Specialist (Simore Colon) and staff...they did a wonderful job for making our day extra special! From the outdoor ceremony site, cocktails at the veranda to the reception at the Worthington Ballroom and let us not forget the Rehearsal Dinner in the Pearsall Room, the day before the Wedding and also the Post Wedding Breakfast in the Delaware Room were all wonderful! All of our guests really enjoyed themselves and we couldn't ask for anything more! Great food and hospitality!

When we came to see the place in a snowy day in March, we totally fell in love with the resort and the history behind it. We love the fact that it was by the Delaware River and with a great view of the Pocono Mountains! After Simone took us around, my future husband and I knew that this is the place we wanted to get married and we were not disappointed at all. It was everything how we wanted it to be.

We blocked rooms for families and friends for our weekend affair and all we heard were positive thoughts. Most of our guests stayed in the regular rooms and as I have seen, they were clean and comfortable. Each room is designed differently and I liked the plants they provided with a little note as an added touch in the rooms. We had the Honeymoon Suite with Jacuzzi and that was a great place! Very spacious, nice bath and the Jacuzzi was great as well! I love their nightly turn down service as they provided chocolate chip cookies at night...a nice glass of milk would be nice, too, but that might be asking too much. LOL!

Some of my family and friends also played golf and they had an awesome time. Others, used the pool and other amenities and everyone had a great time. Their newly opened Spa was awesome. The girls were very accomodating and gave us the best service!

Their service were truly impeccable. The staff is very friendly, helpful and courteous. All they wanted to do is to make their guests happy and they really did a good job on it. Actually, the resort is constantly doing a lot of renovations to make their place much better. That's a good sign, you know that they're doing the best they can to provide a top notch accomodation for their guests. We spent the whole weekend there and we can't even tell that they were replacing the roof of the hotel until you see the pictures later on, but even with that it was hardly noticeable! How we wished we stayed there longer to enjoy the resort activities. My husband and I will definitely be back there again. We can't wait to take advantage of the Guided Fly Fishing with Wil Stryeski and kayak through the Delaware River!

Overall, our experience at the Shawnee Inn was spectacular! If you like a place that's warm, friendly with an Inn that's full of history behind it, this is the place for you and you'll never regret it! It's the hidden secret in the Pocono Mountains with a touch of class and elegance!!!

• Liked — Everything the resort offered
  • Disliked — None...everything was great!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
11 Thank mspflorobernstein
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shawnee on Delaware
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek

Been to The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!